What do you think of this term I coined?

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
@pretender15 said:

" @PrivateIronTFU said:

" @pretender15 said:
" @PrivateIronTFU said:

" Guess what? Games ARE better than they were in the 90s. Nostalgia fucks with your head. Everything seems better when you remember it. Probably because people like you were thinner and had more friends in the 90s. So obviously things are going to seem better than they are now. But they're not. "

Actually games in the 90s were better. We have this discussion multiple times a week over at the Steam forums, SW:TOR forums, and many other forums. "
It's funny that nobody here seems to agree with you, though. "
Most people here are console gamers. "
Ugh. It's even worse than I thought. You're one of those people. 

I also love that your name is pretender15, which means that you're pretending like you know what you're talking about, and that you're 15, so you have no idea what it was like to actually play games in the 90s.
Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By Potter9156

Goddamn, I hate hipsters. 

matti00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By matti00
@CptChiken said:
" @matti00 said:
" I coined a term once. 'Hummercunt'. See if you can figure out what it means. "
is it people who hum incessantly?  Or  is it the technique of humming whiles performing cunnilingous?  or is it for humming birds that steal your precious nectar?  or is it for people who drive hummers? or  is it all of the above? "
Actually, the term for C is 'Hummingcunt', but I didn't coin that one.
sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By sjupp
@pretender15 said:
" @PrivateIronTFU said:
" @pretender15 said:
" @PrivateIronTFU said:

" Guess what? Games ARE better than they were in the 90s. Nostalgia fucks with your head. Everything seems better when you remember it. Probably because people like you were thinner and had more friends in the 90s. So obviously things are going to seem better than they are now. But they're not. "

Actually games in the 90s were better. We have this discussion multiple times a week over at the Steam forums, SW:TOR forums, and many other forums. "
It was pretty bad before, now it's completely terrible.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#55  Edited By TheGreatGuero
@pretender15 said:
" @TheGreatGuero said:
" Modern Warfare 2 was a great game. Let it go.  I'm not even one of those guys that plays it online every night, but I can't deny that it was a darn fine game. "
Oh believe me. It's terrible. "
And why should I believe you? What makes it terrible? 

Also... streamers are for BICYCLES!
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Jimbo
@Jack268 said:
" Two pages? This thread is way too mainstream and I hate everything mainstream because they can never contain something good. Threads were much better in the 90's when I browsed them on my 56k modem because it wasn't as mainstream then. Nevermind the fact that I couldn't load more than one thread per day. "
It was probably a pretty good thread though.  Better than this at least.
Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By Jack268
@Jimbo said:
" @Jack268 said:
" Two pages? This thread is way too mainstream and I hate everything mainstream because they can never contain something good. Threads were much better in the 90's when I browsed them on my 56k modem because it wasn't as mainstream then. Nevermind the fact that I couldn't load more than one thread per day. "
It was probably a pretty good thread though.  Better than this at least. "
Oh yeah, you really had to make that thread worthwhile
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By MysteriousBob
@pretender15 said:
" @PrivateIronTFU said:
" @pretender15 said:
" @PrivateIronTFU said:

Most people here are sensible, rational people. Its why although I may seem harsh with some people, I love this community. 

Oh and your green username clearly marks you as a either a fool or a troll. Both actually.

And games weren't better in the 90s. Take your nostalgia glasses off and see the reality. I doubt you're even old enough to remember the 90s.
pretender15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By pretender15
@PrivateIronTFU said:
" @pretender15 said:

" @PrivateIronTFU said:

" @pretender15 said:
" @PrivateIronTFU said:

Ugh. It's even worse than I thought. You're one of those people.  I also love that your name is pretender15, which means that you're pretending like you know what you're talking about, and that you're 15, so you have no idea what it was like to actually play games in the 90s. "
I'm 18.
TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#60  Edited By TehFlan

What are some of your favorite games from the 90's?

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#61  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

You sound pretty damn ignorant. 

