Video Problems? Get in here!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

im pretty sure i dont have to use the button yet im gonna post this "bug" (this happens mostly with older and long content) i have problem with videos loading. almost like it needs to buffer. althought its not that since its not always that and when that seems to be the problem i have tried letting it say there paused for multiple hours just to make sure. also some of the videos have that slight "buffer" problem and then when it plays it sometimes just ends the video as if it skipped to the end. im pretty sure it not a matter of internet speed since i have 150/150 or harware since i have tried it on 3 different pc's and not a bowser thing since i have also tested it with explorer, chrome and firefox. and this bug has been going on for me at least for ages. but if its not a common problem then thats great since i can live with it

Tribski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Tribski

I found something strange. I couldn't play any videos on giantbomb after installing Avast antivirus. Uninstalling by itself didn't help, but it started working after I also cleaned the system using ccleaner. Any idea if this was a strange coincidence/something actually happened? More precisely, when I tried to load videos the video player would show, but I couldn't clik on it (mouse cursor would change to "not clickable" as well), and I would see for a moment the old "image not found icon" inside the player" as well as an outline of an image filling ~100% of the player. I'm using newest firefox, the problem also occured in newest IE, I don't have chrome on this PC. It only affected GiantBomb videos (youtube and escapist worked fine)

Avatar image for thelagermeister
thelagermeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By thelagermeister

Avatar image for thelagermeister
thelagermeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One thing I just noticed was I was watching a video with Jeff and Brad(Not a Hero), no issues HD HTML5. Then right away started watching one from GBEAST(Rebel Galaxy) and all sorts of buffering issues. Not sure if coincidence or if they do something different with their video.

vorsic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By vorsic
@deadstar said:

HTML5 videos never seen to work on firefox. Not sure if it's a problem on my end or what. They just won't start. Well, sometimes they do but not always. The new crypt of the necrodancer quicklook worked but I'm trying to watch the unfinished one and it's not working.

The HTML5 player has a weird bug on Firefox, after you click on the red arrow right click on the video and pick 'play' from the dropdown menu. The player works perfectly after that. It's been like that for a while and I don't know why. It only happens on Giant Bomb, every other HTML5 player on the internet that I've used has worked perfectly.

ThomasCro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a similar problem, only that the download speeds from GB is 30kbps max! And I have a 10mpbs connection.

I can't watch anything that isn't on YouTube or if I don't download the file to my disk.

I'm currently downloading UPF and it is 15 hours remaining for a 1.7GB file.

LarryDavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The video player won't remember my preference, it keeps reverting back to "streaming/auto" instead of "progressive/hd".

kinggiddra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The video player won't remember my preference, it keeps reverting back to "streaming/auto" instead of "progressive/hd".

I've had the same issue starting earlier this week.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Using Chrome on windows 8.1, everything up to date. Tried watching the latest UPF yesterday around midnight using the Streaming preference and after about 5-10 minutes it would stop playing and revert back to the start, not remembering where I left off. I could start playback again at any point in the video but the same issue occurred three times in a row. Switched to HTML5 and it played with no problems.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#61  Edited By monetarydread

Every time I try to watch a video I get a black screen. Using the latest Firefox and all the HTML 5 goodies enabled (MSE for example).

loganchase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Can't download any of the videos. Only getting this.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgework do HTML5 videos not work in firefox? I was going to switch from chrome to firefox, but I might not if that's the case.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rongalaxy: Not at the moment, unless you install a third party plugin. Sorry, this is not something we can change. Firefox still won't support mp4 and we still won't double our media storage to also support the inferior WEBM format.

Click here for more info

freedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#66  Edited By freedo

I can't seem to watch HTML 5 videos on Firefox. All the other options work fine but when I choose HTML 5 (HD or otherwise) and hit play I just get a black screen. No loading or anything. So, what up?

Thanks

edit: Man, I totally missed that someone already answered this. Never mind.

dirtytea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The DMC4:SE Quick Look is stopping for me every few minutes. (Chrome, Streaming, HD)

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since this morning (8 hours ago) I can't play videos at all. The play button does not appear. The shaded rectangle where the video would normally be is there, and when I mouse-over my cursor turns into a hand, but clicking does nothing. Right clicking it gives me the default right click menu as though I'd clicked the background.

Windows 8.1, latest Chrome.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By TyCobb

Looks like AdBlockPlus is the cause of my issue for not playing videos.

Need to add a custom filter in order to allow the static.giantbomb.com javascript files. Just put the following in the filters.

