What do you think of this term I coined?

pretender15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pretender15

"streamers"

To refer to all of the mainstream people who are obsessed with Modern Warfare 2 and think that video games are better now than they were in the 90s. You know, people who don't realize that companies purposely make games for the lowest common denominator. And other people who are strictly into mainstream stuff, and don't care about innovation, sub-culture, or niches. Oh and of course, they are all graphics whores.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By crusader8463

I just call them idiots and people I try to avoid. Also, streamers sounds kind of kinky to me.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Sambambo

No Caption Provided
Ursus_Veritas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Ursus_Veritas

Honestly? It makes you sound like a massive cock. A massive, hipster-y cock.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By JJWeatherman

Why do people that don't happen to be into the "sub-culture" have to be assigned a derogatory nickname?

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By FireBurger

Video games are better now than they were in the 90s. In my opinion, if you think otherwise, it's just nostalgia speaking. Yes, there are a lot of "me too" games out there, but there is also a lot growth and innovation as well.

I don't really have a problem with mainstream gamers, so long as they don't profess to know everything about video games simply because they've played Madden, Halo, and Call of Duty. Or, worse, attack smaller, niche games just because they haven't heard of them.  

The way I see it, I enjoy big, blockbuster movies, and I don't want some film buff turning his nose at me just because I haven't seen the newest indie flick. Just let people enjoy what they enjoy, so long as they don't talk out of their asses or give you shit for enjoying what you enjoy.  

Mainstream gamers aren't killing the industry, they're making it bigger and bigger which means more games and more chances for innovation. With the development of distribution platforms like Indie Marketplace on Live, it's easier than ever for indie developers to get their games into players' hands, and it's the business from the mainstream that has allowed those frameworks to be built.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Vonocourt

Sounds more like someone who really digs Hulu/netflix streaming/onlive.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By MysteriousBob
@pretender15 said:

"  "streamers"To refer to all of the mainstream people who are obsessed with Modern Warfare 2 and think that video games are better now than they were in the 90s. You know, people who don't realize that companies purposely make games for the lowest common denominator. And other people who are strictly into mainstream stuff, and don't care about innovation, sub-culture, or niches. "

Do you like my new term? 
"Hipster dip-shit". 
Its a term I use to define people like you.
melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By melcene
@Ursus_Veritas said:
" Honestly? It makes you sound like a massive cock. A massive, hipster-y cock. "
This and  
@JJWeatherman
said:
" Why do people that don't happen to be into the "sub-culture" have to be assigned a derogatory nickname? "
This. 

You like your "streamers" name, fine.  We'll come up with one for punks who think they're cool just because they are anti-mainstream... Oh wait... there's already a name for that isn't there.  There certainly should be since those punks exist not just in the video game industry but basically any form of entertainment.  You know, they're those punks who are busy coming up with the garage band names that no one has every heard of and saying that's their favorite band.
DallyDoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DallyDoll
@Vonocourt said:
"Sounds more like someone who really digs Hulu/netflix streaming/onlive. "

That's what I thought, too. Someone who streams a lot of content on a regular basis.
Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Pezen

Focus negative energy on those 'gamers' that don't actually pay for their hobby. They're the enemy to the economy of our industry and why business goes before creativity, not some guy who bought and enjoyed Modern Warfare.

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By CptChiken

This just makes you sound so very much up yourself. As ive said on so many of your other posts on this subject of "casual" gamers.  

THEY SUPPORT THE "COR" INDUSTRY, WITH OUT THE MONEY THEY BRING TO PUBLISHERS AND DEVELOPERS THEY WOULDNT HAVE THE MONEY TO DO INNOVATIVE THINGS. 

Christ get out of your arse.

pretender15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pretender15
@crusader8463 said:
" I just call them idiots and people I try to avoid. Also, streamers sounds kind of kinky to me. "
Like BDSM, but slightly more arousing. :P
matti00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By matti00

I coined a term once. 'Hummercunt'. See if you can figure out what it means.

pretender15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By pretender15
@matti00 said:
" I coined a term once. 'Hummercunt'. See if you can figure out what it means. "
I can only imagine...
Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Aronman789

Streamers is already a term used to describe people who do livestreams.

