Gerstmann VS. Hatsune Miku Community

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@scrawnto said:

@zeforgotten said:

@mister_v said:

They are talking about the Quick look, and I'm pretty sure that second question is a joke.

Pretty sure you're right about the second question being a joke.

isn't that "babylonian" guy old intern Nick/New guy working with Sessler?

Also Hatsune Freaku is possibly the best thing ever said in many years.

Yep, that's Nick. He also does a podcast with former interns Ben and Kessler called gameburglars.

Huh, might be worth a listen, thanks!

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@vanek said:

@ramone: I was going to write a big long post but since I'm sure it wouldn't do me any good I won't.

I'll simplify it down to asking if any of the comments Jeff makes about the UK during any of the "soccer" Quick Looks ever bother you? Basically, I don't mind them playing a game badly but I do mind some of the comments made as they play.

Nope.

1. I know that Jeff is not 100% serious about everything he says in those Quick Looks.

2. I understand that people can have differing opinions to me.

3. The UK and football are not immune from criticism.

Protip: Substitute "The UK and football" with "my interests". Problem solved.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@oldenglishc said:

If people want to be angry about something, be angry about the game. Sega used to do interesting, creative rhythm games like PaRappa, Samba de Amigo, and Space Channel 5. Now they give us this soulless robo-Bieber.

Wait, PaRappa the Rapper was Sega?

Man I didn't even know that

i dont think so, i believe parappa was a sony joint

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Giant Bomb is lazy and refuses to learn about LeBron James and culture surrounding him.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

@zeforgotten said:

@oldenglishc said:

If people want to be angry about something, be angry about the game. Sega used to do interesting, creative rhythm games like PaRappa, Samba de Amigo, and Space Channel 5. Now they give us this soulless robo-Bieber.

It's where we played it, I guess, on the Playstation but other than that I don't know. It was so long ago a Sega logo could've popped up somewhere I guess?
It just seems weird to me that it would be a Sega joint. I could just look it up I guess but meh. Game was good, that's really all that matters

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Akyho
@hailinel said:

@animasta: I did. It's the last one I watched before the joke wore out. And at this point, I'm more frustrated by those that leap to Jeff's defense, as though they feel a need to defend him from someone that didn't like a particular selection of videos he made.

Jeff is an adult, guys. If he honestly felt the need to respond to anything I as a single user had to say, he'd do it himself.

I like how you think we go "Hey guys! Put down our opinions and fight for Jeff! It does not matter if you hate the QL or love it we must defend Jeff! FOR JEFF!!" when our opinion we do not agree with your opinion.

I am an anime fan a bit of a Hatsune Miku fan, who love's DBZ warts and all, I have bought every DBZ game for the PS2 and 360 and enjoyed 90% of them (Burst Limit 1 can fuck off) I am Scottish which means I am British and while I am not a Football fan (Soccer) I have watched Football and live with a country devoted to Football ,also played Fifa and Pro Evo (the latest QL for Fifa is cringe worthy because of their misguidedness. Still funny) I played and love Dwarf Fortress and will play with the ASCII characters for Roguelikes.

I am by definition if you go with ALL THE SHIT. Which if you look to my list THATS ALOT OF SHIT that Jeff talks about stuff I love, I should be angry with Jeff eternally and if Jeff ever met me would automatically tell me to fuck off and call me a freak. When neither is true because Jeff jokes with a hint of truth and I don't take it to seriously, I would advise you to not take any of it to heart.

Hell my best friends give me shit for nearly everything I just outlined already. If I was going to get pissed about misinformed slander towards the stuff I would love Id be on anime forums bitching alone. Which I did that for High school and there is no place for my outdated anime views today which is Dominion Tank police is the ultimate anime and so whats 80s for anime.

One clear thing you missed completely from the QL. Vinny was mining Brad for info as he has a little more of an understanding of Japanese stuff (he is the anime expert) and is really trying to learn, while Brad is realy trying to learn himself and educate Vinny to his best f ability. While Jeff is half into the game playing it and at minimum trying to figure out the game mechanics then judge them for it. The second half was them just fucking around with funny as hell results.

I typed all of this while listening to the rest of that Vocaloid Concert and the first song is "secret police" so if you have seen the QL you'll already know it. Skip to 13 mins in for start.

Loading Video...

Sputty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LEAVE MIKU ALONE!

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By MideonNViscera

@mrfluke said:

@zeforgotten said:

@oldenglishc said:

It's where we played it, I guess, on the Playstation but other than that I don't know. It was so long ago a Sega logo could've popped up somewhere I guess?

