Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2016

Concept »

The twenty-second annual Electronic Entertainment Expo took place June 14-16, 2016 at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California.

The Official SONY Thread

• 129 results
    laxbro19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By laxbro19

Absolutely incredible. I have to get a PS4 now. I've been on the fence with my xbox for quite a while and now my mind is more than made up. That conference was stacked from top to bottom with games. I hardly know where to start.

God of War was a pitch perfect response to the criticism of what that series was plagued by. The light RPG elements and light exploration are welcome additions. The developers are actually trying to make Kratos, of all characters, human. And based on that cinematic, there was a great effort to add genuine emotion. The combat was made much more tactical as well, with a Dark Souls/Bloodborne vibe to it. I dug everything that they threw down. That game was a must play for me.

Horizon was great as well. It's very reminiscent of the Witcher 3 in many respects. The unique attacks of the machines and the dialog wheel are some things that come to mind in that regard. But the game also has a unique way of using monologues in and out of game to add context. The action looked tight and the world was very well realized from what I saw. A very promising game.

Man, Call of Duty really made a good impression. The internet at large wanted to be real shitty and write it off without hearing it out first. The implication of that demo means that they basically made Gundam, which I'm sure Austin Walker is stoked about. You're leading a federation of earth forces to defeat the rebellious colonies, tell me that isn't just the wikipedia entry for Gundam. But funnin' around aside, the fleet management aspect is exciting. The series is finally taking the rails off the vehicles and making it a useful tool for combat. The in space and on foot options use the better parts of Advanced Warfare and Black Ops 3 in ways that add variety to the experience. Usually a Call of Duty game does it's own thing and doesn't iterate on the previous studios work, this is polar opposite. It really feels like we/re seeing the merging of the different mechanics into one package. This game has me hyped and is selling me on the setting way more than Battlefield 1. I hope it isn't telling that we haven;t even seen Battlefield 1's campaign, at all.

PSVR is somehting that I have alot of hope for. Sony is getting great developers with great IP to make games for the platform. It seems that the depth and breadth is coming along well. I don't know if I'll be a day one kind of guy, but Sony has my attention regardless.

The David Lynch game, Detroit, looks like the fullest realization of the promise of his previous games. People rightfully critisized Lynch for having the illusion of choice in his games, this looks like an honest attempt to correct this. The choices that were made resulted in tangible differences of how that situation played out. I want to play this game.

Guys, Kojima is back and he is not fucking around. Norman Reedus is a mother/father to that ghost baby. All that seas life is dead. Where did all the god damn water go? Why are they on what was the ocean floor? Where are home boy's clothes and why does he have a C-section scar? Who are those Psycho Mantis looking fools? Also why was an aux cord plugged into that baby? Somebody give Kojima more money so we an get to the bottom of this mystery. Let it be known, Kojima is back and he is most certainly back on that Bull Shit. As he should be.

I'm generally allergic to Zombie anything at this point but the use of fluid zombies is just right in Days Gone. The subtle cues that it takes from Last of Us is just right and the way that it differentiates the way zombies move as a wave of flesh is great. I'm interested if it has more to offer.

Overall, I was more than sold on Playstation in 2016. They seemed primed to have new and interesting games in this calender year and beyond. I really couldn't say the same for Xbox from what I saw from them this morning. I was expecting more indie games to be shown but the stage was so packed that I guess it would/ve been difficult to give those games the time they need. All in all there will be big and small games in many different styles to play in the next 12 to 18 months. I'm now 100% getting a PS4. I hear the hype about the next model but there are games on that system that I want to play right and games coming that I don't want to miss. It's going to be great.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

@quarters said:

I thought it was a fantastic showing and super well paced. Blown away by how down the guys were on it.

Not that I'm all super positive happy fan guy, but this is the reason why I don't watch much Giant Bomb coverage anymore.

The only thing I really disliked was the fact that a ton of 3rd party games games got absolutely no Sony press conference coverage, not even from a compilation video. They announced there would be 50 PS VR games before the end of the year, and then showed about four. Also, there was no talk of new features coming to PS4, which I always like to hear about.