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CptChiken
@matti00 said:
" I coined a term once. 'Hummercunt'. See if you can figure out what it means. "
is it people who hum incessantly?  
Or 
 is it the technique of humming whiles performing cunnilingous?  
or 
is it for humming birds that steal your precious nectar?  
or 
is it for people who drive hummers? 
or  
is it all of the above?
pretender15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pretender15
@CptChiken said:
" @matti00 said:
is it people who hum incessantly?  Or  is it the technique of humming whiles performing cunnilingous?  or is it for humming birds that steal your precious nectar?  or is it for people who drive hummers? or  is it all of the above? "
I'm going with D.
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Slaker117

Like what you like, don't make a fuss about other people's tastes.

Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Raymayne

Oh you mean people who aren't elitist douchebags like you? So streamer is a compliment then, fair enough.

B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By B0nd07
@Aronman789 said:
" Streamers is already a term used to describe people who do livestreams. "
Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

this
 this
FokisMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FokisMoney
@FireBurger said:
" Video games are better now than they were in the 90s. In my opinion, if you think otherwise, it's just nostalgia speaking. Yes, there are a lot of "me too" games out there, but there is also a lot growth and innovation as well. I don't really have a problem with mainstream gamers, so long as they don't profess to know everything about video games simply because they've played Madden, Halo, and Call of Duty. Or, worse, attack smaller, niche games just because they haven't heard of them.   The way I see it, I enjoy big, blockbuster movies, and I don't want some film buff turning his nose at me just because I haven't seen the newest indie flick. Just let people enjoy what they enjoy, so long as they don't talk out of their asses or give you shit for enjoying what you enjoy.   Mainstream gamers aren't killing the industry, they're making it bigger and bigger which means more games and more chances for innovation. With the development of distribution platforms like Indie Marketplace on Live, it's easier than ever for indie developers to get their games into players' hands, and it's the business from the mainstream that has allowed those frameworks to be built. "
@melcene said:
" @Ursus_Veritas said:
" Honestly? It makes you sound like a massive cock. A massive, hipster-y cock. "
This and  
@JJWeatherman
said:
" Why do people that don't happen to be into the "sub-culture" have to be assigned a derogatory nickname? "
This.  You like your "streamers" name, fine.  We'll come up with one for punks who think they're cool just because they are anti-mainstream... Oh wait... there's already a name for that isn't there.  There certainly should be since those punks exist not just in the video game industry but basically any form of entertainment.  You know, they're those punks who are busy coming up with the garage band names that no one has every heard of and saying that's their favorite band. "
These, all of these point some up my feelings on this thread, especially the new games vs. nostalgia and the whole OP being a hipster thing. Also to further prove the point of fireburger and his example of movie snobs, you people should watch (for free if you can) this little indie film called monsters, that was on live and psn a while ago. Absolutely boring and awful district 9 rip off. But go to IMDB and the snobby film people there praise it and say anyone who doesnt like it is some sort of knuckle dragging neanderthal. Look i can appreciate slow movies (let the right one in is slow and yet an amazing movie) but crap movie is crap movie no matter what artsy spin you put on it, or what deeper meaning you search for. Kind of off topic kind of on, i just agree i hate these anti mainstream people who think just because something is indie it HAS to be good and just cause something is mainstream or popular it HAS to be.
pretender15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By pretender15
@FokisMoney said:
" @FireBurger said:
" Video games are better now than they were in the 90s. In my opinion, if you think otherwise, it's just nostalgia speaking. Yes, there are a lot of "me too" games out there, but there is also a lot growth and innovation as well. I don't really have a problem with mainstream gamers, so long as they don't profess to know everything about video games simply because they've played Madden, Halo, and Call of Duty. Or, worse, attack smaller, niche games just because they haven't heard of them.   The way I see it, I enjoy big, blockbuster movies, and I don't want some film buff turning his nose at me just because I haven't seen the newest indie flick. Just let people enjoy what they enjoy, so long as they don't talk out of their asses or give you shit for enjoying what you enjoy.   Mainstream gamers aren't killing the industry, they're making it bigger and bigger which means more games and more chances for innovation. With the development of distribution platforms like Indie Marketplace on Live, it's easier than ever for indie developers to get their games into players' hands, and it's the business from the mainstream that has allowed those frameworks to be built. "
@melcene said:
" @Ursus_Veritas said:
This and  
@JJWeatherman
said:
This.  You like your "streamers" name, fine.  We'll come up with one for punks who think they're cool just because they are anti-mainstream... Oh wait... there's already a name for that isn't there.  There certainly should be since those punks exist not just in the video game industry but basically any form of entertainment.  You know, they're those punks who are busy coming up with the garage band names that no one has every heard of and saying that's their favorite band. "
These, all of these point some up my feelings on this thread, especially the new games vs. nostalgia and the whole OP being a hipster thing. Also to further prove the point of fireburger and his example of movie snobs, you people should watch (for free if you can) this little indie film called monsters, that was on live and psn a while ago. Absolutely boring and awful district 9 rip off. But go to IMDB and the snobby film people there praise it and say anyone who doesnt like it is some sort of knuckle dragging neanderthal. Look i can appreciate slow movies (let the right one in is slow and yet an amazing movie) but crap movie is crap movie no matter what artsy spin you put on it, or what deeper meaning you search for. Kind of off topic kind of on, i just agree i hate these anti mainstream people who think just because something is indie it HAS to be good and just cause something is mainstream or popular it HAS to be. "
I'm just fed up with shit games being released every year for the lowest common denominator.
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By keyhunter

