Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 18, 2014

Dragon Age: Inquisition is the third installment in the Dragon Age series of role-playing games developed by BioWare.

Show off your Inquisitor

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By altairre

It seems the character creator is pretty robust this time and since I always spend a ton of time creating my character I'm curious how the different Inquisitors will look. Here's the place to show them off. There are already a few impressive pictures out there and I'll contribute to this thread as well as soon as I can get my hands on a copy.

Where are my dragons?
    Where are my dragons?

The other end of the spectrum
    The other end of the spectrum

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By nightriff

@altairre: your female inquisitor reminds me of Danni from Game of Thrones. Edit: and those aren't your characters, should've read first

Haven't gotten to start my campaign yet but he will be a male, warrior, with black or dark brown hair. Really generic but my first playthroughs of games tend to reflect how I view myself...fine, how I view my digital self. Thus why my first play through a are always good/right thing to do

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Nice rendition of Daenerys but it'll be a bit weird when you have to start killing dragons!

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Ravelle
    No Caption Provided

As a fan of Sword Art Online I decided to roleplay that I log on to different games with the same avatar. It makes the experience a lot more personal.

Would have been cool if Jennifer Hale did the VO of the human again.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#5  Edited By alistercat

A piece of advice. Makeup needs to be a lot more subtle than it appears in the character creator. Other than that, I like my character. I should do, I had to make her over 5 times in a row due to glitches ¬_¬

No Caption Provided

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By altairre

@alistercat: I read that a lot, especially about the glossy lips option. I also really don't like the hair in this game, most of it looks pretty bad. Other than that it's pretty much all I'd want from a character creator.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7 sweep  Moderator

@altairre: Bioware has never been able to get hair right, especially for women. Most of the femshep hairstyles looked like they were made of plastic.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@sweep: All the hair choices are crap for female characters. The first game I did a ponytail, I believe. Second game a bun. This game seemed worse than that, at least to me when I was creating my character last night.

I'll take a screen shot when I get home. I think she came out pretty good, but yeah, the hairstyles are garbage pretty much. :D

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9 sweep  Moderator

@jadegl: Tomb raider had good hair, though it was a little too light.

Videogame developers should have costume/makeup artists and designers on staff. I don't understand how fashion can be so important in other visual mediums and predominantly dismissed in videogames.

ateatree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ateatree

The hair choices on the Quinari are both kind of interesting and also kind of infuriating, as the hair and horn styles are locked together (but then, so are face type and voice? I mean really, what the hell.) I guess it's easier on their end to help avoid meshing issues, but it definitely feels restrictive.

No Caption Provided

And, in case you didn't know this already, Quinari wear scary toxic face paint instead of helmets. So here's how she looks most of the time:

Sting '99, anyone?
    Sting '99, anyone?

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweep: Do you mean with TressFX or without? Because I think TressFX in Tomb Raider looks like garbage, the hair is moving everywhere like it's a creepy sentient being and the clipping doesn't help. Unless you're into that sort of thing I guess.

@jadegl: I hope I can find something decent looking since my character is going to be female as well, which is a first for a Bioware game. Thought I'd switch it up for a change. Only one more day until it's out here.

@ateatree: That facepaint is creepy looking. Don't know if that's a good or a bad thing though. The limitations for Qunari are kind of weird, I hadn't heard of that. Seems like there is racism beyond the actual gameplay.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweep: I think it's because they figure people may not care about that kind of stuff? Maybe since most games are marketed and developed for a more male oriented audience they figure that they may not care about the makeup and hair options on the female avatars? I honestly don't know. But if I could get pretty Tomb Raider hair in DA (or any RPG that allows for customization for that matter) I would be pretty happy. I know that stuff like hair can be really hard (look at any WWE game, RPGs, etc) so I don't hold it against a game at all, however.

It was really fun playing with the makeup options in the game. I wish I could have gotten a better idea of how they looked in game. My lips ended up being more glossy than I expected, but otherwise it looked pretty good. There were no weird face issues, like I had with my Shepard in Mass Effect. For anyone who may not have read my Shepard blog, not that I expect anyone to, I ended up making a fem Shep with a broken nose which started as an unfortunate mistake and ended up being a beloved character flaw by the end of the second game, so much so that I recreated it when I couldn't do a proper character import for ME3. :D

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jadegl

@altairre: I got her to look pretty good. I picked one of the short bob haircuts (there were two to choose from in that style) and fiddled a long time with the makeup and eyes to make her look as good as I could without making myself crazy. Like I said in an earlier post, the lips look more glossy in game, so I would recommend erring on the side of caution when adjusting that slider. I would probably put it at the very bottom or close to it. I went just past midway up the slider and her lips are a bit too glossy, but it's not a deal killer for me. :)

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By altairre

@jadegl: That'd be a weird reason though because there are plenty of dudes playing a female character and they're complaining about the hair as well. I think part of the problem is that the rest of the character looks better than say Mass Effect or the previous Dragon Age games so the difference is especially jarring. The faces in Bioware games always looked a bit plasticky and that's still somewhat the case in Inquisition but I still think it's quite a bit better in comparison. I agree that hair is extremely difficult to do but it seems especially shitty here. Madness Returns still has the best hair tech in my opinion even if it is a bit floaty.

