Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Dragon Age's AI sucks

• 92 results
    Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Vigilance

There I said it.  

I realize a lot of folks like that this game is hard, but when that hardness comes from AI so dumb that they chase enemies into flame, and then just stand there drinking health potions in the flame, that's not "hard", that's bad AI.  

And of course, I could go on, like characters with bows standing toe to toe with enemies, but really, the fight against the zombies in red cliff, where they gave you the option to set a fire with lamp oil, apparently so that your party would have some fire to run into, was really the point at which I realized the AI in this game is just bad. 

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Binman88

Yeah, when you don't take control of your party they tend to run amok. Best thing to do is just pause and set each character to do exactly what you want, and make sure you turn off any of their tactics that you don't want them doing when you leave them to their own devices. Unfortunately they're still going to do some dumb stuff which I guess you just have to live with.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By atejas

To be fair, it's a cRPG(or a cRPG-like, if we want to split hairs). Micromanaging your party every phase is a big part of this sort of game.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Jeust
    @Binman88:  

Yep. I only generally care, only when the battle is fierce. 

If not i just let them do whatever they do, as though they aren't very proficient they aren't also that bad.
    Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Vigilance
    @Binman88: It's just frustrating to me because Bioware clearly knows how to do this. 

The AI in Mass Effect was SO much smarter, and controlling them was easier. 

Hell, the AI in KOTOR was better.  

I'm not even really talking about standing right next to a melee attacker firing a bow, that's bad, but walking into a fire and then standing there to drink potions? Really? 
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Binman88
    @Vigilance said:
    " @Binman88: It's just frustrating to me because Bioware clearly knows how to do this.  The AI in Mass Effect was SO much smarter, and controlling them was easier.  Hell, the AI in KOTOR was better.   I'm not even really talking about standing right next to a melee attacker firing a bow, that's bad, but walking into a fire and then standing there to drink potions? Really?  "
    I agree, it's dumb as hell. Though I've never had that exact experience, trying to get my party to dodge the flame/oil trap in that tower in one of the earlier quests was frustrating as hell and showed just how stupid they can get when they have to do things for themselves.
    Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Vigilance
    @atejas said:
    " To be fair, it's a cRPG(or a cRPG-like, if we want to split hairs). Micromanaging your party every phase is a big part of this sort of game. "
    So were Mass Effect and KOTOR, and the AI in both games controlled 100% better.  

Really, being a CRPG is no reason for it to control badly. 
    Von

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Von

I wouldn't say the AI in Mass Effect is any better. My little group of idiots got themselves all killed, stuck on a box, admiring the floor or whatever and I had to blast the Geth to kingdom come myself, in most fights.

Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Vigilance
    @Von said:
    " I wouldn't say the AI in Mass Effect is any better. My little group of idiots got themselves all killed, stuck on a box, admiring the floor or whatever and I had to blast the Geth to kingdom come myself, in most fights. "
    They were occasionally dumb, but it was less of a hassle to micromanage them when necessary, and in my experience they needed it much less often.  

And I never saw them do anything like chase an enemy into a fire, and then stand there and burn. 
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r

Micromanaging is the combat. If you don't wanna do that, don't play the game. Should have gotten the real version though. As for the AI in Mass Effect being smarter, eh, I doubt it, there weren't (m?)any such area of effect damage triggers. Combat was two groups shooting each other, no tactics.

Avatar image for nifflemuvpa7quab
    NiffleMuvpa7Quab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NiffleMuvpa7Quab

I was actually gonna start a forum today commending the AI in DA:O.  I've played it for well over 50 hours and my experience with the AI has been phenomenal.
    guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By guiseppe

I never had any of those problems, and I didn't micromanage much until the later fights either. Sticking with the games prebuilt tactics worked, and still works well for me.

SuperBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SuperBuster

From my experience the AI in DAO isn't so bad but I never had the experience where they would just stand in fire, for the most part you could just change their tactics if they were doing something you didn't want them to do or simply micromanage them. I think the issue comes up because this is such a tactical game and you hand afford to have anyone doing anything stupid or you might die. Personally I think since you can directly control each party member, a little more control would be nice. Like I hate that in order to get someone to move where you want them you have to take direct control of them and move them until they are where you want them to be instead of, say, setting a waypoint for them. So many times my party was stuck on some invisible barrier or standing in the wrong places and I had to manually move them one at a time. I also wish that you could queue up actions in the console version.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pause422

Um, AI the way you are thinking and this type of game do not go hand in hand. Whatsoever.

Pragmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Pragmatic

I think the AI in this game is much better than Mass Effect.  My team was really stupid in that game.

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NoXious

Uhm, last I checked that's still up to YOUR input on their tactics. Unless that fire is not considered a AOE effect, then it's just a bug.
     You can set it to aggressive, but don't complain about the fact they go through fire then since that behaviour states it will not get out of the way from AOE effects.

What did you put their behaviour on I wonder?

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By End_Boss

I agree that sometimes the AI does some exceptionally stupid things. The only thing you can do to counteract this is to give them a specific set of tactics, customize your own set of tactics or completely deactivate tactics and take control of them at every step. Which is a painstakingly slow process.

Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Vigilance
    @NoXious said:
    "

Uhm, last I checked that's still up to YOUR input on their tactics. Unless that fire is not considered a AOE effect, then it's just a bug.
     You can set it to aggressive, but don't complain about the fact they go through fire then since that behaviour states it will not get out of the way from AOE effects.

What did you put their behaviour on I wonder?

"
    I realize they will chase through fire, but in this specific case it was especially glaring, because the monster Alistair had chased into the fire was dead, and so he stopped in the fire to drink a potion, then took more damage, which prompted him to drink another potion.  

And yeah, things go much better when I micromanage them more, I'd just rather focus on my main character. 
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By AndrewB

I think this is why under the difficulty settings it says to use Easy mode if you're the type of person who doesn't like to pause and just let the AI do its thing. The game is pretty much meant to be played giving direct orders to everyone. If that isn't the style of game you like, then you're going to have to deal with the AI.

I do agree, though. Especially in the case of NPC characters charging in to area-effect spells, the AI is downright dumb. Too bad the enemy doesn't seem to do it nearly as much.

Edit: I noticed the mention of changing AI behavior, which I didn't really think of, but that doesn't account for other characters that you don't have direct control over.

One particular example:

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Vigilance:
    My party has never drinkin' a potion without me forcing them to. You should go into your tactics menu and change how they operate. You can have it set so they retreat if there is an AoE(Area of Effect) spell on, such as fire on the ground.

I did have one specific battle with Darkspawn that irritated the hell out of me, though. It was in a mid-travel battle. I kept ordering my guys to attack the Emissary, and they would try to go around the map to where there was an invisible boundary, and they would just stay there twitching. I had to manually walk each one all the way to the enemy, or else they would turn around and head right back into the boundary again. That kind of thing only happened that one time, though.
    Shiftshaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Shiftshaper

Yeah, I pretty much pause and give orders anytime I have to. It seems Morrigan secretly hates me though, because anytime I let her off her leah for even a little bit too long it seems she just cant repress the urge to give me and sten a faceful of CoC because there was 1 enemy in front of us. Then the other 10 guys proceed to brutally slaughtering my party.
    BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BoFooQ

all game's AI have problems.  so far +45 hrs i haven't had too many problems with the AI.  sure my guys have stupidly burned themselves, but for the most part no problems.  as for at Redcliff, I didn't have a problem at all, might I suggest that you are too close to the oil, or use the defend area command. 

If darkspawn were smarter they would use more traps. but those traps would be no good if the computer AI just automaticily went around them all.
    Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By Kazona

I've had the exact opposite experience. I just made sure each character's behavior was setup in such a way that they avoid harmful AoE spells. Every once in a while I've had them do something dumb, like walking into a trap even though my rogue spotted it, but most of the times I have no problem with the AI.