As for what they actually showed, most of it did look pretty good.

sophiafrances

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

norman reedus mpreg

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I thought Sony's was great. I'm glad I watched the official feed and not Giant Bomb's: I might watch their commentary later, but the sound of that orchestra really heightened that conference for me.

I liked the look of Horizon: Zero Dawn, The Last Guardian, Final Fantasy XV (yes, as someone who likes just running around in game-worlds and looking at the environmental art, that VR looked cool to me too), and even Call of Duty (which grabbed me way more than Titanfall 2 or Battlefield 1). God of War looked interested, but I feel super uncomfortable about watching a man shout at a kid to shoot a pleading giant, and then force them to kill a dear - even if it Kratos and his son (who's the mother?). That Kojima thing looked like a parody... And Detroit looked like the illusion was breaking mid-trailer (so the android has to die, when he says "you lied to me" is it edited like that to imply total player control is an illusion? - is David Cage really that obtuse?) Resident Evil is a horror game, so whatever. Zombies game looked fine but I'm already forgetting it.

Doubt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I didn't like the conference and i love Sony. I mean isn't a part of these conferences about letting developers tell us something about the game and showing their love and passion for the game. I may be alone but i like knowing more about the game instead just showing a trailer. This conference was like watching the trailers before a movie but not getting the "movie" They could've just released the footage of the games and not even had a conference.

God of War was probably the best thing there because we got good gameplay and it was something new.

As much as i love Resident evil what they showed wasn't enough to convey what that game is now.

Yes that kojima video was crazy but what is that? no context at all.

Days gone looks boring and uninspired and showing the gameplay like way after was odd.

Most of he VR stuff was also not explained, had no context and/or just looked bad.

Horizon looks dope as ever but we know this and people loove it. Sony did their job and sold that game already.

It all just seemed rushed. I guess i like my shows with a little more pizazz like ubisoft (but not exactly like ubisoft) Maybe that is the reason the GB guys didn't like it either cause it wasn't a "show"

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the presentation, not blown away by much of what they actually presented though.

Horizon still looks rad, but I'm already way in on that game. God of War looks like a cool game that is probably another E3 away. The mere idea of Kojima being allowed to run wild and a weird trailer isn't enough to sell me on a game and that name is really stupid. Days Gone is a game idea someone found buried in a time capsule.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Horizon still looks amazing but God of war looks like it plays poorly and those attack animations looked pretty bad to me, especially with how fluid they used to be. Maybe it will be like a dark souls type of game now? But otherwise it looks kinda boring. I'm not conviced PS vr will run well and it looks like they have no actual games for it.

Fonzinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Like the potential, but I can see why they are disappointed in the VR showing. Also ending on a zombie game that's hook is not instantly apparent (flowing zombie floods I guess?) is weak.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#59  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Man that Sony Bend game was so much "we wanted them to make a Last of Us sequel but they wouldn't so now you guys are going to". And the amount of zombies didn't sell anything. That is such a boring, clone game.

I was really into God of War. Making it more Souls-ish in feel is great (just a guess). Plus it seem like a Tomb Raider type structure. I am a bit weary of every game being about being a dad though.

All the tacked on VR experience stuff wasn't a sell. The FF 15 one was especially terrible looking.

Call of Duty in space looked as expected. Not interested in that, especially when you saw how much cooler Titanfall 2 looked.

Kojima.... I don't know. I've loved his games before but without his name on it that would have done nothing for me.

David Cage's games look as goofy as ever.

Horizon looks great. Spiderman could be awesome.

Trying to make something out of Crash was ridiculous.