Edit: Started writing this before I saw your second post. I think the hair of the Daeneris in the op looks decent as well. And yeah, I'll be carefull with the glossy slider.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By probablytuna

Anyone know if you can change appearances later in the game or are you stuck with your choices?

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By azrailx

@ravelle said:

As a fan of Sword Art Online I decided to roleplay that I log on to different games with the same avatar. It makes the experience a lot more personal.

Would have been cool if Jennifer Hale did the VO of the human again.

Your fourm avatar > SAO

triplestan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By triplestan

My first character in any RPG is always a vague approximation of myself, albiet much more handsome than I am in real life. I have a fairly long nose, so any character I try to make true to life ends up looking almost offensively bad. Either way, he came out looking like the whitest man in Thedas, so I guess it's at least somewhat accurate.

No Caption Provided

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bane

The character creator in this game is ridiculous. I'm sure it's good for those who appreciate such things, but I'm a choose-a-default-and-change-the-major-features or press-randomize-until-it-doesn't-look-like-a-monster kind of guy.

No Caption Provided

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By altairre
    No Caption Provided

I was finally able to create my Inquisitor and I'm pretty happy with how she ended up looking. Now to start the actual game.

Duecenage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Duecenage

This is Zh'Wane, the third Zwain character I've made for the series. Changed it up by making her Qunari, and a girl.

No Caption Provided

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Jaktajj

@ravelle: That's a cool idea. I use a similar concept except I like to imagine my player character is the same person in whichever universe that particular game is set, with her backstory edited only very slightly to fit the universe she's in. Sort of like the same person being seen in multiple alternate dimensions. I always try to get her to look similar and use similar things and make decisions based on her, by now, quite well developed personal choices.

The game isn't out in the UK til tomorrow but I really wanted to chime in and say that because i haven't read about anyone else doing something like that!

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Jimbo

The character creator is pretty fantastic, but there are a couple of things holding it back:

Hair. 2014 and game hair is still terrible, and this is no exception. The hair is so much lower in quality than everything else that it stands out like a sore thumb.

Lighting (/Makeup). They were pretty adamant they had fixed this so that CC lighting would give you a fairly good idea of what your character would look like in the game itself. They haven't. You'll want to dial any makeup settings back a few from what looks right in the CC, otherwise you are definitely going to end up looking like a clown or a mime.

I made a couple of characters. The first I'm happy with (no hair or makeup!), and the second I was reasonably happy with in the CC but not so much in the game (sometimes she looks fine, other times awful).

Zélim

No Caption Provided

I originally wanted to use the Qunari option to basically just make a big black (human) dude, but unfortunately the dark skin tones are either jet black or a weird copper colour (like Sten was), and you can't do much about the ears. Still pretty happy with how this one turned out - I love how messed up his head looks.

Florence

No Caption Provided

Fine, fine, MIME!

Anyone know if you can change appearances later in the game or are you stuck with your choices?

You're stuck for now unfortunately. They said they would try to add that option post-launch though.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Compared to Origins creator, these looks fantastic. I can't wait to play this tonight.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@el_tajij said:

@ravelle: That's a cool idea. I use a similar concept except I like to imagine my player character is the same person in whichever universe that particular game is set, with her backstory edited only very slightly to fit the universe she's in. Sort of like the same person being seen in multiple alternate dimensions. I always try to get her to look similar and use similar things and make decisions based on her, by now, quite well developed personal choices.

The game isn't out in the UK til tomorrow but I really wanted to chime in and say that because i haven't read about anyone else doing something like that!

Thanks! I really like to immerse myself in videogames and roleplay and with games like Bioware makes I can pretty much develop the character I want.

I live in the Netherlands so the game wasn't out yet officially here either, I used VPN to unlock and play the game. Usually don't do that but I couldn't wait anymore.

superjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By superjoe

A lot of mages here. The Giant Bomb community loves wizards.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@altairre: Woah, that looks exactly like Daenerys! I would have followed the books though and given her purple irises.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I think my Quinari looks ok, but I feel like i could do better though.

