Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 23, 2016

Following up two years after Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Mankind Divided sees Adam Jensen working to thwart a terrorist organization bent on promoting human augmentation. It serves as a prequel to Deus Ex, the first entry in the series.

Our dystopian nightmare future has arrived.

• 121 results
    DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

This is amazing. I love completely audacious marketing bullshit like this.

Nevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

This has soured me on anticipating the game. I'd like to play a followup to Human Revolution, but just feel so tired trying to get my head around this nonsense, and don't like the idea of having substantial in game content like missions locked away from me, that I think I am just going to give it a miss altogether. Well done Square Enix marketing, you just lost a purchase.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

It's stupid, but it's not a bad idea actually and will probably sell really well, which is cool, because I can then go and buy that game in a store 4 days earlier.

CouldbeRolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I just find it hard to be upset about this.

The tier thing is just a marketing ploy. It means nothing.

The skins are the same as retailer specific skins, but now you can choose the one you want and still buy it where ever you want. Extra mission? They are never good and almost always a waste of time. Early access for preordering, while not as common, is nothing new either. I guess there's just something I'm failing to understand, because this just seems like a normal pre-order deal with a vaguely different coat of paint.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

People who jump up and say wooh at that 'four days early ' delivery make me physically ill. I hope those people don't exist.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

In an era where new games launch broken a lot of the time, is releasing a game four days early really a top tier reward?

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By hassun

@wuddel: I wouldn't really put donating to a kickstarter and pre-ordering a game in the same category.

@starvinggamer: The title is a reference to Deus Ex itself (and Alex Navarro). And you're right about the separate threads. That's why I wanted to cut it short in the FGC one. The SFV and Deuce 4 pre-order stuff just coincidentally appeared at nearly the same time.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

We get more and more of this crap as long as idiots keep preordering games. Since games generally are gullible and naive, things will only get worse.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I kinda don't care about this tbh. If people wanna participate in this more power to them. I don't see what the big deal is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@hassun said:

@wuddel: I wouldn't really put donating to a kickstarter and pre-ordering a game in the same category.

Yeah, pre-ordering a game means you'll actually get it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
    deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll pre-order what I want when I want. Thanks!

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@coryukin: The fact that you think that is "free stuff" is pretty disturbing.

@brodehouse: Savage!

@demoskinos: It's quite simple. The more people who partake in this scummy behaviour the more prevalent it will become and vice versa.

I'm quite happy that they made the video private because it could be a sign that the negative reaction to this scummy bullshit is having a positive effect.

KentonClay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#64  Edited By KentonClay

"Preorder Bonus: A mediocre mission that we probably would have just left on the cutting room floor if not for this promotional deal."

Gee, I can't wait to pre-order and make the game worse. Or maybe the mission IS important, and fuck you to everyone who didn't preorder! The extra out-of-game stuff doesn't bug me, but devs being forced to cripple the game in some way for the purposes of a marketing deal does.

I know movies have directors cuts, but those usually come out long after the initial theatrical cut. games seem to be unique in that people act as though just throwing in more "content" is a good thing that will automatically lead to the product having more "value," even if that content messes up the pacing or results in a lower average quality. Offer me a preorder version that takes out all the levels that exist for no other reason than to pad out the game and make it long enough to justify the 60 dollar retail price and I'd be more likely to consider it.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: That is entirely what I'm saying I don't care if this becomes a trend. Its nothing that I feel like getting angry about. Either Im interested in a game or Im not people hawking pre-order bonuses isn't ever the thing that will get me to buy a game but if I'm already committed to buying a game then yeah I'll most likely pre-order it. Although, in my case its mostly because I just want the pre-load seeing as I do not buy physical video games any more.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#66  Edited By jkz

Well that's pretty fuckin dumb.

*Shrug*

Coryukin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@hassun: What else would you call it if not free? I did not have a copy of Metal Gear: Ground Zeroes before I pre-ordered MGSV. Now, after pre-order, I have one without needing to pay twenty dollars. That sounds free to me.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Just want to point out that what we're getting up in arms about is a commercial for a preorder bonus that is no different than any other preorder bonus except there's a chance you'll get more pointless shit than is typical and it is not saddled with annoying, retailer-specific restrictions.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#69  Edited By audioBusting

I thought this was one of those crazy marketing campaigns like "amputate your limb and become a cyborg to get a copy of our game!" kind of thing... I know it's just hyperbole on the Internet and all but this doesn't seem so bad in our post-kickstarter world. I feel like this model is way better than retail-specific preorder bonuses on its own.

Edit: and I don't mean to be backseat modding, but isn't intentionally vague thread titles against the rules?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I'm going to play this game regardless and I'll happily play it four days before everyone who didn't preorder.

Sorry, was I supposed to be angry or something? I'm aware that I might be preordering a bad game.

I can't watch the video, I'm on a phone at work.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#71  Edited By Giantstalker

Thanks for the heads up, just jumped on Steam to secure my pre-order!