This sounds a lot like that word they use for people who aren't white or asian. DOESN'T IT NOT?

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I call them gamers...because they play games.

futureman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By futureman

@pretender15 said:

I'm just fed up with shit games being released every year for the lowest common denominator. "

Maybe you could apply the term to people who buy cheap groceries instead of filet mignon and organic broccoli, or those fucking asshole that watch mainstream movies instead of arthouse films. I also think it should be forced on anyone caught drinking a Budweiser or Miller beer instead of a craft brew. What kind of car do you drive by the way? If it's anything relatively affordable, automatic, or a commonly seen make I'm afraid you might be a Streamer. I'm so fucking tired of people driving shit cars made for the masses.
Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Streamers is a real word all ready. 

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#29  Edited By Yummylee

You're going to become a sort of Bot Who Cried Wolf. One day you may just create an interesting thread, but I'll still be inclined to flag it from the previous attempts.

Voxatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Voxatron
@pretender15 said:

"  "streamers"To refer to all of the mainstream people who are obsessed with Modern Warfare 2 and think that video games are better now than they were in the 90s. You know, people who don't realize that companies purposely make games for the lowest common denominator. And other people who are strictly into mainstream stuff, and don't care about innovation, sub-culture, or niches. Oh and of course, they are all graphics whores. "

Seriously? So you'd hastily generalize a majority of people, just solely based on the fact that they enjoy something so evident as technological advancement in games and a quality first-person shooter too?Well since it just happens to be the major source of income for companies, do really honestly think they'd ever do otherwise? It's like saying all the mainstream people who drive cars are really stupid because riding a horse is sooo much cooler and  that they just don't get it or something. Okay other then that though it's neat I guess, but yeah totally already a thing.

@CptChiken said:

" @matti00 said:

is it people who hum incessantly?  Or  is it the technique of humming whiles performing cunnilingous?  or is it for humming birds that steal your precious nectar?  or is it for people who drive hummers? or  is it all of the above? "
You probably just nailed it on the head with B.
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Guess what? Games ARE better than they were in the 90s. Nostalgia fucks with your head. Everything seems better when you remember it. Probably because people like you were thinner and had more friends in the 90s. So obviously things are going to seem better than they are now. But they're not.

poser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By poser

My biggest problem with mainstream gaming are franchises. Instead of supporting a single game companies just make squeals that barely bring anything new to the experience. They are basically expansion packs priced as full game.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MysteriousBob
@pretender15: I'm fed up with pretencious arseholes. We all have problems. But you can help me by shutting the hell up.
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By McGhee