I also think there is something to a conference presentation. I like the developers coming up and saying something about their game when it is done well. Microsoft did very well with that. Sony did just feel like a series of trailers, plus no indie stuff. No talk about the Neo stuff when that is coming out before Microsoft's upgrade. Pretty weird to me. Sony used to go overboard the other direction to the point where they would put pie charts and bar graphs up. They went too far though.

wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 38

#60  Edited By wumbo3000

In my opinion, I'm utterly baffled by the amount of praise this press conference is getting. It was really good, and a lot of the games looked great. God of War and Horizon looked fantastic, and Death Stranding was just stupid (in a good way). But calling it one of the best press conferences of all time seems like...an overreaction? If anything, last year's presser was more exciting and bombastic with announcements like FF7 remake and Shenmue. But this year's just seemed to fizzle out near the end, and I was left with the feeling of, "That's it?"

Considering the amount of overwhelming praise this conference is getting though, I'm certain I'm in the minority. But things like RE 7, Crash (lol remaster), and Days Gone just didn't do it for me.

I just lament the world we live in, in which something always has to be best thing ever or the worst thing ever. Why can't something be analyzed by its parts on a degree, and not on extremes?

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@wumbo3000: I'm right there with you. It was definitely better than a lot of Sony pressers used to be (as I said, it used to be too much talking and filler) but I didn't like it as much as last years either. Maybe it is because some of the big stuff here didn't really leak? At least not in detail? But the surprises mostly were not even anything to really go on (Resident Evil PT and insane Kojima nonsense).

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

As of now I'm pretty interested in Days Gone, but only because I have some very pressing questions. For me it was the only game of the presser that needed a little more explanation devoted to it. Everything else spoke for itself which is what I'm ending up loving about this press conference most. No attempts to force the hype, just let it build on its own. Anyway:

Was the stuff he was interacting with scripted or part of the game? Did those zombies push through things and fall through things because that was what they were designed to do or because those things were designed to have that happen to them?

What I mean is, in general, what was happening there? Was the weight of the zombie swarm factoring into their interactions with the environment? If so, awesome. If their breakthroughs and falls were scripted, does that mean the player closing doors and slamming barriers down were scripted too? Could he have taken a different path through that environment, or are they telling a linear story there?

Partially because they were letting the games speak for themselves all night, I'm leaning toward the former concept; those zombies are essentially bodies of water, and when enough of the swarm amasses on certain objects that mass forces them to give way. But then the moment I expected that theory to be proven, when the player ran across a bunch of loose-looking sheet metal and through a window outside, we never saw the zombie swarm fall through that sheet metal; instead, he blew them up with a molotov and red barrel.

As you can tell a lot of my curiosity stems from what I THINK that game is doing, because what I THINK that game is doing could be pretty fucking cool. But if it's all set pieces, everything I saw there begs comparisons to games that do it better. I can't imagine this game matching Last of Us narratively or atmospherically nor can I imagine it allowing for the creativity of Dead Rising in the gameplay based on what they showed.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One thing that's killing me about that Days Gone demo is that at no point did the zombies actually make a move to harm the dude. They caught up to him several times and just kinda shuffled against him for a second or two.

I'm sure that's a demo thing to ensure that it all goes smoothly and you can see what they want to show but...I dunno.

wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: That's a good point. I remember Brad saying during the MS conference something to the effect of, "If Dead Rising 4 didn't get leaked, I would be way more excited."

The reveals were cool, but nothing that would warrant "best conference ever." Resident Evil 7 was surprising, but that game does not inspire much confidence considering the trajectory that series is going in. I'm not a fan of the survival horror stuff either so that slow, plodding pace didn't do much for me. That Crash reveal was just a slap in the face to people who want a new Crash, and I don't even care about Crash one bit. Days Gone might have a great story like the Last of Us, but that demo did nothing to show that, nor have an interesting gameplay mechanic to differentiate it from the wide selection of other zombie games out there in the market. And the VR section seemed...rough and uninspired.

Real cool games (God of War, Horizon) brought down with uneven showings (VR, Days Gone). Personally, confused at the love this presser is getting.

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

I took off from the GB stream when the quality started dipping in the beginning and came back at the end. I was very surprised to see the tepid response from the GB crew, because I thought everything in the stream looked amazing.

They brought out some heavy hitters in the form of Batman Arkham VR and Star Wars Battlefront, and while the first one might be a bit dumb, the second one looked super cool. The other games on offer were rad as well too and aside from Crash Bandicoot and Lego, there were not really any other children's games taking up time. Hell, there weren't even any prolonged sports game or driving game sections to that thing.

