The Community Spotlight 2021.12.11

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

Edited By Marino  Staff
Metacritic using the final paragraph of Jeff's Halo Infinite review out of context is the funniest shit you will see all week.
Metacritic using the final paragraph of Jeff's Halo Infinite review out of context is the funniest shit you will see all week.

Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight. I, @zombiepie, am once again honored to be your host as we look back at the best community-created endeavors from the previous week. But, before we do that, we have a considerable amount of housekeeping worth addressing.

First, let's give a round of applause for Jeff's review of Halo Infinite! A lot of comments have been swirling if this will be the last review on the site, but only time will tell. If it is the final review a staff member publishes, reviews certainly ended in a bang.

The second big pieces of news is the Giant Bombathon which will be happening Monday, December 13th! The event will begin at 10 AM PT / Noon CT / 1PM ET / 6 PM UTC. Catch it on giantbomb.com/chat and expect some wonderful guest appearances throughout the event!

Speaking of the Giant Bombathon, a lot of users expressed frustration over the lack of advertising of the event on the proper Giant Bomb site. Apologies on this one. The promotional video, which you can watch below, somehow went up on YouTube but not on Giant Bomb. That said, Rorie is taking suggestions on how community members want livestreams and video content communicated to them or surfaced on the site. One of the proposals is to bring back a pinned thread on the forums similar to Vinny's video wrap-ups. If you have any suggestions, please, SHARE THEM!

Tweets

Videos

The Giant Bombathon Promo Video (By: Giant Bomb)

Remember, THE GIANT BOMBATHON IS COMING, THIS MONDAY DECEMBER 13! Here's the promo video Jess spent a considerable amount of time making to get all of you excited about this event!

Blogs

A Handful of Wizardry Successors (By: @valorianendymion)

Did any of you enter the raffle to get a Garfield-themed Xbox?
Did any of you enter the raffle to get a Garfield-themed Xbox?

For all of the classic CRPG fans out there, ValorianEndymion's latest blog on Giant Bomb is for you! This week they looked at all of the games keeping the spirit of the Wizardry series alive and well as the series continues to get "interesting" in Japan.

The Value Of Written Reviews In 2021 (And Beyond!) (By: @allthedinos)

ALLTheDinos read Jeff's Halo Infinite review and opened a dialogue on the site about the value of reviews in 2021 and forward. Read their thoughts and share your feelings using the link below!

I Started Out A Little Cool On Psychonauts 2. By The End I Was Certain I Had Just Played A Masterpiece. +

After 30 Hours Of Octopath Traveler I'm Thinking Of Giving Up Mostly Because Of The Excruciating Story (By: @bigsocrates)

Is this the best individual sequence or level in a 2021 release?
Is this the best individual sequence or level in a 2021 release?

Psychonauts 2 did not make a great first impression on bigsocrates, but as they explain, the game grew on them over time and they now consider it a "masterpiece." Additionally, bigsocrates ended up playing Octopath Traveler based on the recommendations of several people. Discover why the story is it for them even if they love the music and gameplay.

The Dredge of Seventeen: November +

Indie Game of the Week 249: Super Panda Adventures (By: @mento)

The modern state of the Wizardry franchise sure is a
The modern state of the Wizardry franchise sure is a "thing."

Moderator Mento continues to pick away on their video game backlog from 2017 and shares what they think of The Inner World: The Last Wind Monk, Tiny Echo, and Chaos;Child! Likewise, they also checked out Super Panda Adventures as part of their "Indie Game of the Week" series on the site! Read about this panda-based combat game!

Scarlet Nexus Is Anime Incarnate In A Progressively Anime World (By: @humanity)

Friend of the site, Humanity penned a blog talking about their experiences with Scarlet Nexus and why they consider it "anime incarnate" and an extension of the proliferation of anime culture.

What's the Greatest Video Game: Moving Out +

What's the Greatest Video Game: Streets of Rogue (By: @imunbeatable80)

Humanity's blog got me nostalgic for classic anime VHS covers.
Humanity's blog got me nostalgic for classic anime VHS covers.

imunbeatable80 has TWO episodes of their wonderful blog series in which they rank a smattering of games from best to worst. This week, they checked out the moving-themed Moving Out and the co-operative-minded Streets of Rogue.

Star Stuff: The Pleasant Surprises of Katamari Damacy (By: @gamer_152)

This week, moderator Gamer_152 is all about them balls. And by that I mean they wrote a blog about Katamari Damacy and the innate appeal of the game's bizarre aesthetics and wacky story.

Discussion Threads

Garfield Coming To Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl (By: @bigsocrates)

Do not feed your copy of All-Star Brawl lasagna.
Do not feed your copy of All-Star Brawl lasagna.

