Why Can't I Download Video? (or) Where's My Videos?

san_salvador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I'm trying to add the premium video feed (http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/feed/hd/) to iTunes. When I add the URL iTunes asks me for username/password, but it says it's wrong. Which it isn't. I just logged out and in again in the browser, my credentials are correct. What's the matter?

craigbandicoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#352  Edited By craigbandicoot

@edgework said:

@frenden: Its not impossible.

Your feed url should look like this.

http://user:pass@www.giantbomb.com/videos/feed/mobile/?api_key=aaabbb111

Thank you, this worked for me after constantly getting Jeff's video about something going wrong.

smek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Well that was a new bug, I added project beast killer instinct QL to jdownloader last night they where the right size files. let it run over night and something went funky and i got the error videos instead. Thats going to be fun videos have a chance to error out over night :(

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#354  Edited By rick

@thelegendofmart said:

@edgework said:

@wiii: You may be hitting the 20 per day download limit. Your downloader may be trying to help you by downloading too much. If you send me your API key I can tell you for sure if that's the case.

Some downloaders use threads to download, so what your saying is to try and stop people giving out links you are screwing over the people who have paid into the site for years.

If a downloader indiscriminately downloads everything it sees then yes, we want to block it. The 20 per day is per video, not download. i.e. you can download the same video 100 times if you need to but you can only download 20 district videos a day which is more than enough given we at most produce 5 videos per day.

This had nothing to do with piracy. Its about cost and trying to keep an ad-free site running from subscriptions without jacking up the price to you guys. Having a downloader randomly download a 2 hour video that you're never going to watch costs us money.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@san_salvador: Where in iTunes are you adding the feed? For me iTunes won't even let me enter the feed if it has the API key appended. If I "Open Stream" or "Subscribe to podcast" with the feed not including the API key it either does nothing or plays a random song in my library.

djghostmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have been lurking on this page trying to resolve my own issues and thought it was time to add my own testing experience.

Giant Bomb Video App – Seems to work now for me at least. It used to show a red text. That was resolved and then it gave 404 errors when attempting to download. Now all is well.

PocketCasts@edgework answered this prior. You need to use the url that has both the authentication (http://username:password@www.giantbomb.com/etc.) and the API appended. Works fine.

Podcasts.app on iOS – This is my preferred method and I just can't get it to work anymore. In olden days, you just added the feed and you would be asked for username and password. Now, doing that goes straight to jeff.error messages. Using the API key instead:

• http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/feed/mobile/?api_key=aaabbb111 – I can stream fine, but whenever I download a file it gets to the very end and errors out with the message: "Unable to Download Podcast – "Video Name" could not be downloaded at this time.
  • http://user:pass@www.giantbomb.com/videos/feed/mobile/?api_key=aaabbb111 – I get the exact same situation

It is definitely frustrating not getting this to work. Podcasts.app has features the others don't that make it the ideal experience for me. Maybe I am missing something.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smek: I think you may have the wrong download links. That video got mangled and had to be fixed. The links that went out in the feed were wrong for a period of time. Try again now.

Avatar image for thelegendofmart
TheLegendOfMart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgework said:

@thelegendofmart said:

@edgework said:

@wiii: You may be hitting the 20 per day download limit. Your downloader may be trying to help you by downloading too much. If you send me your API key I can tell you for sure if that's the case.

Some downloaders use threads to download, so what your saying is to try and stop people giving out links you are screwing over the people who have paid into the site for years.

If a downloader indiscriminately downloads everything it sees then yes, we want to block it. The 20 per day is per video, not download. i.e. you can download the same video 100 times if you need to but you can only download 20 district videos a day which is more than enough given we at most produce 5 videos per day.

This had nothing to do with piracy. Its about cost and trying to keep an ad-free site running from subscriptions without jacking up the price to you guys. Having a downloader randomly download a 2 hour video that you're never going to watch costs us money.

I never said it randomly downloaded anything, I said it used threads to download a single file.

I'm done anyway.

zc92351

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#361  Edited By zc92351

@edgework: Hi, the first post does not address my issue.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#362  Edited By rick

@zc92351: Sorry. Its looking like some Android devices can no longer play videos at all. This would be any device that doesn't support HLS.

