SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#51  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco
@hunkulese said:

@flashflood_29: Isn't their audience Mega Man fans?

They're hoping to release an anime alongside the game. Even with that out of the equation, a good portion of the gaming audience that follows video games close enough to care about kickstarters are also anime fans (of course this is just anecdotal from my observations).

generalwalnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By generalwalnut

@turambar said:
@oursin_360 said:
@turambar said:

@oursin_360: Considering this is what they originally said the game would be, yes, it is in fact vastly different.

I'm not really sure what the big difference is in that pic? Is it a graphics downgrade type of thing?

Are you implying there isn't much of a difference between a sprite based and polygonal based visual style?

If I remember right (and I very well might not) that image was labeled proof of concept and prototype footage from before the Kickstarter finished already showed early 3D work. I think they also announced they were using Unreal Engine during the campaign, but again I might be wrong.

Looks about right for the budget, I think maybe people over-estimate what $4 million will get you. Especially with an established studio like Inti Creates. With something like Yacht Club or Playtonic they can maybe stretch a dollar a bit more by taking less pay than they normally would, but Inti isn't gonna pay people assigned to work on Mighty No 9 less.

I don't think the game looks as horrible as people think, explosions aside, but yes that trailer is horrrrrrible. I didn't back it but might pick it up if/when it finally releases.

Avatar image for deactivated-58670791014d2
deactivated-58670791014d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@error52: I have not watched the trailer yet but the way you describe it sounds pretty awesome to me now let's take a look..... Well ok....

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I thought some of you guys were being a bit hyperbolic, then I watched the trailer. The narrator sounds like that annoying dude that used to do the Pepsi Next podcast ads that I despised so much which was an immediate turn off, not to mention the terrible writing. The look of the game is totally bland, that explosion looked like complete ass. Did you see that "retro" skin pre order bonus thing that just looks like a fucking minecraft character?

The dash thing looked like it could be fun maybe.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flashflood_29: Well, they're far past marketing to the Kickstarter crowd.

I also don't think caring about video games automatically makes you an anime fan.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#56  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

@hunkulese said:

... automatically makes you an anime fan.

Don't put words in my mouth.

@flashflood_29: ...a good portion of the gaming audience that follows video games close enough to care about kickstarters are also anime fans (of course this is just anecdotal from my observations).

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#57  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I never minded the delays all that much (although they were all handled about as poorly as possible), but this trailer has kinda shredded any desire I may have still had to play this game. Not because of the cringe-worthy voice over, but more because this game just looks ugly. It seems like there was zero art direction at all. Looking back at that original concept art, everything seemed so promising, but they failed to deliver on any of that charm.

The game may still play well, though I have doubts, but I don't think I really care either way at this point. My interest in this game has pretty much hit zero. If I'm being honest with myself, I was never even the biggest Mega Man fan, so it was kinda easy for me to just stop caring. The only reason I may have backed it early on was that I just got caught up in the hype.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, I didn't think it was so bad. Looking at the art style this game was always aimed more at kids and there's nothing wrong with that.

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think the voice over is as bad as people are saying; I think it's going for that "commercial during the Saturday morning cartoon block" vibe and trying to appeal to kids. Of course that isn't the only audience that cares about this game, but I could see what it was going for and not get annoyed by it. I think I even cracked a smile while listening.

The game itself looks really rough though. I don't have much interest in this game at all and the trailer only strengthens my apathy. Also I think the way it jumps directly into movement mechanics with little to no preamble is a bit strange.

With so many good games coming out recently I'm kinda happy I can quickly identify one that I will not buy. Funnily enough, I'll probably buy Tokyo Mirage Sessions that same week which seems to be about as anime as you can get.

warpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh, what a shit show. Hundreds of comments on kickstarter from people not getting their platform survey (so they cannot choose what platform to get the game on), so they're still fucking up.

(I'm a backer and also didn't get the most recent platform survey link, but considering how terrible the game looks I don't really care anymore)

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#61  Edited By Slag

@milkman said:

The voice over is truly, truly awful but it would be maybe forgivable if the game didn't look terrible as well. The gameplay seems to be the most bare bones, uninteresting 2D platformer imaginable and graphically, both on the technical and art design side, it looks like it was ported from a PS2. The character and enemy designs honestly look fan made and THOSE EXPLOSIONS. Why do the explosions look like pizza? WHY.

