Was anyone else fooled by the "Year 1 Pass"?

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By haneybd87

I purchased the gold edition thinking that was the cheapest version that had all the DLC. Now after listening to the bombcast I find out it was just early access to everything. I feel pretty deceived by Ubisoft on this one. I know I should have researched it more but they knew what they were doing. Was anyone else fooled?

Just look at the page comparing editions on Uplay, that mouseover "Year 1 Pass" doesn't tell you it's only early access and clicking on it doesn't do anything. Microsoft's store similarly obfuscates this info as well. Sony however states it pretty plainly on their store and I guess if I had purchased it for PS4 I never would have made this mistake.

No Caption Provided

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Duder, I did the exact same thing. I got this edition because I remember the first ones Gold Edition was exactly that, it came with the DLC. Up until now I’ve always viewed the Ubisoft Gold Editions as “the version with all the DLC.” Far Cry and Assassins Creed trained me to think that way, because that’s how they worked.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#3 sweep  Moderator

Oh man, I'm super glad I waited. I was very tempted to get the gold edition after hearing all the great impressions from people playing early, but an extra $30 (over 50% of the cost of the game?) for 3 days early access and nothing else is fucking bananas.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The info has been on Reddit for a few weeks now and devs did clarify it when people asked about it. Sorry duders but you should have researched more before buying. But hey, you do get some extra cosmetic stuff and get everything 3 days early so... At least its not a total loss.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no, i actually look at what im buying before i spend money on it. i knew exactly what the gold edition had.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By haneybd87

@mems1224: I did look at it but if you look at that picture I posted it doesn’t say anything about Year 1 Pass being useless. I guess I have to research things beyond the store I’m buying it from now since they like to get deceptive about things. I get that the devs came out and said the DLC was free to everyone but I never saw that news, I just trusted the store. Which store did you buy from? If it was PS4 they made it more obvious.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haneybd87: bought it on the Xbox store but I Googled what the differences were before I bought it. Never bother looking at any of the online stores because they're all so awful to navigate.

Fawkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, I thought it was a regular Season Pass. I had no reason to assume it wasn't.

Also the Ultimate Edition comes with the "Elite Agent Pack" which is advertised as having additional stash space, but it actually just gives you one of the stash perks unlocked from the start, so you don't actually get any additional space, you just get access to it earlier.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Yeah from the information on that page i would make the same mistake. The information might be out there online, but this is still an official table that's meant to inform the customer of what they're getting and in that aspect this fails. It shouldn't be hard to make sure that all the information is there on the page.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Not a fan of some of the replies here. Ubisoft special editions are a mess and have been for a long time and whilst the information is out there it is jot super clear, especially at the point of sale. I myself was only 100% clear once jeff explained it on stream

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I didn't buy the Gold Edition because I remembered that I bought Gold for the first game then never played any of the DLC anyway. However, I also thought the Year 1 Pass gave access to the Div 2 DLC, so it got me too. In the end I guess I'm very glad I got the normal edition!

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I believe you also get instant access to the additional Specializations that are releasing throughout the year. If you bought the Standard Edition you have to earn them through gameplay of some sort.

But yeah, I'm not a fan of all the different editions games release in these days. I'm really not a fan of the "early access". Early access my ass. The actual release date was 3/12, but if you buy the lowly Standard Edition we're going to push your release date back a few days as punishment. Maybe it's the cynic in me.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FrodoBaggins

Im sorry to hear about this. Seems shitty, and is actually fucking insane to spend that kind of money to play a couple days early and for some reason it really pisses me off that they do this. I do have to say though it isn't a mistake I would have made. I thoroughly check before I buy something.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By musclerider

Whoopsie doodle.

I've been more than happy to buy the DLC passes for Ubisoft games before (Rainbow 6 and For Honor specifically) so I bought this assuming I was getting the same kind of deal. Especially since they use the same terminology as all their other games.