Aha!  Troll!  I just thought you were a dumbass through ignorance not dickishness.

guthwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#62  Edited By guthwulf

Oh you.

pretender15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By pretender15
@TehFlan said:
" What are some of your favorite games from the 90's? "
StarCraft
Diablo
Total Annihilation
Descent
Descent 2
Descent 3
FreeSpace
MechWarrior 3
Star Wars: X-Wing vs TIE Fighter
Age of Empires
SWAT 3
Rogue Spear
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3 : Nemesis
Command & Conquer
Command & Conquer: Red Alert
Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun
Command & Conquer: Sole Survivor
Civilization 
Civilization II
Metal Gear Solid
Half-Life
Team Fortress Classic
Ricochet
Quake
Quake II
Classic Doom (Doom 1, 2, TNT, and Plutonia)
Warcraft II: Battle.net Edition
EarthSiege 2
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
GoldenEye (1997)
Perfect Dark
and others
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#64  Edited By Skytylz
@pretender15 said:
" @TehFlan said:
StarCraft Diablo Total Annihilation Descent Descent 2 Descent 3 FreeSpace MechWarrior 3 Star Wars: X-Wing vs TIE Fighter Age of Empires SWAT 3 Rogue Spear Resident Evil Resident Evil 2 Resident Evil 3 : Nemesis Command & Conquer Command & Conquer: Red Alert Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun Command & Conquer: Sole Survivor Civilization  Civilization IIMetal Gear Solid Half-Life Team Fortress Classic Ricochet Quake Quake II Classic Doom (Doom 1, 2, TNT, and Plutonia) Warcraft II: Battle.net Edition EarthSiege 2 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time GoldenEye (1997)Perfect Dark and others "
Look at all the sequels...  I don't know if you said it, but one of the points people brought up about games being better in the 90's was that today game companies are just sequel factories.  
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Xeiphyer

Elitist Hipster douchebaggg~

There are so many stupid things wrong with what you said.

You say you hate people that "think that video games are better now than they were in the 90s.", so therefore you must think videogames were better in the 90s. Then you say you hate people that are "strictly into mainstream stuff, and don't care about innovation"  So you care about innovation.

So, you are an Elitist Hipster douchebag hypocrite.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
@Xeiphyer said:
"So, you are an Elitist Hipster douchebag hypocrite. "

Hiptist Douchocrite.
pretender15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By pretender15
@Skytylz said:
" @pretender15 said:
" @TehFlan said:
StarCraft Diablo Total Annihilation Descent Descent 2 Descent 3 FreeSpace MechWarrior 3 Star Wars: X-Wing vs TIE Fighter Age of Empires SWAT 3 Rogue Spear Resident Evil Resident Evil 2 Resident Evil 3 : Nemesis Command & Conquer Command & Conquer: Red Alert Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun Command & Conquer: Sole Survivor Civilization  Civilization IIMetal Gear Solid Half-Life Team Fortress Classic Ricochet Quake Quake II Classic Doom (Doom 1, 2, TNT, and Plutonia) Warcraft II: Battle.net Edition EarthSiege 2 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time GoldenEye (1997)Perfect Dark and others "
Look at all the sequels...  I don't know if you said it, but one of the points people brought up about games being better in the 90's was that today game companies are just sequel factories.   "
The originals were 100x better imho.

I'm sorry if I came off as thinking I'm better than other people, that wasn't my intention.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@CptChiken said:
"THEY SUPPORT THE "COR" INDUSTRY, WITH OUT THE MONEY THEY BRING TO PUBLISHERS AND DEVELOPERS THEY WOULDNT HAVE THE MONEY TO DO INNOVATIVE THINGS.   Christ get out of your arse. "
i just did... thank you 
IcySandman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By IcySandman

Oh, let's just forget about any innovations in gaming that came from the 2000s, 90s is where it's at with my jetpacks that don't fucking work.  So awesome.  And I wonder what list you got all these games off of, wikipedia?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#70  Edited By MooseyMcMan

All I'm going to say is that Modern Warfare 2 is pretty fun (though I like Blops better), and that games are, in a lot of ways, better than they were in the 90s. 

pegasuswinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By pegasuswinks

DON'T DO IT GRANDAD! DON'T. FEED. THE TROLL!!

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Aronman789

I just read through this whole thread, and I think my brain just caved in. 

Is there a way to block people?

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
@Aronman789 said:
"Is there a way to block people? "

You have to position yourself in front of them and stick out your belly.
Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Aronman789
@BiffMcBlumpkin said:
" @Aronman789 said:
You have to position yourself in front of them and stick out your belly. "
OP doesn't seem like the type of person I want touching me.
FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By FreakAche

Thread of the year.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
@Aronman789 said:
" @BiffMcBlumpkin said:
" @Aronman789 said:
You have to position yourself in front of them and stick out your belly. "
OP doesn't seem like the type of person I want touching me. "

You can try using something like a Jersey barrier then, but he'll probably just walk around it.
pretender15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By pretender15
@IcySandman said:
" Oh, let's just forget about any innovations in gaming that came from the 2000s, 90s is where it's at with my jetpacks that don't fucking work.  So awesome.  And I wonder what list you got all these games off of, wikipedia? "
Some of my personal favorites. But I think Perfect Dark came out in 2000. I also forgot a few like Starfleet Academy.
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
@pretender15 said:

