A game you were exicited for, only to be disappointed

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 28

I was pretty excited about Ace Attorney Investigations before it came out and was very disappointed when I finally got my hands on it. To a lesser extent I was disappointed by Solatorobo when it was finally released in the United States by Xseed. There is a lot to like about the game but it was really over hyped by people who had imported it.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Everything from the last 5 years at least.

katimanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think I overhype all games. I can't think of an instance that I like a game more after playing than I do when I am building it up in my head.

This leads me constantly to the question of whether or not I even like games.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

Final Fantasy 13 :(
GTA:IV

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#155  Edited By tourgen

Hitman Absolution

It was alright but I was disappointed in some of the core mechanics and level designs. Looks really good though.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

StarWars The Old Republic.

God DAMN I loved KOTOR 1 & 2, and Bioware games, and StarWars in general... So even though it was an MMO I had such high hopes that this was just gonna be MMO gameplay with Bioware quality story... And I suppose that is exactly what it was, But boy howdy was I disappointed.

lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

@itwongo: Agreed on Spore. It came out right when I was wrapping up college and I bought it for myself as a graduation gift. I PREORDERED the f**king thing. So disappointed.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Nidhogg and The Banner Saga come to mind, though I did still like them well enough.

Also.. Mass Effect 3.

ultra bummed about that game.

That said, I was blown away by the multiplayer and put hundreds of hours into it. Soooo there ya go.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Shocking lack of DMC2 here. After how magical DMC was, I was super hype for this game. It is the only time I have ever bought a game and immediately wanted my money back. Luckily GameStop was still taking opened games are returns for full value at that time.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The most recent one for me was Watch Dogs.

Discoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Empire: Total War. I was really excited for this game and that style of strategy. Broken game. Even after several patches its in a worse state than where it started.

Civilization 5: Streamlined in too many ways, not that fun to play. Still play Civ4 and love it.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@discoman said:

Empire: Total War. I was really excited for this game and that style of strategy. Broken game. Even after several patches its in a worse state than where it started.

Civilization 5: Streamlined in too many ways, not that fun to play. Still play Civ4 and love it.

All the Total War games are broken as fuuuuck. It's frustrating, because I let myself dream that it'll be better next time; it isn't.

I love Civilization 5, as far as presentation. It looks beautiful and they crammed so much into such a refined interface. But I do feel that they skimped on a lot. They needed an entire new expansion just to account for religion and culture wins, which were a deep part of the previous iteration. I was really discouraged, early on, because of two things. The first is that it felt like the only way to defend yourself and win was to build the toughest army and be an expansionist militarist prick. Second, was that Ghandi was a bigger expansionist militarist prick than ever before. Oh, and third -- it felt like the AI was just flat out broken when it came to diplomacy.

I'm going to by the upcoming game this year -- but I'm not sure it fulfills my interests. I really want a Civilization VI that goes back to what makes it good and fixes the broken things. I don't care if they charge me $100 for it.

doerr007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd have to say Halo:Combat Evolved

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86: Stick with it a little more. I went in exactly as you did and wasn't exactly thrilled with my experience even to now. That said: I grew to quite like it despite it's weaknesses and (against my expectation) I found most of my enjoyment coming from the REALLY cool combat system.

Once you push the mechanics a bit you see the insane flexibility in combat and I really enjoyed being challenged by the game once I had a grasp of things. I was initially pretty let down but I got A LOT of value out of the mechanical aspects and ended up getting the platinum simply by virtue of taking on new objectives regarding the combat.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Recently it was Sniper Elite 3. I loved the V2. But I couldn't get into this new one. It felt different. And I didn't enjoy anything about it. There was not enough sniper action and too much regular FPS type action. At least in the first few missions, which is all I played.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

@bluefish:

Eventually I'll finish it. But I need more than the mechanics I think and I find everything about the writing, characters, and atmosphere bland.

User_SB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The new Star Trek game looked really promising. Then it was disappointing.

theanticitizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly don't know. Maybe I'm just naive or have a different outlook on gaming but there are very few games I actively dislike and I'm rarely ever let down by a game I'm hyped for. I think the closest for me is the ending of Mass Effect 3. Other than that I loved the game and I can't think of another game I was excited for and didn't enjoy. But as I said, it's rare for me to NOT enjoy a game

anden4300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fable 3 - It was just plain bad

Child Of Light . I don't really know what got me hooked on the game at first, but i was so excited and when it came out it got so frustratingly boring after just a couple of hours.

