What do you think of this term I coined?

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#201  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@beej:  COD since MW2 has sucked.  The SP experience is little more than 'push to the next objective while we spam enemies at you', the storyline in both games is laughable (though somewhat improved in Black Ops over MW2).  The MP experience is plain awful, point and shoot, spray n pray skill-less spam shooting.  The removal of lean means that you're constantly walking around like Rambo or camping in darker areas like a little bitch, neither of which are particularly skilled methods of play.  The notable methods of the way both games spawn you in the path of incoming or facing the back of enemies (or near enough to see them run towards or away from as you spawn) means that people get excessive kill rates without actually having the skill to match.  Weapons have almost no inertia or kick back.  The games are dumbed down, mainstream pap which focus on making players feel empowered while actually actually what they do is encourage cheap gameplay.  This kind of mainstream gameplay is bad for the industry because it has set a precedent where people have lowered expectations of themselves in terms of skill level.  It's bad for the industry because it also means that if other games require more of the player they may well be put into the too hard basket.
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#202  Edited By napalm

it was a mistake opening this topic. Oh god.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#203  Edited By FreakAche

I can't believe that:
a) Some people are defending this guy.
b) This hasn't been locked yet.

Avatar image for deactivated-5de441812a230
deactivated-5de441812a230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'd like to introduce you to a cleveland streamer, if you know what i mean.

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By beej
@Ragdrazi:  
1) I'm not accepting that demarcation as valid, as are at least a few other people here who've echoed that same sentiment, yes it exists, but I'd like to begin to break it down. This term only reifies that which has no real valid basis. Thus while my complaint should rightly be pointed at the creators of the demarcation that extends to this term.  
2) I'm not sure where it's proven that nobody in the mainstream cares for innovation, they may want it less than other people, but you're responding to my request for evidence by saying "it's proven elsewhere", maybe I'm dumb, or poorly read, but I fail to see that proven anywhere. Sure that's an argument I should take up with whoever proved it, but maybe pretender could cite a source there or something.
3) I'm not saying it implies something about pretender here, I'm saying that we have no good way to call someone the lowest common denominator. Saying he might be it, isn't a personal attack it's an example of what I'm trying to say.  While I appreciate that his term isn't = the existence of a lowest common denominator, if we have no good way of determining what a lowest common denominator  is then the term itself is kind of incoherent insofar as applicability is concerned.   
With regards to the innovation argument, it seems to me like you're missing my whole point about his contradiction (if the mainstream people don't want innovation then they wouldn't be a market for the kind of innovation he wants, so they aren't really hurting the cause) Also innovation in sequels to some of his favorite game has provoked ire in a lot of fans, look at diablo 3. What is considered innovation, or at least positive innovation, seems to exist only within an individual, which is fine, but it also means that trying to use a term as a slur based off of what's purely internal seems silly to me at best. Sure people do it, but I think it's kind of dumb. 

@SeriouslyNow:  Honestly, and maybe this is just me, I never really liked the single player experience in any of the Call of Duty games. Sure there are flaws with the way that game handles stuff, but it seems to me that with the advent of the net and distribution platforms like steam, games that do fulfill the desires of other people still exists.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#206  Edited By LiquidPrince

Video games are better now then they were in the ninety's...

cancerdancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#207  Edited By cancerdancer

Notice that pretender posted a question to the Goldeneye 007 board. A game truly made for the lowest common denominator.

Avatar image for theherbivorousbig
theherbivorousbig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pretender15 said:

"  "streamers"To refer to all of the mainstream people who are obsessed with Modern Warfare 2 and think that video games are better now than they were in the 90s. You know, people who don't realize that companies purposely make games for the lowest common denominator. And other people who are strictly into mainstream stuff, and don't care about innovation, sub-culture, or niches. Oh and of course, they are all graphics whores. "

@pretender15
 said: 

"I'm 18. "

You're adorable. 

Far too many people have taken this thread far too seriously.
Avatar image for weegieanawrench
weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#209  Edited By weegieanawrench

Well, few may agree with you, but you've certainly made yourself popular. Over 2000 views!