If anything, Sony had too many games. It was one big sizzle reel of games they'll talk more about and that the press should cover over the next couple of days. Like Nintendo, I think this was a move from Sony to get away from the "traditional" conference about slinging numbers and talking about "dedication to the players", like what Microsoft did.

Jeff was right in saying "If they're just gonna do this, then just upload the trailers to an FTP somewhere", but I really think Sony wants to get the feel and response of a crowd... otherwise they wouldn't do those cinema events across America, right?

Anyway, absolute bangers! I can't wait to hear more about these games over the next couple of days.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

That was a pretty good series of demos. God of War seems like the exact right kind of reboot, the kind that is rare is see these days. Horizon Zero Dawn continues to look great, little bummed that isn't this year. Resident Evil was a nice surprise and Capcom pulled a Lost Planet and released their E3 demo on PSN (though not up for North America yet). Nice to see that the Insomniac Spider-man game was not just a rumour, the big white spider on the suit is a bit weird but the gameplay reminded me a lot of Treyarch's Spider-man 2 but more polished which is good because I really grew tired of the direction that Activision took that series. Detroit is Heavy Rain meets Blade Runner which makes sense, I can enjoy a David Cage game. Days Gone looks okay, the setting is a bit outplayed at this point but I'll give Sony Bend the benefit of the doubt since their work on PSP and Vita was pretty good.

Farpoint is being made by friend of mine so I guess I don't get to have an opinion on that.

The other VR stuff looks very like varying degrees of "Hey we stuck a VR camera in our triple-A game." Which I mean I can't blame them for since that is exactly what I did when the studio I was working for got an Oculus Dev Kit 1 but I didn't try to ship that stuff. Resident Evil definitely looks like it will be nauseating for some people though totally fine for people like me who are mostly fine with stuff like Windlands.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wumbo3000: Crash was odd, clearly something they weren't actually putting anything behind. And Resident Evil is a very small thing and looks really similar to PT. Seems so far off. Not sure what you can take from it. I have the same feelings as you. And really I am very high on God of War and Horizon.

kesadisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nailed the prediction

No Caption Provided

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I forgot to say I'm really looking forward in seeing what happens with that Spiderman game. Getting the team behind Sunset Overdrive to make a Spiderman games sounds like a really good fit (I know they're more well-known for Ratchet and Clank, and Resistance, but Sunset Overdrive has gameplay that I feel would transition closer into a fun Spiderman game).

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Horizon and Kojima's thing. Didn't give much of a shit about anything else they showed. Then sat back and watched my twitter feed fall all over itself with joy...?

Hey. Opinions.

wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frytup said:

Horizon and Kojima's thing. Didn't give much of a shit about anything else they showed. Then sat back and watched my twitter feed fall all over itself with joy...?

Hey. Opinions.

What are those? I'm unfamiliar with them. I only spit HOT FIRE.

kosayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By kosayn

God of War - Leaps and bounds ahead of what I expect from this series narratively. I'm not sure what to make of the threat level of the world they live in. Or the nonchalance of Kratos dealing with it. Either he's just always a badass, or he's specifically that same badass, having exhausted his Mediterranean murder opportunities.

Horizon Zero Dawn - I thought the dialogue was only okay, but also that it was refreshingly not an obvious vertical slice of quips and bravado. The talking to herself actually seemed much more strong, and unusual. The combat, crafting, creature design, world concepts, and the rest... so good. This looks to be Playstation's Zelda, and its own thing besides. Her headlong shambling run animation seems a bit hard to look at long term. Just saying.

Last Guardian -Yes, please.

Detroit - Sure. The world design alone drives my curiousity here.

Crash Bandicoot - I would have liked him to bust in with a suit and megaphone too. But I'm sure the ink is barely dry on that deal, so of course they have no real Crash game to show yet. Crash and Skylanders both needed each other as an excuse, so why not?

