What could make you buy a PS4 pro or Xone Scorpio?

• 72 results
Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm pretty sure that you have asked yourself this question back when Microsoft have announced Scorpio or even before when we read about the leaks of both consoles.

When I thought about this question as a current user of the PlayStation 4 I thought that I could make the jump to the PlayStation 4 pro as long as it provide 60 frames per second and Full HD on current PlayStation 4 original video games while also providing stable performance on PlayStation 4 pro video games.

So yeah that means that I'm not planning on buying the PS4 pro anytime soon.

However I'll be watching!

aphal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1440p60 on all games, mouse and keyboard support.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I would need a 4K HDR OLED TV for me to buy a PS4 Pro.

My Xbox One collects dust already, so I would need that, and Microsoft would need games I'm interested in, for me to get a Scorpio.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

If I somehow found myself with a 4K TV, I'd buy one of those consoles without hesitation. I don't have any plans or pressing need to buy a new TV, so unless I was given one or were to win one that won't happen any time soon.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Short of my current PS4 breaking, nothing.

Right now I'm really not interested in either of the "new" consoles. 4K and HDR are nice, but not enough for me to justify buying a new console and a new TV (because who the heck already has one of those?).

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My current PS4 being redundant.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d5c454eb6aa
deactivated-63d5c454eb6aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing. I rarely turn on my PS4 as it is. I'll build a PC, if anything.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I posted this in another thread, but I'd buy a Pro if it had backward compatibility. (I never owned a PS3). At this point though, chances are I'll be looking for standard ps4 bundles during black friday.

ds9143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

xGryfter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xGryfter

I sold my PS4 (and XB1) back in May with the intention of buying a Pro this Christmas but I may hold off a bit and buy it when Zero Dawn drops. I have no plans of buying a Scorpio unless Microsoft kills the play anywhere feature but I'm hoping that doesn't happen and I can continue to play my favorite XB1/Scorpio games on my PC through the next generation of consoles.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By OurSin_360

Ps4 pro? Depends on how much i can get for my old ps4 and how easy it is to swap the hdd in the new one. Also 1080 60 even on a 4k tv if i choose so.

Scorpio? I hope 1080 60fps or better, and better performance on original games similar to the oneS. The price will make a difference as well, if it comes in at 400 thrn that is pretty decent(if it does what i suggest) and a uhd player.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I can't think of any combination of features that would be enough to get me to buy a console. Well, there is a combination of features that I'm looking for, but then it would just be a PC.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mirado

Nothing, sadly. Consoles were fun for a good many years, but now they just feel like underpowered, limited PCs. Nintendo is the only one doing anything different, but I'm not about to buy a system just for a handful of games.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By planetfunksquad

Persona 5 coming as a pack in with the pro a few months early. Other than that both consoles can get to fuck.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#17 ZombiePie  Staff

As the owner of an Xbox One I would consider purchasing a Scorpio if there was a solid exchange program in place.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I was given like $6000 to do with whatever I wanted and I had nothing else better to spend it on then yeah, I might buy a pro.

The PS4 I have is fine and if I were a graphics snob, I'd probably have/be saving for a PC anyway.

Scottjay01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Scottjay01

For both console's they would have to add in what was taken out and a lil more.

For PS4 Pro, built inRegion FreeBackwards Compatibility For PS1 and PS2 titles, The ability to store my Music on the hd and use it for custom in game soundtracks, Being able to Store my Videos and Photos to the hd, External NTFS HD Support! Audio CD, Blu-Ray and DVD Playback (I support things I like but you need to have boxes that play that stuff with out keeping old consoles hooked up)

For Xbox Scorpio it'd be Built in Xbox 360 Backwards Compatibility that way my huge catalog of disc's work of the bat.