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#210  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

HIPSTER!!!!!! 

I hate elitest douche bag hipsters 

greennoodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#211  Edited By greennoodles

See, this is what happens when the crew doesn't post quick looks. Lock yourself in a room for one day and the kids go and break the internet. 

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@beej:  Sure, that's true but the mainstream console FPS games are mostly shit.  There's a valid complaint against them and people who support them.
Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By Famov
@SeriouslyNow said:
"There's a valid complaint against them and people who support them. "

The second part of that is absurd. Is there a valid complaint against people who watch American Idol or listen to Nickelback? I really don't think so and I'm not sure how you could seriously suggest it.

I play Halo like 'Rambo' with my younger cousin because it's fun, and I don't think I'm compromising the integrity of the medium by doing so.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By HitmanAgent47

They might think your streaming netflix or something.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By NTM
@keyhunter said:
"DOESN'T IT NOT? "

Does not is not?
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#216  Edited By Diamond
@pretender15 said:
" @TehFlan said:
" What are some of your favorite games from the 90's? "
Star Wars: X-Wing vs TIE Fighter
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
What?!?!  Tie Fighter was so much better than X-Wing vs Tie Fighter!
OOT?  LTTP was better.

What are you, some sort of mainstream newbie gamer?
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Famov:  Nickelback are not the mainstream anymore.  I think you missed a decade of music.  Your argument is broken.
FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#218  Edited By FreakAche
STREAMERS and CASUALS are DESTROYING GAMING!!!
Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By Famov
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @Famov:  Nickelback are not the mainstream anymore.  I think you missed a decade of music.  Your argument is broken. "

You apparantly don't listen to local Michigan radio. Which is fine, but my argument is rock solid entirely regardless of the relevance or correctness of my examples. 

To be honest I probably did miss a decade of music. The last time I knew anything about the current music scene, such as I ever did, people were still talking about 8 Mile.
wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#220  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

One thing I always noticed about hipsters is their strange attachment to the decade they were growing up in until they were ten. 

Like the middle aged (25-30) hipster that wears a scarf all the time, totally still digs on atari 2600 and stuff like that.  

They seem a little more laid back though. 

So here's the thing about video games and this whole mainstream thing that gets your panties all in a bunch:

SHIT DON'T CHANGE
 SHIT DON'T CHANGE

But you know there is this:

You want survival horror...
 You want survival horror...

Same as always there will be overhyped over-marketed mediocre games that come out,

but instead of whining about how there's nothing out there for the niche, sub-culture, fedora hat wearing whatever, seriously open up steam or something and actually try looking for some games because they are out there. Also, if you can put the pretentiousness aside and give them a chance, there are a lot of great mainstream games out there are well.

I always find it sad that people limit their game intake because of such silly self restrictions.

Dude, just go download Amnesia, steal one of your mom's xanax, and forget about everything for a bit.
 I played it for like an hour and a half and I had to stop. I love horror games but seriously, what the fuck? That game fucks with you on a personal level.

Or fallout new vegas. That's a pretty fun game too. I like to think of the bugs in the engine more as "features" or "challenges" like "Kill the giant radscorpion stuck sidways underground that will chase you forever until you kill it, but you can't kill it because it's underground"!

That's some good shit.
Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#221  Edited By Levio

I'm a streamer, I'm not ashamed of it at all.
 Streamers are excited by games that other streamers like.  We didn't choose to be like this, we were born this way.
It may seem like we are a small minority, but that's because most streamers don't admit it.  In fact we are about 10% of the population!
Sarah Palin is a streamer, it is said. 

rab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By rab13

If you just left the definition of the term as being "those who play mainstream games" it would have been fine.  Yes maybe most of these "streamers" are idiots, but not all of them so no need to insult everyone. 

However, people that flame others given the slightest chance should be known as "cun....(o wait no thats already used)".