Spider-Man - Not a lot to critique, but the concept work looks good. It really does deserve another serious try. Prototype and Infamous have been like the methodone for Spider-Man 2.

FF15 - waiting for reviews as to how the whole package comes together, but I am sold on the pieces individually. I even thought the VR thing was fun to see, however badly realized. FF at its best gets very serious, and needs light-hearted diversions to balance that. Each little minigame doesn't have to be its own Michael Bay movie.

RE7 - Way past time for them to try something more modern, even if it is a direct shot at competition that no longer exists. At its core, this is a series that borrowed its game design whole cloth and made something good with it - see Alone in the Dark.

Days Gone - Mechanically, I think what we saw was very underrated, simply because it was zombies, and World War Z soured a lot of us on that trend. I'd like to see more.

Kojima's all you can waste crab buffet - I like restrained Kojima and I'm still bummed about PT. I dunno. Get him on the Gunslinger series if he wants to make something about seafood-themed drug trips on the beach. That said, some nice horror elements, and serious creativity... Maybe it'll get there.

I'm fine with 'games, games, games.' It's the middle of a generation, games are what we want. Let the console wars rest for a while and give VR a serious try with the mainstream. The worst that could happen is that we collectively learn what DOESN'T work with VR.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm not sure I was into any of that. Hopefully something will be announced off to the side of E3 that I will be into.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

wait a minute..... did Activision just let go of their annualized Spider-Man rights to Sony? They released 18 Spider-Man games for the past 16 years..... why isn't that BIGGER NEWS???

Avatar image for renegadedoppelganger
    RenegadeDoppelganger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey that Kojima thing looked cool. NeoGaf has already fallen deep into it's internet sleuthing hole and has turned up images such as this. Too bad whatever he is making, it's almost certainly a PS4 exclusive.

Horizon remains the most interesting thing resembling an actual game at these press conferences so far.

God of War looked intriguing but it's story and connection to the rest of the games remains a huge question mark. Did they actually clear the slate or are they attempting to weave this into the batshit canon that is the God of War plot.

RE7's presentation seemed very informed by PT. I really hope what they showed is representative of the game and not just an attempt to capitalize on it's popularity. I will gladly watch Patrick Klepek play through RE7 in VR on a future youtube video series.

All in all I much preferred seeing the games while not having to sit through a bunch of suits half-heartedly reading marketing bullet points from a teleprompter. The other side of that is that I did find myself coming away confused about some of what they showed, but I'm sure a lot of that will bear out in time.

LiberiFatali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't watch the GB stream (I prefer to watch the regular stream first, so I can actually hear the conference and then watch GB stuff later), but having read the forum posts and the GB guys' tweets, I'm surprised by their response. I don't expect them to be blown away by it, but it was a damn good conference. Not Sony's best, but the best conference out of this E3. God of War, Horizon, RE7, Spider Man, Kojima's game, Detroit.... It lulled a bit for me during the COD stuff and some of that VR showing, and I wish they had some indie games and Persona 5, but I'm happy with this conference.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d056614f191a
    deactivated-5d056614f191a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Sony definitely nailed the E3 press conference. I got excited to play something else other then jRPGs for a change.

God of War looks awesome, Days gone looks decent and Horizon: Zero Dawn looks better every time i see it.

Milijango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Milijango
    extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#79  Edited By extintor

I've just skipped through the stream archive briefly this morning (UK) to check highlights and saw that it got cut off early. Can anyone summarize the GB response to the conference overall? Did they summarize their thoughts on it? I'll be going back to watch the whole thing as soon as (or if) it gets re-uploaded but I'm intrigued by whether Sony VR looks any good and what the details are on the Neo in particular.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d056614f191a
    deactivated-5d056614f191a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#82  Edited By isomeri

Horizon looks cool enough to prevent me from selling my PS4. And I have tepid optimism towards God of War and The Last Guardian as well.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon said:

wait a minute..... did Activision just let go of their annualized Spider-Man rights to Sony? They released 18 Spider-Man games for the past 16 years..... why isn't that BIGGER NEWS???