Ouch. This thread didn't go quite the way you planned, did it? LMAO

pretender15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By pretender15
@PrivateIronTFU said:

" Guess what? Games ARE better than they were in the 90s. Nostalgia fucks with your head. Everything seems better when you remember it. Probably because people like you were thinner and had more friends in the 90s. So obviously things are going to seem better than they are now. But they're not. "

Actually games in the 90s were better. We have this discussion multiple times a week over at the Steam forums, SW:TOR forums, and many other forums.
Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Romination
@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
" Ouch. This thread didn't go quite the way you planned, did it? LMAO "
I think it went the way that everyone else thought it would go though... 
Though I expected to see SOMEONE agreeing with him. 
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
@pretender15 said:
" @PrivateIronTFU said:

" Guess what? Games ARE better than they were in the 90s. Nostalgia fucks with your head. Everything seems better when you remember it. Probably because people like you were thinner and had more friends in the 90s. So obviously things are going to seem better than they are now. But they're not. "

Actually games in the 90s were better. We have this discussion multiple times a week over at the Steam forums, SW:TOR forums, and many other forums. "
It's funny that nobody here seems to agree with you, though.
Spike94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Spike94

What FireBurger said. He pretty much covered all that was in my noggin.
Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jack268

Two pages? This thread is way too mainstream and I hate everything mainstream because they can never contain something good. Threads were much better in the 90's when I browsed them on my 56k modem because it wasn't as mainstream then. Nevermind the fact that I couldn't load more than one thread per day.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#40  Edited By Bollard
@Pezen said:
" Focus negative energy on those 'gamers' that don't actually pay for their hobby. They're the enemy to the economy of our industry and why business goes before creativity, not some guy who bought and enjoyed Modern Warfare. "
Hey, you know what, I just coined an amazing phrase for those kind of people! 

"Pirates."
Spike94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Spike94
@poser said:
"My biggest problem with mainstream gaming are franchises. Instead of supporting a single game companies just make squeals that barely bring anything new to the experience. They are basically expansion packs priced as full game. "

That's generalizing a bit, no? Or a lot. 

(this part is to the OP and people who have commented on nostalgia) And as far as nostalgia goes, yeah, it's a beautiful thing, but don't let it entirely dictate your opinion. Some games back then certainly do hold up and it isn't just the nostalgia, but there have still been loads of games of superb quality since the 90s. Please don't tell me you missed the past decade of gaming, bro.
jlev880

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By jlev880

So stop playing popular games and join the sub-culture so we are not mainstream anymore.  If we do that then there will be no more mainstream right.
Wait...

pretender15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By pretender15
@PrivateIronTFU said:
" @pretender15 said:
" @PrivateIronTFU said:

Actually games in the 90s were better. We have this discussion multiple times a week over at the Steam forums, SW:TOR forums, and many other forums. "
It's funny that nobody here seems to agree with you, though. "
Most people here are console gamers.
Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Ramone

I'm stupider for having read this.

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By FireBurger
@pretender15 said:
" @PrivateIronTFU said:
" @pretender15 said:
" @PrivateIronTFU said:

Most people here are console gamers. "
Consolers? 

Also, your name is green...
Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn
@pretender15 said:
" @PrivateIronTFU said:
" @pretender15 said:
" @PrivateIronTFU said:

Most people here are console gamers. "
I split my time equally between PC and 360 and I personally think you're an elitist prick who looks down on people who play "popular" games for no good reason apart from the fact that you like to fill yourself with a sense of smug self satisfaction.
FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#47  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Because there were no shitty games released in the 90's

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#48  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Modern Warfare 2 was a great game. Let it go.

I'm not even one of those guys that plays it online every night, but I can't deny that it was a darn fine game.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel kind of special when I find something that not many people know of, but then I try and promote the shit out of it so it becomes mainstream.

pretender15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By pretender15
@TheGreatGuero said:
" Modern Warfare 2 was a great game. Let it go.  I'm not even one of those guys that plays it online every night, but I can't deny that it was a darn fine game. "
Oh believe me. It's terrible.