Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

God of War III

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Mar 16, 2010

God of War III puts players back in the role of Kratos to continue his brutal and bloody war against Olympus as he sets his sights on Zeus himself.

Action Figures of War

MostlyHeadless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By MostlyHeadless

So I played a bunch of GOW3 last night, and while I am genuinely enjoying it I am finding the graphics a little distracting. 

All the characters look like they are toys. Very, very well rendered and convincing toys. But toys none the less. It's partly the way they shine like plastic and partly in the animations but I cant get over the feeling that I am interacting with a bunch of action figures.  

Which isn't to say that I think that the graphics are bad, far from it. These toys look REAL. I almost feel like I could put my hand through the screen and manipulate them myself manually. I'm just having a hard time taking the game seriously when I feel like a 10 year old manipulating a bunch of action figures. 

Anyone else notice this or am I the lone crazy person in the room?

P.S.   - Aside from this minor complaint the game is fantastic and oh... OH so epic.  
    Great Game. Ten out of Ten. Please don't flame me to death

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By TwoOneFive

its a videogame. if it looked entirely real to you, it would be way crazier. graphics in general, as they stand today, always look about as detailed as an action figure. by the time they look completely life-like, it will be like virtual reality. 

MostlyHeadless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By MostlyHeadless

It's a videogame?!?! Holy Crap, you just blew my mind!!! 

I'm not expecting it too look real, but the plastic-like nature of the graphics in GOW3 in particular are totally pulling me out of the illusion. I feel like I'm playing "Toy Story: Mass Murder and Mythology Edition" or a really intense, less funny episode of "Robot Chicken".

Ecinsiefil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Ecinsiefil

Wow, really? I thought Zeus looked a bit plastic but Kratos, in my opinion, looks fantastic.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By RsistncE

I think what you're trying to say is it all looks very much like CG. It's incredible that the cut scenes all use the game engine because it looks so damn good.

blackbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By blackbeard
    @MostlyHeadless: your crazy... but thats ok ;) 

I think part of why they look a bit like action figures is because the characters in GOW III (or any hack-and-slash) are (in most scenes) shown at that relative size as opposed to FPS's where everyone is usually at a more lifelike size (with more life like textures and clothes (optional in GOW III ;)). 

It's more a style thing and each game, of course, has its own.
    Avatar image for therealdhenshaw
    therealdhenshaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By therealdhenshaw

I felt the same way about Gears of War II. To me the first Gears of war felt way more real than the second one. However, I agree that Kratos looks fantastic. I just think that it's going to take some time for the developers to figure the rendering out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.