Did the Spider-Man contract with Activision perhaps expire?

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@crithon said:

I'm fascinated about this, because Spider-Man Homecoming is 80% paid by Disney because Sony had too much trouble with 5 films for the past 15 years. This is a fact.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I don't know about God of War in the sense that it looks cool and really pretty from the limited footage we've seen - it also looks nothing like God of War. I get that the guys are tired of the formula, and so am I, but you build a certain foundation with a game and when you tear all that up with the roots and supplant it with something completely different is it really the same thing? Whats the point of calling it God of War if the only connection is the guy, and we don't even know how that is going to work out. This was a perfect moment to establish a new beginning with a new protagonist and an entirely new story to tell that won't have baggage tying it back to PS1 days. I don't actually want slow paced methodical combat from this franchise. I want it to remain fast, frantic and action packed, just updated for modern times.

They weren't supposed to re-invent the wheel here they were supposed to take the old rickety wooden wheel we've ridden to the ground and evolved it into a modern, sexy looking carbon fiber monster that would show us how much smoother and more fun the same ride can be in 2016.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God of War now looks like something I'll want to play and I'm glad Last Guardian is making 2016. A good conference and the lack of Rockstar means they're doing their next thing on their terms only.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Remember when they made Resident Evil 4 and it was a different formula to the previous games but it still turned out to probably be the best one they've made to date? I see both God of War and even the new Resident Evil like that. Sometimes you can continue a series and take it in a new game play direction. I'd be surprised if there wasn't faced paced combat in it too, with mooks. Think about how For Honor basically looked like Dynasty Warriors until the bosses turned up. I'd say it's the same here for GoW.

And Resident Evil looked great too. I've no problem with them calling it 7.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@jesus_phish: You're absolutely right that it could turn out to be this awesome new thing. Then again Resident Evil 4 did have a fundamental tone shift from those earlier games which were much more horror focused than action based. It definitely became a better playing game but it also strayed from what made that series what it was, and that tonal shift continued to build in RE5 and then RE6 as each title became progressively more about the action and less about the atmosphere. It could be great, but like I said I didn't want God of War to slow down I just wanted it to become something bigger and intricate than what it was. This doesn't seem to be evolving on what made those originals great, it's going in a completely new direction.

I mean just think we were all done with Kratos. I know I was. The gaming world could definitely use some new IP's, we don't need to keep dredging these gray haired protagonists out of the retirement homes for another lap around the proverbial block. This just feels like they wanted to make a new game and knew that piggybacking on the God of War name will get them more sales.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony wins again...wasn't even close.

Sony's Press Conf was something other Press Conf need to learn from. Games, Games, Games, Games, and more Games. Also, so far every thing VR up until last night just looked wonky and bad. Sony is the only company that can make me 'buy' into VR at this point.

Even the games that I don't want to play, they still look good. The Last Guardian isn't my type of game, but man I'm glad its finally coming out. Also, Days Gone seems like Sony's answer to Dead Rising since its Microsoft/PC only. Its also like an a non-Naughty Dog Last of Us.

And people saying they are expecting 'more'..Seriously, What in the hell else could you want? Seriously, one of the best press conferences I've seen.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extintor: I thought their discussion afterwards was very good. They basically felt a bit odd about the presentation. Some of the games look very good but the lack of indies, the way the VR stuff was presented and ending on a zombie game left them a little down.

The VR stuff wasn't great because we have no idea if most of the stuff they showed are full games or basically demos. Star Wars looks like it's one mission, batman and final fantasy I have no idea. Only RE7 looks like it'll be a full game but that's not VR exclusive.

And Sony said before they weren't going to talk about their new hardware so no details at all on that unfortunately.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By extintor

@sodapop7 said:

@extintor: I thought their discussion afterwards was very good. They basically felt a bit odd about the presentation. Some of the games look very good but the lack of indies, the way the VR stuff was presented and ending on a zombie game left them a little down.

The VR stuff wasn't great because we have no idea if most of the stuff they showed are full games or basically demos. Star Wars looks like it's one mission, batman and final fantasy I have no idea. Only RE7 looks like it'll be a full game but that's not VR exclusive.

