I haven't bought any new games all year. What are the essentials?

Comrade_Snips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Comrade_Snips

So, I usually don't get around to getting new games until I hear the GOTY deliberations. I may buy one or two here or there, but now that I'm back in school I have less time than usual and I just haven't gotten anything new this year.

I'm getting antsy though. I'd like to get something, but I'm not sure what to go with. What are the 2019 essentials so far? I'm generally a fan of RPGs, and I like really tight shooters on the PC but not the consoles. Overall though, what am I gonna wish I'd played this year when I look back five years from now?

Supplemental question: How does Borderlands 3 hold up if you only play solo?

EDIT: Supplemental question 2: If somebody was excited about the upcoming Yakuza game entirely because they find Alex's Yakuza-mania endearing, where the heck is a good starting place for the other games? I probably only have time to play one before the new one comes out next year.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Resident Evil 2 Remake

For the last question - Yakuza 0, always.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've also not played anything that's been released this year, but I have heard very good things about The Outer Worlds from friends.

Comrade_Snips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be honest, it's tempting to plunk down the $60 for Outer Worlds just to be in the loop for GOTY, and because I love Fallout.

But I also kind of want to just spend $20 and play Yakuza 0.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Isn't Outer Worlds a game pass game?

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Control, I guess? I need to sit down and play this!

Comrade_Snips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By liquiddragon

@comrade_snips: wait what, you said you like tight shooters on PC so I assumed you had a PC....is Outer Worlds not on PC game pass?

totee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Control was my favorite of this year, for sure. Very much a “best on PC” situation, but I wouldn’t call it “tight”. Although I definitely enjoyed the shooty parts.

Comrade_Snips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jimmyoct87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on what sort of games you like, but for me I would say Sekiro and Resident Evil 2. As far as Yakuza games go I would say Yakuza 0 is a great jumping on point or if you want to get in on the ground floor of something, Judgement is also good.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Main Question: Control, Resident Evil 2 Remake

Supplemental Question 1: It's . . . fine. I found it to be almost a perfect bell curve. Really slow/bad to start, quite a lot of fun in the middle, and then it lasted way too long and wore out its welcome toward the end.

It might be a good podcast game, but if you like mindless but good feeling shooting I think Destiny honestly scratches that itch better, unless you are really a fan of Borderlands.

Supplemental Question 2: Yakuza 0. It's the first Yakuza game I've ever played and it was an experience to say the least.

Comrade_Snips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I signed up for the PC Game Pass for $1, and I'll give Outer Worlds a shot next week if my computer can run it. Might play Void Bastards or Gears 5 with it, too.

I want to try Control but I'm like 75% sure my computer would struggle with it, and it sounds like it doesn't run great on the regular PS4, either.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By doctordonkey
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses - best FE has ever been
  • RE2 Remake & DMC5 - Capcom really nailed it this year
  • Outer Worlds - unless something goes horribly wrong, it looks incredible, especially if you loved Fallout: New Vegas
  • Astral Chain - Platinum doing what it does best, but I'd play DMC5 first over this
  • Control - I'd wait for some performance patches and optimization, but keep this in mind during sales this year
  • Links Awakening - Really hard sell at full price, but it is an incredible remake of one of the best Zelda games

I played a ton more games than what I just listed this year, these are the ones that really stood out to me. If I had to choose one, I'd be torn between FE: Three Houses and DMC5. Sounds like you'd enjoy Three Houses more if you prefer RPG's to Action.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The Goose Game will be like nothing you've ever played

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be honest, it's tempting to plunk down the $60 for Outer Worlds just to be in the loop for GOTY, and because I love Fallout.

But I also kind of want to just spend $20 and play Yakuza 0.

While I am also intrigued by Outer Worlds, I really can't think of any one the GB staff who would champion this game enough (even if it is good) for it to be included in a GOTY discussion.

jeremyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

It's called Yakuza 0 because there are zero reasons to not play it. As an alternative, Judgment is also really fun, has its own story away from Yakuza, and will probably get a few shout-outs from Alex at GOTY time.

ltcolumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comrade_snips: “ How does Borderlands 3 hold up if you only play solo?”

I played this one solo exclusively after playing the first two. I think I’m enjoying it better solo. There is a lot to find on each map/planet, and the problem with coop is both partners rarely want to play at the same speed. Also, short answer is: it’s more Borderlands, but it’s the best Borderlands.

