What is your favorite joke or comedy bit?

• 75 results
liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By liquiddragon

Maybe you don't have a favorite but something that's really stuck in your head?

I've been obsessed with this moment from when Conan had the Tonight Show. You've probably seen it but I've been on a Norm binge lately and I keep coming back to this. The way ol' Norm MacDonald tell this simple joke, man, I don't think it gets better than this.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By ajamafalous

Holy shit, I literally came into the thread to post the moth joke.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The Patton Oswalt Bit about comedy magicians is one I saw live so it has always stuck with me:

Loading Video...
BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BrunoTheThird

Steven Wright's stuff always sticks with me. I always think of this one: "I put instant coffee in a microwave; I almost went back in time." He has tonnes, though, obviously.

One that I think is purely clever is the shortest joke in the world, which is two words, by Jimmy Carr: "Dwarf shortage."

I prefer comedy from shows or movies, though, like the credits of Police Squad episodes, or Blackadder back-and-forths:

Loading Video...

I laugh every time Kitty shows her boobs in Arrested Development. That show has tonnes of recurring jokes done real well.

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Norm MacDonald's roast of Bob Sagat for sure. Anyone could go on stage and tell old, corny jokes. Only Norm could make it genius.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@n00bs7ay3r: I believe you mean the King of Queens! Either way, good contribution!

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

I walked by a dry cleaner at 3 am and the sign said "sorry, we're closed."

"You don't have to be sorry, it's 3AM and you're a dry cleaner. It would be ridiculous for me to expect you to be open. I'm not gonna walk in at 10 AM and say 'hey man I walked by at 3 and you guys were closed... somebody owes me an apology!'"

-Mitch Hedberg

Loading Video...

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#9  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

@flashflood_29: Came in here to say Mitch Hedberg. Glad someone else beat me to the punch.

Favorite joke (in general, not related to Mitch Hedberg)? Two muffins are baking in an oven. One looks at the other one and says, "Gosh, it's hot in here." The other one screams, "Agh! A talking muffin!"

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

@sparky_buzzsaw: He's got so many good ones that I reference all the time and nobody ever gets. Whenever someone makes a knocking sound somewhere: "Go aarroundd!" Whenever a bad habit is mentioned. "I used to ______... I still do but I also used to."

For the life of me, though, I can't find the "3 honks," joke. I laugh my ass of at that one every time.

No Caption Provided

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Rejizzle
Loading Video...

So, this is a comedy group from Canada that was popular in the 80's. If you're familiar with "Boot to the Head" it's probably from that Pheonix Wright machinima from a few years back, but when I first heard this on CBC I literally had to pull my car over from laughter.

Loading Video...

Some of their newer stuff is pretty good too.

boatorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This bit just gets me. First the joke, then imagining trying to do it.

Loading Video...

grandCurator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Hannibal is a personal fave comic, but this joke always springs to mind.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first thing that comes to mind is an old Norm Macdonald joke about the murding your family for the devil. This was maybe the early to mid-90s...

I prefer the long game on jokes. I like a stand-up act that has several threads and pulls them together. Chappel’s recent Netflix stuff was good at that. I think my favorite’s are Eddie Izzard’s Definate Article and Dress to Kill. Those are perfect stand-up.

HoboZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man I Love standup, but the only thing that still consistently makes me laugh is who's on first. The timing, the mounting frustration, Costello's entire performance. I just love it.

Loading Video...

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if it's my favorite, but this Flight of the Choncords skit/song never fails to crack me up:

Loading Video...

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hobozero: that is legendary and I don’t mean to use it lightly. It’s timeless. I also love their skit with math. I’m sure you can YouTube it. I usually see it posted by one of my teacher friends on Facebook so I don’t have a direct link

One of my favorite bits is from Dumb and Dumber. Although I can quote that whole movie I love the banter when they’re in the hot tub and harry talks about his ex girlfriend dumping her. “She says I don’t listen to her enough. I dunno, I wasn’t paying attention” always gets me

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NTM

I don't have a favorite. Sometimes I'll just go on Netflix or what have you and try to find some stand-up. The last one I enjoyed was a recent one by Ricky Gervais. I enjoyed this part.

Loading Video...

Generally, anything that deals with something that one can relate to is always funny. I don't mind a bunch of swearing, but some can get a bit dark that I don't care for, like some jokes Bill Burr tells.

fledeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

”But there must've been a Death Star canteen, yeah? There must've been a cafeteria downstairs, in between battles, where Darth Vader could just chill...”

If you’ve never seen this bit by Eddie Izzard, you should watch it. Even if you’re like me and don’t really know your Star Wars from your Star Trek.

There’s a restaurant we occasionally go to that serves penne arrabiata and I chuckle every time one of us orders it.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Loading Video...

Let the 'Tussin get down to the bone

Avatar image for deactivated-63d5c454eb6aa
deactivated-63d5c454eb6aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fledeye: This one's wet, this one's wet, this one's wet...love eddie izzard.

Cure_Optimism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The entirety of Patrice O'Neal's "Elephant in the Room". Couldn't breathe after listening to that.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fledeye: Holy shit, thank you, good stuff!

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I really like this one:

Loading Video...

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By nutter

@fledeye: Eddie is my favorite comedian, far and away. I don’t enjoy most stand-up shows, as Ithink only a few really nail it (and most of them are dead, retired, or way past their prime).