Ni No Kuni : It just wasn't what i was expecting.. it needed a little more Studio Ghibli and a little less JRPG but yeah, that's probably just me

Assassins Creed 3 - Or maybe not, in my opinion the best AC game was AC2, since then with brotherhood & revelations it just went downhill. but those two i liked, just don't favor them in front of the second game.. AC3 felt really long and the story was weak + an uninteresting main character&environment.

Uncharted 3 - I mean seriously.. it was not good at all. pretty, but could never compete against the first two.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Assassin's Creed 3. Wow, what a piece of crap.

Beyond Two Souls. Loved Heavy Rain but this game was lame and the non-linear storytelling was pointless

Watch Dogs. Boring and soul-less

Infamous Second Son. Not a bad game but it could have been much, MUCH better. Especially after how awesome Infamous 2 was.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - I could have wrote a better ending to this game but ultimately it was the end of LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC.

Blue Dragon - I desperately wanted a game to play on my 360 when it came out but I just never could get into this.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - The last Zelda game I've played and the only Zelda game I have played and never finished. I might go back and play it when I get a Wii-U but we'll see. NOt that it was bad but when compared to Windwaker it just doesn't hold its own.

Ōkami - Tried to play this on PS2 and couldn't really get into it. Maybe it was Zelda fatigue but don't think I ever made it to the first real dungeon.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Mortal Kombat Armageddon: My goodness, back in high school I had a few months where this game was all I could think about. The idea of having EVERY MK character in the same game was unbelievable. Then I got it. Create a Fatality is awful, the arcade endings are almost all awful, and why did they half ass those things? So they could work on a shitty Shaolin Monks style adventure mode. Ugh. It wasn't the worst game, by any means. But it came up so short.

Halo 3: This one's my fault. I played Halo 2's campaign at a relatives house twice and had a good time. Thought I'd feel the same about 3. All I ended up being able to think is that 40 bucks is too much to spend on Halo. At least it is when you're not the type to play PVP.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

Mercenaries 2: World in Flames.

ShapeOfDespair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Such a bummer after I put so much time into FFT.

Icecreamjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watchdogs. Dear god that was dull.

Marduke1913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Marduke1913

FFXIII, take your hands off my free roam abilities you damn dirty developers

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Jade Empire, I guess. I beat the end boss of that on the hardest difficulty without him ever hitting me. Not a very fun game to get through, although the Darth Vader bad guy wasn't too bad.

dvdwalker8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Brute Force is probably the biggest disappointment for me. Trailers and premise were so cool and then the game was blah. I beat it and traded it in as fast as I could.

metalhammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anyone mentioned Alan Wake yet? My god that was a let-down for me.

Jertje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Jertje

Spore. What a trainwreck. I must've watched the 1-hour gameplay rundown by Will Wright ten times, and then they release this watered down, buggy game with broken gameplay. It broke my heart. :(

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Ill just stick to what im currently playing and say far Cry 3. I can understand why it seems to be a favorite for a lot of people but even playing it on the hardest difficulty presents zero challenge which seems to raise positive reaction from press and casual players(see also titanfall). Its a beautiful world and its fun but I can only play it briefly as it just is boring. And as for the whole 'race' card that was thrown around, i have no idea what the hell anyone is talking about. Its a game, shoot stuff have fun.

jdubintexas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By jdubintexas

Quake 4 has to be at the top of the list for me. Just about every Star Trek game ever released. And on the MMO front, SW:TOR.

What a painful subject to bring up, @monopolized! Ruin my Friday why don't you...

Wraithtek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

I think I'll use the same answer I give whenever a question like this comes up:

Spore. And, to a lesser extent, SimCity (2013). At least with SimCity, I knew some of its faults going in. And some of the major issues with the game have been fixed or improved somewhat. And if nothing else, it is still a very pretty, if limited, game. Spore just felt so empty and repetitive. Sure, you could design some unique creatures, but you ended up playing though the same boring stages, with only slight variations in gameplay each time. I've played videogames before; none of these stages were new or interesting to me. And it really didn't play very smoothly on my system at the time. I put the game aside not long after release and never picked it back up again. All the talk of procedural generation and user creation got me hyped on the game super-early, back during one of those Will Wright GDC presentations, but the game just wasn't fun.

juanvaldes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By juanvaldes

MOO3

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@me3639 said:

Ill just stick to what im currently playing and say far Cry 3. I can understand why it seems to be a favorite for a lot of people but even playing it on the hardest difficulty presents zero challenge which seems to raise positive reaction from press and casual players(see also titanfall). Its a beautiful world and its fun but I can only play it briefly as it just is boring. And as for the whole 'race' card that was thrown around, i have no idea what the hell anyone is talking about. Its a game, shoot stuff have fun.