This one's on me for sure but holy heck.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It really does feel like they could've been clearer about exactly what they were selling you. I could see it potentially being in violation of the stricter consumer protections out there given there is a reasonable expectation that a yearly pass is made up of one years worth of extra content at this point. Then again, I'm not a Mr Law Pants Person or anything.

deckard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The early access thing may be the most advertised item on the Year 1 Pass but supposedly there’s going to be more intangible and TBA benefits. Exclusive missions, bounties, projects, etc. it’s just that Ubisoft didn’t explicitly mention like they did with the DLC situation.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I did not buy this game yet since i have a lot of other games in my backlog, but yeah that is some real bullshit with the "year 1 pass" wording. Reading that i would totally assume that is a season pass for the first year. But as others have said its worth googling any edition of a game before you buy nowadays. Because its usually crap that is already in the game but given earlier in the story, or cosmetics and maybe a throw away mission, but obviously worded to entice people to pre-order or buy the special edition. I totally get buying a special edition for a cheaper season pass, but it looks like someone at Ubisoft marketing got creative with there wording and are going to piss off a lot of people.

ltcolumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I came to this thread expecting to think “well, he just didn’t read before he spent his money,” but honestly, this seems pretty lousy. In what way does “Year One Pass” indicate early access to the game?

It’s fair to say that maybe the buyer should have done more research, but it’s also fair to say that that’s clearly a deceptive name, and it justifies you jumping to the conclusion that it included DLC that would be released this year. I’d be pissed too. Good Lord. What a bunch of jerks.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By mike

I came to this thread expecting to think “well, he just didn’t read before he spent his money,” but honestly, this seems pretty lousy. In what way does “Year One Pass” indicate early access to the game?

I had the same reaction. We've seen a lot of these topics over the years but this is on another level of shittyness.

MovieFlask

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I got duped. I feel dumb that I didn't research, but after the first game with the paid DLC, I assumed this was the same. Listed to the podcast and now feel really dumb. Lesson learned. Maybe Ubi will make good on it and give Gold members any Year 2 paid DLC or something.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#21  Edited By Humanity

While I sympathize with people I’m also surprised how many would spend extra money on something without being 100% clear on what it is they are getting.

EDIT:

I'll say this, the info is not easy to find on the US store for some reason. I'm currently living in europe and unfortunately all websites always launch in the langauge version of the country I'm currently living in - cool for locals and not so cool for me when I prefer everything in english. Well on the local country website the Year 1 Pass is right there front and center on the Division 2 homepage with an image that tells you exactly what is in it. On the US website that slot is replaced with "Game Details" and in fact even if you go to the News section there is no mention of the Year 1 Pass anywhere. By going to the Ubisoft store I finally found the Year 1 Pass as a clickable item and a graphic describing what it is

Link:

https://store.ubi.com/us/tom-clancys-the-division-2---year-1-pass/5c769c5e0c8ee4ff79714577.html?lang=en_US

So yah, it's obfuscated, at least on the english language website. That said: you [presumably] work hard for your money, so always double check what it is you are spending it on. The days of consumer friendliness are long behind us and it is unfortunately a necessity to shield yourself from situations like these - no one else is going to do it for you.

No Caption Provided

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By haneybd87

@humanity: Strange that you were able to find it on the store. Even after the fact knowing what I was looking for I could only find that info on a Ubisoft support article. It was hard to figure out even when searching specifically for what the year 1 pass entails. Also, that image doesn’t say anything about the standard edition getting the DLC for free. You could read that and think that you get the DLC by purchasing it and 7 day early access to it (as opposed to just buying the DLC packs separately or whatever). Basically, they made it hard to figure out even for those trying to find out what the pass entails and that’s pretty shitty.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By nutter

Yeah, that’s a bummer. I usually do research that’s more or less limited to looking at the page on Steam/Live/PSN and MAYBE googling some of it if I have a question. So I totally get how this is misleading at best and on Ubisoft to make right.

I’d treat it as a fool me once and be more careful with Ubisoft games. Whether it was intentionally vague, old information that was never properly updated, or whatever, their information steered you wrong.

I’m super cagey of 2K games after issues I’ve had with them where my son can’t play their games because they know what content he should play better than his father. No amount of customer support would get me a refund or allow my kid to bypass an age gate to an online-only game.

Lesson learned: I tend to avoid 2K games now.