Save Custom soundtracks to the hd like you could on the 360, Playlist feature and all. Change the Dashboard to something similar to the 360's before the 2013 update! I want a simple 4 or 5 sections like when the 360 first launched, it was so convenient. Turn off rumble on the controller (I cannot believe this is not a thing some games even now dont have the option to turn it off)

See if both launched like this, I would buy them both out the gate.

m16mojo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it was 1996 again, so I could replace the Jaguar my parents bought me...

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mirado: Consoles have always felt to me as if they are a plug and play gaming PCs. Although they are limited in comparison to the PC, they free you from the headache of the OS, drivers and video games compatibility issues.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Redhotchilimist

A colossal price drop and horrible-looking games on my PS4.

Honestly, just last week my PS4 stopped working properly because of some bug with Rest Mode, and now I'm stuck talking with support(not helping so far)while it thinks my PSN account belongs to somebody else. Maybe nothing is an appropriate answer.

xGryfter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For both console's they would have to add in what was taken out and a lil more.

For PS4 Pro, built inRegion FreeBackwards Compatibility For PS1 and PS2 titles, The ability to store my Music on the hd and use it for custom in game soundtracks, Being able to Store my Videos and Photos to the hd, External NTFS HD Support! Audio CD, Blu-Ray and DVD Playback (I support things I like but you need to have boxes that play that stuff with out keeping old consoles hooked up)

For Xbox Scorpio it'd be Built in Xbox 360 Backwards Compatibility that way my huge catalog of disc's work of the bat.

Save Custom soundtracks to the hd like you could on the 360, Playlist feature and all. Change the Dashboard to something similar to the 360's before the 2013 update! I want a simple 4 or 5 sections like when the 360 first launched, it was so convenient. Turn off rumble on the controller (I cannot believe this is not a thing some games even now dont have the option to turn it off)

See if both launched like this, I would buy them both out the gate.

While the dashboard still sucks I'm pretty sure the XB1 and by extension Scorpio already has custom playlists or they will very soon and they definitely are BC with a shitload of 360 games with more being added to the list all the time.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

I love my Xbox One and I plan on getting a Scorpio. From these comments I guess I'll be the only one that sticks my neck out. The Kinect microphone is my primary method for searching and pausing for movies and TV shows. I also stream all Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, HBO, Youtube, USA, and FX shows on it, I think the apps are well designed. With better functionality for all of that and Cortana improving I'll be extremely excited. I also like Halo, Gears, Forza, and well, I'm interested in what those games can do. The backwards compatibility has been a boon for me as well. Xbox Live speaks for itself, it is a quality service that I've had for 12 years.

I also have a lot of content on the Xbox One video store like The Force Awakens and Jurassic World so I'm a fan of the streaming quality etc.

The UI still has a lot of ways to improve, in some ways they've regressed. But they've integrated the PC and Xbox together in interesting ways that I've been messing with. The Xbox to PC streaming games is pretty damn good and the marketplace on both UI's are logically similar although navigation on a PC is easier. You can essentially exist in both and know what to do.

The Playstation offers a different kind of experience that I think has paid its dividends with the games. You just can't find the same amount of interesting and unique quality titles from large to small on the Xbox since launch. But I think that might be changing, years later. At the same time if your interested in a media box like me then Scorpio is probably a kill-all.

It's definitely new territory and for once the OG user won't be left out in a cycle. You can buy the new disc and run it on your old thing right? Phew...

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know. For probably the first time in my life I'm putting together a strong desktop machine, mainly because I'm getting serious about being a software developer with a well-maintained, efficient environment and not just a pen-and-paper/whiteboard computability theorist type who pokes and prods through interactions with actual computers. But I also intend to use it for high-end gaming because why not, and Microsoft's whole Play Anywhere push has come at about the right time for that. I'll immediately have access to KI in glorious 4K60, I'll probably pick up Forza Horizon 3, and then there's not a lot else I need MS to move over from my existing catalog for me to be able to just leave the Bone under the parents' loungeroom TV as a replacement for the three scrappy boxes (a half-broken VHS/DVD player that doesn't do VHS anymore, some shitty digital free-to-air TV receiver thing, and a tiny WiFi thing for Netflix) they're relying on now. (Though it'd be great if MS brought Rare Replay and/or their 360 emulation solution to PC...)