"  "streamers"To refer to all of the mainstream people who are obsessed with Modern Warfare 2 and think that video games are better now than they were in the 90s. You know, people who don't realize that companies purposely make games for the lowest common denominator. And other people who are strictly into mainstream stuff, and don't care about innovation, sub-culture, or niches. Oh and of course, they are all graphics whores. "

Look at this quote. How can you type this without the intention of making yourself seem better than other people? That is specifically what you intended, don't deny it.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#79  Edited By Karl_Boss

You're an idiot

pretender15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By pretender15
@PrivateIronTFU said:
" @pretender15 said:
"  "streamers"To refer to all of the mainstream people who are obsessed with Modern Warfare 2 and think that video games are better now than they were in the 90s. You know, people who don't realize that companies purposely make games for the lowest common denominator. And other people who are strictly into mainstream stuff, and don't care about innovation, sub-culture, or niches. Oh and of course, they are all graphics whores. "
Look at this quote. How can you type this without the intention of making yourself seem smarter than other people? That is specifically what you intended, don't deny it. "
No, I was under the impression everyone here would agree with me. Like they do on Steam and other PC gaming forums.
pretender15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By pretender15
@Unknown_Pleasures said:
" You're an idiot "
Does everyone who thinks differently from you constitute as an idiot in your book?
TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By TehFlan
@pretender15: I can't speak for a lot of those games, but there have been plenty of games in the past decade that were at least as good. For example, GoldenEye. I loved it ten years ago, but I played it again over the summer and it feels super clunky. I don't play a lot of FPS's, but even I can see that the genre has evolved. That's true for most genres and franchises. Plenty of other games on your list have been improved upon in the last decade. Starcraft 2 is an awesome game, far better than the original in terms of campaign. Civ V is amazing. MGS3 was my favorite in the series. And while I don't think any action-adventure game in the past decade has been as huge a leap as Ocarina as Time, even Wind Waker and Twilight Princess were just as good as games, not to mention other games in the genre, at least when looked at objectively. Of course, there's no accounting for taste and you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but saying gaming as a whole was better in the 90's is way too much of a generalization.

And more on-topic: Why Streamers? I'll never understand people's need to label others, but I find it fascinating to see why words are used how they are, and I'm curious as to what inspired you to chose this word in particular. People have already pointed out its flaws, but I'm sure you had your own rationalizations, so what were they?
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
@pretender15 said:
" @PrivateIronTFU said:
" @pretender15 said:
Look at this quote. How can you type this without the intention of making yourself seem smarter than other people? That is specifically what you intended, don't deny it. "
No, I was under the impression everyone here would agree with me. Like they do on Steam and other PC gaming forums. "
Well then, to quote Unknown_Pleasures: 

@Unknown_Pleasures said:
" You're an idiot "
pretender15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By pretender15
@TehFlan said:
" @pretender15: I can't speak for a lot of those games, but there have been plenty of games in the past decade that were at least as good. For example, GoldenEye. I loved it ten years ago, but I played it again over the summer and it feels super clunky. I don't play a lot of FPS's, but even I can see that the genre has evolved. That's true for most genres and franchises. Plenty of other games on your list have been improved upon in the last decade. Starcraft 2 is an awesome game, far better than the original in terms of campaign. Civ V is amazing. MGS3 was my favorite in the series. And while I don't think any action-adventure game in the past decade has been as huge a leap as Ocarina as Time, even Wind Waker and Twilight Princess were just as good as games, not to mention other games in the genre, at least when looked at objectively. Of course, there's no accounting for taste and you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but saying gaming as a whole was better in the 90's is way too much of a generalization. And more on-topic: Why Streamers? I'll never understand people's need to label others, but I find it fascinating to see why words are used how they are, and I'm curious as to what inspired you to chose this word in particular. People have already pointed out its flaws, but I'm sure you had your own rationalizations, so what were they? "
Everything nowadays is made for the lowest common denominator. Games like dungeon crawlers, survival horror, stealth, tactical shooters, and other such games no longer exist. Everything is created for the lowest common denominator.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By MikkaQ

Only if we can call the people who aren't streamers cunts. 

That's some seriously elitist bullshit, right there.

TBird13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By TBird13
@SuperSambo said:
"
No Caption Provided
"
At least the guy in red would agree with you.   

Relax, they're just video games.  People are allowed to like whatever they want.  Just enjoy life.  
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#88  Edited By buzz_clik
@TheGreatGuero said:
" Also... streamers are for BICYCLES! "
Honestly, this was my immediate thought. Chuck in some Spokey Dokes and we're really cooking.