@@|http://static.giantbomb.com/js/*

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheWyotee93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm not getting a play button to appear on any videos, so I'm unable to start any of them. The cursor changes to the finger as if the big red play button was there, but clicking on the space does nothing.

kkotd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By kkotd

@thewyotee93 said:

I'm not getting a play button to appear on any videos, so I'm unable to start any of them. The cursor changes to the finger as if the big red play button was there, but clicking on the space does nothing.

Same thing happening to me. Windows 8.1 Chrome 43.0. Works fine on Firefox 38.0

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fragioli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I accidentally deleted my post from a few days ago. It just said that I have the same problem as described by the folks above me, where the play button is simply not appearing. My problem isn't with an ad blocker though. I've tried disabling all extensions and clearing my hosts file to no avail. The only virus scanner I run is MSE. I can't think of anything else I've done that might interfere with these videos loading. I have this problem on two different PCs running Windows 7 in Firefox, Chrome, and IE.

Avatar image for deactivated-64b8656eaf424
deactivated-64b8656eaf424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgework said:

@rongalaxy: Not at the moment, unless you install a third party plugin. Sorry, this is not something we can change. Firefox still won't support mp4 and we still won't double our media storage to also support the inferior WEBM format.

Click here for more info

I think your info is outdated, on the page you just linked to it specifically says that certain patented media "can be viewed in Firefox using built-in OS libraries (so neither Mozilla nor you need to pay a fee) if embedded in the MP4 container format".

Also just tested GB player in HTML5 mode and it worked. Occasionally there's a bug and the video doesn't play immediately, and you have to right click the player and hit Play from that menu.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By darkvare

@sinusoidal said:

Since this morning (8 hours ago) I can't play videos at all. The play button does not appear. The shaded rectangle where the video would normally be is there, and when I mouse-over my cursor turns into a hand, but clicking does nothing. Right clicking it gives me the default right click menu as though I'd clicked the background.

Windows 8.1, latest Chrome.

i have this exact same issue but i'm using the latest firefox version

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IcedWhale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a Chromebook and was only able to watch videos by switching to html5 or the youtube option (both streaming and progressive fail to work), but now that my membership has lapsed I can't use those two options so it is impossible for me to get any videos to play. Has anyone figured out a work around, or does everyone on chromebooks have this issue?

(toshiba chromebook 2)

um_yeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgework: i was just about to create a thread about this, since i lost the last few months of videos while doing some OS changes and was going to try just playing back via the website rather than redownloading it all..but the player simply wont even load anything in either progressive or streaming, unless i manually set it to LOW but even then its hit or miss, most of the time the quality button will then grey out and i have to reload to try again, but TBH this has always been like this for years, ive been coming to the site since E3 2013 and why i used to just go to the youtube channel to watch everything prior to getting premium and now i just download everything using the RSS feeds which have great throughput so its clearly not your site or my fiber connection. i can even open the download (im assuming its HTML5) stream in the browser and watch back in HD without issue, immediately, but hitting play on the proper website player doesnt. this is in Linux with both Firefox 38.0 with Flash 11.2 r202.468 (latest linux verison) and Chrome 43.0.2357.130 (64-bit) which has the proper latest 18.0.0.194 (ironically right now at 1am EST videos are loading fine but werent back during the late afternoon, download speeds are always consistent tho 24/7)

pickassoreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

Recently post-E3, I've been seeing glitches/corruption on some videos which are actually part of the video rather than any bandwidth issues. I know this because I've replayed sections of video with the corruption and it appears at the same place. There was a bunch on the Arkham Knight QL, though there's one around the 8:11/8:12 mark on the recent Arcade Archives - http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-arcade-archives-round-05/2300-10445/

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By rick

There was, well still is, some confusion with bit rates so they're really high right now. If you're on a slow connection you're going to notice unfortunately. We're working on getting this resolved. Hopefully today we'll have bit rates that will work for you.

