Game of the Generation Preliminaries: Assassin's Creed II vs. Brotherhood

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Edited By mracoon

Poll Game of the Generation Preliminaries: Assassin's Creed II vs. Brotherhood (376 votes)

Assassin's Creed II 52%
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood 48%

Main thread here.

As part of the Giant Bomb Community Game of the Generation bracket we're holding preliminary head-to-heads to decide which entry from a franchise gets to represent their series in the main bracket. First off we have the battle between the second Assassin's Creed game and it's sequel. Which of Ezio Auditore's outings will reign supreme? Will it be Assassin's Creed II, which finally delivered on the potential of the original and had a batshit insane ending? Or will it be Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, which refined the mechanics of its predecessor and put you in charge of a team of assassin's to use at your disposal? Well it's up to you decide! I'll close this thread at 6pm GMT/10am PST Wednesday so you have until then to cast your votes.

• 
SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

My vote is towards Brotherhood. I feel it grabbed the best from Assassin's Creed II and expanded it out even more.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

That ending in II. Can't beat that stuff.

"HOLY SHIT SHE'S TALKING TO ME"

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By bigjeffrey

Assassins Creed 2

brotherhood is also fantastic but AC2 is just fucking amazing, it fixed the shit that was AC1.

It also introduced Ezio, one of the best characters this generation.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By emfromthesea

It's the Uncharted 1 -> 2 vs Uncharted 2 -> 3 thing, in my opinion.

I think Brotherhood is the better game, but Assassin's Creed 2 was the bigger step forward.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Ac2 is easily one of thebest games this generation.

but id still have to give it to brotherhood to be the game to represent that series, the feeling of empowerment is excellent,

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mikey87144

Brotherhood is better but there is no Brotherhood without the giant leap that was 2. It was the introduction of Ezio, that crazy ending, the crazy reveal from that dude that was also going through his past lives and the fucking variety in the gameplay. Brotherhood just built on that now great foundation.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I vote Brotherhood. Sending in your Assassin's was just too fun.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#8 FinalDasa  Moderator

I got really into AC2, even collecting all those feathers, but Brotherhood was where the franchise came into its own. You really felt like you were changing the world in Brotherhood with your own assassin guild.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

These are the only two AC games that I played and I didn't like either of them. I guess I liked AC2 more. In Brotherhood they managed to make Rome feel like a small, unimportant, slum of a town while Florence and Venice seemed like booming economic centres of great importance.

Ind1gnation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My vote goes to Brotherhood, I think AC2 definitely had the element of surprise after a very mediocre first game but I think Brotherhood is just the better game

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By icicle7x3

2 was a major step forward for the franchise, but I enjoyed my time with Brotherhood way more so that gets my vote. Multiplayer was a lot of fun as well.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I gotta vote for Brotherhood. It improves on an already exceptional game. But the Carnival stuff in II was a high point in the series for sure.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Brotherhood is probably the better game, but playing AC2 for the first time was a pretty special experience for me. I think I'll have to go with 2.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

Brotherhood improved upon II in every single way gameplay wise and provided a compelling storyline for both inside the Animus and Desmond's story.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This poll bums me out. If only Ubi hadn't fucked AC up.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

II wowed me way more when I first played it compared to brotherhood (I actually even disliked the slow start into brotherhood where they took away basic abilities like double blade kills for no good reason). But brotherhood is still the overall better game, seeing how it built upon the great foundation of II and added the guild stuff, made the economy matter etc.

Willza92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Willza92

Brotherhood is probably the better game, but playing AC2 for the first time was a pretty special experience for me. I think I'll have to go with 2.

Could not have said it better myself. I remember watching Ryans video review of AC2 and being blown away at just how, ALIVE, the game looked. Ordered it and got it the next day. Brotherhood is better in every way, except for the way it shows us Ezios origin and that takes it.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Brotherhood is the better game.

jclane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can you fist fight the pope in Brotherhood? I THOUGHT NOT!

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Brotherhood is a better game in every way than 2, but I don't think you can go wrong here.

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I vote Brotherhood but I wouldn't fault anyone for going with AC2. Both are great games and solid representatives for the generation. This is a good poll.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MezZa

Technically Brotherhood is likely the better game, but 2 felt better and the storyline and events did more for me. I love the origin/revenge story of Ezio taking out the people who wronged him one by one.So I'll go with 2.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By chiablo

I think Assasin's Creed 2 is what revived the series from the very disappointing first game. Brotherhood is a more refined game and better overall, but the leap from 1 to 2 was much more important to the series as a whole when compared to the leap from 2 to Brotherhood.

I think we can all agree that the story in every Assasin's Creed game is abysmal and can't be used to score one game higher than another.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I like 2, Brotherhood and Revelations almost equally, 2 was the most fun and I think it had the better story of the three. I'd probably even put Revelations ahead of Brotherhood, it capped off 1 and 2 perfectly and had some of the best action moments in the entire series.

buneroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Commanding other assassins to stab a guy for your is super fucking awesome, but ACII is a classic. Going through Ezio's life and seeing him slowly get older makes it feel epic and it fixed so much shit that was wrong with the og creed. One of my favorite games of all time. Maybe not in the top ten, but it's somewhere close.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

As someone who abhors AC II, I can't understand how anyone could pick that over Brotherhood, which is easily the pinnacle of that series

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Brotherhood's one of my favorite games of the generation, full stop, not even just within the AC franchise. It's great!

