What 'older' game are you playing right now?

Nime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

For the last six months or so I've gotten back into playing TF2 and playing that competitively.

Also I've been playing a lot of modded Minecraft again.

As for really old stuff, I started Paper Mario and Earthbound fairly recently but ended up not sticking with either.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

@zevvion: I think part of the reason is that AI like that doesn't work in either the very linear, scripted levels seen in most shooters last generation, or the vast open worlds seen this generation. I haven't played the new Wolfenstein or Doom games but I would imagine they have similarly complex AI just due to the structure of the level design. A big thing in FEAR is that there is no stealth component. That makes the AI design very different than in many modern games where enemy AI can "lose" you. So there are a bunch of different explanations, from it being really hard, to it not working super well with how level design has gone for the past two generations. Plus it's worth mentioning that complex AI eats a lot of CPU time and CPU power is something consoles this generation are very short on.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Hotline Miami 2. Currently on stage 12 and loving it so far. It's like a psychedelic drug trip down a very deep dark hole. The visuals and music are killer. Seems much more difficult from the get go than 1, but also presents you with the opportunity to use guns more often it feels like.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

World of Warcraft, if that counts! Also Planetside 2 and Diablo 3!

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

@raven10: The new Wolfenstein and Doom are great games, but they don't have FEAR's AI. I do remember Rage being pretty close though not quite there. Man... Rage. That game was underrated.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I never played Bravely Default when it released a couple of years ago but I've been playing it for about 3 weeks now and I love it! My current party looks like this:

Tiz - Valkyrie + Spell Fencer

Edea - Knight + Pirate

Ringabel - Thief + Time Mage

Agnes - White Made + Black Mage

Once I unlock Spirit Master I plan or swapping it in on Agnes for Black Mage, I'm already doing plenty of black magic damage with Tiz.

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By Choi

Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura. Graphics card on my laptop died on me, so I take turns on my gaming PC with my wife, and play older games that the laptops internal graphics card can handle in the meantime.

I've never finished Arcanum, and I really like turn based CRPGs like that. I'm just really bummed the turn based combat is not better, but I love the setting, story , character progression and quests...

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doom 2. Always, and forever, Doom 2.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I... installed Rage. Not only did I forget about Rage, many people didn't think it was great when it came out. The game is so good. That AI is tons of fun, that card game is infinitely more fun than The Witcher 3's and shit firing those weapons feels fantastic. It's so sad what happened to the reception of that game. People wanted a more open world I think, but it's so good for what it is.

Lomilias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never got to finish Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty, so I'm spending my vacation doing that at the moment. I'm fairly entertained, so I might end up buying the other two campaigns.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#161  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I am playing Final Fantasy II (the real one, not IV) for the second time in my life.

Previously I had played through it very quickly as part of the Origins release on PS1 back in 2003, which, shit, I guess was a long time ago now.

To be honest I remembered both FFI & II as being straightforward, and without much personality. Simple games I got through just to get through. This may still be true of the first game in the series, but I feel I really didn't appreciate FFII as much back then as I do now. To keep things somewhat short: it's great.

The music is beautiful, the character sprites are nice (though still not a huge fan of this age of spritework), and I'm enjoying the story. The little Amano-style character portraits in dialog go a long way to uplift the characters and I'm enjoying the tone very much so far. The combat mechanics were a big surprise. Did I just totally forget how this works? Why wasn't I amazed by it back then? While it does seem like the game will be too easy, the fact that there are no level ups and instead Morrowindesque skill upgrading is amazing. Really makes you wish other FFs had ran with that at some point.

And again, the music. Just a perfect game to relax and play out on the deck, chilling in the sun.

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#162  Edited By BallsLeon

Heroes III, play a hot seat multiplayer scenario every few weeks while drinking, and watching movies.

Also, been meaning to start the Mass Effect series again. I've stopped and started a few times for various reasons, but I want to sit down and give it a fair shake.

Also, need to wrap up Saints Row IV. I started this game a couple years late, and keep getting distracted with new releases.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

@zevvion: Rage is a really great game. People act like Id hasn't made a great game in 15+ years before DOOM, but I always beg to differ.

Avatar image for joe_mccallister
Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I'm a slave to influence - watched the Pirates of the Carribean movies recently and therefore bought AC Black Flag on PC and have gone back to playing that just to power up and take out the ghost/legendary ships. It's a ton of fun and I never finished it the first time around.

Also going back to MGS V on PC and wanting to build the best PMC that there ever will be - it's a shame the game slows down so much in the second act.

Apparently on an open world kick because I still jump in Just Cause 3 every so often to claim a new province - and I launched up The Witcher 3 to just dick around the DLC a bit.

I guess the theme here is that I can't make my mind up and keep bouncing all over.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

@ballsleon: Play Mass Effect when you can. It is quite an interesting progression from 1 to 3.

EvilCalvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Witcher 3 and Diablo 3. After those it's back into Dragon Age Inquisition as I upgraded to the XBone version after I got it on sale in the Xbone store last week. $16 for the GOTY edition. It was kind of a pain to figure out how to transfer the save over (had to DL a special area on 360 then go to War Room to start mission to access special area, then save to Xbone, then DL game and then DL save from the cloud, then go back to special area and then redo your character's appearance....not sure why that didn't carry over). Oh well at least I can continue rather than restart.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been digging into my backlog a bit lately and have made some progress. I've recently wrapped up Just Cause 3 and Never Alone and have started playing Submerged and Slender: The Arrival.

I'm a couple of hours into Submerged and so far have been enjoying it. Other then some weird frame rate hitchyness when using turbo on the boat, I find the game very visually striking. I've always enjoyed games that deal in after the apocalypse scenario's and Submerged has that destroyed beauty thing going on in spades. It's very relaxing to just drive around on the boat, explore some buildings, and hunt for things to find with my telescope. I haven't seen much story stuff so far, but I have a feeling the game is going to get weird soon since I've spotted weird looking people that have algae and such growing all over them watching me as I boat around, curious to see where this thing goes.

I've only just started Slender, but I like scary games and while I may not be as on board with the recent out cropping of horror games that leave you absolutely defenseless, I tend to enjoy most of them. I like the Slender mythos so I'll probably enjoy this game just fine.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

@zevvion: Rage definitely had some great AI and enjoyable locations to fight in. The final act was just not up to par with the rest of the game, and the whole debacle with the PC version's state at launch really ruined any goodwill people had towards Id at the time, but definitely an underrated title in my mind.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Picked up Trigger Happy Havoc: Danganronpa for the Vita during a Big Japan Games sale a week ago and have been playing it every day and it has me engrossed. Especially with it's Phoenix Wright style game play with mini-games and an interesting cast of characters.

Ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Like a lot of people I've been playing some Red Dead Redemption now that it's out on Xbox One backwards compatibility, also playing Mega Man for the first time on ps4,

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#171  Edited By Dussck

@zevvion said:

@raven10: The new Wolfenstein and Doom are great games, but they don't have FEAR's AI. I do remember Rage being pretty close though not quite there. Man... Rage. That game was underrated.

In defense of Doom: those enemies don't really need a more sophisticated AI then they have now. They are just big dumb demons that are out for your blood, not a SWAT team :p

FEAR is a good example and I also remember even Half Life had some great AI. Especially the marines!
I should replay Half-Life...

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Driver Parallel Lines ;)

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

Played GRAW 2 on the PC. Was surprised to see how different GRAW is on PC than it was on the 360. GRAW 2 had a strong start. If you played it on "hardcore" it played like a real successor to the original Ghost Recon but, unfortunately, it suffers from the habits of modern gaming as, with the missions that are more interested in the narrative, you either get linear or tedious, "defense" levels. These levels are mixed in with some decent GR missions but by the third act i was done with it.

So that's all for my Tom Clancy retrospective...they got shitty over time.

Zelnox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#175  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin

It's definitly a harder game than DS1, although the bosses might be slightly easier. The game likes to put you in encounters with 4-8 enemies at once, making it more like a puzzle of aggro. Can i pull this guy away from the others and pick em off one by one?

Also interesting how they keep reusing bosses as normal enemies later on. I thought the idea was neat with the pursuer, but when you see it happen with another boss, it loses the magic a bit and feels lazy. Also, as someone who likes to comb out all the area's before moving on, the tutorial area having a doorway blocked by a statue felt weird. Why can't i access this pathway in the tutorial area from the start? I basically had to use my first branch on that because it kept bugging me.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am literally always playing some rotation of Diablo II, Morrowind, or the old GBC Pokemon games.

Schmollian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mount and Blade: Warband and Red Dead Redemption (PS3 version) are my two main games at the moment and they are both older titles that I have returned to while I wait for No Man's Sky.

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#178  Edited By mackgyver

I recently had to buy another graphics card since my previous one burned out. So now I'm replaying Dragon Age Inquisition, with a mage going for Knight Enchanter, on a GTX 1070. Everything maxed out and mostly 60FPS. Beautiful.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Witcher 3 and Pokemon Alpha Sapphire are the only older games I'm playing right now. I haven't gotten to the DLC for TW3 so I'm counting it. And I hadn't beaten the Delta Episode for AS (I had on Omega Ruby) so I decided to do that, and then go through more post-game stuff (legendaries, revisiting routes to catch stuff, etc) as well as training up an Eevee squad. Always wanted to do that.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I've been revisiting Space Pirates and Zombies for a bit now. Really grind-heavy and there's a bunch of cringey humor in the writing, but it's still kind of fun to get new recipes and stuff. I don't think I ever really beat it as eventually the zombie hordes start getting way too tough to fight repeatedly, but we'll see!

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Need for Speed. Hitman Go.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a48350594a61
deactivated-5a48350594a61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The obvious one right now is Red Dead redemption, but also ready to plow through resident evil 4 HD when that comes out.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Right now I'm slowly making my way through the original Wild ARMs. It's a cool little JRPG with a lot of charm and some nice puzzle-based dungeon design, although the combat isn't especially nuanced from what I've seen in the last ten hours or so. I plan to keep going with it to see where the story ends up.

BambamCZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Banjo Kazooie for the first time...this game has not aged all that well. Which kinda makes me sad that I'm not enjoying it since I loved platformers as a kid.

nuworldblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been playing Zelda 2 on Virtual Console on the 3DS. Actually a fun game despite being the red-headed stepchild of the franchise.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#186  Edited By Svenzon

Been flipping through the Fallout PnP rulebook and preparing to GM a campaign in it lately, which made me real hungry for some classic Fallout. The first game used to be my favorite and even though I still love it, it felt a lot more simple this time around. The writing is way more concise and the choices, while interesting, aren't as complex as I recall. Still, there are memorable moments (meeting the Master is a big one) and most of the combat encounters are well laid out. The game is considerably shorter than the others, which I won't really hold against it. Not every RPG has to be a 50-hour affair.

As soon as I was done I started Fallout 2, this time with the Restoration Project mod installed. FO2 used to be my least favorite in the series along with 4. I've owned the game since launch day and have started it several times, but didn't actually finish it until last year. Thought it was okay, then moved on. Well, something must have happened to my brain since then, cause I appreciate it way more now. The game has way more personality than the first one. The political conflicts between NCR, Vault City, New Reno and Redding gives the whole thing a really strong sense of place. You're not just cruising travelling between isolated shanty towns anymore, but actually interacting with the game world on a way larger scale. FO2 does have some serious downsides though. The juvenile sense of humor doesn't quite work for me. Many of the random encounters are absolutely unreasonable. Once my level 5 character was ambushed by raiders armed with energy weapons and assault rifles. Needless to say, that encounter ended with me getting sliced in half. On some level I can appreciate that sort of thing. It does create a real sense of danger, but it also feels you're being actively punished for not dumping points into Outdoorsman. That said, I'm having a really good time with Fallout 2 and might move on to New Vegas when I finish it.

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#187  Edited By Bowl-of-Lentils

Currently playing Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy Wars for the Super Nintendo. The gameplay isn't nearly as streamlined as the modern entries but the story is very strong, reminds me a lot of anime epics like Legend of the Galatic Heroes or the older The Heroic Legend of Arslan OVAs (basically Yoshiki Tanaka stuff).

ObiKwiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I just started playing WoW for the first time last night.

blackichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm playing through Sleeping Dogs again. That game can be a buggy mess but god damn is that game fun.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been playing GTA4, which I picked up in the Steam sale (look, the port is ass but I still have a fondness for GTA4. Some irritating moments, but overall I seem to like it more than most. Though I would like a more "low-key" GTA game where it's not just totally filled with people double crossing each other) and since Pokemon Go came out & I quickly realised it doesn't really work when you live in a fairly rural area, I've been playing Pokemon FireRed. So far I've gotten to Lavender City and had a scrap with Gary but decided to have a break before continuing further. I've never actually finished a Pokemon game, despite getting Blue when it came back and playing most of the game since then. So I'm going to see if I can finally beat a game. I got through the annoying part where it takes forever to level up the Magikarp until it evolves at least.

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rediscovering the Nepuntia franchise after buying most of them on a PSN and Steam sale last month.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I forgot Goat Simulator.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I am playing Final Fantasy II (the real one, not IV) for the second time in my life.

Previously I had played through it very quickly as part of the Origins release on PS1 back in 2003, which, shit, I guess was a long time ago now.

To be honest I remembered both FFI & II as being straightforward, and without much personality. Simple games I got through just to get through. This may still be true of the first game in the series, but I feel I really didn't appreciate FFII as much back then as I do now. To keep things somewhat short: it's great.

The music is beautiful, the character sprites are nice (though still not a huge fan of this age of spritework), and I'm enjoying the story. The little Amano-style character portraits in dialog go a long way to uplift the characters and I'm enjoying the tone very much so far. The combat mechanics were a big surprise. Did I just totally forget how this works? Why wasn't I amazed by it back then? While it does seem like the game will be too easy, the fact that there are no level ups and instead Morrowindesque skill upgrading is amazing. Really makes you wish other FFs had ran with that at some point.

And again, the music. Just a perfect game to relax and play out on the deck, chilling in the sun.

That's the first time I've ever heard anyone say anything positive about Final Fantasy II's combat. Usually, there's someone grumbling about how punching yourself is the best way to level up or something. I've never personally played it, though.

Avatar image for tavistavistavis
tavistavistavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Destiny. Does that count as "older"?

n00bs7ay3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After finishing Castlevania, Simon's Quest, Dracula's Curse, and Super Castlevania IV, I have now moved on to Rondo of Blood.

I also started replaying Red Dead Redemption.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

I bought Resident Evil 4 for the...wanna say 3rd time and am now playing it on PC...man, the first half of that game is so good, it makes the second half bearable...

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a group of new players that I'm running through some content on Guild Wars 1. Really having some flashbacks of hours and hours spent playing

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing through Human Revolution again before Mankind Divided comes out. Im playing with the dev commentary for the first time which is pretty fascinating.