Avatar image for giantbombiscool
giantbombiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#223  Edited By giantbombiscool

i've got a name for those losers who are only into lame subcultural indie games. "indian". 

i'm a streamer and proud. i'll kick your indian ass.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By ninjakiller

No Caption Provided
chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By chrissedoff
@pretender15 said:
I'm 18. "
you aren't even old enough to know what games were really like in the 90s. in 2000 you were eight. eight! get the hell out of here man.
chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By chrissedoff
@ninjakiller said:

"   

"

lol rollins, what an asshole, losing his shit and starting fights with 20 year old girls for no reason
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By Example1013
@beej: :Dude, you really made so much sense! I was thinking of jumping into this discussion, but you basically brought the argument to its logical conclusion.

I really have nothing I could seriously add to this thread, other than a pat on the back for beej.
jtmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By jtmosh

This is such a wonderful topic.

Wildfire570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#229  Edited By Wildfire570

I'd hate to break it to you but thats already been coined for another reason by the bombcast last year.

So gentlemen, are you a streamer or a downloader?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#230  Edited By TheHT
@chrissedoff: lol yeah. being an idiot to idiots just makes a bigger group of idiots.
NubMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By NubMonk

Keep trollin trollin trollin trollin

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By Example1013

Okay, I'm going to do something awful in this post.

@pretender15 said:

"  "streamers"To refer to all of the mainstream people who are obsessed with Modern Warfare 2 and think that video games are better now than they were in the 90s. You know, people who don't realize that companies purposely make games for the lowest common denominator. And other people who are strictly into mainstream stuff, and don't care about innovation, sub-culture, or niches. Oh and of course, they are all graphics whores. "

Alright. I can accept you spouting your opinions, such as saying that '90s games are better. To you, they are. But then turning around and acting like they're facts is something I'm not going to ignore, even though I probably should. You bring up this term "streamer" as an idea for a new insult to people who like mainstream games. You're looking down your nose at them. Do you think you're somehow smarter or wittier than everyone else? Guess what? Modern Warfare 2 was a popular game. You're not being clever; you think you are, but you're not. "Streamer" is, first of all, not that creative, second of all, already a term for a few other things, and third of all, too obscure to become a good reference. You could have at least said "mainstreamer", which isn't clever either, but it illustrates the point you're trying to highlight perfectly.

Also, you're not unique in your opinion. There are literally millions of people of all intelligences who think the same way you do; this mainstream hate has no originality to it; people were doing this in the 1960s, which is now half a century ago. Besides that, your points are factually wrong. You say that people in the mainstream don't care about innovation, but innovation is what has created the current mainstream. 8 years ago, Ghost Recon, a big-name tactical shooter, was popular. It, along with the genre, has generally fallen out. And the reason is because innovation stopped. Eventually, Ghost Recon was the same game put out, and any real changes just made the game worse. I played Advanced Warfighter and Advanced Warfighter 2. They were garbage.

And worst of all? You come in here with this mainstream hate, not realizing the hypocrisy of it. At the same time as you're looking to create a derogatory term for people who like mainstream things, you're attempting to create something that would enter the mainstream, i.e. a pop culture term. So in the very same post as you seek to demonize people who like mainstream games, you look to create a mainstream product yourself, inevitably looking for mainstream recognition while at the same time rejecting it, because that's so unique.

And by the way, no one's stopping you from going out and innovating yourself, instead of whining about a perceived lack of innovation on a gaming message board where nobody really cares what you have to say, nor is anyone stopping you from playing '90s games. There's also no rule forcing everyone else to just automatically agree with you and your interests. But keep posting your hate. I can't say I didn't enjoy this reply.
Levianth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By Levianth

Imagine there's no indie
It's easy if you try 
No innovation to slow us 
Our sales would reach the sky 
Imagine all the people 
Playing, all our games 

Imagine there's no consoles
It isn't hard to do 
Nothing to troll or fight for 
And no subscriptions too 
Imagine all the people 
Playing, all our games

You may say that I'm a streamer 
But I'm not the only one 
I hope someday you'll join us 
And the world will be as one 

Imagine no division
I wonder if you can 
No need for multi-platform games 
A brotherhood of fans 
Imagine all the people 
Sharing all our games

You may say that I'm a streamer 
But I'm not the only one 
I hope someday you'll join us 
And the world will play as one 

- The unwritten words to Imagine by John Lennon

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#235  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

No. NO. Not at all. You can't just remove half of a word and turn it into a shorter word. And also, it isn't evident from just hearing it. That sounds more like what my 7 year old cousin would call streakers.