Siris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Siris

I thought the same thing about this game.. the clunky AI in this game makes it a lot harder to play, in a bad way. BUT, after having played a lot more.. I eventually figured out how to use the combat tactics to my advantage. Now my whole team (Rogue main, Allistar, Morrigan, and Wynne) kicks ass and does it nearly as well as if I was controlling them. I've even got Wynne set up in such a way that she hardly ever wastes mana, which she will do from the start a lot.

So, if you work with the combat tactics, you can eventually tune your team to work decently well without your help. Then from there its just a matter of mastering all the little things you can do in battle.. such as knowing when to tell your team to hold position or when to charge forward.. or knowing how to place your mages correctly, so they can use their spells more effectively.

Also, this game sucks without a healer.. if you haven't already, go get Wynne on your team from the Circle of Magi quests starting at Redcliffe Village/Castle. I'm sure people get by without Wynne though, so more power to ya..

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By delta_ass

Someone should write up an FAQ for optimal combat tactics for all characters. I haven't really seen one of those yet.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Nictel
    @Vigilance said:

" @atejas said:

" To be fair, it's a cRPG(or a cRPG-like, if we want to split hairs). Micromanaging your party every phase is a big part of this sort of game. "

So were Mass Effect and KOTOR, and the AI in both games controlled 100% better.   Really, being a CRPG is no reason for it to control badly.  "
    @Vigilance: Though I'm not dismissing your complaints about the AI in Dragon Age, the game is far more complicated then Mass Effect or KOTOR. Besides the far greater amount of spells and abilities there weren't any effects like fires or blizzards in those games. In KOTOR the AI had to do three things: shoot, switch to melee, use force powers or not. The AI couldn't use shields or health potions on their own, they couldn't combine strategies so they attack stunned enemies. The same goes for Mass Effect, where the added thing was cover. But still how often did they either took the wrong side to cover or decided to attack the big tank with their pistol instead of the on-low-health soldiers?

The Dragon Age AI isn't perfect but it ain't bad either, you have great customizing options and for the most it does exactly what it should do. Something like attacking with Overpower when enemy is iced (immobilized) would not have worked in Kotor or Mass Effect. The only option that is indeed lacking is the "don't run into fire, blizzards or thunderstorms" option.  

I just hit = whenever a fire or something similar breaks out. Sure they take hits from archers but it's better than them getting burned while being hit with arrows.

@Siris

said:

" I thought the same thing about this game.. the clunky AI in this game makes it a lot harder to play, in a bad way. BUT, after having played a lot more.. I eventually figured out how to use the combat tactics to my advantage. Now my whole team (Rogue main, Allistar, Morrigan, and Wynne) kicks ass and does it nearly as well as if I was controlling them. I've even got Wynne set up in such a way that she hardly ever wastes mana, which she will do from the start a lot. So, if you work with the combat tactics, you can eventually tune your team to work decently well without your help. Then from there its just a matter of mastering all the little things you can do in battle.. such as knowing when to tell your team to hold position or when to charge forward.. or knowing how to place your mages correctly, so they can use their spells more effectively. Also, this game sucks without a healer.. if you haven't already, go get Wynne on your team from the Circle of Magi quests starting at Redcliffe Village/Castle. I'm sure people get by without Wynne though, so more power to ya.. "

Stop reminding me, I killed her before I heard she is a possible member and a great healer. Morrigaine wanted to cleanse the Circle so I said fine. Then at the end I picked the wrong option and saved the circle ending up with no extra mage at all. Still haven't finished the game keep burning through potions though.
    tactis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By tactis

yeah and is it just me or do the mages in my party kinda just sit around when they are out of mana and therefore become useless? why wont they just drink mana potions!!

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Teran
    @tactis: Mages are far from useless when out of mana, their staff auto attack is great in most situations. 

If this really is a problem for you though it's pretty easy setting up a tactic where the mage will drink a mana pot once he or she is low on mana. 
    HAMMERCLAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By HAMMERCLAW

This game and AI play exactly like what it is; and imperfect port of a computer RPG. Unlike most console AIs, the FRIENDLY  AI in this game is designed to be micro-managed--often on the fly--with RTS elements and resource managment.  You can't just hack-and-slash your way through this game, 'cause the ENEMY AI is one sneaky SOB. Save often, 'cause sudden death can lurk just around the corner.

Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Vigilance

I am enjoying the game quite a bit for the record. 

I think one of my problems might have been that I had Alistair in my party, when my main character was a sword and board fighter, so I had half my party filling a single niche.  

When I swapped out Alistair for Shale, I seemed to have a much easier time doing damage. 

I'm also micromanaging a *little* more. I still don't want to pause every round, but I have found Morrigan needs the most babysitting. If I swap to her every few rounds, my other three (shale, sword and board main, Leilani) are much easier to run on autopilot. 

Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By Darkstar614

I don't understand where you're coming from. You don't want to pause, and I assume you don't want the game to play itself? As people said in this thread already, micromanaging your party is part of the gameplay in this game. Its not a typical action RPG where you're just hammering on buttons.

Also, you can set the AI to not chase enemies and stick close to you. Its one of the drop down menus in the Tactics window.

Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Vigilance
    @Darkstar614: I'm coming from a position of this game not quite hitting the happy medium I want it to.  

I don't consider micromanaging my party a feature, I consider it a bug.  

I don't want to hammer on buttons. Last I checked, my only options in a game were not A) micromanage my party every round or B) sit and watch mindlessly while the game plays itself. 

I think there has to be a third or fourth option in there somewhere.  

I like the game an awful lot. I just don't think its perfect.  
    Rio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Rio
    @Vigilance:  I wouldnt consider a core component for this style of game a bug.  I can appreciate the desire to want to focus on a single character like in ME but that just isnt what this type of game is.  I have to say though, if you take the time you setup your tactics properly the game can very nearly do what your asking for.  I have tried both methods and the AI seems very capable if you take the time to set it up, which to be honest is exactly what you should want from a crpg.   

I have been playing it for quite a while now and the AI has done exactly what I have wanted it to do.  I am of the mind that micromanagement is the way to play this kind of game and that smart Tactics can simply streamline things if desired.
    maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By maxszy
    @Vigilance said:
    " @Binman88: It's just frustrating to me because Bioware clearly knows how to do this.  The AI in Mass Effect was SO much smarter, and controlling them was easier.  Hell, the AI in KOTOR was better.   I'm not even really talking about standing right next to a melee attacker firing a bow, that's bad, but walking into a fire and then standing there to drink potions? Really?  "

Definitely don't agree with this. The AI in Mass Effect was bad. They really didn't help that much at all. At least with DA:O by assigning tactics you can get them to do somewhat of what you want without bothering with them. Granted, there are times where you have to take control yourself but even so, I think its improved AI on ME. In my experience it has been.
    phonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By phonics

What? Mass Effect had some of the worst AI of this generation, not counting shovelware games.

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#36  Edited By Crono
    @Vigilance said:
    " There I said it.   I realize a lot of folks like that this game is hard, but when that hardness comes from AI so dumb that they chase enemies into flame, and then just stand there drinking health potions in the flame, that's not "hard", that's bad AI.   And of course, I could go on, like characters with bows standing toe to toe with enemies, but really, the fight against the zombies in red cliff, where they gave you the option to set a fire with lamp oil, apparently so that your party would have some fire to run into, was really the point at which I realized the AI in this game is just bad.  "
    This whole post made me lol.  I haven't played DA:O but the image that your story gives me is pretty amusing XD
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#37  Edited By delta_ass
    @Rio said:
    I have to say though, if you take the time you setup your tactics properly the game can very nearly do what your asking for.  I have tried both methods and the AI seems very capable if you take the time to set it up, which to be honest is exactly what you should want from a crpg.

