Poorly reviewed games that you enjoyed- GO.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#201  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@joshwent said:

WTF?!? I had just assumed that games critics felt the same as me... that The Dig is right at the top of all of LucasArts' excellent feats of storytelling. immersion, and exploration. Man that's a great game. I can only imagine that this was when GameSpot was getting random reviews from uninformed freelancers and just posting them frantically with not a lot of oversight.

No The Dig is definitely a love it or hate it game I think. It's really a sharp departure from their other adventure games in tone (the review pretty much reads as someone who hated that, which I think is a lot of the complaints).

There are things I love about it but overall for me it's not on the level of the best LA adventure games (which is a high bar, to be fair). Hate reading that review though (just says "this is sterotypical"... how about elaborating?).

I didn't think the characters stood out anyways, or the plot, but the world and tone did. It really felt alienating and empty (which was appropriate).

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

• Dynasty Warriors games (doesn't count)
  • Fuse (I know the changed art style put people off but I really had fun with it)
  • Killzone Mercenary (Played it while traveling, good fun)
  • Dark Sector (The single player was alright)
  • Binary Domain
  • Shadows of the Damned
  • Lollipop Chainsaw
  • Killer is Dead
  • Spec Ops : The Line
  • Anarchy Reigns
  • Resident Evil Revelations (Some people give this game crap but I really loved it)
  • Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2

There are a lot more but that's all I can think of right now.

librariangmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 10

Haha, I completely agree. Gameplay/controls are garbage but the atmosphere is completely fantastic and genuinely creepy. The soundtrack is awesome too.

@librariangmr:Man, Rule of Rose. What a creepy-ass game. I ended up buying that on a whim from a Kmart since it was in a clearance bin (lucky for me, it seems to be a super-rare game now), and was not fully prepared for that experience. Everything except the part where you play it is pretty good, though.

DeepSpace9MM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I remember really liking the new Bionic Commando. I think Jeff was the only review that I read that liked the game. It wasn't perfect or anything, but I thought it was a lot of fun.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Binary Domain

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

jamesyfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I remember spending a lot of time with Bubsy 3D.

... I tried to get the most out of it. It was definitely a poor game but I persevered with it and got some enjoyment out of it. :| Somehow.

seamuspaxman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Guild 2

JesterArbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

haha, here is one that will blow some minds. Twisted Metal III. I loved the first two and at the time I was young and didn't understand how development of games work and that a different team worked on it. I really liked the changes to the gameplay and the soundtrack. I haven't played it really since so it probably doesn't hold up well.

spookytapes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Test Drive Unlimited 2.

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Ryse

Ghostbusters: The Video Game

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

theanticitizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By theanticitizen

Deadly Premonition, Spec Ops: The Line, there's plenty more but these are the ones that popped into my head first

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

I have plenty of fun with games that review poorly. Probably the most recent being Deadpool, I don't know why but I have liked what I have played so far.

Another one that immediately comes to mind is the first Two Worlds. For whatever reason I ended up getting hooked on that game and put somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 hours into it.

I also put a pretty large amount of hours into Defiance, which I thought was a ton of fun, but it does not seem to be reviewed very well.

firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#215  Edited By firecracker22

Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire was a game that I really loved. Granted, I haven't played it in over a decade. But, I still loved it when it came out. I was surprised at how much of a critical failure that game was.

More recently, Alpha Protocol is probably my most loved game that critics straight out butchered. I think the Giant Bomb review was probably the most positive review I'd seen of the game, and I still really love the game.

Spec Ops: The Line, X-Men Origins: Wolverine were also favorites of mine.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#216  Edited By Steadying

I'd like to say Catherine, but that game wasn't really reviewed poorly judging from Metacritic.

Nier I guess. That said, I enjoyed the story, but the gameplay was definitely bland. Sooo yeah.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remember Me, Catherine, Alpha Protocol, Kane and Lynch, Spec Ops: The Line.

PonchoPowerPhD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spec Ops: The Line

It was a dark, grim modern military shooter. I give it props for focusing on story in a genre where crazy, over-the-top setpieces are what the campaigns' are generally about.

PonchoPowerPhD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God Hand was also fantastic.

Avatar image for Unannounced_Fart
Omelet_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sniper V2. This got average/poor scores, but I logged almost 90 hours on Steam. I absolutely loved the multiplayer.

thebarrylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Suck it Xbox and GameCube, PS2 got the real killer exclusive.

No Caption Provided

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By ervonymous

Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes. I haven't liked any of the actual Dynasty Warriors games I've tried but the dumb Capcom ripoff struck a chord, slapping more distinctive special moves on every character made the combat just varied enough. Actually looking forward to the fourth one.

archer88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#223  Edited By archer88

Too Human.

Yes the story didn't wrap up nicely, but it was incredibly satisfying to rack up a 100+ combo rapidly sliding between baddies and feeling un-fuckin-stoppable. I also thought the rune/glyph system was pretty cool, where you needed to complete certain tasks or requirements while they were slotted. Picked it up for cheap not thinking much of it and could not believe how much fun it was. Silicon Knights still seems like a sleazy developer, but it's a shame that Too Human will only be remembered for contributing to their downfall.

Also, Kane and Lynch 2. Roller coaster single player and some unique sadly under populated multiplayer. Got a lot of shit for being short, and most people hate Kane and Lynch as characters, but I thought the dynamic was great in that game. "No. More. Deals."

tcsajax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@kishinfoulux: I wasn't a huge fan of the controls, but I really did like the world that they had built and wanted to see more. I thought the design aesthetic was really interesting.

amani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Anyone else want another Treasure style shooter? I know I sure do.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Wait, Spec Ops was poorly reviewed? All I can remember about that game from the time was "THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!".

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alone In The Dark (for 360)

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, Spec Ops was poorly reviewed? All I can remember about that game from the time was "THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!".

As far as the story goes, yes that was generally what was said about it, but just about everyone agreed that the gameplay went back and forth between mediocre and bad, so in that regard it was poorly reviewed.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#229  Edited By crithon

a lot of mom puzzle games.

Shadow of Rome is a game I enjoyed a lot, even knowing it's got crap stealth. It's serviceable but man that's an awesome Roman Gladiator game and it predated a lot of Dead Rising and Monster Hunter mechanics like eating and combat

SadPatrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shadowrun on the 360.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I enjoyed Ryse.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ITT: People think anything that scores under a 90 is "poorly reviewed".

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I really liked Arkham Origins, but I'm a sucker for anything Batman. I don't quite remember it being universally poorly reviewed, but it definitely had a sub par reception.