No Caption Provided

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

gUESS i'LL JUST HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL MIGHTY NO 10

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Aegon

@slag said:
@milkman said:

The voice over is truly, truly awful but it would be maybe forgivable if the game didn't look terrible as well. The gameplay seems to be the most bare bones, uninteresting 2D platformer imaginable and graphically, both on the technical and art design side, it looks like it was ported from a PS2. The character and enemy designs honestly look fan made and THOSE EXPLOSIONS. Why do the explosions look like pizza? WHY.

No Caption Provided

Oh...oh that is precious.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Oh, Deep Silver is publishing this. They sometimes have... uh... interesting marketing ideas.

Someone on Twitter compared them to Acclaim and that was spot-fucking-on.

Scottjay01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still wish this game was 2d, like the concept art.

I think it could have done a guilty gear and been really something.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I clicked play thinking it couldn't be all that bad. Was blown away. It was like an infomercial with a coating of 90s 'tude.

No Caption Provided

deepcovergecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"There's probably a dash that'll make you breakfast I DON'T KNOW!"

Joshakazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Joshakazam

$70. I gave them $70.

the only thing saving it is that it was so long ago it doesnt matter.

And looking at the gameplay...I'm not entirely sure where your money went?

Maybe that's too overly rude, but considering the game's budget, I guess I was just expecting something more impressive.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

It still looks like it is somewhere between an alpha and a beta in development. Bummer.

On to my short Kickstarter regret pile it goes.

deepcovergecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bradbrains said:

$70. I gave them $70.

Maybe that's too overly rude, but considering the game's budget, I guess I was just expecting something more impressive.

No Caption Provided

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bradbrains said:

$70. I gave them $70.

Marketing?

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By odinsmana

@deepcovergecko said:
@lilman1101 said:
@bradbrains said:

$70. I gave them $70.

No Caption Provided

Some quick googling told me that the Trine budget was initally 30,000 euros, but actually ended up becoming 850,000 by the time development finished. That`s still a lot less than 3.85 mill, but also a lot more reasonable than 30k. Trine also only came out on 2 platforms, where as Mighty No. 9 comes out on a whole bunch (9 or something like that). Mighty No. 9 still looks kind of bad, but that comparison is not entirely fair.

Source: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/5826/postmortem_frozenbytes_trine.php?print=1

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By OurSin_360
@turambar said:
@oursin_360 said:
@turambar said:

@oursin_360: Considering this is what they originally said the game would be, yes, it is in fact vastly different.

I'm not really sure what the big difference is in that pic? Is it a graphics downgrade type of thing?

Are you implying there isn't much of a difference between a sprite based and polygonal based visual style?

Looks like they came close to hitting that concept art you posted? I guess if they flat out said this will be hand drawn 2d then i guess if that's what makes the game for you i can understand being upset, but as far as gameplay and visual style it looks about the same to me. I honestly had to look twice to tell that concept art wasn't polygonal tbh. Anyway, the moral is don't back kickstarters you are going to be disappointed 90% of the time but i hope the game redeems itself for you all with it's gameplay.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Price for look doesnt mean much to me. But I was kinda sold a 2d megaman revial and now I got this weird 3d thing that doesnt look at good.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, I don't think it's as bad of a trailer as everyone is making it. It's more dumb than anything, I'm pretty sure I've seen worse.

The game still looks like crap thought.

Joshakazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Price for look doesnt mean much to me. But I was kinda sold a 2d megaman revial and now I got this weird 3d thing that doesnt look at good.

The thing is it just doesn't look like a Megaman game. It might not even be a bad game, but it also doesn't seem to be what they were selling in the original pitch.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 2

I'm all for mocking anime fans (of which I am one), though using a joke straight out of the 80s when for instance the hottest wrestling act on the planet is walking out at Wrestlemania in anime costumes is perhaps a little dated.

