Video Problems? Get in here!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

We know lots of you are having video problems. We've looked into it and our CDN provider has too and so far we haven't found anything definitive. So that sucks. There's got to be a better way!

We've added diagnostics to the video player and a button for you to click to send us those diagnostics so we can see what you're seeing. (Hopefully) starting with Tuesday's live Quicklook you will see an extra button on the video player

No Caption Provided

If, any only if, you're having problems viewing the video at a decent quality please press this button to send us the diagnostics. You won't be sending anything more than an encrypted chunk of data that uniquely identifies your video session. We'll use that to find the details on our end so you're not sending any kind of private information.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I am going to try and fail to watch so many videos to help out.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By white

If the video is skipping frames (or in some cases, tens of minutes) with a green screen and a screeching wail, do I use that button?

The button warns me to only use it for poor quality and broken videos. My interpretation of "broken" videos is purely videos that just fail to load.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By rick

@white: Nope, that's a part of the broken definition for sure.

Avatar image for deactivated-62821d5829a8e
deactivated-62821d5829a8e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

So, just as of yesterday I am having problems loading videos using the streaming or progressive setting on chrome. If I use HTML5 it works perfectly fine and even works great but trying to stream anything live (like the current Spring Cleaning or I assume Unprofessional Fridays will not work for me).

I deleted my cookies and web data to see if that would help but didn't have any luck. My google chrome version is 41.0.2272.101.

If there is any other info you need just let me know.

Thanks.

SiC24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SiC24

Progressive and streaming videos stopped for me a couple of days ago. HTML5 still works. Turning off HTTPS Everywhere extension in Chrome seems to fix the problem.

Avatar image for subliminalkitteh
SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Videos work for me, thanks edgework, but that new feature with the exclamation mark doesn't show for me on the player, so, bug maybe? It doesn't bother me, just informing you that such a thing exists, or doesn't in this case...

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By white

Videos work for me, thanks edgework, but that new feature with the exclamation mark doesn't show for me on the player, so, bug maybe? It doesn't bother me, just informing you that such a thing exists, or doesn't in this case...

The icon isn't there, but if you hover over to where it's supposed to be the popup will appear.

familyguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well...as SiC24 said, Turning off the HTTPS Everywhere extension worked for me...interesting.

banicabolnica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I am having problems loading the videos from the site. It looks like I have problem loading the videos, like I have I-net from 5 years ago but I have decent one I think. Most of the time I am trying to watch the premium content on *high* quality and it loads so slow. I tried streaming, html 5 and so on but still it stops so often. Sometimes it can't load the and resume from where I was the last time. It's so strange because when I watch the gamespot videos they load really fast though I know they are mostly short it makes no sense to me since our bombers are in the same building as gamespot guys.

I have chrome, i-explorer and mozzila but with all of them the same result. I tried even to not use any internet at all except the video I am trying to load and still if I try to watch it on high quality it stops really often. I started download the video I want to watch since sometimes it's faster to wait a bit and then watch it with some video player on my PC. >_< As I download the videos I get like 500Kb/s to 1.2Mb/s.

therealtakeshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thirding the fix from @sic24 (thanks!). Just disallowing giantbomb.com in HTTPS Everywhere allowed the videos to load and auto-quality properly.

No Caption Provided

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes when a video is fullscreen the controls won't hide unless i refresh the page, that's probably more of a problem on my end though so should i click the button for that issue?
Also, and this might also just be me, but videos that run at 60fps like Metal Gear Scanlon feel choppy, not completely smooth, it's a very subtle issue which happens on every high frame rate video so i am assuming it's me, do these videos appear completely smooth to everyone else? (not using HTML5, on Firefox).

benjo_t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By benjo_t

Very, very often the player fails to load the video at all, so instead I just open up the file directly in my browser via the "Download" button. I feel like I should report the page, but it says "abuse of the button" is bannable so that scared me away. I did use HTTPS Everywhere but even with it off this issue still seems to pop up.

gravytrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@therealtakeshi: I'm still seeing video quality issues, but this did at least fix it so I don't have to use html5 (which turns into a slideshow quite often), thanks for this fix in the chat during UPF!