PXAbstraction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Recently post-E3, I've been seeing glitches/corruption on some videos which are actually part of the video rather than any bandwidth issues. I know this because I've replayed sections of video with the corruption and it appears at the same place. There was a bunch on the Arkham Knight QL, though there's one around the 8:11/8:12 mark on the recent Arcade Archives - http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-arcade-archives-round-05/2300-10445/

I can confirm this as well. Happens on my gaming desktop, my laptop and my work PC. I have 60MBps cable at home and 150MBps fibre at work so it's not a bandwidth issue. Random distortions/visual corruption at the same points in the videos. They started for me with the first E3 stream archive and are on every video now. I'm watching the latest UPF right now and seeing it. Something's not encoding right. I seem to recall this happened for a while a couple of years ago and Vinny/Drew had to change something with their render settings?

fragioli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I figured out my problem. I use Ad-free time's DNS servers to get around the MLB.tv regional blackouts, but I didn't realize, despite its name, that it was also running an ad blocker. I disabled that feature and now I finally see the play button. :)

swordmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been having a problem watching videos in the player. I always download HD to watch video and recently it has been VERY slow. Like half FPS but the audio is normal speed. I'm on Chrome and a HP laptop. Restarting my computer fixes the problem for a limited amount of time and then no video works again. Any help?

Jetlag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pickassoreborn: yup. I download everything and there are consistent video and audio glitches on everything since E3. Something isn't right.

dougfunk15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello, since around E3 any video I download of significant length seems to stop around the 1 hour 22 minute mark.

I download archived videos such as Unprofessional Fridays, E3 Video Talks, the new Best Fighting Game Video (TohShinDen), and play them using VLC Media Player, Windows Media Player, or other programs.

Regardless of the media player I use, they all seem to suddenly stop around 1 hour and 22 minutes in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

um_yeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

after trying it in the PS4 browser which defaults to HTML5 and having no issues, i just tried that in my web browser and it defiantly works better than flash. now we just need an option to make that the default since pretty much everything can nativly play it

JayCee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

So here is a new one- I went to play the MKX Predator DLC trailer and found that the video was not only unavailable, but also had a graphic of Batman saying nope.

Other videos work fine and this is the first I've seen the image.

I'm using Chrome as my browser. Thanks!

Avatar image for anonymousbroccoli
AnonymousBroccoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I've been having the video glitches, as @pickassoreborn, @pxabstraction, and @jetlag have mentioned. I also feel like it's been happening since and including the E3 shows. I usually do HD downloads.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/jeff-plays-trackmania-2-stadium/2300-10483/

At 1:00:14. My bandwidth is lousy, so I can't check Progressive, and HTML5 has never worked for me. (Firefox issue?) I tried all 3 quality settings on Streaming, and it happens in all 3, as well as in the HD download.

Looks like it's only for the gameplay feed. Jeff's section, and the borders seem fine.

https://imgur.com/a/nXa2x#0

Also quite noticeable in a couple of blips a few seconds later, at about 1:00:45. (And fairly often for another few minutes afterwards.) Though there may be some blockiness at the top of Jeff's section in this one.

https://imgur.com/a/NjJSs#0

I don't often watch shows live, so I can't say if this sort of thing happens there. I didn't notice it during today's live UPF. (July 10, 2015)

Avatar image for anonymousbroccoli
AnonymousBroccoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

um_yeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By um_yeah

everything has been pretty good so far recently, specifically the progressive mode

Slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, I always download every premium and show form video for my home server and watch it later on the tv.

And every HD file since E3 2015 has artifacts in it or weird video signals and that is on the HD .mp4 files.
Before E3 never had these problems.
So weird :( Really wish this problem is quickly revolved.

WizardlyCactus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been having problems with downloading videos from this site where the download would stop 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through said download and result in videos that would not play all the way through.

pickassoreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

Don't think there's any glitches/artifacts on any GBeast vids, which kind of makes sense.

mattclassic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The site has been incredibly slow for me lately. It's made watching any premium videos basically impossible because the player has to buffer for 15 seconds for every 5 seconds of playback. I'm getting sub dial-up download speeds as well. My connection isn't the greatest - 4G - but there's no way it should be this bad because up until recently I could watch streaming videos on the site in HD without incident. GB is also the only site that's behaving like this.

I've had this problem once before in the past and it seemed to fix itself after a day or so, but this has been going on since last Thursday.

TepidShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I've been having video artifacting on nearly every downloadable GB SF video as well since E3 and it appears to lead to audio lag in a lot of cases. I also noticed it wasn't happening on GB NY videos so I would guess it might have something to do with how the SF guys are compressing their videos. I don't know. But I'm having the same issues other people in this thread are having too.

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

@jaycee said:
No Caption Provided

So here is a new one- I went to play the MKX Predator DLC trailer and found that the video was not only unavailable, but also had a graphic of Batman saying nope.

Other videos work fine and this is the first I've seen the image.

I'm using Chrome as my browser. Thanks!

Same problem for me, tried disabling Adblock and adding the filter mentioned above, but no luck :(