Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2016

Concept »

The twenty-second annual Electronic Entertainment Expo took place June 14-16, 2016 at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California.

The Official SONY Thread

• 129 results
    Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#1 Marino  Staff
    No Caption Provided

Congrats to @nihlus4 on winning this year's Sony banner contest! cleetose's screaming RIGS banner was a close 2nd place. Then, aoldisk "raining Kaz" and feckhead's animated Crash tiki mask tied for 3rd place.

The Official E3 2016 Sony Press Conference Discussion

No Caption Provided

It's officially E3 time, duders! If you haven't experienced the insanity of E3 before, the show starts off with press conferences from each of the three console makers as well as a few of the largest publishers in the industry. These presentations are prime real estate for game announcements, debut trailers, live gameplay demonstrations, and meme origins.

In an attempt to keep the E3 shenanigans organized, the mods institute these official discussion threads for each conference so that everybody has a go-to place to discuss them before, during, and after the show.

Keep Discussions On Topic

This thread is exclusively for the general discussion of the Sony press conference. Only discussion of the PlayStation press conference is allowed. Discussion involving the other company's conferences should be taken to their respective threads (once they're posted). And don't even think about going off-topic or derailing the thread with your Kevin Butlerfan fiction.

Specific Announcements

What bombs will Boyes drop this year?
    What bombs will Boyes drop this year?

E3 is THE place for announcing never before seen games. It's exciting, fast-paced stuff and we're all enthusiastic to start talking about all the new toys. But, please keep in-depth discussions about specific games in their respective forums. For more information about how to help us keep things organized, go check out the E3 2016 and You! thread.

To help you get where you need to go to talk about anything announced or shown during this press conference, we have created a list of them right here:

Despite the insanity of E3, keep in mind that the general site rules still apply. So, don't be a jerk. If you need a refresher on how to conduct yourself like an upstanding citizen of the Giant Bomb community, check out the FAQ.

Where Can I Watch?

Monday, June 13 @ 6:00 PM PDT - Shrine Auditorium (Local Time)

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

God bless this banner

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mike

Who could be against animated gif banners after seeing this?

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

That banner manages to be hypnotising and also make me feel really uncomfortable: mission accomplished @nihlus4

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Someone needs to invent paper that you can print animated gifs onto... I would frame that gif.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By N7

WHO IS READY FOR KNACK 2 BAYBAY

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

this conference will end with the announcement that knack is available for free on ps+ in July

ejiehi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Knack VR

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

This banner gives me some great memories.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope that Noby Noby Boy director's new game shows up.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

TheImpar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This winning banner is THE GOOD STUFF. God bless this banner, indeed.

Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
    alwaysbeclothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I approve of Rocking The Davis banners. I will Always Be Commending them.

Hope Sony can step their game up and give a reason for why the 4.5 systems exist. But in reality all I want to see is more Persona 5 stuff

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Such an incredible banner

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

I'm so fucking tired right now but it'll all be worth it when they don't show off some RE2 remake footage.

kinapuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The hype is real #weed3

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow that didn't take long.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

okay I did an actual gasp over the new Resident Evil 7 looking like Silent Hill the Room

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon: That game was the last thing I expected to end up being Resident Evil VII. Entirely new direction for the series. Furthermore, as it is titled "VII", it doesn't appear to be attempting to reboot.

It's going to be extremely refreshing getting a new viewpoint in the RE universe.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ShaggE

RE7 blew my shit away. I was sitting there thinking "Wait... did Silent Hills somehow get back on track!?"

Wasn't expecting Capcom to pick that ball up and run with it. Holy shit, that's exciting. And a demo tonight? Uhhh, yes please.

Edit: Oh MAN, Kojima! I was so goddamn convinced once I saw Norman Reedus' face. Not that I'm not ultra-hyped, mind...

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sodapop7

Lot of sizzle but when I think back I don't know how many games I'm actually interested in playing I guess we will see when these start rolling out whenever that ends up being.

I think I just want Persona 5 and nuts to these other games. Also give zombies a break please.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22  Edited By Nodima

• The orchestra and steady stream of trailers with no superfluous commentary is a supremely ballsy idea

• What are they doing to God of War? I'm very intrigued. Looked very Naughty Dog mixed with combat like Bloodborne/The Witcher

• Horizon: Zero Dawn likely wins this whole show without issue

• Detroit looked cool, but it's David Cage. It's probably terrible.

• Batman VR Experience had a good monologue for a trailer, and this stuff looks really good compared to a lot of VR clips I've seen, but it's hard to tell what is happening and what isn't.

• Like, what's up with Resident Evil VII? It's either amazing or scary that that game got a first person walkthrough of a house as an introduction to Playstation's VR segment. Either that or it isn't really Resident Evil SEVEN.