So I don't know that there'll be a whole lot of reason for me to get a Scorpio when one comes out. But also, I don't think MS really intends on me getting a Scorpio anymore. They just want me in their ecosystem. Maybe I'll get a Scorpio if I need a second machine to put somewhere, like the machine I currently own which I'm planning on giving to the parents. Or maybe more Arkham Knight situations will unfurl where having a console might just be the better way to play. Then sure, maybe I'll fork out for a Scorpio if I have the money. Or maybe the NX will cover that incidentally, so I won't have to.

I don't have a PS4, and I'm not super enthusiastic about any of Sony's exclusive lineup at the moment (although Horizon looks promising...), and I think the original PS4 is better looking than the new SKUs they're putting out, so I don't see myself getting a NeoPro anytime soon. I'm leaning towards trying to get one of those pretty original PS4's just to play Horizon. On the other hand, I'm honestly kind-of a Sony anti-fanboy (former Nintendo fanboy, I don't mind Nintendo or Microsoft these days but goddamn Sony...), a spell which I might try to break by actually going out and buying some Playstation hardware at some point, so maybe I should get Sony's hottest and most expensive offering at the time?

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Honestly, just some pervy weeb shit that will never get ported to PC.

I'm a simple man with simple desires.

crashguy152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

4K doesn't exactly seem worth going out to by a new console for at the moment, especially with TVs that offer that support being in the $$$$ range. I'm content with what I have as well.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Original Xbox backwards compatibility, and oddly enough, improved Kinect support. There are so few Sony exclusives coming out these days which I care about, so I can't see myself buying another console from them in the near future.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Truth be told I am probably eventually going to get a PS4. Might still be a while, but it'll happen. When that happens, I might as well go Pro. A Pro update for Bloodborne would go a long way though.

I just want the exclusives.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Mirado

@giant_gamer said:

@mirado: Consoles have always felt to me as if they are a plug and play gaming PCs. Although they are limited in comparison to the PC, they free you from the headache of the OS, drivers and video games compatibility issues.

Oh sure, I agree. They can be much easier to just sit down and enjoy versus a PC, but I've got a sky-high tolerance for that stuff, so I'll always take the full thing (good and bad) whenever I can.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#31  Edited By meptron

Some kind of feature worth the cost that doesn't require me to buy a new tv.

So nothing.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Getting both already. Never bought a ps4 and I love the xbox one but games run like ass

tatsuyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'm buying a Scorpio as soon as it's available and I'll probably buy a PS4 Pro when I'll have seen what it's capable of.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

PS VR needs to impress the shit out of me, and then it needs to run significantly better on PS4 Pro. I may get a scorpion so I can play Xbone exclusives. Xbone has the FX now app too; can you stream the entirety of the Simpsons through that app? I may get the Scorpio just as a Simpsons streaming device.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As the owner of an Xbox One I would consider purchasing a Scorpio if there was a solid exchange program in place.

I can't believe they're not doing anything like that on an official level with the Pro. I was ready to come into this thread and say "nothing", but yeah if they had a good enough exchange program I'd probably cave and get it for the bigger harddrive alone.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

PS Pro:

- Sony ads the 4K blu-ray support that should have been included in the first place.

- Scropio releases and it's not the massive upgrade it was suggested to be.

Scropio:

- Sony continues to drag their feet and keep a stick up their ass when it comes to supporting the same console game mods as their competitor. I'm the customer here, and they don't get to do that and still have my support, unless they have a reasonable explanation. That was my attitude with Microsoft when I didn't agree with them, and that's my attitude here. Either remain competitive with your competitor's offering, or explain to me exactly why you CAN'T, and explain what you're doing that could make that acceptable for some.