That's probably because the 'race' card being thrown around was in regards to the upcoming Far Cry 4's box art, not Far Cry 3.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By Solh0und

Brink and Saints Row IV are two that definitely come to mind.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@me3639 said:

That's probably because the 'race' card being thrown around was in regards to the upcoming Far Cry 4's box art, not Far Cry 3.

No, people were definitely upset at Far Cry 3. You're the rich white dude who comes in, learns the foreigners' folksy mystical powers, eventually becomes the best at it, and saves all the hopeless natives. Knee-jerk complaints about Far Cry 4 (warranted or not, we'll know in a few months) came from the poor handling of race in Far Cry 3.

rand0mZer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watch_Dogs

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#189  Edited By me3639

@bwheeeler:

Seriously help me out, i have over 30 hours in the game(+played all the MP mission twice) and never once had a feeling i was some rich (oh no! white) guy saving the less fortunate. Someone enlighten me please as the gaming community seems to know all and are the shining light everyone should follow.

Hell, i cant even write that without laughing.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I don't know if "excited" is the right word, but Drakengard 3 left me feeling real disappointed.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In addition to my previous post, I could mention Midtown Madness 2 being the earliest example of being really disappointed with a game. The first one was so crazy impressive at the time with it's open city to race around and NPC cars filling the streets, that I played for hours and hours, despite never really liking driving games that much. Then when the sequel came, I naturally grabbed myself a copy the moment it was possible.

...and man, wasting a bunch of hard-earned money on that as a youngster really bummed me out. I remember it was the lack of music (or then it was some really terrible music, can't remember anymore) being the first thing that made it seem somehow hollow. Then there was a bunch of other issues and such that just left me cold for one reason or another. I remember trying to convince myself that I'm having a really good time with it, but soon enough I just abandoned the whole game. A real big bummer since I adored the first one so much.

Cagliostro88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon Age 2

Went so far to do the stupid facebook collective unlock thingy-promotion and buy the "collector" edition. I held Bioware as my favourite developer until that point...luckily only two months later came out The Witcher 2

xPolyMorphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Titanfall. It's pretty poopy.

Rotnac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Fable 2 - As someone who spent hours upon hours with the first Fable, it did not live up to my expectations. While it had some neat additions, it also provided a far more dumbed down experience that made it more of an action-adventure and far less of an RPG. I still played a shit ton of it to get the most out of my money spent on the collector edition. As a bonus I'll include Fable Pub Games since it was part of the package and also underwhelming.

2. WWE Wrestlemania 21 - As a wrestling fan with an Xbox, I never got the same kind of love PS2 owners got. WWF Raw 2 was the best thing going for the Xbox wrestling games at the time and WM21 was promised to be better in every way. It'll even have a proper story mode they said! Well, it did have a story mode and it did look pretty. Other then that, the game had garbage A.I., a ton of bugs, and possibly one of the longest loading times on the Xbox. The CAW mode was also a huge disappointment.

3. Doom 3: BFG Edition - I love Doom. I can't get enough Doom. Doom 1 & 2 provided some of the best childhood experiences on a PC. I also loved the shit out of Doom 3 for the original Xbox; a far more inferior version to it's PC counterpart. I even loved Doom 64. So, it's a no brainer that a Doom fan such as myself would blindly pick up a copy of this BFG Edition for the 360. Holy shit, steaks were made! Not only did I spend full price for this game. I got only half of what was advertised. It claimed to include DOOM 1 and 2 in the package. This is true if you didn't already own the XBLA versions of these games. Not only that but if you installed the disk it wouldn't let you run either classic Dooms from the game menu despite it just launching separate executables anyway! As for Doom 3 itself, not only did the changes of being able to run with a gun AND flashlight simultaneously kill any sort of tension and fun the original version had, the flashlight didn't even fucking cast any shadows at the very least. I still haven't finished the Expansion or started the exclusive levels for the BFG edition.

4. Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The first Deus Ex is probably my all time favourite game ever; a game I'll play from start to finish at least once a year or every two years. DX:HR is also a well made game. It is a game that does its best to be faithful to the franchise it's named after. Now, while I can definitely say it gets a lot right and that I also enjoyed my time playing it and being immersed in the world hacking and reading stuff. It was still quite disappointing in the end. Basically, the ending is a complete cop-out and that bummed me out. No matter how you approached the levels, it all funneled down the same end-game. Where the first DX game and even Invisible War gave you a choice to commit to. Human Revolution just gave the illusion of choice.

5. Rage - The racing stuff was pretty shallow and dumb. Not sure if it was because I was expecting a crazier and prettier Fallout type of world but with id Tech or how incredibly underwhelming and unfinished the ending felt.

6. Vanilla launch version of Diablo 3 - Incredibly stupid story mode with antagonists on the same level of a Scooby Do episode or Disney movie. Also discovering that only 4 people could be in the same instance at a time was a huge bummer considering Diablo 2 let you have 8 people in a game at one time. I've grown to accept 4 player coop and Reaper of Souls has done it's best to address a lot of the stupidity in the main game's story.

I could go on but, man... not gonna lie. Seeing this lengthy wall of my disappointment kinda bums me out. lol

GeneralBison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Sacred 3, feel like I really got burnt on that one =_=

mynthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daikatana. And after that I learned my lesson. So thanks Romero, you've saved me a lot of money in the long run.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rotnac said:
  1. Fable 2 - As someone who spent hours upon hours with the first Fable, it did not live up to my expectations. While it had some neat additions, it also provided a far more dumbed down experience that made it more of an action-adventure and far less of an RPG. I still played a shit ton of it to get the most out of my money spent on the collector edition. As a bonus I'll include Fable Pub Games since it was part of the package and also underwhelming.

These are always interesting to read simply because of how different people can be.

For me, Fable 2 is easily my favorite Fable game (to the point of beating it multiple times as well as the expansion things), with 3 being alright but not amazing. I don't know why, but Fable 1 just lost me somewhere around...the prison? I did eventually go back and finish it, though I can only vaguely remember what happened between the prison and the ending. I do remember choosing not to be a jerk and getting a pimpin' sword (Avo's Tear according to a quick Google search).

Your explanation makes sense though, I could definitely think of how someone could feel like that.

As for disappointment, Ace Combat: Assault Horizon sort of fits for me. I do enjoy the game but there are a fair bit of things that I don't like compared to AC6. The on-rails dogfighting thing is neat (but fuck those cruise missile ones because how the hell) but it feels like most of the essential enemies (red TGT guys) require you going into that mode since they just pop flares or do insane dodges away from missiles. Granted, they do run the rails past some pretty scenes. They also took away resupply (Return Lines or Airstrips) which is annoying, partly because the Apache runs out of heavy ammo really damn fast, and I just liked landing in the middle of a battle. It was intense.

The biggest thing is that the PC version has this weird bug for me, where all mid-mission cutscenes are like 10+ seconds out of sync with the audio, with the cutscene almost always ending before the dialogue so it cuts off. I need to read the subtitles super fast to know what was said. I also can't seem to find the magic words to slap into a Google search, which makes me thing nobody else on this damned Internet has the same problem. Everything runs just fine from what I can tell, but even messing with graphical options didn't help.

Still, I do like the game, but it doesn't have the same spark that captured me with AC6 and never let go.

However, real disappointment would be Spore, and more specifically, the Space stage. I thought the other stages were fine, if nothing too special (I never really followed the game so I never got super hyped), and the space bit was tolerable but...yeah, overall disappointing. I had my fun but I never really went back apart from some mod attempts which never got very far.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinusoidal said:

@me3639 said:

No, people were definitely upset at Far Cry 3. You're the rich white dude who comes in, learns the foreigners' folksy mystical powers, eventually becomes the best at it, and saves all the hopeless natives. Knee-jerk complaints about Far Cry 4 (warranted or not, we'll know in a few months) came from the poor handling of race in Far Cry 3.

Amongst all the 'controversy' surrounding video games these days, I guess I completely missed that...

Avatar image for generic_username
generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Here's one you're not going to see anywhere else: I was really hyped for Baten Kaitos for the Gamecube before it came out. Wound up hating it.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By landon

Saints Row 3

Prototype

inFamous: Second Son