Now, here's a ginger thought. And as a disclaimer, I haven't played Dragon Age: Origins yet. But uh... just throwing this out there... just wanna get your experienced outlook on this... here's my question. Why aren't the game's AI tactics set up properly by default? Why does the player have to take time to fidget around and set them up? Couldn't a lot of complaining and griping have been wholly avoided if BioWare had delivered their RPG with the AI set up already? Then the OP would be able to play the game in a satisfactory manner from the outset, and this thread never would've been created. Everybody's happy. Why didn't BioWare take this route I've just laid out? Why did they inflict needless torment on our dear chap Vigilance? Couldn't they have foreseen that not having any sort of AI set up by default would prove problematic?

This I pose to you.
    phonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By phonics
    @Delta_Ass said:

" @Rio said:

I have to say though, if you take the time you setup your tactics properly the game can very nearly do what your asking for.  I have tried both methods and the AI seems very capable if you take the time to set it up, which to be honest is exactly what you should want from a crpg.
     Now, here's a ginger thought. And as a disclaimer, I haven't played Dragon Age: Origins yet. But uh... just throwing this out there... just wanna get your experienced outlook on this... here's my question. Why aren't the game's AI tactics set up properly by default? Why does the player have to take time to fidget around and set them up? Couldn't a lot of complaining and griping have been wholly avoided if BioWare had delivered their RPG with the AI set up already? Then the OP would be able to play the game in a satisfactory manner from the outset, and this thread never would've been created. Everybody's happy. Why didn't BioWare take this route I've just laid out? Why did they inflict needless torment on our dear chap Vigilance? Couldn't they have foreseen that not having any sort of AI set up by default would prove problematic?  This I pose to you. "
    Because then it would be nothing but equipment swapping and conversation. Christ
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Phonics said:
    " @Delta_Ass said:

" @Rio said:

Now, here's a ginger thought. And as a disclaimer, I haven't played Dragon Age: Origins yet. But uh... just throwing this out there... just wanna get your experienced outlook on this... here's my question. Why aren't the game's AI tactics set up properly by default? Why does the player have to take time to fidget around and set them up? Couldn't a lot of complaining and griping have been wholly avoided if BioWare had delivered their RPG with the AI set up already? Then the OP would be able to play the game in a satisfactory manner from the outset, and this thread never would've been created. Everybody's happy. Why didn't BioWare take this route I've just laid out? Why did they inflict needless torment on our dear chap Vigilance? Couldn't they have foreseen that not having any sort of AI set up by default would prove problematic?  This I pose to you. "
    Because then it would be nothing but equipment swapping and conversation. Christ "
    Plus... it kinda is. Granted you'll be able to do things a lot better if you customise, but there are presets for the AI tactics. Infact, those are what I used the entire game, save for adding a 'drink your own damn potions' addition. I always let my melee fighters control themselves, and for the most part, Morrigan (who I was using as a CC mage.. I was a damage mage). I would occasionally switch to Morrigan when I wanted to do something specific, but most of the time I was just controlling my own character.
    phonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By phonics
    @Khann: Personally (playing on nightmare) I always give orders on all my melee on who to attack and when to use stuns, while directly controlling Morrigan who I heal and crowd control with.
    imhuntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By imhuntad

Yeah they're garbage. Still a candidate for GotY in my book though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Phonics said:
    " @Khann: Personally (playing on nightmare) I always give orders on all my melee on who to attack and when to use stuns, while directly controlling Morrigan who I heal and crowd control with. "

Yeah fair enough. I've never played on Nightmare. I tried on Hard and I just didn't enjoy the game. I'm not a person that likes to redo a battle 20x for satisfaction.. I'm fine having a bit of a challenge and passing it within 5 tries. Plus, I'm just not good enough to play on anything above Normal. 

Normal was enough to give me (so far) 60 hours of enjoyment so.. yeah.
    phonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By phonics
    @Khann: Nothing wrong with that.
    boj4ngles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44  Edited By boj4ngles

It is somewhat hilarious that people can say this game's Artificial Intelligence sucks.  Dragon Age has an incredibly robust, and more than adequate system for customizing your characters' behaviors in diverse situations.  Therefore if the game's Artificial Intelligence sucks, it is because the player's True Intelligence sucks.
    Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Teran
    @HAMMERCLAW said:
    " This game and AI play exactly like what it is; and imperfect port of a computer RPG. Unlike most console AIs, the FRIENDLY  AI in this game is designed to be micro-managed--often on the fly--with RTS elements and resource managment.  You can't just hack-and-slash your way through this game, 'cause the ENEMY AI is one sneaky SOB. Save often, 'cause sudden death can lurk just around the corner. "
    Actually turn based strategy would be a better way of describing the game elements. 