• Infinite Warfare may be the first Call of Duty I play since Modern Warfare. That looked fucking cool. PLUS it comes with that game if you pre-order, and I remember enjoying that campaign a lot as well. I'm intrigued.

• Cool how they used Uncharted 4 to sneak announce remasters of the Crash Bandicoot Trilogy, weird how that's a big announcement (but also not)...

• LEGO Star Wars. K.

• Kojima game begs a lot of questions be asked. We'll see.

• Spider-Man looked dope but, again, we'll see. It's been awhile since anyone got close to nailing him in video games. Shame they didn't just take the suit from Marvel; maybe that's part of their new contract.

• Not sure about Days Gone. Looks really cool in several ways, but what are the mechanics? What's the context?

• Maybe I'm in the minority but I really enjoyed that thing as a consumer. The orchestra, the sequence of trailers with little commentary, few pitches, primarily just Sony's best stage speaker speaking every once in a while. I dug that a lot. Again, maybe I'm wrong.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Super good production values and what not also not very many idiots on the stage so good shit there. God of War and Horizon look great, Zombie game was mildly interesting until they showed gameplay and that was the end of everyone's interest in that product. RE7 who the hell knows. RE4 was totally random in its absurdly goodness so a miracle could happen, maybe.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely agreeing with the guys a lot about the lack of info and context on a lot of this stuff. Glad I'm not the only one who was a bit lost.

troy333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't love the press conference but can"t wait for God of War and Horizon. Also, hopefully they talk more about Playstation Neo soon.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

I'd love a good Spider-Man game.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, fantastic press conference imo. Was blown away by almost every game they've shown, even that Spiderman game and Call of (fucking) Duty looked awesome! And just games and no bullshit. Some lengthy gameplay demo's as well in there. It was shorter then normal, but way more compact.

God of War: Never played those games, but I liked what they've shown. Seemed a little linear, but maybe it's the start of the game or something.
    Horizon Zero Dawn: Was already starting to forget about this game, but it looks incredible. Animations of humans and robots are looking great!
    Days Gone: Demo was impressive and there's probably a lot more to it then they've shown. Seems like a real survival game.
    Detroit: Wow, that looks almost real. But not sure if I will like that type of game.
    Resident Evil 7: O_O After 'losing' PT, this was the biggest surprise to me.
    Kojima's game: Welcome back, bro. Can't wait to play your new game in about 4 years. (Also: those dead whales in the trailer means MGS(5) is dead to him now?)
    The Last Guardian: Finally. Can't wait to play it!

PS VR: Don't know. Just don't know. Will have to try it before deciding to buy it.
    Indie games: Where were they this year? (And Adam Boyes)

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By nightriff

Sony had some really good/interesting stuff that grabbed me, then halfway through they lost me and then it ended abrubtly. Conference seemed a little thrown together honestly.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neat.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony had some really good/interesting stuff that grabbed me, then halfway through they lost me and then it ended abrubtly. Conference seemed a little thrown together honestly.

Exactly same experience for me. That PS VR stuff did not at all sell me on the idea of VR. It was so front loaded and ended with not a great showstopper.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Days Gone is a mess, the trailer was after God of War, and then it ends. It lacks any real personality, I was actually reminded how well Left 4 Dead would do the same identical gameplay mechanics and graphics but have personality. It looks identical to Dead Rising 3 reveal Xbox one press.

I'm an insanly big Spider-Man fan but even I was "well is it Civil War Spider-man's voice? no?" even with the expectation of Insomniac, I still am thinking about why can't they make him Miles Morales or Spider-Gwen? I doubt Activison is going to let go of Spider-Man license so this could be as bad a Platnium making Legend of Korra and TMNT.

VR is dead.A friend of mine turned to me and she said is "Call of Duty VR?"

I have no shame in admiting I geeked out over Kojima's Dead Stranding. By the time MGS Peace Walker came out and seeing the Koji Pro catalog had no Zone of the Enders and Boktai that was the moment where I was getting tired of the Metal Gear just holding Kojima back even if I do believe those games are amazing. But that did happen to me and I want him to go crazy without any limits...... Dead Stranding 2 is gonna be mind blowing like ZoE2 and Boktai 2.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

@yummylee: YO THAT RESIDENT EVIL VII WOT. If they're going full PT with this thing I could see that RE2 remake being more of an old-school thing and less of an action game than I was expecting.