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Live videos haven't been working on Chrome for a while. All I get are four horizontal bars on a black screen. The new ! button also doesn't do anything when I click on it.

OneFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@therealtakeshi: Amazing. Worked for me. I'd have never have thought of that. Thanks!

Avatar image for vibratingdonkey
vibratingdonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17  Edited By vibratingdonkey
@therealtakeshi said:

Thirding the fix from @sic24 (thanks!). Just disallowing giantbomb.com in HTTPS Everywhere allowed the videos to load and auto-quality properly.

Also solved it in Firefox.

And it fixed this.
And it fixed this.

Art_Vandelay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still having major problems with randomly stopping videos... had these problems a year ago or so, now they are back with a vengeance...

ara313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the past couple of months videos have been not starting for me. I can usually get it to go by refreshing and clicking play a couple of times... Ultimately, if available, I just choose the Youtube links.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

My videos still stop after about a minute and then struggle to buffer. Not using HTTPS Everywhere, so that's not my issue. I've also tried the server-switching trick from a while back to no avail. Doesn't seem to be getting any better.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Brendan

I'm one of the probably 5 people using the site with Internet Explorer on Windows RT (Surface 2) and no video controls work. No sound, skip-ahead, fullscreen...nuthin. I set it to HD, zoom in using touch so the video fills most of the screen and that's all I can do.

pixelat3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@therealtakeshi said:

Also solved it in Firefox.

And it fixed this.
And it fixed this.

They're having access-control-allow-origin header issues with the content they're serving. Their server guys will have to fix it eventually, but for now just removing it from https everywhere will do the trick (and will continue to do so well after they have fixed it).

positron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Videos stop after a minute or two. Downloading = speeds of 22kb. I'm on a 150meg connection, something is busted here.

Avatar image for pastor_richards
pastor_richards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone else having video problems today? None of the videos are currently playing on my end...

tathertron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone else having video problems today? None of the videos are currently playing on my end...

Yep, can't stream any video on the site. Either it will buffer for ages then crash or it will send the video back to the beginning from a random point in the middle.

Avatar image for pastor_richards
pastor_richards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By pastor_richards

@tathertron: Ok phew, thought it was just me and I would have to take some time out to try and troubleshoot this issue. Wonder what is going on... Thanks for the feedback.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I normally have my video quality set to HTML5- High, but for the last couple of days, videos have been resetting to Streaming- Auto. It's happened 4 or 5 times since Saturday.

Avatar image for digitaldiatribe
digitaldiatribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do you guys do any uploading at midnight Pacific time or something? There's been situations where I'm watching a video and it buffers constantly while I'm watching consistently starting at that time. It's happening right now as I'm typing watching the Metal Gear Scanlon 3: Part 13.

BearPawB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BearPawB

I cant stream any videos on the site unless they are youtube links.

Is it a bug on my end?

Avatar image for digitaldiatribe
digitaldiatribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nevermind, it's not you guys. It's Time Warner Cable doing "maintenance". Seems weird that they've been doing this for the last few days...

nakamuraness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started having this issue two nights ago. The live streams are hitching every 30 sec to a minute, and the QLs are streaming at really low quality when I have auto set on, or pretty much not playing if I try to force HD. I clicked the button, so hopefully that helps you figure out the problem...

SleepingLesson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#33  Edited By SleepingLesson

All videos have stopped working for me. Can't stream, use HTML 5, or Progressive. This happens on a weekly basis.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got this strange issue where every once in a while the page will refresh itself right in the middle of a video. After I Fill Browser and hit Play again the video tries to jump back to where I was, but it's usually tens of minutes behind where I actually was and I have to manually jump ahead.

The last time this happened was just a few minutes ago while watching the Stealth Inc. 2 Quick Look.

Dimmuxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Streaming speed have been really bad lately with a lot of buffering so I have to watch stuff from youtube instead.

C64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By C64

"Please use a Flash or HTML5 capable browser to watch movies."