I saw Eddie twice. Once was a week before my wife gave birth, three hours away from our hospital, with my wife.

And yeah, he can make anything funny. I love his old Dr. Who stuff and I’ve never seen a moment of Dr. Who.

fledeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter: Eddie and Ross Noble are my favourites. I’ve never been able to see Eddie live, but I’ve seen Ross a few times. I’ve seen Eddie’s trainset and eaten at a restaurant a few hours after he left though.

I like Eddie because he talks about things anyone can relate to. Another one of my favourite bits of his is him trying to print something and he’s totally me, turning the computer so it can see the printer!

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Best stand-ups I've seen live are Bill Bailey (going again in June), Ross Noble, and Dara O'Briain.

In terms of one routine from anything, I'm going with the "what time is it" routine from The Goon Show, series 7, episode 18, "The Mysterious Punch-Up-The-Conker".

Scene, Eccles and Bluebottle are in the ground floor attic of a local clock repairers. The scene opens with dozens of clocks chiming and going off at the same moment. Then a comedy horn, then silence before the first line:

Bluebottle: "What time is it, Eccles?"

Eccles: "Uh, just a minute, I've got the time written down here on a piece of paper. (pause for applause) A nice man wrote the time down for me this morning".

BB: "Wait a minute Eccles, my good man...it's writted (sic) on this bit of paper, what is eight o'clock, is writted"

E: "I know that my good fellow. That's right, when I asked the fella to write it down, it was eight o'clock"

BB: "Well then what happens if someone asks you the time and it isn't eight o'clock?"

E: "Well then I don't show it to them!"

(Pause)

BB: "Well, how do you know when it's eight o'clock?"

E: "Because I've got it written down on a piece of paper!

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

This joke is so simple but so good. The way it sets up expectation and then immediately defies it is nothing short of elegant, in my opinion.

Loading Video...

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By nutter

@fledeye: Maybe this is partly me being american (juggling multiple languages isn’t exactly our strong suit), but when he started performing entire sets in languages foreign to him, I couldn’t believe it.

Having enough charisma, understanding of a language, and feel for a culture to perform stand-up in foreign languages is mind-boggling to me. I get that he almost certainly makes mistakes (I can forgive this; again, american), but to pull off humor like that takes something special.

fledeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter:

I think the language thing is down to his background. He was raised in the UK, but he wasn’t born here and his family are originally French Huguenot which explains the French gigs.

He’s huge on Europe and was very anti-Brexit.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fledeye: I agree, but I have to imagine that successfully tailoring comedy, of all things, to multiple languages and cultures is a particularly difficult thing to accomplish. I want to say he’s mentioned being born in Yemem at some point.

I remember him announcing shows in French and German, but took a quick stop at wikipedia for some maybe-facts-maybe-nots. I came across this:

“Izzard speaks French well and has performed stand-up shows in the language; from 2014 he began to perform in German, Spanish, Russian and Arabic, all languages that he did not previously speak.”

So, it sounds like he maybe learned German, Spanish, Russian, and Arabic in his adult life and did stand-up in those languages. I don’t speak those languages to gauge his success, but that’s still a super cool and impressive thing to seek out.

He’s one of a very small number of celebrities I’ve thought about finding after a gig to just say “Hi, I appreciate what you do. Thanks.” When we saw him in a smaller venue, my wife was absurdly pregnant, so I thought better of it.

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By fatalbanana

@sparky_buzzsaw: @flashflood_29: You can fill this entire thread with Hedberg bits. His nervous energy and awkward delivery are so infectious that his jokes land in ways most comedians just can't match. Steven Wright is one of the only other comedians that can nail that one-liner style as well if not better then Mitch did.

Loading Video...

Dave Chapelle's bit about his white friend Chip is also a big stand out for me.

Loading Video...

Lumbermancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bowser Shrugged.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

obese_chipmunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

I really like early 2000s African American comedy and nothing get's me going more than Chappelle's infamous racial draft.

LittleWask

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By LittleWask

Probably the thing that makes me laugh the hardest, the most consistently:

No Caption Provided

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ichthy

A couple that I really enjoy:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#42  Edited By BoOzak

Does this count? (kind of cheating I know) Also, dont watch this if you havent seen The Wickerman, which I think is the next F&40's.

This is the the video that got me to watch Vampire's Kiss and a lot of other lesser known Cage films which I appreciate more than the video itself although I did think it was pretty funny if you have a high tolerance for yelling and swearing as I do. (but I think it's the music that makes it, and Cage of course)

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What happened to all the videos...

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Louis CK's bit about the deer never fails to make me smile, no matter how many times I hear it.

PeezMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I'm a sucker for a good running gag, so I've always been partial to the various Anne-related bits in Arrested Development (her? / getting her name wrong / not noticing her).

DarkeyeHails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

At the moment, it's a riff I made up in bar retellings of an old Garry Shandling joke. I know it's not 100% his, maybe that makes it worse.

"Women love me, women love to sleep with me. They just hate to fuck me."

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: I guess we are not allowed to embed videos because it can slow down the browser or whatever. I didn't really think about it.

In any case, I posted a video from the sketch show called Jam by Chris Morris. Because I love Chris Morris and couldn't think of anything better at the time.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Slaegar

@hobozero:

Seriously hard to beat this. Who's on first is so smart.

I really like this goofball, though.

Loading Video...