Rakete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Video Buddy on Android Samsung S6 and Medion Tablet now working for me.

Pilgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgework: Seems like selecting HTML breaks the videos and shows the error message instead. Streaming/Progressive works fine!

CharlesDA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#366  Edited By CharlesDA

@edgework: If both vlc and mx player still don't work, then is the v10 one of those phones that just no longer plays videos?

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@charlesda: Do you happen to know which version of Android?

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pilgore: That makes no sense to me. I'm sure you're not making this up! I'm just really confused. If HTML5 isn't working Progressive should also not be working. They're essentially the same thing from the back-end standpoint.

What device are you on? Sorry if that was asked and answered before. I have a lot to keep track of.

Donch_Eadle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The giant bomb video buddy stopped working for me on my LG G4 and my Samsung Galaxy tab pro 8.4. I am a premium member with my account linked and I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app and still nothing works.

Pilgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#370  Edited By Pilgore

@edgework said:

@pilgore: That makes no sense to me. I'm sure you're not making this up! I'm just really confused. If HTML5 isn't working Progressive should also not be working. They're essentially the same thing from the back-end standpoint.

What device are you on? Sorry if that was asked and answered before. I have a lot to keep track of.

Np dude. I'm using the browser app on a Samsung TV. Model number is UE55HU7500. Could be lack of support from the developer. Samsung uses these upgrade kits that basically replace the hardware in your TV with an external box. I'm still using all the old software/hardware (those kits are like 600 dollars) so it might just be lack of support. I've been watching 80% of GB content with this browser for years now.

CharlesDA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#372  Edited By rick

@charlesda: Can you play this stream?

http://qthttp.apple.com.edgesuite.net/1010qwoeiuryfg/sl.m3u8

Interpol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I am on OSX and I cannot use iTunes to download podcasts, what client actually works to download the podcasts other than just going to the website?

CharlesDA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@charlesda: OK so HLS is not your problem. Sorry if this was asked and answered but can you view video on the site from your device?

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@interpol: Since when have you not been able to download podcasts on iTunes? You mean audio podcasts. Right? That's our number 1 off-site priority to support. AFAIK audio podcasts work fine on iTunes.

CharlesDA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgework: Only when in Desktop view. Mobile still displays videos as pictures.

Interpol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#378  Edited By Interpol

@edgework: I'm talking about the premium HD video feed for subscriber podcasts. I get the error message for any video I've tried to download since the middle of last week. I've tried every solution posted on this thread but still cannot get any video to work.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@interpol: Please tell me step by step how you subscribed to the HD video feed on iTunes.

Interpol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgework: Opened iTunes, clicked 'subscribe to podcast', when the box opens up, I've entered the following feed url's:

1) http://user:pass@www.giantbomb.com/videos/feed/hd/

2) http://user:pass@www.giantbomb.com/videos/feed/hd/?api_key=aaabbb111

3) http://user:pass@www.giantbomb.com/videos/feed/hd/?(my unique API)

4) http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/feed/hd/

5) http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/feed/hd/?api_key=aaabbb111

6) http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/feed/hd/?(my unique API)

Obviously, I am entering my username and password in the url's above.

Each method I've tried has worked as far as recognizing the feed and producing videos to download. However, any video I attempt to download or stream through the iTunes subscription plays the error video.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@interpol: OK it got it to work using method 2. Here on my work computer. At home I can't even get iTunes to accept the URL. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No Caption Provided

Maybe if you have version 12.3.3.17 you'll have the same luck?

Frenden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#382  Edited By Frenden

Try with https, maybe? Http urls (with no "s" appended) were causing errors in Pocket Casts for some reason.

That ended up being the hang-up in my Pocket Casts RSS. I was using the user:pass method with the api key added to the end, but it was refusing non-https urls.

Interpol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgework: Hmm..well I'm on the same version of itunes. I don't know, but it is very frustrating.

UnderseaManboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgework Having the exact same issues as Interpol (iTunes 12.3.3.17). It recognizes the feed but I still get the 42 second error message.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@underseamanboy: I see no requests using your API key. Are you sure you entered in correctly in the feed URL?