I'm hoping at some point we'll get a book about the development of this game. It basically seems to boil down to that stretch goal to add multiplayer just sunk the entire project, but I still want to hear the full story.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not only was the trailer bad, but man that game seems bad. It looks like a Unity prototype game. Also some of the particle fx and stuff just looks straight up awful. I was interested in this when I saw the initial concept art, but this thing looks like a disaster.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Man, how good did that concept art look when this thing was announced? So much potential, and look what it became.

But hey, maybe it's my fault for not liking AWSUM THINGS THAT R AWSUM, WIPE THE CHEETO DUST OFF YOUR DIRTY FUCKIN' FINGERS AND BUY THIS GAME, DUDE.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not only was the trailer bad, but man that game seems bad. It looks like a Unity prototype game. Also some of the particle fx and stuff just looks straight up awful. I was interested in this when I saw the initial concept art, but this thing looks like a disaster.

A 3.5 million+ dollars Unity prototype

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

The game is a bit less than it should be in a few areas, but ist not terrible, it is just lacking a final pass of thought that might have happened at Capcom. Another big issue is the tone deaf advertising that isnot doing favors to the game play.

However, the deep underlying problems has been the lack of structure the team might have had in the past like at a Capcom. Everyone, including Inafune, still might have needed more structure and more time for this projects to get planned better. Lack of planning at the start has likely just incorporated errors that would have been avoided otherwise, but now the game can only be what it is now. Keiji Inafune thrust himself out-there as a business man, and it appears that WAS NOT really his strength. I'm sure he learned a lot through this experiences, likely not much of it pleasant.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#83  Edited By ProfessorEss

This is definitely the type of game where it could turn out to be way better to play than it looks... but it does not look good.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I'd probably be more upset if I was invested in the project, but all I can muster is a "meh." Obviously the organization and PR behind the project is famously a shitshow by this point, so it doesn't shock me that the next glimpse into that world is an awkward one. All that remains to be seen is whether the actual game designers have been making something good while its public heads have been playing in the mud.

Honestly I think it's pretty 50/50

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Man, bad jokes aside, that wasn't the game I expecting that so many people were waiting on.

Feathered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty friggin' awesome!

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If someone told me this was a fake trailer for a fake game in a sitcom or similar I'd totally believe you.

Also I do love awesome things that are awesome, so it does speak to my core beliefs . . .

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That really sucks. I'm not a big mega man fan but this situation makes me worry about the other big name japanese based kickstarters.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

That really sucks. I'm not a big mega man fan but this situation makes me worry about the other big name japanese based kickstarters.

I'd really like to hope Bloodstained doesn't go down a similar trajectory, given how similar they are in what they're trying to achieve (spiritual successor by original creator to old series the rights owners no longer care about).

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:
@devil240z said:

I'd really like to hope Bloodstained doesn't go down a similar trajectory, given how similar they are in what they're trying to achieve (spiritual successor by original creator to old series the rights owners no longer care about).

Yeah and I don't even want to think about shenmue.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:
@devil240z said:

Well there was never any doubts Shenmue 3 will be a train wreck sadly.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rigas said:
@devil240z said:
@yummylee said:
@devil240z said:

Well there was never any doubts Shenmue 3 will be a train wreck sadly.

Ill be happy if we just get ports of the first two on PS4/X1/PC.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

I was hopeful for this game.

I am no longer.

Catlicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man, I'm really sorry for 8-4, but this looks bad. Are they still involved with this mess?

So many people were so excited when the first announcement came out...

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#95  Edited By zaccheus

Don't really know about the game, but that trailer was terrrible.

No Caption Provided

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#96  Edited By Onemanarmyy

@deepcovergecko: The problem with those comparisons is that Kickstarter doesn't tell the whole story.

How big is the team? Are there outside investors? How much do they invest? In which country is the game being made?

SlamTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a debacle, this trailer was like a 90's genesis commercial

Amazon-Alpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That trailer was dreadful. Like what the hell is Infaune thinking?

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazon-alpha: To be fair, I think that the marketing at this point is entirely in the hands of Deep Silver. Especially if this tweet from the CEO of Inti Creates , which had some involvement in the development of Mighty No. 9, is to be believed.

Pierre42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doesn't look that bad.