I can’t imagine it will be heavily discussed during GOTY, though.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Sekiro is my favorite game this year by a mile, but Fire Emblem, Outer Wilds, and Control are all must plays as well.

Avatar image for genericbrotagonist
GenericBrotagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like it's easy to forget about Cadence of Hyrule, but it's great and worth playing.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By Captain_Insano

Control

Sekiro

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyones hit on a lot of the majors but to the slightly more obscure side Indivisible is beautiful and fun as hell and everyone should check it out.

MrSlapHappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I played through the Borderlands 3 story solo. Its fun. The guns shoot good, the enemies react and take cover. There are enough funny jokes to pad out the bits where the humor misses and weirdly they do alright on more of the character stuff than I expected.

I'll put in another vote for Fire Emblem as well. Its worth devoting the time to see each character start as paper thin archetypes and then get fleshed out into interesting characters over the course of the game.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Primary Question: Control is best overall. I think The Division 2 is this year's best loot shooter. I see why people are putting Sekiro and RE2, but I have not played those.

Supplemental question:
Damed if I know, I will never play a Randy Pitchford game -never.

Supplemental Question 2: Yakuza 0. It is a fantastic Yakuza game and I think just a tone of fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-6373f6c34cbfb
deactivated-6373f6c34cbfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sekiro is my GOTY. I wonder if it could be on giant bomb's goty given how so light this year has been.

BoboBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By BoboBones

My Top 3 are -

RE2 Remake.

DMC V

Fire Emblem

Most People would probably pick -

Sekiro

Outer Worlds

Outer Wilds

Void Bastards

DMC V is the best Character Action game I’ve ever played, and will definitely be my GOTY.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Devil May Cry 5 is possibly the best game of it's type ever made. So much variety in combat options, tight controls and just a great look overall.

Resident Evil 2 Remake is absolutely fantastic in both modern and throwback contexts. It's in the running for my favorite RE. The design of the map, pacing and polish really makes it shine.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses is a great game in it's own right and sparked my interest in going back to beat a lot of the older games in the franchise. I'm also looking to do replays of it for different routes and to try goofy character builds. Super fun.

Sekiro has a really niche appeal to it. But if you enjoy the parry style gameplay and the kick you get out of having the perfect clutch defense, then it's incredibly enjoyable. It can be hard for sure, but the timings are sort of forgiving and even if you struggle with parry at first, you can get used to it.

I haven't held the controls during play of Outer Wilds. But that game is absolutely worth checking out. It's kind of a brain teaser mixed with exploration along the lines of the Witness. But less up its own ass. Very cool.

I'd definitely say those are the standouts of the year.

Pooch516

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Resident Evil 2 is great, I played it back at launch and just finished a second playthrough the other week. I was engaged in both of them, despite the actual differences being pretty small- it's just a fun, intense game to play.

Baba Is You is a really god game if you're into puzzles/logic games. I've come back to it on and off throughout the year. Tons of those great moments where something just clicks in your head after staring at a puzzle for so long and you feel like a genius.

Apex Legends- free Battle royale game from the Titanfall people. This got my group of friends playing online again after we kind of stopped once we got tired of Master Chief Collection years ago. They just added the first new map to the game, which seems pretty cool.

Tetris 99- Battle Royale Tetris!

I would also say to check out Bloodstained if you're a Castlevania/Metroid fan. I fell off hard since it was released with a ton of bugs, but I think they've fixed up the game a bit since. Definitely worth checking out.

I wish I had more time to play Outer Wilds! What I've played seems great, but it's been in just a few hour-long chunks.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By Tom_omb

Outer Wilds stands as my game of the year. No combat exploration, with an ever present sense of danger. Unique world designs that are mechanically compelling and full of surprises.

Control and Untitled Goose Game are pretty good too. Baba is You is very cool, but way to hard for me.

Looking forward to playing Outer Worlds and a few games coming next month. I'd like to get around to RE2 at some point too.

exitdose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Samurai Shodown 2019 is SNK's best since KOF XIII.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Fire Emblem and Control.

While not technically a new release Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition on the Switch is fantastic as well.

frustratedlnc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think RE2, FE, The Outer Worlds, Sekiro and Slay the Spire are some of the best games of this generation.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This might seem the most stock answer possible, but if you like tight shooters, that Modern Warfare is preeety good.

silversaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It really depends on your tastes, but I would definitely recommend these games:

Fire Emblem 3 Houses
Metro Exodus
Sekiro
RE2 Remake
Days Gone