Gaming moments that made you tear up/cry

• 143 results
Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The only times I've been close to crying from a game has either been from joy or frustration. It's sorta strange really, I cry from movies and tv shows quite a bit, but never really been moved that way by a game. But ye, good/bad luck in games can really turn my mood around.

SARRISS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@likeassur: I agree, neir in the second and third play through was brutal. There were a few bosses I just could bring myself to kill(at first), I was just broken.

ike7779

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Yes, a lot of good recommendations in this thread. The only thing I can add is Dark Souls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBJDBtn2MbQ

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#54  Edited By sgtsphynx  Moderator

You know, I felt kinda sad once I had finished all the missions in Sleepy Dogs, not enough to cry but still sad and not because I was done with the game. But here was a character that had gone through so much shit, made friends who were brutally murdered or maimed, his police contacts were gone, and he wasn't left with anything that really meant anything other than potentially a clean start. A little shitty when you think about it.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The ending of Asura's Wrath. Played through it like 4 times but it gets me every time.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@legion_ said:

I've cried two times in my life. None of them involved games.

You are too cool for school, man! Shame not crying at videogames isn't what this thread is about.

hippocrit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marsden's resolution in Red Dead almost had me tearing up in frustration at the unfairness of it.

The paragon resolution of the genophage quests in Mass Effect 3 was powerful. Throwback ME1 music for the heart wrencher.

My son is 7- almost Clementine's age in Walking Dead season 1. I would randomly cry for a week after I finished that. It still bothers me now.

BBOYS2231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Snake he had a hard life.... he needs some time to rest" shit gets me EVERY time.

Same hear man. I think that's why MGS has had such a profound effect on the people who played it. I'm sure most of us played it at an early age, and we grew up with the characters in the series (especially Snake). It's tough not to get emotional when you see him struggling towards the end of the series.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#59  Edited By TheHT

@ike7779: I'll admit I totally had a moment in Ash Lake.

I can't believe I forgot about this, but Maiden Astraea's boss music and dialogue all really got to me. There I was ready to collect another soul and all of the sudden the music gets all "intense critical moment of no turning back" and she starts talkin some real talk that gets you questioning the whole thing you're up to.

It's even crazier later on to read people theorizing that the reason she's called the most dangerous demon in the game is because she makes you doubt your quest to destroy the demons. D:

I'm not much into that idea, but it's an intriguing thought. I like thinking of it as a character so devoted to goodness and helping others that, seeing the absolute horror of the thrown away of the Valley of Defilement, she fell into despair, forsaking her God and attaining the power of a demon to try and sooth the downtrodden. A sympathetic gesture, though brash, cynical, and bleak.

But being one possessing the soul of a demon, she cannot be left alone to console the depraved and wretched. Any crimes done against those who ended up in the Valley does not justify allowing the Old One to wreak havoc across the world.

Hells bells, I should go play Demon's Souls again. This thread is making me like video games again, and I thought I already did.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

The moment I realized that I payed full price for Driv3r.

Also, the entire ending sequence for MGS3 is pretty powerful.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Legion_

@meatball: I think it's relevant. Games don't make me cry. At least not yet.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only game to make me genuinely start tearing up was a Visual Novel I played a few years back. I can't think of anything else really. The game I'm talking about is Little Busters and at the end you learn that ALL of your friends are pretty much dead from a car crash, and as they lay dying down the cliff they fell from, they (magically) created a sort of alternate space where you repeat the same 3~ month period over and over, trying to prepare you for a world where they're all dead. Their final Good-byes to you are heartbreaking, since they don't want to leave you either.

Edit: TO THE MOON! Someone mentioned it earlier, and yes! At the end when Everything's Alright starts playing, I was tearing up so much. The fact that the doctor girl erased River from the guy's memory was fucking HEARTBREAKING. I tried so hard to prevent it, but I still failed in the end. I know it was your job and all, but god DAMN it was the morally wrong thing to do.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

It takes something extremely well put together to get me to actually have a tear roll down my face, which is a little shameful, makes me feel less of a human, a little emotionally detached. I've played many, many story driven and emotionally draining games in my life, and the only one to ever manage to get me to shed a tear (one tear) is the entire ending sequence to MGS3, right up to the final salute, when you hold in the R1 button and Snakes vision is all watery. A Way To Fall is a great credits song, too.

Karmosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The endings to persona 2 IS (haven't finished EP), 3, 4 and Labrys story in arena all made me a little teary-eyed.

To the moon, when you realize what all the origami-bunnies that River made were about.

The ending to Legend of heroes: trails in the sky, left me a bit hollow inside too. Such a nice surprise of a game that was.