Avatar image for theblindchessman
TheBlindChessman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pretender15 said:
To refer to all of the mainstream people who...  think that video games are better now than they were in the 90s. You know, people who... don't care about innovation. "
This is satire, yes?

Also congratulations, this thread is a bigger embarresment to video games than the Spike VGAs were.
Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheBlindChessman:  is that even possible?
Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Hmmm, on the one hand the op is a me-too anti mainstream idiot, on the other hand the mainstream right now IS fucking horrendous.

Who to side with?

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#239  Edited By MysteriousBob

I can't believe this thread is still active. 

From the consensus of "this guy is a hipster twat" I can safely say that this is the best forum on the internet. 

You guys are awesome.,

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By Karl_Boss
@MysteriousBob said:
" I can't believe this thread is still active.  From the consensus of "this guy is a hipster twat" I can safely say that this is the best forum on the internet.  You guys are awesome., "
I would say he's more of an old school elitist douchebag.
Avatar image for pediatricurology
PediatricUrology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't read beyond the first post .

Oh yeah? You're 15. lolol

pretender15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By pretender15

I told you this thread would take us places. I never said they were places you wanted to go.

pretender15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By pretender15
@beej said:
" @buzz_clik: Probably not, he was 8 when the 90's ended, so he's only gone back and played the good games. So no duh the generation looks great that way. "
I play both newer and older games, and have done so for several years. I fail to see what that has to do with anything though.
MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By MrSnow

hey some mainstream games are good.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By TwoOneFive

this is bullshit.... 

what makes a game like Modern Warfare 2 not as good or better than anything that came out in the 90s?! 

theres a good fucking reason that game sold so well. 

Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By Six

"trendy" ?

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By foggel

Clearly, your taste is superior.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By TwoOneFive

Can you please explain how MW2 is made for the lowest common denominator but is also one of the top selling videogames of all time? 
Seriously, it makes no fucking sense. 

There was good games in 90s.  
Theres plenty of games like those today on Xbox Live and PlayStation Network.  
But the best games today are definitely BETTER than anything else before.  
I don't understand what this mentality of your's is useful for. You sound like a total ass.  

I'm guessing you hate all modern music and wear a Led Zeppelin shirt everyday?

pretender15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By pretender15
@TwoOneFive said:
" this is bullshit....  what makes a game like Modern Warfare 2 not as good or better than anything that came out in the 90s?!  theres a good fucking reason that game sold so well.  "
Because it's the exact same thing as last year?
pretender15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By pretender15
@FoolishChaos said:
" @Ragdrazi said:
" @FoolishChaos said:
" @Ragdrazi said:
" @pretender15 said:

" @Ragdrazi said:

" @pretender15 said:
Sure. Ok. But why "Streamers"? "
main"stream" "
It sounds too nice. Streamers are great at parties.  I prefer "zombies".  Actually, truth is I prefer "video game hipsters." "
Dude, do you know what a hipster is?  In this case the OP is the video game hipster.   Zombies is closer to the shitty derogatory term the OP was going for "
Yes, I know the definition of hipster. I've met many, lived with many. I stand by my term. "
Lets take a look at Urban Dictionary. Here we go, hipster:  "  Hipsters are a subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture" OP, do you value independent thinking? I already know you are counter-culture, yours posts prove that. Now would someone who plays mainstream games be defined as independent thinkers? They could be, but their mainstream gaming wouldn't be a product of it. And they can't be counter-culture if they participate in the mainstream.  "
Yes, i value independent thinking. Do you?