It just seems weird to me that it would be a Sega joint. I could just look it up I guess but meh. Game was good, that's really all that matters

Parappa was Sony. He was in that All-Stars game.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By zeforgotten

@mideonnviscera said:

@zeforgotten said:

@mrfluke said:

@zeforgotten said:

@oldenglishc said:

Oh duh, right, of course.
Totally forgot about that game

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By mrfluke

@mrfluke said:

@zeforgotten said:

@oldenglishc said:

Game was good, that's really all that matters

word

andrew2696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By andrew2696

@akyho:

Personally, as a fan of the Gorillaz, I think people would find it weird because of the vocals themselves are being sung by a program. The Gorillaz are voiced by people, just performed by a virtual band. Though you say they have live people but aren't all the songs still played by the Vocaloid program? Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Personally it's not my thing but I can get it, whatever. I'm just saying other people would find that part weird.

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man, I love it when fanboys get angry.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

@zeforgotten said:

@mrfluke said:

@zeforgotten said:

@oldenglishc said:

word

Maybe they will bust it out for next gen if control latency is not a problem. Which would be funny "here is the PS4! to show of its power! PARAPPA THE RAPPA! Still 2D, crudely drawn and badly animated!"

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akyho said:

@mrfluke said:

@zeforgotten said:

@mrfluke said:

@zeforgotten said:

@oldenglishc said:

word

Maybe they will bust it out for next gen if control latency is not a problem. Which would be funny "here is the PS4! to show of its power! PARAPPA THE RAPPA! Still 2D, crudely drawn and badly animated!"

"Sound quality is still also the same but here's the first track! HAVE FUN!"
And I will reply with a "Pfft, fuck that, why would I get that now if it's still just the same?"
And then you hear

"Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind.
If you wanna test me, I'm sure you'll find.
The things I'll teach ya is sure to beat ya.
But nevertheless you'll get a lesson from the teacher......"

And instantly I'm like "take all my damn money! And the next paycheck as well"

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Soulless crap. Worse than DJs.

Zalrus9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Zalrus9

Oh man, I love it when fanboys get angry.

I love it when the internet gets angry. Oh, that internet! The way people shout in impotent rage in it is so amusing!

In all seriousness, it's not like Jeff is a stranger to controversy on the internet (8.8 much?). I just don't know why people don't calm the fuck down and let people have opinions. It's not like Jeff is personally attacking anybody who likes Miku. I myself have always found japanese anime girls really creepy (but love me some giant robots), so It's not quite my cup of tea, but hey! That's my opinion. People are allowed to have them, I think!

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akyho said:

@mrfluke said:

@zeforgotten said:

@mrfluke said:

@zeforgotten said:

@oldenglishc said:

word

"Sound quality is still also the same but here's the first track! HAVE FUN!"

And I will reply with a "Pfft, fuck that, why would I get that now if it's still just the same?"

And then you hear

"Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind.

If you wanna test me, I'm sure you'll find.

The things I'll teach ya is sure to beat ya.

But nevertheless you'll get a lesson from the teacher......"

And instantly I'm like "take all my damn money! And the next paycheck as well"

word

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#69  Edited By donutfever

That Quick Look was one of the best ones this year.

Also, if somebody wanted to destroy the Giant Bomb community, all they would have to do is make a thread about sexist undertones in Hatsune Miku.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh I KNOW Jeff did not just start talkin' mess about mai waifu!

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donutfever: I'm borrowing this idea. Beautiful trolling material duder!

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By flasaltine

There are only two people here defending Hatsune Miku: Hailinel and Demoskinos. One with anime plastered all over their profile and the other with Hatsune Miku right in the avatar. What can you expect?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

Also, if somebody wanted to destroy the Giant Bomb community, all they would have to do is make a thread about sexist undertones in Hatsune Miku.

Loading Video...

SEXISM.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Akyho

@andrew2696 said:

@akyho:

Personally, as a fan of the Gorillaz, I think people would find it weird because of the vocals themselves are being sung by a program. The Gorillaz are voiced by people, just performed by a virtual band. Though you say they have live people but aren't all the songs still played by the Vocaloid program? Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Personally it's not my thing but I can get it, whatever. I'm just saying other people would find that part weird.

The same people who say "who would go see a virtual band" follow up with "you are there to see someone play. What stops them from just throwing up the video and just leaving the stage, with the owners rubbing their hands together and saying those stupid fools are so gullible!".