And Sony said before they weren't going to talk about their new hardware so no details at all on that unfortunately.

thanks for the summary duder. Sounds like a solid press conference but with some elements a little under cooked at this stage.

Also I guess it makes sense not to talk about the new hardware in the shadow of bullish pronouncements from a competitor about theirs.

They're in the lead in all respects currently, why allow that narrative to change?

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Jesus_Phish

@humanity: Yeah I do kind of wish they took the ideas and made a new character. Someone pointed out rightly that they could've made a great Valkyrie type player character which would have been rad. Though I'll admit I'm kind of interested in seeing why and how they moved Kratos from his own mythology to another and if they can make it work without it just being "Kratos ran out of gods to kill".

*EDIT*

Also - I'm hype for Crash. I loved those games when I was a kid.

laxbro19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sophiafrances: I'm not entirely certain that Norman Reddus was human in that video. Also that baby had an aux chord that was plugged into Reedus.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extintor: I dunno it could go both ways I think. It felt weird to me for Sony to confirm that the neo exists but then not talk about it here same as Nintendo with the NX. It's a background question that everyone is wondering about and distracts from what they're talking about. Even just mentioning very basic stuff would've solved that problem probably.

With the rumors already out there that it won't be nearly as powerful as the new Xbox, Sony has given up any control of the messaging until they do finally talk about it. It could not matter but it could also give Xbox a chance to regain some of the public opinion they've lost to this point.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By extintor

@sodapop7 said:

@extintor: I dunno it could go both ways I think. It felt weird to me for Sony to confirm that the neo exists but then not talk about it here same as Nintendo with the NX. It's a background question that everyone is wondering about and distracts from what they're talking about. Even just mentioning very basic stuff would've solved that problem probably.

With the rumors already out there that it won't be nearly as powerful as the new Xbox, Sony has given up any control of the messaging until they do finally talk about it. It could not matter but it could also give Xbox a chance to regain some of the public opinion they've lost to this point.

Yes exactly. The MS presser had a bunch of developers telling us why the Scorpio is exciting to them and also MS committed to a processing power benchmark for it even if they didn't 'show the box'.

The initiative is absolutely with them on the hardware front now. There's nothing that Sony can or should say until they have a response because for now they still have a lead and for them to say anything acknowledges the existence of (what must now be assumed as) potentially superior hardware coming from their competitor (i.e. everything they could say right now would translate to a win for Microsoft, so saying nothing is the best course).

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#96  Edited By ez123

That Spiderman game could be something special. I'm not one to harp on developer pedigree, the trailer speaks for itself and I'm beyond excited. Spiderman 2 is one of my favorite games ever.

The Crash moment was a little sad at the time and hilarious in hindsight because of the execution. The announcement of a remaster of those games is great. Just don't play the music or have a Crash shadow before saying the words remaster, Layden. It's pretty easy. "We're proud to announce a remaster of one of the most beloved franchises in Playstation history," Crash music kicks in. Best case scenario would have been a trailer with the old graphics and transitions to new ones.

knivesouttt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By knivesouttt

I thought the Sony Press Conference was fantastic. Just for kicks, in terms of it being a sequel to the fan fare conference of last year, they delivered in a concise yet quietly epic way. It almost had a dark feel to it, but I can't really put my finger on why right now... Maybe just the orchestral score and lack of human quality, people on stage dancing, making quips etc. It almost had a subtly arrogant feel to it, but not in a bad way.

God of War looked fantastic. Visually very beautiful. Have to say I haven't played a lot of the series, but I applaud the way the seem to be moving and the game looks to be very interesting, instead of just another God of War game with pretty graphics, but who knows. I jumped out of my seat when the whiff of Crash Bandicoot swept through the air, but then was a little sobered when they said they were remakes... but hey, I grew up with those games and seeing them with stellar graphics will be great. Kojima. Yes. Sure. Whatever you want, I'm in. Also his entrance was brilliant and silly in all the right ways. Horizon looks fantastic, Spiderman has great potential, a release date for The Last Guardian, man, I thought it was a very solid press conference, especially after the other ones this year left me feeling a little hollow. Oh and Resident Evil 7. Really thought it looked a hell of a lot like P.T. at first, especially with the bugs on the table, but thought it was a great reveal and hopefully they can stick to the creepiness that it portrayed. Cool logo reveal as well.