As an example, after much frustration with a particular Xbox Live feature never making it to PS3, Sony eventually said something along the lines of "Our PS3 wasn't designed with party chat in mind, and there is no way for our developers to add that support. On the other hand, PS3 online is free, and the optional PS Plus service offers a great selection of games" That was an unfortunate, but acceptable answer. Silence is not an acceptable answer.

- Scropio blows the doors off Sony's Pro console.

- And MOST importantly, 3rd party games are released that that look and run significantly better on the Scorpio than on the PS Pro.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

As an owner of a PS4 it makes a lot of sense to get the Scorpio since I will get the best performance of cross platform titles and a great catalog of backwards compatible titles from the 360 days - while I still retain the PS4 for the few and far in between exclusives which generally run really well as it is. Nothing Sony has said or shown or even alluded to in the future makes me want to stay with them. Sony had a good run there for a while when Microsoft were busy tripping over their own feet, but it didn't take long for them to settle back into the same rut that made them fall so far behind last generation. This new 4.0 firmware update is looking pretty good but it's something that should have come out at least a year ago. Microsoft on the other hand seems to be making all the right moves, for me personally. The ability to buy an XB1 and have it be available to play on PC as well WITH saves transferring over is HUGE. IF a game runs like trash on the XB1 like ReCore seems to be doing, I can just switch over to my PC. If my PC can't handle the new Gears of War, I can just switch over to the XB1. It's a beautiful harmony that means you never have to choose between one or the other.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

having the money to do so

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The only reason to buy those console iterations (and indeed, consoles at all) is exclusive games. As long as the launch PS4/XB1 are still supported by new titles.

MVHVTMV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sold my PS4 a about 6 months ago when the PS4Pro was first leaked. I probably wouldn't buy a Pro unless there was a significant price drop in the future and there are some decent exclusives, Bloodborne 2 or Demon's Souls 2 maybe? I initially bought my PS4 when I didn't have a gaming PC, and I it was largely so I could play Bloodborne.

I'm still tempted to buy an XBONE because I have a big 360 library and my launch 360 died a few years back from gradual moisture damage. If I could get a Scorpio that would allow me to play my 360 library in 60 fps I'd probably jump at the chance, otherwise I might get a slim in a few years when the price comes down for posterity's sake.

ColossalGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ColossalGhost

Within reason? Nothing. For me to even consider buying a console it would need to be about 2-3 times as powerful as they currently are.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By onarum

If PCs didn't exist

hacksword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing. They only way I would own an XBox or Playstation is if all developers and publishers abandoned the PC for some reason. There no evidence of that happening anytime soon.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#44  Edited By conmulligan

I've already made up my mind to get both, mostly because I've fallen in love with HDR and want to get my hands on as many sources as possible. I'd be tempted to hold off on the PS4 Pro if native Windows support for HDR was more forthcoming, but it sounds like it'll be next year before DWM support happens and I can't see many developers being quick on the uptake before either that or the PS4 Pro establishes itself.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DharmaBum

Patching some key titles in my existing Xbox library with improved visuals and performance would definitely push me toward buying a Scorpio. Also go back and fix The Master Chief Collection or it will forever be a blemish on the platform.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to buy a Pro because I play so much PS4 it's worth the money to improve my experience even a little bit. Sort of the same theory as an Elite controller for Xbox.

I won't be buying a Scorpio because I already own a PS4 and a PC. I was expecting to get an Xbox One S (before it was announced), but when MS announced that all Xbox exclusives would be on PC I no longer had any need for an Xbox One. So I don't expect anything will push me to buy one.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it has proper mouse and keyboard support, and if VR is significantly better.

They're the only reasons I can think of at this point.

JayCowle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sonic.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I own a 4K HDR tv. So, I will get both and I have a nice PC.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Double the specs, half the price.