While it does not stop them, they choose to not do so. Vocaloids when the big stages are just the voices, everything else has a live stage band. I cannot vouch they do not use machines in it how ever if a guitar player can play it they will have one there same with everything. Some songs are synth and some are just impossible (inhumanly made) and that goes with the vocals. Why they are synthetic in somes cases. Secret police song being a prime example.

While yes Gorillaz is more "live" when they did it, it sort of becomes how people feel about it. Whats the difference between a Synth voice and visual with a live band onstage. In place of Virtual representations of a live band hiding in the dark. Gorrilaz is the closest apparition today of a virtual band while not being.

However cast your mind to decades ago. To a little song called "Sugar, Honey Honey" by the Archies. Which was a band made up by Archie in the Archie cartoon. It became a hit and Archies performed an entire album. Josse and the pussy cats did this and many other saturday morning cartoons did it with variations. While these were still live people doing live music it was all behind a virtual fictional front.

Besides we all know its a matter of time before the "courtesy" of having a live band will go away, just when? Will holographic technology lead the way and leave us with an experience of a show like a Sharon Apple concert from Macross Plus?

Loading Video...

Which in this 1995 anime, they explore a virtual Idol. With how could people like it, how can you put emotion into a computer, and people wishing to "kidnap" her, with a dash of "if you make it so real and human....then is it not a sentient being? and what will that sentient being do?" turning to the age old AI discussion.

With the story of two test pilot ex friends trying to out do each other win mech planes. Think anime space Top Gun which makes for an awesome anime.

To go into details of a vocaloid. The music is original compose by random people using the Sega Vocaloid pack, which is a voice (buy voices separately) then a whole range of sound samples you can manipulate (same with the voice but the program is pretty smart about procedurally making the singing) and so people craft a song out of it.

These songs are bounced around forums and boards picking up momentum. Fans make up videos for them and remixes. Sega keeps an ear to the ground and will snatch up the ones that gain popularity. Now when you use the pack you're entering an agreement that anything produced with the pack is property of SEGA. I don't think this means the music per se, meaning you can demo a song with it and make a live band perform it with zero resources from the pack and it will be Kosher.

I would only presume that the creator of the song gets to take a cut or at least paid for the new song if they want to use it for shows and games. The arrangement file are tagged by the owner meaning you always know who originally composed the song and these will flash up during fully official production by Sega.

So there is a lot to a vocaloid.

What about synth music? I love Thomas Dolby and Devo, alot of the sounds they make are not even instruments, played by a Keyboard programmed to play a sample. These people can make a song with anything and then have to back trace in "How can I play this live and not stilt people out of a show....".

Queen has actually done that, my father saw queen live in the 70s. Bohemian Rhapsody was big and so the played it at the show.....well they put up a projection of the music video and left the stage. Why? That first half of that thing is impossible to play live and so they left the stage and came back when it kicked into just being music played by instruments.

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just wanted to say this thread is great. Ace plus. I love everything happening here.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By dethfish

Oh man, I want to be a Hatsune Freaku

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@donutfever said:

Loading Video...

SEXISM.

Loading Video...

I've done my part

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@akyho said:

Think anime space Top Gun...

Maybe I have been wrong about anime for all these years.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayzilla said:

@akyho said:

Maybe be a little more careful around the danger zone this time around though.
Don't just take anything right into the danger zone

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Akyho

@jayzilla: I know that a lot of anime have the general quirks of it being an anime. There are a few anime that you do not need to be enveloped into Japanese culture and the way Anime does things to "get".

Macross plus is a very western movie done in anime and very much is like Top gun.

Manga Entertainment has put it up on Youtube free to watch. Give the first ep of four a go and see how you take to it.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=ELWdpx5fRwVcE

This was done in 1995 and mirrors a little of the Testing of two fighter jets for the US Airforce at the time. Those two planes were the YF 22 Raptor, and the YF23 Black Widow 2. Only one company and plane would be award government funding.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there actually more to this game than what they showed in the quick look? Either way, I think it's pretty dumb to come to Giant Bomb for in depth anime coverage, but I'm pretty sure they showed what the game was... It's not like they went in there, only showed the photoshoot stuff and claimed "oh my god it's just creepy Pokemon Snap with less track!"

Also, kinda who cares...

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mideonnviscera said:

@zeforgotten said:

@mrfluke said:

@zeforgotten said:

@oldenglishc said:

Sony, Sega, Colecovision, Tiger, Vic Tokai. It's all the same shit.

Avatar image for librorumprohibitorum
LibrorumProhibitorum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the people who use vocaloids as a tool for making music, it's why NicoNico and the Japanese music industry is so amazing. I don't give a shit if they hate anything I like. They can like or hate whatever they want to, they don't speak for anyone but themselves. If you're getting emotionally hurt by what they're saying I suggest you get over it quick because people are going to tell you a fuck ton of things you don't like throughout life.