Then... Days Gone. I was shocked that they didn't fade in 'A Last of Us Story' underneath the logo at the end, as that really really felt like The Last of Us. Not with the enemies, more thematically, musically, visually and even button prompt...ally. Not sure about that one... Who knows at the end of the day with quick glimpse of games, but overall I had a great time watching it and waiting with a 'what the hell are they gonna show next?!' look on my face. VR, sure, not that fussed, but great that it's not mega expensive and has a release date. In terms of enjoyment factor, to the point nature, excitement for the games shown and the future of the console, and overall presentation, Sony did fantastic and in my opinion, made the other conferences look pale in comparison.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

This was a strange press conference for me. It felt like it lacked a bit, but it had the most news worthy announcements. I'll go ahead and be the 30th guy who runs down a list of bullet points, I guess:

• VR was a miss fire. I can see myself getting a PS VR this year (I can't get anything else at least), but they should have showed more games. Batman Akrham VR isn't going to be a game. Your games are EVE, Adrift, SuperHyperCube, and Golem. These may not be "great games", but they are games. Paying $20 for a 15 minute demo where you move on rails and The Joker talks to you isn't what anybody really wants, and I am doubtful a lot of the games they showed are going to have the substance of a full retail or indie game.
    • Well I guess Lego and these Toys to Life games are still somewhat big. Woo-hoo.
    • Days Gone seemed intriguing when it looked like it was about a society that lost its technology. During the part where they alluded to how airplanes weren't flying anymore made it sound like all computers and circuitry died and everyone was living on their own. Then it turned into a zombie thing. Nothing about it was terrible, but it just seemed like they had more going on than that. (But man, did those swarms look good.)
    • But besides that, you had:
    • Wait what, that's the new God of War?!
    • Wait what, that's the new Resident Evil?!
    • Wait what, there is a new Spider-Man game? And it doesn't look terrible?
    • Wait what, Kojima is here already?! Let's get all aboard the 3 year Kojima hype train once again!
    • Jesus, Horizon looks amazing.
    • The Last Guardian, still real, is now more real than ever.
    • I loved Heavy Rain and didn't like Beyond: Two Souls. I will gladly give Detroit a shot.

Even with the exciting announcements and awesome things they did show, it is weird how they didn't have a two hour press conference. I say that knowing there isn't another Wonderbook demo, or how somebody got on stage to say "We have a 30 day exclusive on DLC nobody cares about". There wasn't any real cross promotion stuff either. You mainly heard about unique games to PlayStation. But it still felt like something was missing. They always did a great job with their indie showcase. This year, we got nothing. Indie games are always coming out now so it doesn't matter, but highlighting something like Firewatch on that scale is always cool.

And dammit, they should have had Persona 5 on the stage! That kind of isn't the crowd for Persona 5 footage like that, but it also totally is the stage for something that!!

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great games. bad press confrence.

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@crithon said:
    @spaceinsomniac said:
    @crithon said:

I'm fascinated about this, because Spider-Man Homecoming is 80% paid by Disney because Sony had too much trouble with 5 films for the past 15 years. This is a fact.

I took a look around the net (haha get it? because it's a spidered man who does a web like the spiders he is emulating with his super powers, what a pun!) and found this article.

"In case you're wondering why people are assuming this Spidey game will be a PS4 exclusive, now would be a good time to know that Activision are no longer involved.

This means a pretty big departure from previous Marvel games is likely on the horizon, as the company's decades long ownership of Marvel's videogame properties diminished at the start of 2014. With Sony Pictures being the main owners of the Spider-Man brand onscreen, it isn't too disingenuous to assume that their main console will be getting top priority."

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.