Katawa Shoujo digged up a ton of feels, especially during Rins story.

The death of Jenny and that ending in The darkness. Holy shit, kinda wish that it would've ended there even though I thought the sequel was alright.

I am a quite emotional person, so it dosen't take that much to tear me up, but these are some of those I remember more clearly, that stuck to me more closely.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#65  Edited By Rowr

The moment at the end of this video. Still brings a tear to my eye.

Loading Video...

Enuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

International Super Star Soccer on N64

I was a little kid and my best friend would come over to my place and play against me. He beat me every fucking time with scores like 7:3. One day the match was almost over and the score was 3:3. I was so nervous because I thought that my time had finally come! Nope, he scores in the last seconds.

I got up and threw my controller against the wall (I still use that one btw, works perfectly). Tears running down my face and I cried out of anger. In everyday live I was and am a totally calm person. But on that day I lost it man...

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The end of Metal Gear Solid 3 is the big one for me.

Second is when you find Dom's wife in Gears of War 2 - I was in a fairly fragile state at the time and decided to play some goddamn video games and just kill some dudes... And then they throw in something that is actually pretty sad.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've only cried once during a game, but I have had tears in my eyes because of a few.

• The ending of Red Dead Redemption had me angry and tearing up at the end.
  • MGS4 when Otacon told sunny that Snake wouldn't be around anymore thinking that he killed himself. I think that was the only time I've cried-cried because of a game
  • The ending of MGS3 because.. Fuck.... How could that not be sad?
  • The ending of season one of the Walking Dead. That whole season was super rough, but that last episode.....
  • I didn't tear up at the end of Gone Home, but it was kind of a weird bittersweet thing. I just smiled and then shut the game off.
emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I don't think I've ever shed tears over a video game, but I have come close plenty of times. Mostly to sequences already mentioned. Red Dead Redemption, MGS3, The Walking Dead, Brothers, The Last of Us. All of them were pretty effective.

One I haven't seen mentioned is the part in Uncharted 3 where you think Sully has been killed. Or I did, at least. He's easily one of the best characters in that series, and I was absolutely devastated when I thought he'd be shot.

JeanLucAwesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By JeanLucAwesome

Plenty of games... I'm a softy.

Persona 3 and 4 most definitely, more than once throughout the games in fact. I was also sad when it was over, simply because it was over. I wanted to chill with the characters more. >_>;

No Caption Provided

Final Fantasy: Crisis Core. Omg that ending... my emotions!

Mass Effect 3; Mordin Solus' death, NO, I didn't shoot him.. he ended up sacrificing himself because of something I did. The game's ending also played with my emotions but that emotion was anger. lol

Probably more, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

NoneSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By NoneSun

The end of every Metal Gear Solid game and occasionally at other points in them too.

There's always this amazing, epic sense at the end of them, what with the music and plot revelations, and of course they have their sad moments too. Plus when I get really invested in a story it's not difficult to make me cry, I guess just because I'm sad it's all over if I've really enjoyed it all.

Oh, and that bit in Final Fantasy VII where that person dies.

Oh, oh and the ending of Bioshock Infinite.

Katawa Shoujo.On the routes of Emi, Hanako and Lily (the only routes I've done).

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Shindig

I've never cried because of a game. The Last of Us. End of Fall. That struck a chord.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing that springs to mind is Grim Fandango. I found the last moments with the train going through the gate and disappearing really moving and satisfying. I think it's mostly because all the character stuff in that game is top notch.

Also in Grim Fandango, I always found the bit where you reach the temple gate near the end (before going on a whistle-stop tour of the previous locations) really awe-inspiring. I think it's a combination of the fact that it's this really sombre moment of reflection after some pretty crazy stuff happens, the fact that I have a longstanding fascination with meso-american culture anyway, and the fact that the music is absolutely awesome:

Loading Video...

Rich666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I finally beat Dark Souls and "Nameless Song" played over the credits.

Dunchad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So many choices...wait a minute, I've answered this question before. 3 years ago. Oh, well - let's recap. And add a few things.

• Mass Effect 3: Death's of Mordin Solus and Thane
  • Final Fantasy X: The ending. Yuna trying to embrace Tidus, but falling through him. While "To Zanarkand" plays in the background.
  • Persona 4: One of the bad endings. When Nanako dies. Even if it's a good ending (ie. resurrection), the scene where she dies is heartbreaking.
  • Max Payne 2: Mona's death. I immediately played the game through again, on the hardest difficulty to get the happy ending - which is now canon, to me.
  • Final Fantasy VII: Yeah, that scene. What'd you think I was going to say?
  • Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea DLC's ending.
  • Bioshock 2: The ending.
  • The Last of Us: The beginning.
  • Katawa Shoujo: Pretty much all the endings. Especially Rin's.
  • Halo 4: Cortana's death.