Now, back to the task at hand: I'm 34, so I lived through all of the gaming splendour that the 90s had to offer. Was it awesome? At the time it was mind-blowing. Do I still love those games? I sure do, and I return to them on a fairly regular basis. Do I think games are better now than they were back then? Hell yes. If I could go back in time and give my Mega Drive obsessed teenage self an Xbox 360, you don't think I'd toss that 16-bit machine aside and lose my life to the new god?
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Karl_Boss
@pretender15 said:
" @Unknown_Pleasures said:
" You're an idiot "
Does everyone who thinks differently from you constitute as an idiot in your book? "
No I share your opinion that games from the 90s are better....but the difference is I don't try to demote people who like popular games and come off as an elitist douchebag like you.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#90  Edited By MysteriousBob
@pretender15 said:
" @Unknown_Pleasures said:
" You're an idiot "
Does everyone who thinks differently from you constitute as an idiot in your book? "
No, I'm betting he applies the term only to people who think they're somehow better than everyone else by not liking things that are popular.
Grelik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Grelik
@pretender15 said:
" @TehFlan said:

Weird how you listed nearly every mainstream game to come out in the 90's.  You sir,  are what you hate.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Karl_Boss
@MysteriousBob: exactly
pretender15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By pretender15
@Grelik said:
" @pretender15 said:
" @TehFlan said:
Weird how you listed nearly every mainstream game to come out in the 90's.  You sir,  are what you hate. "
So long as you people are willing to settle for less (Call of Duty 50), the process of overly standardized bullshit being released on the market will only continue.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#94  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'd call them douches, but that's not specific enough, since it includes you, as well.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

What do you think of this term I coined? Nostalgic Prick. It's a term for people like the OP who think there were absolutely no shitty games in the 90s. And doesn't ever provide evidence to support his claims.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By ArchScabby

I thought it was stupid before I even opened the thread and read what it was.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By buzz_clik
@Grelik said:
" Weird how you listed nearly every mainstream game to come out in the 90's.  You sir,  are what you hate. "
Gold.
Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Zimbo
@pretender15 said:

" @TehFlan said:

" @pretender15: I can't speak for a lot of those games, but there have been plenty of games in the past decade that were at least as good. For example, GoldenEye. I loved it ten years ago, but I played it again over the summer and it feels super clunky. I don't play a lot of FPS's, but even I can see that the genre has evolved. That's true for most genres and franchises. Plenty of other games on your list have been improved upon in the last decade. Starcraft 2 is an awesome game, far better than the original in terms of campaign. Civ V is amazing. MGS3 was my favorite in the series. And while I don't think any action-adventure game in the past decade has been as huge a leap as Ocarina as Time, even Wind Waker and Twilight Princess were just as good as games, not to mention other games in the genre, at least when looked at objectively. Of course, there's no accounting for taste and you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but saying gaming as a whole was better in the 90's is way too much of a generalization. And more on-topic: Why Streamers? I'll never understand people's need to label others, but I find it fascinating to see why words are used how they are, and I'm curious as to what inspired you to chose this word in particular. People have already pointed out its flaws, but I'm sure you had your own rationalizations, so what were they? "
Everything nowadays is made for the lowest common denominator. Games like dungeon crawlers, survival horror, stealth, tactical shooters, and other such games no longer exist. Everything is created for the lowest common denominator. "

The Witcher/ Dragon Age Origins/  or more accurately, Diablo 3. Silent Hill  / Amnesia, Splinter Cell / Hitman, ARMA / SWAT 4.

Should I go on?

Edit: Even World of Warcraft could be described as an evolution of the dungeon crawlers of olde.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By buzz_clik
@pretender15 said:
" So long as you people are willing to settle for less (Call of Duty 50), the process of overly standardized bullshit being released on the market will only continue. "
But it's not like great games aren't coming out next to these titles. Here's a tip: buy those instead of the mainstream stuff, don't panic so much about feeling the need to label things, and instead focus your attention on playing that rad game you just purchased. Hopefully you'll be too busy having fun to make snarky comments about people who like things that are different to you!
FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#100  Edited By FireBurger
@buzz_clik said:
" @pretender15 said:
" So long as you people are willing to settle for less (Call of Duty 50), the process of overly standardized bullshit being released on the market will only continue. "
But it's not like great games aren't coming out next to these titles. Here's a tip: buy those instead of the mainstream stuff, don't panic so much about feeling the need to label things, and instead focus your attention on playing that rad game you just purchased. Hopefully you'll be too busy having fun to make snarky comments about people who like things that are different to you! "
Boom.