Didn't get to watch most of the rest of the conference, but that Kojima thing seems nuts and also not a real thing for another 2-3 years.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And more so than ever I'm convinced VR is just the next motion controls. Occassionally there will be a good experience that may be worth your time, but most will be garbage OR too short OR broken messes OR this OR that OR the other thing.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

Song got the games I want. They need to work on VR to the public a lot more. Also where the indie games?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#35  Edited By Yummylee

@arbitrarywater said:

@yummylee: YO THAT RESIDENT EVIL VII WOT. If they're going full PT with this thing I could see that RE2 remake being more of an old-school thing and less of an action game than I was expecting.

Didn't get to watch most of the rest of the conference, but that Kojima thing seems nuts and also not a real thing for another 2-3 years.

I HAVE SO MANY THOUGHTS BUT I'M ALSO SO FUCKING TIRED SO I HAVE TO RETIRE THEM FOR NOW BUT SERIOUSLY RESIDENT EVIL: SILENT HILL OUTLAST PT EDITION?? ALSO SET POST-RE6 BECAUSE LOL OK WHY NOT THEY JUST HAFTA KEEP IT ALL WITHIN THE SAME 'CANON'.

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Sony was the conference I walked away from just kind of shrugging my shoulders. Horizon Zero Dawn looks incredible, and I'm excited to see what Detroit is when it comes out too. I have a PS VR on order, but nothing they showed in the VR section made me more or less excited - a even for the things they did show, I know that it's going to be a different thing to play vs see it when it comes to VR.

I think The Last Guardian looks bad. I have no real feel for what Days Gone is supposed to be. It's cool they're making a new, numbered Resident Evil, but I feel the same way about it as I do for Days Gone. And I was never a huge God of War fan but thought the games were okay; I really dislike the Souls games, so if boss encounters are like that one they showed, I'm even less interested.

I realize I'm in the minority, but very little from this got me interested, much less excited.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

I thought they put on an excellent and very concise show this year. RE7 was the biggest surprise to me. Needless to say, I am fucking pumped for that. It might even sell me on the PSVR if it's good enough. One, I'm happy to see that the series truly does appear to finally be returning to its horror roots. It looked legitimately creepy. Two, I love that it's actually called VII, implying that it is a continuation and not a reboot. Keep that crazy train a'rollin'.

God of War was also a pretty big surprise. But yeah, good on them for taking that series in a totally different direction while keeping it thematically and cinematically familiar.

Horizon looked cool as shit. No way I'm not getting that. The visuals are gorgeous, top to bottom, and even just watching the gameplay, it looked smooth and incredibly fun. Days Gone looked neat, too. I'm always up for a good zombie game, especially when it involves being chased by massive hordes of them. This game appears to do that very well. I'm still not sure what the game is supposed to be even after that demo, but I am interested.

Detroit looked cool, Kojima's thing was cool (and I'm happy he still got to work with Normal Reedus), and even Call of Duty looked awesome, which is not something I ever expected to be able to say about that series again.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

Days Gone has super impressive tech behind it... but man I'm so done with zombies.

PSVR could have been better too. Part of me is wishing that Rez was announced here with guy's insane Rez Suit.

Other than that, fantastic presser. They knew that God of War needed fresh air and they completely delivered on it, and Horizon continues to look amazing.

I bet Insomniac doing a Spiderman game is going to be pretty fantastic.

Kojima continues to be crazy, and I'm glad we're finally going to get something not-Metal Gear from him. Please by all means don't hold back Kojima.

I enjoy a good David Cage shit show and hopefully Detroit can deliver on that.

As a big fan of Ico and SotC, I bet I'll enjoy Last Guardian greatly.

CcFfBb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm always excited to hear about a new God of War reveal. The battle scene was epic, and it will be interesting to hear more about the game. The God of War series has been one of my favorites to play, and I was hoping to hear something about a new title this year at E3. I was also surprised about the number of zombie games I've heard about today between the Microsoft and Sony conferences, but the gameplay in each still look different. One has all kinds of carnage, one has a survival element, and the other looks like 1 vs. a Billion zombies.

troy333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IGN's Playstation post show called this the best press conference of all time......... This is why I pay 50 a year to Giant Bomb. I'm not looking for a fan's perspective, I want the truth. I love my Playstation 4 but I really expected more.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Death Stranding looks all kinds of insane, and I'm really excited to see what we get next.

RE7 has my interest. Right now, I'm at least fairly certain that it's not going to be mediocre. It's going to be really great, or just garbage. I can appreciate Capcom just going 'fuck it' with regards to the series and just doing something completely new. Killer logo for the game. Between this, Prey, and Death Stranding(?), I'm glad we're getting some AAA horror games.

Days Gone is a game I have to keep scrolling up this thread to remember the name of. Impressive tech demo, but this game has already been done so many times and it was done better. The closer should have been Kojima.