Do I love being a Quinari because in cut-scenes you are just towering over everyone in height.

No Caption Provided

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jimbo

One more. Now to decide which to play as :/

Wanderer

No Caption Provided

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@triplestan: your character almost looks exactly the same as mine, now I have to post mine up lol

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By LiquidPrince

@azrailx said:

@triplestan: your character almost looks exactly the same as mine, now I have to post mine up lol

Mine as well. I'd say mine is a tad more handsome XD

JordoST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By JordoST
    No Caption Provided

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3
    deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jadegl said:

@sweep: I think it's because they figure people may not care about that kind of stuff? Maybe since most games are marketed and developed for a more male oriented audience they figure that they may not care about the makeup and hair options on the female avatars?

I doubt it. Historically speaking, fans of this genre have tended to get pretty invested in character customisation. Incidentally, I think the male options are vastly inferior to the female options in the character creator. I had to go with a female elf rogue because I couldn't come up with a male who didn't look creepy as hell.

Oh yeah, and the video settings have a huge effect on how the hair looks. On low/medium it looks kind of shiny and weird.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#35  Edited By musubi

@jadegl said:

@sweep: All the hair choices are crap for female characters. The first game I did a ponytail, I believe. Second game a bun. This game seemed worse than that, at least to me when I was creating my character last night.

I'll take a screen shot when I get home. I think she came out pretty good, but yeah, the hairstyles are garbage pretty much. :D

Yes. They are. I want long hair. I like long hair, I have long hair myself. There are only like two mid-length options and it sucks. :(

Here is my inquisitor. Alisaie Bellerose

No Caption Provided

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

newhaap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By newhaap

My inquisitor Iris Trevelyan. I wish there were more hair options though. Also, she looks okay here but most of the game so far she looks more confused than inquisitive...

No Caption Provided

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My Inquisitor ended up looking way better in the creator than the actual game, very shiny and the eye makeup came out looking a little on the odd side.

On the plus side, my Dalish rogue is popping off flaming arrows like it is going out of style.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By gaminghooligan

My Inquisitor ended up looking way better in the creator than the actual game, very shiny and the eye makeup came out looking a little on the odd side.

On the plus side, my Dalish rogue is popping off flaming arrows like it is going out of style.

That lip shine.

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaminghooligan: Pretty much, would be nice to be able to go in and tweak my Inquisitor a bit, but nothing terrible.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

I picked the default human male option number five and took the default name of Maxwell.

Enjoying it so far. I'll probably obsess over the character creator one on of my many playthroughs, if I know myself at all...

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, Alice: Madness Returns had some legit hair, and that game came out like 3 years ago. How can nobody do hair that well aside from Tomb Raider? Granted, their tech in Alice may only work when the hair is a shoulder length cut that isn't styled in any particular way other than being straightened.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, Alice: Madness Returns had some legit hair, and that game came out like 3 years ago. How can nobody do hair that well aside from Tomb Raider? Granted, their tech in Alice may only work when the hair is a shoulder length cut that isn't styled in any particular way other than being straightened.

Random thought of the day! (said in Jeff's Tweet of the Week voice)

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried to post the picture but it keeps getting rotated for some reason :(

I must have started the game over like 2 dozen times to get the character the way I wanted. I really would like it if we could just change our character's appearance anytime we wanted. It sounds SO much better, especially when you go through the first few cutscenes and see/say stuff like "ew... those checkbones. What was I thinking?"

triplestan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My first character in any RPG is always a vague approximation of myself

@azrailx said:

Mine as well. I'd say mine is a tad more handsome XD

ARE YOU TWO MY LONG LOST HANDSOME TWINS

tgodoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By tgodoy

Here's mine human archer, kind of a "sturdier Legolas", hope you guys like, cheers from Brazil!

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Too bad you can't make an elven archer similar to this, male elves in this game are horrendous.​

Haribel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Haribel
    No Caption Provided

Here's mine~ didn't come out too badly I guess considering that most attempts at making a human female come out with one thing or the other being just that little bit wrong. Only thing I hate about little Haribel here is the fact one of the only decent hairstyles insists on clipping with her ears unless I make them grow outwards from her head like flapping limbs.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@jordost said:
    No Caption Provided

Why do the beards in this game look terrible. It looks like a fake adhesive-applied beard. Goddammit.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By rethla

This is amazing. I tried to make the charavter look like myself but i always suck at this so it aint worth showing.

Also is there really no option for black hair in this game or have i totally fucked up the colors of my TV or something? I mean the blackest option loocked black in the char creator but when i started the game and went out in the sun it was brown.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.