So... Garfield is coming to Nickelodeon All-Star Brawll! Will this get some of you to pick up or return to the game? How do you want Giant Bomb to cover this groundbreaking addition?

If You Could No Clip. What Would Yo Clip Be? (By: @sometingbanuble)

Here's a thread inspired by Danny's increased presence on the site: what's the weirdest or most obscure game you can think of that still deserves a NoClip documentary? Here's a top suggestion from the community: EA's Majestic

Favorite Doom Game? (Multi Choice Poll Is Active)(By: @reachmorrowind)

I would love to know more about the thought process behind this one.
I would love to know more about the thought process behind this one.

It has been a source of debate for a while now, but over on the forums you can vote in our multi-choice poll for your favorite Doom campaign! Do you enjoy the classics, or are the reboots more your fancy?

Moon Studios (Ori Developers For Xbox) Are Ditching Microsoft, So Future Games Can Be Multiplatform (By: @nameredacted)

Moon Studios recently revealed that they are moving forward from their strategic partnership with Microsoft to allow their games to be multi-platform. Share the games of theirs you most want to play elsewhere

Decade of My GOTYs (By: @colonel_pockets)

It's that time of the year, but to keep in the spirit of GOTY, here's a new thread on the site where users rank their last ten years worth of GOTYs from best to worst!

How Is The Year 2021's Gaming So Far? (By: @gtxforza)

Doom RPG is criminally underrated, and I will hear no arguments to the contrary.
Doom RPG is criminally underrated, and I will hear no arguments to the contrary.

Here's an interesting discussion thread others around the web have brought up: how do you assess 2021 in terms of games and gaming? Is it fair to call it a "weak year" given the circumstances?

Why Isn't There A Good Jo Jo Bizarre Adventure Video Game? (By: @topcyclist)

Here's a discussion topic for all of the anime fans on the internet and Giant Bomb: Why do you think there hasn't been a good Jo Jo Bizarre Adventure video game? JoJo’s unique abilities and setups seems ripe for a video game!

Lists

The Old And Retro Games I Finally Played In 2021 For The First Time (Mostly) (By: @williamflattener)

Someone put some real good games on their list! See if you can find out who it was!
Someone put some real good games on their list! See if you can find out who it was!

williamflattener used 2021 as an opportunity to strike a TON of games from their gaming backlog list! Check out some of the heavy-hitters they finally got around to playing.

Tekken Series Guest Characters Wishlist (By: @jessemb27)

jessemb27 is a simple person; they like Tekken games. As such, they created a list on the site annotating the guest characters they would enjoy seeing in the next game. Their John Wick suggestion is 100% on point.

GOTY 2021 (By: @dudewantshisrug)

dudewantshisrug isn't waiting until Christmas to make their 2021 GOTY list on Giant Bomb! So, here's their short list of all the games they enjoyed this year!

User Reviews

The Japanese published Wizardry games are... well, they are a whole different kettle of fish.
The Japanese published Wizardry games are... well, they are a whole different kettle of fish.

Wikis

Donkey Konga 3: Tabe-houdai! Haru Mogitate 50 Kyoku

What am I even looking at?
What am I even looking at?

Did you know Giant Bomb's wiki is where you can learn everything you can learn everything about Donkey Konga 3: Tabe-houdai! Haru Mogitate 50 Kyoku? Have no idea what Donkey Konga 3: Tabe-houdai! Haru Mogitate 50 Kyoku is? HERE'S THE LINK!

Wiki Page Of The Week Recommendations

Alright, I mentioned last week that the Wiki Page of the Week feature wasn't dead, but it needed recommendations from the community. If you can think of anything that is "worthy" of showcasing, send them to me however you can. Also, remember, self-promotion is ENCOURAGED! Also, the feature hasn't made a return yet not due to lack of caring. Things have been busy at the office and the hope is to get the feature back up and running soon-ish.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

That's an awesome spotlight!

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

:sting

OptimosPrimos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It’s Stang it’s Stang!

Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
alwaysbeclothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By alwaysbeclothing

Those trading cards are rad as hellllllllllllllll!

Also, for your consideration, animated Voidburger emotes for the chat. An informal poll in GBInfinite said they thought the top of the three was the "most readable"

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Genessee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

aahahahahaa that Metacritic blurb

Nes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Jeff's review is a goddamn masterpiece, and I want to believe that he did that ending just because Metacritic would put that up!

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Those trading cards are rad as hellllllllllllllll!

Also, for your consideration, animated Voidburger emotes for the chat. An informal poll in GBInfinite said they thought the top of the three was the "most readable"

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Holy shit. @voidburger