I was really convinced that Atlus was going to be on stage. Guess we'll get some news out of them soon-ish, because they are there at E3.

With some of the exclusives they still manage to snag, Sony makes a better case for the PS4 for me, as mainly a PC user, than the Xbox does, though it's obvious that at this point Microsoft just does not really care about bringing the PC crowd onto the Xbox, and instead just bringing them onto their unified gaming platform thing. The existence of the NEO has me really cagey about dropping the money for a PS4 right now, and even though I understand that they probably are just not ready to talk about it, it's still a massive elephant in the room for Sony.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Whitestripes09

So uhhh anyone else really interested in CoD all of a sudden? That looked genuinely fun.

God of War looked pretty cool and I like the new direction it's going in.

Can't wait for Last Guardian and FFXV.

After playing that Crash segment in Uncharted, I wanted to dig up my ps1 memory cards and Crash games, now if I can do that with better graphics and play all 3 even better, so can't wait for that and hopefully they treat the material well to keep that wonderful color contrast.

Spiderman looked okay. I was hoping for more open world gameplay just to see if it's going to be at all like Spiderman 2. Hopefully it's less cinematic fights and more Spiderman simulator.

RE7 and Death Stranding look REALLY interesting. I think out of all the games, those grabbed my attention the most.

Zombie games are meh.

Milijango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#44  Edited By Milijango

They went for a "no bullshit, just games" approach and then fucked up by not actually showing us Kojima's game. RE7 was also slim pickings. They're saying the right things for God of War but I'm not sold on what I've seen. Days Gone is sterile. VR still isn't exciting to people who have never tried it.

On the plus side, Horizon is on the up and up - they continued to present it as a video game, and it looks to be a hell of a video game. Open world games have fewer hits than misses for me but there's a lot of potential there nonetheless. Glad that we'll get our hands on The Last Guardian and FF15 pretty soon, though I'm not too excited for either.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@troy333 said:

IGN's Playstation post show called this the best press conference of all time......... This is why I pay 50 a year to Giant Bomb. I'm not looking for a fan's perspective, I want the truth. I love my Playstation 4 but I really expected more.

Pro-tip, no opinion is "the truth". I'm not sure why the guys were so down on it, there were some games that looked super interesting. And I liked that it was basically just a bunch of trailers/gameplay demos. I've watched years of press conferences with suits and devs standing on stage making awkward small talk and quite frankly it almost never does anything for me.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was a fantastic showing and super well paced. Blown away by how down the guys were on it.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I'm liking the unsung new IP initiative this E3. Lot of good, original stuff shown.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48  Edited By myke_tuna

I thought the showing was good. If anything, they should be tied with Microsoft, but frankly, I think Sony did their conference much better. No bullshit, no chatter, just game announcements.

The games themselves were apparently hit or miss with the crew, but I found a couple of things that seemed interesting. I felt a newness to this showing that I wasn't feeling with any of the other conferences. Whether the new games shown were interesting to you or not, I think is up to you, but Sony did come out and show some new stuff for sure and I enjoyed that.

Sbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thoroughly enjoyed the presentation here. No banter, no cringy jokes, just game after game, although admittedly some of those suffered a bit from a lack of context. The pit orchestra, the stage essentially just being one big screen, the choice of venue, it all made Sony's event feel very different from the others. As far as the games themselves go, God of War, REVII, and Horizon looked really good, Detroit seemed interesting, as did Dead Stranding and a few others, but there wasn't much in the way of gameplay for much of what was presented so the best I can say is we'll see. I was disappointed to see the lack of indie representation since I thought Sony did a great job of grabbing that stuff early on, and the lack of it here definitely favored MS in that department, as did the lack of big announcements as far as hardware. Putting a date on Last Guardian was crucial, they likely would have been laid into had they not done that.

Assumedkilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far all of the press conferences have been "pretty good, but nothing all that great". Sony should've ended on GOW, since that zombie game looked generic. Dead Rising has crazy weapons and a sense of humor, State of Decay 2 is going to be survival and online, they'll probably be another Last of Us eventually, so I'm not sure why I should care about this game. It could be good, but that footage with his never ending bullets seemed silly in a bad way.

GOW reminded me of Witcher in a weird way, which is great. I wanted them to reboot it with another hero and culture (Mayan, Egyptian, etc) but this looks really good for them to be keeping Kratos. Horizon doesn't look all that fun or impressive - it and Recore seem like b-level games more or less on the level of Enslaved with a similar visual design (more so Horizon there).

Spiderman looked great and I'd love to know more about the Kojima game right now. Their VR headset costs too much. At this point me sticking with Samsun Gear seems best. Buying a PS4 and its VR would be around $800 and they haven't supported a case for that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.