Probably a lot more that I'm forgetting...yeah, I cry easy. So sue me. I actually own To the Moon, but I'm really apprehensive about playing it, since it would probably destroy me.

Avatar image for creepyunclebrad
CreepyUncleBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beyond Good and Evil when you return to the lighthouse to find is destroyed and everyone gone. Jade just sits down with the dog and cries. Really powerful stuff.

vucubcaquix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By vucubcaquix

Celes's Leap of Faith in Final Fantasy VI. That was a hard one to take when you're 13.

For my money, this is the single most tragic scene in the entire Final Fantasy canon. Above Aeris, above Vivi.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Persona 4 in the Hospital when Nanako "dies" (in quotes because her fate changes depending on how you handle Namatame afterwards, which is the biggest load of shit)

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By goonage

The ending of Portal 2. After playing two portal games, seeing that field made me tear up.

triplestan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By triplestan

One of the most recent ones I can think of is Episode 2 of Kentucky Route Zero (which I think is the most underrated game of last/this year), when you're trying to get through the forest and this song is playing:

Loading Video...

The art, soundtrack and narrative all came together in what I found was one of the most emotionally evocative moments I've ever experienced in a game.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Most of mine has been mentioned already. Red Dead Redemption, Bioshock (2 and Infinite), Walking Dead Season 1, Last of Us.
But one that hasn't been mentioned much, is Bastion. What a beautiful game that is.
I also have one moment from Psychonauts. When you find the hidden vault of memories of Milla. Transformed that game from a fun, zany platformer to a dark and melancholy game for me. It also made it into one of my all time favorite games.
Oh, and Dark Souls. I think it might be one of the saddest games I know.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Hmm. Metal Gear Solid 3. Journey. Various VNs. I know there is a handful more. But it either takes a special game or a special time for that effect. I doubt MGS3 would be nearly as emotional at this age.

As for VN's, I'm a lot easier to affect with writing. I've been know to cry over a good sad novel. A movie or a game has too many tricks, it's to easy to distance yourself. But a book sucks you in. And a Visual Novel is the obvious middleground where a game can have the same affect on me.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No mention of Alys from Phantasy Star 4? You're all heartless monsters that were born without souls.

Roger778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Roger778

Mass Effect 3, with the extended cut installed: The first time I played the game with the extended cut, I tried the Synthesis ending, and boy, it was a powerful way to end the game. I had tears in my eyes, as I watched the final cutscene, and the slideshow.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Definitely Walking Dead

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#86  Edited By Steadying

Persona 2: Innocent Sin ending
Persona 3 ending
FF X ending
FF XIII ending
FF VII: Crisis Core ending

There have been a few more, but those are the major ones.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By FrostyRyan

Haven't actually cried at this moment but I'd like to throw in the moment you arrive on Tallon IV in Metroid Prime, get out of your ship, and experience one of the most atmospheric places in video game history for the first time. Music certainly helped too.

EDIT: Jesus christ, please spoiler tag your stuff, guys.

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@meatball said:
@legion_ said:

I've cried two times in my life. None of them involved games.

You are too cool for school, man! Shame not crying at videogames isn't what this thread is about.

Huh? Getting emotional to the point of crying over games is something people can talk about nowadays, but damn you if you even dare to admit that doesnt happen to you?

We have truly come a long way. Congratulations.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Only one game has even come close, and that's Mass Effect 3. Mordin's death.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Catarrhal

It's interesting to note how very few of you mentioned Final Fantasy VII. Not so many years ago, that tended to be the only goddamn answer to this question. The fact that most o' the games mentioned in this thread have come out in the last four years proves that the Bioware doctors were really onto something with their nonstop emphasis on "emotional engagement."

Personally, despite having played many of the games mentioned above, the only time I actually cried was during Mass Effect 3, when FemShep joined Kolyat in prayer. Jennifer Hale is outta this world brilliant, and I pity the 86% of players who played the entire series like Brad Shoemaker did (i.e. "Boy Scout Shepard").

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@sarriss said:

The funeral in lost oddessy had my in a fragile state.

It's been so long since I played it that I don't remember a lot of specifics about the game, but I remember shedding a few tears at that part.