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yet another thread about pre-order incentives that leaves me no more upset about them than I was before I read it.

afields101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By afields101

HAHAHA this is kinda scary, I remember when you just paid for a game 49.99 and it was all there now its like buying legos, you get the base set then you need to get the starwars pieces as well as the Jurassic Park pieces..... Video games are stupid.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Zeik

@spoonman671 said:

Yet another thread about pre-order incentives that leaves me no more upset about them than I was before I read it.

Pretty much. It's kinda lame I guess, but *shrug*. It will have literally zero impact on whether I decide to buy the game or not or even whether I decide to pre-order or not. Frankly I'm more annoyed when they split pre-order bonuses up between different retailers than the sound of this.

Of all the scummy marketing BS out there this seems pretty tame.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By hassun

@giantstalker: "That'll teach em! Haha!"

@coryukin: I thought you were talking about the Manking Divided stuff. Then again MGSV is actually also a decent example of why that is a fallacy. Ground Zeroes likely only exists because Konami wanted to make extra money on the development of MGSV. Basically the Tanker mission of MGS2 or the Virtuous Mission of MGS3 only separated from the main game and sold as a standalone product.

@demoskinos: Euh, congratulations on not caring I guess? It's great that none of that stuff has any effect on you but I'm going to guess (based on sales data of similar campaigns) it actually does have a pretty strong effect on plenty of other people.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm assuming they made the video private because it was getting shit on so hard? That's hilarious.

And did I interpret their fancy pre-order measuring graphic correctly in that if 100% of the WORLD pre-orders the game, it unlocks 4 days early?

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They make this pre order video feel even more dirty with the female A.I. informing you about it as emotionless as possible.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: DLC hasn't ruined games and neither will this or microtransactions or any of the other issues that people freak out about.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By audiosnow

#CANTKILLPROGRESS

#CANWEKILLPREORDERINGPLEASE?

But hey, at least it's better than the usual preorder BS.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I mean this seems no stupider than most preorder stuff, they just seem to be leaning in on it more

DT9k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By DT9k

I feel like that's the most marketing I've ever heard in a single advertisement

Loading Video...

SirFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doesn't really seem any worse than any other preorder shit nowadays, besides it can't be stupider than the stuff people put money into on kickstarter.

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty sure 2K has been doing this for a while. I remember something like this on Steam for Bioshock, Civ and maybe Xcom.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's odd seeing so many outraged by something that doesn't even register to me as something to be even mildly annoyed about. You guys should know by now that the pre-order content in games is never really any good, so you aren't missing out if you decide not to do it. And as for the people no longer buying the game in protest? Just seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face to me.

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I don't see anything wrong with their pre-order bonuses, pre-ordering in general, funding kickstarters, etc.

Do what you want with your money.

Coryukin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@hassun : Are you talking about whether or not Ground Zeroes should exist as a game or whether pre-order bonuses should exist? Those are not the same things.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked Human Revolution. One of those games that I played through multiple times. Knew the ins and out, knew the exploits, knew where the game could bug out. Got me to play the original Deus Ex as well, which, despite not having aged all the gracefully, is still a good game.

I was pretty excited for Mankind Divided. This makes me less so.

Though, to be honest, I really don't see what is provoking the crazy outrage. It is a ham-fisted marketing attempt, sure, but outside of the whole 4 days (which is asinine), nothing here is really all that different from the norm.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I was prepared to make a comment about how people should stop getting so butthurt over all this, but I made a thread not too long ago complaining that my favoritest waifu might not make into DOAX3...so I don't feel like I'm necessarily in a position to judge.

That said, this isn't some new trend. if anything, it's only gotten more prevalent over the years. Rage on if you must, but I would prepare to make peace with this business model lest you stay eternally outraged over something that, let's be real, isn't that bad at the end of the day.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't this sorta like what Valve did with Portal 2? Gotta get dat golden potato son!

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really want everyone to pre-order this from Amazon, which doesn't charge you until it ships, and then cancel their pre-order as soon as it reaches the final goal. That's not going to happen, but I'd just love to see if Square Enix would do anything in response to that, or if they'd still release it early.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So preorder it....or don't. Who gives a fuck? We'll drop hundreds of dollars on a Kickstarter and that's a pre-preorder.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Jesus, this pre-order is so good, I need to pre-order the pre-order to make sure I have my pre-order reserved and ready to go!

Avatar image for renegadedoppelganger
    RenegadeDoppelganger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steam has allowed games to have had this same tiered pre-order rewards system for a while. They also seem to be doing away with retailer exclusive bonuses in favour of their own system where they let you pick the thing you want. That seems like less of a headache than this bullshit.

It's 2015. There was a videogame tournament this year which raised nearly $20,000,000 based on the purchases of a magical book and glittery cosmetics for a game costs nothing to actually play or watch. Kickstarters ask for hundreds of thousands of dollars on the mere promise of a video game sometime in the near future.

Is this really where we're drawing a line in the sand?

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Can't say this bothers me much. I won't pre order the game, but I'll grab it shortly after release regardless of silly marketing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.