Your comment about console AI is a little funny to me.  Did you play resident evil 5?  In console games you're more likely to get a partner or partners that are so useless you wish you could play on without them.
    Rio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Rio
    @Delta_Ass: That defeats the point of this game, its very much about the combat tactics.  The AI tactics menu in this game is much like the Gambit system in FFXII, it is deliberate and there for a reason.  I cant stress it enough that this game was designed a specific way and plays best when you embrace that.  People that want an easy ride with just one character to manage are playing the wrong game.  That AI tactics is not a lazy "hey do it for us" option, it is a fantastic feature in the game that helps a player learn proper responses to certain combat situations.  

A streamlined AI Tactics is an awesome experience that you can be proud of when you set it up yourself.  The game doesnt need to be dumbed down it just needs people to try different approaches to see how they enjoy playing the game, the tactics menu can help with that. 

And as others have stated, there are pr-made AI layouts built into the game.  And you can edit those layouts to fine tune them. Of course none of the premade stuff is near as good as what you can take your time to setup.
    cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By cinemandrew
    @Vigilance said:
    " There I said it.   I realize a lot of folks like that this game is hard, but when that hardness comes from AI so dumb that they chase enemies into flame, and then just stand there drinking health potions in the flame, that's not "hard", that's bad AI.   And of course, I could go on, like characters with bows standing toe to toe with enemies, but really, the fight against the zombies in red cliff, where they gave you the option to set a fire with lamp oil, apparently so that your party would have some fire to run into, was really the point at which I realized the AI in this game is just bad.  "
    Agreed. I love the game, but I thought the combat system was going to be a more advanced version of the gambit system in FFXII. Instead we have a system which requires you to invest points to get more slots, and in the end doesn't really add much to it at all. On top of that the AI does require babysitting. I found it much more manageable to play as a ranged character, but I like playing as my tank. I just wish my ranged folks especially would be able to manage themselves a bit better. It's also a shame that I never seem to have enough tactics slots available because I can never fully utilize all their skills unless I'm constantly hopping around to each character.

I still love the game, I'm just bummed that one of the features that I was most excited about, seems to be less than ideal. Despite all it's faults, in FFXII, I almost never had to switch characters during combat. I enjoy the whole gambit/tactics combat idea. It makes it feel more like you're playing with a group of other players, but without the proper depth, it seems useful for little more than keeping buffs up, and potion chugging/healing.
    HAMMERCLAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By HAMMERCLAW
    @Crono:
    My Ai never runs into fire or drinks potions on it's own, because I have it set not to do such things.  You can drive the car, or allow it to roll off a cliff--just don't blame the car.
    KimChi4U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By KimChi4U

The only thing about the AI that I hate is when a character suddenly decides to stand there and do nothing. I can handle the fact that they will rush headlong into a burning fire or that Wynne will cast rejuvenate instead of heal on a nearly dead character. What really irritates me is when Iset my main character (Rogue) to attack something and I switch a mage in my party, the rogue will suddenly decide to stop attacking if one of the following happens: She gets knocked down, the enemy gets knocked down, the enemy gets stunned, the enemy twitches his left eyebrow whilst performing an 8 step jig, or the enemy pops in and out of stealth. It's like she has some serious form of A.D.D.   "I will cut you from throat to....ooh, pretty flowers."
    HAMMERCLAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By HAMMERCLAW
    @Teran:
    Uh, dude, in case you haven't noticed, combat in this game is REAL TIME, not turn-based, and on the console, at least, no online play, so no random idiots dropping in to wreak mayhem. Other than that, you're comments make perfect sense.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.