My web browser Safari 8.0.5 is HTML5 capable but I still can't watch videos on this site. I have to use Chrome but I don't like that web browser so please fix it so I can use Safari. Thanks.

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By tuxfool

Lately, I've been having CDN issues on livestreams. They're getting a bit annoying but I have a sort of workaround.

Basically If I connect normally, the stream starts hitching and stopping to buffer nearly constantly. If I connect through a proxy, to the US or to the UK then the stream is fine. Unfortunately connecting through a proxy breaks chat.

I've had problems in the past temporarily, but recently (past 2/3 weeks) it is the worst it has ever been.

vonsoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

How do I full screen on tablets now?

VectorRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey guys, my problem is that recently after about five minutes of watching a video, it will start to freeze every fifteen seconds or so, for about a second. Audio is unaffected. I can fix it temporarily by switching to low quality and back to high, but it will start freezing again after the five minutes.

On a related note didn't the played used to have an auto quality feature?

Thanks for any help!

Deadstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HTML5 videos never seen to work on firefox. Not sure if it's a problem on my end or what. They just won't start. Well, sometimes they do but not always. The new crypt of the necrodancer quicklook worked but I'm trying to watch the unfinished one and it's not working.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey guys, my problem is that recently after about five minutes of watching a video, it will start to freeze every fifteen seconds or so, for about a second. Audio is unaffected. I can fix it temporarily by switching to low quality and back to high, but it will start freezing again after the five minutes.

On a related note didn't the played used to have an auto quality feature?

Thanks for any help!

I have also been suffering from this exact issue. The audio continues to play normally, but there is an ever so slight video buffering and then speed up every 15-20 seconds or so.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm currently trying to watch the Crypt of the Necrodancer Quick Look, but Giant Bomb's video is freezing every few seconds. I decided to watch it on Youtube and not a single pause in 10 minutes so far. Hopefully whatever is causing this gets worked out soon, because I imagine it will make watching Premium Content next to impossible.

I had something similar many months back, but switching to HTML5 was the suggested option at the time and it seemed to work. Not anymore apparently.

Bullitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Bullitus

Videos have suddenly stopped working. I click play and all I get is a black screen. No progress bar, no quality select. Nothing. Happens with every video. This started a few days ago and hasn't happened before. I'm on OS X (10.10.3) and Safari 8.0.5. I tried Chrome and it works but I'd like to use Safari for everything.

betoq92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By betoq92

I can't watch live content anymore nor can I watch quick looks when using the "Streaming" Quality option; all I get is the four loading blocks. I first noticed this when I tried to watch the Mario party party 4 live show. Im using OS X 10.10.3 and the Chrome browser it also doesn't work for me on safari.

Bullitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bullitus said:

Videos have suddenly stopped working. I click play and all I get is a black screen. No progress bar, no quality select. Nothing. Happens with every video. This started a few days ago and hasn't happened before. I'm on OS X (10.10.3) and Safari 8.0.5. I tried Chrome and it works but I'd like to use Safari for everything.

I've narrowed the problem down to HTML5. Other video options still work, HTML5 does not.

npa189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By npa189

Another case of safari 8.0.5 not working here, I'd use chrome but the recent revelation of it slaying battery life has caused me to switch.

ThomasCro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Getting lag every two seconds on the Big Live Live Show, unwatchable. Did a speedtest, have 8mpbs download, all other websites work fine.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Seikenfreak

Neither of the video streams are showing up in the giantbomb.com/chat page. It was working for the first 20-30 mins and then I decided to re-log to get chat working again and now neither of them appear on that page. Tried relogging again, restarting browser, and clearing cookies.

I am able to watch the main stream on the front page though.

Firefox 37.0.2, Win 7

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I have an odd one

For the past few months I've been watching the majority of GB videos through Internet Explorer (WHAT?) on Xbox One - as this is the best way for me to view videos on my TV. It's the only way (short of downloading and then streaming via media server) that I can watch premium videos. Was working fine today until this afternoon, when suddenly it demanded a better browser with flash or html5.

My Xbox hasn't updated so I'm wondering if something changed on the GB end

Doctobear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I can't watch any video i have know idea why.