Interpol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frenden: Thanks for the suggestion, but that did not work either.

funkpanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Got VLC to work finally. Had to clear my browser cache on my android device. You may want to suggest that on the front.

Video buddy still doesnt work however.

thomblweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey

Videos no longer authenticate when downloading and I receive the error message videos instead.

I use BeyondPod and have done so for years so not sure if there is an error at your end or is there something else I need to try to resolve this issue?

Many thanks

simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Dogcatcher crapped out again however using iTunes on my office workstation seems to not be having any issues (URL + api_key). Installed version is 12.3.3.17

wiII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#391  Edited By wiII
@wiii said:

Doggcatcher android app pointed at the RSS video feeds with my user name/PW (no API key) has worked for years. This morning I got the Jeff error message when trying to download the new best of video. Came here and followed #3 instructions and added the API key to the rss. It worked briefly. I was able to download two videos (GBE playdate bloodborne and the latest Best of). Now this evening I'm getting the Jeff error video again. Premium podcasts feed (w/ username and password and no API key) works fine. I'll check back during the work week to see if this has been fixed.

Edit: also I am using a Galaxy S6 if that info is needed. Thanks

@edgework said:

Now it is just acting strange. Here is the order of events I did testing it out today: I was able to download 3 videos (hyperlight drifter in mobile quality and high, and Killer Instinct. Then I tried to download the Best of video and Paragon and got a download error, no Jeff video. The download fails (UPDATE) differently for each video Best of video fails immedialy and Doggcatcher reports an error 404 saying Cause: This error can have a few different causes: authentication, feed no longer available, or video not longer available for download (update: The paragon video actually starts to download for a few second and then errors out saying "com.doggcatcher.apache.http.connectionclosedexception: Premature end of Content Length delimited message body". Then I tried another video (UPF) and that downloaded just fine and another Project Beast and again downloaded fine. I have no idea what is going on.

I have the giantbomb video feeds setup in doggcatcher only to download what I tell it to (no auto download, it updates the feed once a day automatically but downloads nothing). Should PM you my API key?

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thomblweed: Try again today and let me know how that goes. I don't see any record of your API key authenticating yesterday or today. That means the app isn't even trying to hit us with the correct URL for some reason.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@00: This is your problem:

This is the request we see (notice the garbage at the end. its a bug in the app)

/2016/03/31/vf_killerinstinctseason3_ql_033116_4000.mp4?api_key=**YOURKEY**http://00:3kUG96QHE7Kj8}.g=>y9HM3DdN9P
rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wiii: I only see one request for you and this video doesn't exist.

/2016/04/01/vf_giantbomb_bestof_95_600.mp4?api_key=**YOURKEY**

That may be in the feed from a time when our video publishing was jacked up.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@simian: All I see with your API key is a download of the feed but no attempts to download videos. Probably the app doesn't think a URL that doesn't end in .mp4 is a video. It seems a lot of apps are dumb like that. Let the developer know...

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@interpol: I only see iTunes pulling the feed itself with your API key not requesting any video.

thomblweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#398  Edited By thomblweed

@edgework: I tried deleting and re adding the Premium Video feed at http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/feed/hd/10/ . Feed added with no issues but still only getting the error videos when downloading.

Also strangely, I can still download the premium audio podcasts, such the Bombcast, with no issues. I am also unable to download any videos with another client on my PC, MediaMonkey.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thomblweed: There are still no requests coming in with your API key. Are you sure you have provided your correct API key? Can you PM me the exact feed URL you're using?

wiII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgework said:

@wiii: I only see one request for you and this video doesn't exist.

/2016/04/01/vf_giantbomb_bestof_95_600.mp4?api_key=**YOURKEY**

That may be in the feed from a time when our video publishing was jacked up.

Only one request? I've downloaded a bunch of stuff today (like I listed above, hyper light drifter, bloodborne, kerbal, starlight and more all download fine) just those two (paragon and best of) are having issues and in both the mobile and high quality feeds. Its working good enough for me now (new videos are downloading fine). Was trying to help trouble shoot by posting this strange issue with those files.