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@theht said:

That ending in II. Can't beat that stuff.

"HOLY SHIT SHE'S TALKING TO ME"

YES.

2nd best ending to any game this gen behind Red Dead Redemption. The glyphs were also incredible.

AC II also over Brotherhood because it was the first. Brotherhood was just a refinement, which knocks it down a couple pegs. It's like saying Call of Duty 4 isn't the best CoD this gen because you'd probably rather play the later ones with all the refinements and additions. But CoD 4 was definitely the best because it started this gangster shit. If you are ranking the games this way that definitely counts for a lot.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Man, the vote is tight. Didn't realise it would be this close. Personally, I prefer Brotherhood. ACII does have it beat on the ending but apart from that Brotherhood is better in most departments. I mean you can ride a horse in cities, what else do you want.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always felt like 2 was the better experience, even if Brotherhood was the better game. I enjoyed seeing Ezio's story from the beginning, and the Desmond part of the story was, IMO, at its peak in AC2. The Subject 16 stuff gave me chills, and Brotherhood's follow-up on those didn't do it for me. And that ending? Fantastic.

Brotherhood was a fun time, the added stuff made the gameplay more streamlined, but ultimately Brotherhood is just iterating on its predecessor. I vote for Assassin's Creed 2.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the both of them, but I think 2 sagged a little in the middle, while Brotherhood was just brilliant all the way through. The multiplayer component also gives Brotherhood a significant advantage.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pressing a button and having a bunch of assassin's jump out bushes and doorways makes me smile every damn time, but I just don't think Brotherhood hit the same highs that II did. I love both games, but ACII is so fucking incredible.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

While I enjoyed AC1 for its setting and gameplay, it generally sucked at everything else. AC2 on the other hand was incredible and was one of the best games that year. It fixed pretty much all the issues of the first game and then some. Ezio is a defining character of this generation and rightfully so. He's full of charisma and a joy to play as. Brotherhood continued to take what AC2 started and was even better still with the addition of the guild. When it comes down to it though, while Brotherhood may be the better game in a lot of ways, AC2 gets my vote. It had a much larger impact for me plus I enjoyed the location and story just a bit more.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Brotherhood, but I ACII just impressed me *so much*. Especially after wanting to like Assassin's Creed so much but just feeling like it was a chore. ACII is absolutely fantastic.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The ending in ACII is too good. And for whatever mechanics and polish that were improved in Brotherhood, II just had a more cohesive whole, and also came first so has that on it's side - which I think does matter.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I want to see the results but can't vote because i haven't played either. Life is not fair.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both are great, but I gave Brotherhood a slight edge. But, yeah, that ending in 2.

Leonshade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Leonshade

AC2 is the more memorable game. Brotherhood improved on it, but I don't look back on it as fondly as I do with 2.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me its

AC2>AC4=Brotherhood>AC>Revelations>AC3

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#40  Edited By bacongames

For what it's worth I actually think Brotherhood is the lesser game of the two so I went with ACII. While I loved the Assassins button and the nice tweaks to the mechanics, I thought a lot of the mission stuff in AC:B were a bit tedious, at least enough that I remember them as such. That and I found myself getting a bit bogged down in the economy of the game when I probably shouldn't have. Although by far the best missions in the game in my experience was technically DLC I "bought" with Uplay points, which was the Da Vinci Disappearance. By comparison I have such fond memories of ACII and in retrospect find it genius they saved Venice for last given the pace of the game.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Brotherhood might be the better game, but 2 is the more important/influential game so I'm going with that.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By crithon

Brotherhood has a better set up for a villain that you want to see fall. It's tighter and all of the surprises feel well desirved and more exciting to play.

At some point I want to replay AC2 with the Revelation's graphics engine. Like that first time, stabbing someone and seeing the blood pool up back of their clothing, that's just amazing texture work.

Damn, I love this series.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By NTM

I think AC2 and Brotherhood are the best; Revelations is close to those, the original AC was good, with some great and even superb aspects to it, but not great overall to me, and then three was mediocre. Hm, as for AC2 or Brotherhood, I think overall, Brotherhood is slightly better because it takes what two did, and goes a bit further and better in a few aspects. I really like the Ezio trilogy in general though. There were some weird transitions in the story cutscenes at a few points in Brotherhood, but that's all I can really think of when it comes to docking it anything compared to two.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus: Assassin's Creed 2 is winning by about ten points.

Avatar image for royce_mccutcheon
Royce_McCutcheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Royce_McCutcheon

Brotherhood has the Assassin recruitment, but 2 has Venice. Tough call.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Brotherhood easily.

1. Ezio stops being a flippant playboy.
  2. You get your own assassin posy.
  3. Brotherhood introduced a truly new and interesting MP mode. That in a generation of big budget releases doing the same rote shit was amazingly refreshing. And it's still the best MP in the series.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Brotherhood way more because I felt that ACII dragged on towards the last third of the story. I just could not care about any of the characters or why I'm supposed to be killing dudes.

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Vanick

There both great but I enjoyed AC2 more than Brotherhood.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Sinusoidal

Both still sadly in my backlog. Assassin's Creed 1 - which I first played last year - turned me off the series so badly, I haven't made it to 2 yet. Which is a shame. I hear it's much, much better.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Never really got into the franchise, but I played them all eventually. My vote goes to Brotherhood. The whole Assassin's guild spiel was neat.