The others for me are mostly common offenders, like The Walking Dead and Mass Effect 3. I think the ending of The Walking Dead is the most I've ever teared up during anything. It was like a nonstop stream of tears.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never. Same reason that I can't get scared by games is the same reason I can't tear up. It's just all make-believe to me. I've been really into the story of some games, but never felt any sort of emotional connection to the characters. I'm kind of jealous. It would be awesome to be able to get that absorbed into a game's universe/story/characters. It just doesn't click for me. =/ Very interesting to read these, however.

*edit* I'm not trying to be Johnny Badass or anything. I can cry from books (back when I read fiction), movies, and even music. Games just don't do it for me for some reason. I am aware when there is something sad or disturbing in a game, but there's no connection to myself. Which is odd, because there should be more of a connection than from passive entertainment such as movies or books.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Literally none, and I'm struggling to even think of a single game where I even got close, honestly.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never. Same reason that I can't get scared by games is the same reason I can't tear up. It's just all make-believe to me. I've been really into the story of some games, but never felt any sort of emotional connection to the characters. I'm kind of jealous. It would be awesome to be able to get that absorbed into a game's universe/story/characters. It just doesn't click for me. =/ Very interesting to read these, however.

*edit* I'm not trying to be Johnny Badass or anything. I can cry from books (back when I read fiction), movies, and even music. Games just don't do it for me for some reason. I am aware when there is something sad or disturbing in a game, but there's no connection to myself. Which is odd, because there should be more of a connection than from passive entertainment such as movies or books.

I feel sorry for you. I'm not being rude or condescending. I mean, I genuinely feel sorry for you. :(

Ever played Persona 3 and 4? Best character investment/attachment/ whatever in a video game ever.

Filben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Filben

There were many emotional moments in many games I've played so far. Let's just take TWD season 1 or The Last of Us. But there was one scene or moment I find exceptional: Bioshock Infinite Bural at Sea, Episode 2. The english voice acting of Elizabeth's actress was outstanding and did transport so much emotion into this very scene (if you've played it you'll probably know what moments I refer to). Although I didn't burst into tears nor even a single tear was droped it was very sad and gripping in a way I've never encountered before in a game.

For me who got always a specific distance to media, no matter what kind of, it was very moving. I'm "omni-aware" of the artificialness of games, movies and books that I cannot dive in too deeply or that deep that others may experience. That's the reason why I rarely laugh over comedy movies or humorous games. I smile or gasp repeatedly and do find things very funny but moments of pure laughing are VERY rare when I'm alone. Same goes for sadness.

So there is no game or moment that actually makes me cry but I see many people stating (e.g. on YouTube) they're crying over things (also non-game related things). I don't know it's a linguistic approach (since english is not my native language) and they are NOT literally crying and if it's just "a saying" or if they really do. It's hard for me to imagine people actually and literally crying.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By JesusHammer

Persona 3: It was like 20 hours of pure depression and then a kick in the gut afterwords. It didn't help that Memories of You plays at the end. Persona 4 made me just feel really sad because I wouldn't get to see those characters, but that was quickly rectified with multiple playthroughs and all the fanservice for it. I hate replaying P3 sometimes because I know what's gonna happen and it gets me every single time.

The Walking Dead: Both Season 1 and Season 2 got me somehow. I really wasn't expecting it for Season 2, but all the Kenny stuff near the end really got me.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Big Boss had a hard life too.

Kira Kira: Jesus Christ my girlfriend just died in a fire because she was about to become a prostitute because her drunken dad burned down the house and she just had to save her microphone we gave her because it was that important to her. Then your character goes into years long depression and even hallucinates her a few times. Wasn't this supposed to be a happy game about playing in a band? What happened to the happy times playing with my band?

Fate/stay night: Screw you Type-Moon, you jerks.

I've teared up at a lot more than this. FFX, Kingdom Hearts, and many more. I just thought the ones that really made me cry were the important ones. All those Iisted had me bawling.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Certain parts of Gone Home, but that was mostly because I'd just gotten out of a long relationship and some of the plot details hit uncomfortably close to home.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

Red Dead Redemption.

I think it's the worst game I've played in the entire previous generation. People kept telling me it would get good and I just needed to stick it out for 6 more hours. I was literally in tears.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 ZolRoyce  Online

No game has really been able to make me cry yet, I'm not sure why, there are certainly games that are on par, if not surpassing major movies these days, but still for some reason only movies have been able to make me tear up.

However I did get strong emotional impacts from games, The Last of Us had me shouting at the screen a few times, in frantic like "Nonononono!" Or "Yesyesyesyesyes!" to what a character was doing. And the Walking Dead more then once left with with my mouth open and going "Oh wow..." and the Walking Dead also made me feel sad just not to tears.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started getting a little misty during the epilogue in the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut.