Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gearbox Software LLC

Company »

Gearbox is a company best known for their early work on the Half-Life series, WWII video game series Brothers in Arms, Borderlands and Duke Nukem Forever.

Am I crazy, or Gearbox is crazy?

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm no business genius, but it feels like there should be a Next Gen Borderlands at this point

What the hell Gearbox? Why chase the MOBA money? Why are you wasting time and resources with BattleBORING!?

>:I

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Battleborn is your next gen Borderlands, it just evolved so much it turned into a MOBA. Sorry.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike said:

Battleborn is your next gen Borderlands, it just evolved so much it turned into a MOBA. Sorry.

it just de-evolved so much it turned into a MOBA :(

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gearbox's decision to invest what seems like a fair amount of cash in an already very saturated market (which contains very successful F2P games, mind you, whereas Battleborn is a fully priced product with a season pass) is pretty damn puzzling.
    That's not even talking about it's choice of release date, which can either be chalked up to poor decision making or just plain bad luck. Dark Souls 3 just came out, Overwatch is on the horizon and will be having it's pretty anticipated open beta during Battleborn's release, and Doom is also a video game that is coming out. Who is going to be buying/playing Battleborn?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

A Borderlands 3 is in development. Battleborn is alright. Your ''Battleboring'' wordplay should be cause for a permanent ban.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Borderlands? More like Bored-of-lands.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pshh! More like More-derlands! (not to be confused with Mordorlands, the ill-conceived LOTR crossover)

But yeah, we'll get our Borderlands 3. And hopefully at least one further sequel just for the "4derlands" jokes.

Iodine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge said:
    @clairvoyantvibrations said:

Pshh! More like More-derlands! (not to be confused with Mordorlands, the ill-conceived LOTR crossover)

But yeah, we'll get our Borderlands 3. And hopefully at least one further sequel just for the "4derlands" jokes.

oh dear god

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

@donpixel said:

I'm no business genius, but it feels like there should be a Next Gen Brothers in Arms at this point

What the hell Gearbox? Why chase the MOBA money? Why are you wasting time and resources with BattleBORING!?

>:I

Fixed. ;)

Well to be fair Gearbox is more or less working on the fourth game but it looked like it needed other devs to help out.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Screw Borderlands, where's the next Brothers in Arms game?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60061752a57
    deactivated-5e60061752a57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best Gearbox game was made by Telltale.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#13 FinalDasa  Moderator

They announced a handful of months ago they were looking to staff up for Boderlands 3. I'd say that's a 2017 release? Maybe 2018?

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know people like to hate Gearbox but Borderlands games are still mighty entertaining (Not on Vita though, euughhh). BL2 was preferable at least mechanically for me. Hope they'll change things up in some interesting ways for BL3 but i'm still looking forward to it.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They already released the collection on new platforms to buy time. With Battleborne out of the way this spring I wouldn't be surprised if we see a Borderlands 3 announcement during E3 or some other convention.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By OurSin_360

Im sure when the game was in development they had no clue how saturated the market would get.

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would be interested in a new borderlands game. I don't believe I am in another moba. I already have mine picked, and even then I barely play these days. If I were to play a moba I would just go back to the one I like the most...unless this other game did something truly special

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Maybe the series needed a break? Don't people complain when developers shovel out sequel after sequel? There's been a lot of changes in the loot shooter scene since BL2. Namely, Destiny and The Division. There's probably a lot of different cases on how a Borderlands game should be made today. Also, I don't think that just because they decided to make something else, that it means the thing you want them to make isn't in development. They're not an indie studio.

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The puns are out of control. This whole thread should be set aflame.

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trilogy: I'm with you. Let the philosophy of a loot-shooter marinate at Gearbox and see what they can develop. I would love to see some innovative stuff brought to the genre on their next attempt.

Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well they did put out Duke Nukem Forever and Aliens: Colonial Marines. Crazy is certainly a word you could use.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

@audiobusting said:

@thephantomnaut: Huh, I just read on this wiki page and Wikipedia that Battleborn is literally a Next Gen Band of Brothers.

Originally set to be published by Ubisoft and be part of the Brothers in Arms series, the title eventually became an independent intellectual property for Gearbox Software. The project was ultimately cancelled by Gearbox in July 2015, with many of the gameplay elements transferred to another project, Battleborn.

Furious 4 is not part of the Matt Baker story canon. A fourth Brothers in Arms game was reported to be in the works.

Also from the Wikipedia page:

On July 16, 2015, Pitchford revealed that Furious 4 "is not a thing anymore".[11] Many elements of the game were inherited by and transferred to Battleborn, which is a new intellectual property from Gearbox.[12] The company also announced that they were working on a new "authentic" Brothers in Arms video game, and was seeking additional help from external developers.[13]

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@thephantomnaut: oh cool, thanks for the correction. I didn't notice the bit with another game in the planning phase there. It was a little confusing since the site's wiki pages were a little outdated. Game development is weird. I feel like I can put up a conspiracy string board for this whole thing.

mavs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@mike said:

Pretty much where that game is headed tbh...

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Screw Borderlands, where's the next Brothers in Arms game?

Finally we are talking.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#27  Edited By monkeyking1969

Why do I have to choose?

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i dont wanna throw any names out there or nothing but yes on a sliding scale you are definitely more mental than Gearbox

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe the skill points will do more than add a 0.5% stat increase this time!?

I really like the base gameplay of Borderlands, but playing through BL2 recently reminded me how repetitive and dull it gets because of how long it takes to get anything worthwhile out of leveling up.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would be excited for another Borderlands if...

No, I'm not coming up with anything.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

There aren't enough internet memes that haven't already been used in BL2 for a BL3.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I ended up having a lot more fun with the Battleborn beta than I expected. Is it crazy that they're releasing that game so close to Overwatch? Yes. Is it really even all that similar to Overwatch? Not really other than being first person and having over the top characters. I hope the game doesn't end up like Evolve, it certainly doesn't deserve that.

@teddie said:

Maybe the skill points will do more than add a 0.5% stat increase this time!?

I really like the base gameplay of Borderlands, but playing through BL2 recently reminded me how repetitive and dull it gets because of how long it takes to get anything worthwhile out of leveling up.

The leveling system left a lot to be desired certainly. Getting nothing for levels 1-4? Not super fun. Having to use your first skill point to unlock your action skill? A waste of time.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The only part of Borderlands that I like is that you can play with your friends. The actual game and handling is pretty rough IMO.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@matatat said:

The only part of Borderlands that I like is that you can play with your friends. The actual game and handling is pretty rough IMO.

I felt that way for a good chunk of my time with the first one and Pre-Sequel (ignoring the port issues on the first one), but loved the hell out of the second one. I think the thing that really made it all click for me was finding a class I actually enjoyed from the get-go. Zer0 was a ton of fucking fun.

That said, with the large variety of characters in Battleborn, maybe there's one or two or three that I'd have a blast playing as. But given how little I enjoyed of my time with it in the beta, I'm not really interested in even bothering to find the "battleborn" that would click with me, if it even existed.

There's a weird sort of detachment between you as a player and the enemies. Like your attacks don't really have much punch to them. It's kinda like the MMO thing where you're just standing around hitting each other and the only tell is health bars going down. Borderlands had a bit of that too, but it was still more punchy than this. Destiny or Left 4 Dead, their weapons have impact. Shooting stuff just feels fuckin great. And just the general movement in Battleborn feels so slow. It's this colourful, vibrant, and stylized world, and it moves so sluggishly.

I dunno, this game seems like a real weird outing for Gearbox. Good on them for trying something new I guess, but I don't know how much that counts for if they don't end up with something great.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

They announced a handful of months ago they were looking to staff up for Boderlands 3. I'd say that's a 2017 release? Maybe 2018?

If they announced staffing for Borderlands 3 a handful of months ago (it was a pax or two ago), then there is no way it's 2017 release.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're working on it. But devs need to work on other things also. Get other ideas out of their heads, work on new things.

Man, Destiny and Division have made me want Borderlands 3 so much more though. I'll be happy to see it in 2018 or whatever.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#37 FinalDasa  Moderator

@ssully said:
    @finaldasa said:

If they announced staffing for Borderlands 3 a handful of months ago (it was a pax or two ago), then there is no way it's 2017 release.

Oh jeez, it was January of last year o.O

Time flies.

Maaaaaaaybe end of 2017 then?

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

A Borderlands 3 is in development. Battleborn is alright. Your ''Battleboring'' wordplay should be cause for a permanent ban.

Battlesnoring??

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Border...h..hands? Uhh...S...Shorter...mans?

I can't compete in this game of word play. Y'all are too much.

Also I would love a Borderlands 3 if it had a rad class. First one had the Siren with the whole "phase out of existance and explode into reality" thing which was awesome, and then 2 got the Mechromancer which is easily my favorite class. Pre-sequel was okay, only really played the guy with the drones.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.