Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Sten or War hound?

J_Weezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By J_Weezy

Im having trouble deciding which to put in my party my current party is me (rogue duelist) morigan and alistair whos been specced out for tanking, any ideas which is better to put in my party and if so reasons plz, thx alot.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Nictel

I personally prefer the war hound over Sten because the war hound has some group stun ability and Sten's two handed weapon is in my opinion too slow in group combat. On the other hand in battles with a solo boss, I prefer Sten. 

Though if you have the DC, the golem beats them both.

SuperBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SuperBuster

I would use the dog in the beginning but as you may have noticed he doesn't have as many talents as Sten so I think Sten would probably be more useful at the end.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Driadon

I find Sten great for taking care of ranged enemies, like archers, while the rest of the group is focused on the melee which I've found vital in some of my strategies.

sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By sumbog

I prefer Sten just for pure tanking ability and his ability to have his armour and weapons upgraded, but my party is Morigan, Alister, and Shale.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By damswedon

sten seems to need way too much micro manageing for my liking so ive ot used him much.

Bitemarks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bitemarks

Around the time you get Sten, You'll be fighting enemies if fairly large groups. With your party still lacking any good crowd control, I say use the pooch. Once Morrigan gets some good sleep and stun spells, go for Sten. He's a bit more powerful. I didn't really use Sten as my tank since I built up Allistair's shield skill by then.

J_Weezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By J_Weezy

thx for all the replys everyone i think im gonna try the dog out for bit   :)
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Turambar

Sten easily later on in the game.  A champion's war cry is always a welcomed addition.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah Sten was great.  I didn't really have much of a tank to be honest. I just had two melee damage dealers (Sten and the dwarf) and Morrigan for crowd control. I was a damage-dealing mage. Sten did have like +70 physical resistance or something though, which helped, but I had to make a special effort to take mages/archers out myself.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BoFooQ

I like my pup more than sten but have been tring to use sten more lately he slower for sure and it seem easier to just let the dog run around and he'll take care of himself. 

have found no good use for shale.
    SolemnOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SolemnOaf

shale could pound them both into paste.  I don't accept the dog into my party anymore, and never will again.  the barking at camp is just too much.  My current team is Morrigan, Wynne, Sten, and my own dual-weilding backstabbing rogue dwarf ranger.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.