Same goes for people who think people who enjoy vocaloids are freaks, perverts or whatever the hell else, you guys need to get the hell over yourselves, too.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

STEP UP YOUR GAME, GIANT BOMB. RESEARCH THE LORE.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayzilla said:

@akyho said:

Speaking of Danger Zone someone did a great recreation of Top gun with Macross plus but youtube nuked it and Id have to link people to download the video. Who the would do that?

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haha wtf this is thread? Giantbomb crew review/quick look/talk about whatever the fuck games they want. I thought that was the philosophy behind this site in the first place. They don't give a shit about sports/anime/jrpg/most rts games, that's giantbomb guys. While I don't really understand why they sometimes quicklook games they could not give less shit about, I always enjoy more dummmmmmmmmb content.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: What an incredible coming-of-age story. Do you take your panties off and become an adult, or keep them on and stay a child?

This is the kind of 'diversity in storytelling' Patrick's been talking about, right?

benderunit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Meh, Jeff not showing any respect to anything he doesn't understand or is interested in is nothing new. It shows when he couldn't do an upskirt shot, I'd have applauded the devs for not allowing it (although I wish there was a more elegant solution.) I remember in Valkyria Chronicles, you could look at the models, but the female ones you couldn't scroll below the belly.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Quick Look was incredibly entertaining, that's really all that matters to me at the end of the day. I come to Giant Bomb to relax. If it was a total un-interesting mess, that might be another matter, but I hardly think it was offensive.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By zeforgotten

@akyho said:

@zeforgotten said:

@jayzilla said:

@akyho said:

Speaking of Danger Zone someone did a great recreation of Top gun with Macross plus but youtube nuked it and Id have to link people to download the video. Who the would do that?

I think I found one on Daily Motion ... that it? because it's kinda cool

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who cares, the QL was hilarious. Maybe one of the best QLs this year. This seems to me like the same things all the soccer fans say after a Fifa QL. Get a sense of humor, I'm actually one of those guys who buy Fifa every..well every third year or so cause I love soccer but the sports QLs are still hilarious to me cause I don't feel like I need to "defend" soccer.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Akyho

@zeforgotten said:

@akyho said:

@zeforgotten said:

@jayzilla said:

@akyho said:

I think I found one on Daily Motion ... that it? because it's kinda cool

That is exactly it dude. Thanks for finding it! I checked daily motion but just wrong key words it seems. I told you That video and macross plus is awesome. The plane taking off at the start is a FMV from a Macross game on ps1 otherwise everything else is Macross plus.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And so it was during the dawn of The First Age of the Loid that Over-Queen Hatsune Miku gave birth to the heavens and the realms of man, and bestowed upon all the gift of life through her song.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeforgotten said:

@mideonnviscera said:

@zeforgotten said:

@mrfluke said:

@zeforgotten said:

@oldenglishc said:

Sony, Sega, Colecovision, Tiger, Vic Tokai. It's all the same shit.

lolll this made me laugh more than it should

http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Big Jeffrey continues to make threads that deliver the goods. This is great.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Turambar

@jayzilla said:

@akyho said:

Loading Video...

Finding a version of this AMV that has not been taken down due to copy right has become increasingly difficult in the last half a decade.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@korwin said:

@lackingsaint said:

And so it was during the dawn of The First Age of the Loid that Over-Queen Hatsune Miku gave birth to the heavens and the realms of man, and bestowed upon all the gift of life through her song.

And then you did her makeup and bought her a new shelf, right?

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I AM UPSET THAT MY GAME ABOUT UNDERAGE CARTOON GIRLS IN SEXUALLY PROVOCATIVE POP MUSIC VIDEOS WASN'T GIVEN THE RESPECT IT SO RIGHTFULLY DESERVES.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#99  Edited By Trilogy

I thought that the quick look in question was fucking hilarious, and the fact that people get so upset over it makes it that much more enjoyable. If there were ever a perfect group of internet nerds to troll, it would have to be the animu kids.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By abendlaender

Man, I usually avoid Youtube comments but....wow. This is a goldmine.

Your sex maniacs idiots

Based on the "reviewer's" lack of familiarity with Hatsune Miku and Vocaloid, and their obvious dislike for the music, one could be forgiven for thinking the only reason they bought the game was the hope of sneaking a glimpse of some animated panties. My recommendation would be that they stick to material they know and like, thereby saving themselves some money and frustration, and sparing the rest of us their negative bias.