Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

God of War III

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Mar 16, 2010

God of War III puts players back in the role of Kratos to continue his brutal and bloody war against Olympus as he sets his sights on Zeus himself.

Can we just discuss the ending? (Obvious spoilers)

Avatar image for shalashaskauk666
    ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666

In a way I quite like it, but I dont think the last words of what is potentially the last game in th series should have been 'you disappoint me, Spartan', I would have much preferred Kratos' last words of 'my vengeance ends now' or whatever he said. 

All in all tho I just didnt feel a sense of closure (which could be intended), it just seemed like they had 2 cram alot of revelations into about 5 minutes, with the Pandora's Box explanation, then Kratos looking like he was gonna kill Athena, but gutted himself instead, it just didnt feel like a well played out ending to what is shown to be quite an epic story. 

What did u guys think?

Signpost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Signpost

Well the devs have already said they had an entire epilogue planned but had to be scrapped due to time.  It seems like it wasn't meant to just end as abruptly as it did but they had to make due.  Hopefully the talks of the epilogue being released as free-DLC come to pass and we can see the ending they had originally planned to release.

ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666
    @Signpost: Oh really?? Thats awesome!!! :D
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ryanwho

He tried killing himself and failed. 
    Actually no, the after the credits thing was just a red herring. They couldn't not put something like that in. Chances are, though, next time you see Kratos you'll be fighting him, if I had to guess. 
    If I could dabble in fanfic real quick, the next game would be one of two things if I were in charge (so be glad Im not?) 
    Kratos created a power vacuum and the north gods (Odin, etc) move in to take over. 
    You play a masked man who has a grudge with Kratos and it turns out to be Hercules. 
    That's where I'd go from here. That way the "trilogy" is over and the next thing is different enough to not be counted in it. 
    My thought would be they could both happen, then Kratos and Hercules decide the world would be better off if they killed all the gods. Then they can tear through Babylon and Egypt and have a good ol time.

ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666
    @ryanwho said:
    " He tried killing himself and failed. Actually no, the after the credits thing was just a red herring. They couldn't not put something like that in. Chances are, though, next time you see Kratos you'll be fighting him, if I had to guess. "
    I was thinking that 2, if they do a spinoff where you play as his brother and work your way up to fighting Kratos, would be pretty sweet!!
    Ecinsiefil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ecinsiefil
    @ryanwho said:
    " He tried killing himself and failed. Actually no, the after the credits thing was just a red herring. They couldn't not put something like that in. Chances are, though, next time you see Kratos you'll be fighting him, if I had to guess. If I could dabble in fanfic real quick, the next game would be one of two things if I were in charge (so be glad Im not?) Kratos created a power vacuum and the north gods (Odin, etc) move in to take over. You play a masked man who has a grudge with Kratos and it turns out to be Hercules. That's where I'd go from here. That way the "trilogy" is over and the next thing is different enough to not be counted in it. My thought would be they could both happen, then Kratos and Hercules decide the world would be better off if they killed all the gods. Then they can tear through Babylon and Egypt and have a good ol time. "
    I like these ideas. Especially the Norse Gods thing.

To be honest, I don't think Sony Santa Monica would have gone to all the trouble of eliminating almost every single major character who posed a threat to Kratos just to continue with the Ancient Greek thing. My guess we'll see maybe one more God of War-as-we-know-it game on PSP, and then the source material will change.
    RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By RobotHamster

I liked it, the trail of blood obviously means theres more to come.  Maybe with the world gone to shit and pandora's power released, kratos might actually try and fix everything and put it back in order while dealing with the leftover monsters and gods (maybe of other cultures).  End of the trilogy, maybe the end of kratos, but there will be more to come from god of war.

Signpost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666
    @Signpost said:
    " @ShalashaskaU: http://kotaku.com/5493043/if-cut-god-of-war-iii-ending-returns-as-dlc-it-would-be-free "
    Well thats good news!! As much as I hate DLC, having for free and not a particularly necessary part of the story, just an extension, is pretty freakin cool!! Plus th story on IGN is that there is a teaser site set up for what could be GoW 4. 
    So far the site is just a moving image of some water, but obviously when Kratos fell off the cliff post-credits (if that is what happened), then he would have landed in some water, and the announcement of GoW 4 could be Kratos bursting out the water!!
    MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By MildMolasses
    @ryanwho:
    I don't know how Hercules could come back with a grudge. I'm pretty sure that I turned his face to mush and left him dead in the sewers. Good times. 

What I noticed more about the epilogue wasn't so much the blood trail as it was the sun breaking through the clouds. I took that as meaning that the time of gods ruling over man was coming to an end and a brighter future was beginning. 

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RsistncE
    @ryanwho said:
    " He tried killing himself and failed. Actually no, the after the credits thing was just a red herring. They couldn't not put something like that in. Chances are, though, next time you see Kratos you'll be fighting him, if I had to guess. If I could dabble in fanfic real quick, the next game would be one of two things if I were in charge (so be glad Im not?) Kratos created a power vacuum and the north gods (Odin, etc) move in to take over. You play a masked man who has a grudge with Kratos and it turns out to be Hercules. That's where I'd go from here. That way the "trilogy" is over and the next thing is different enough to not be counted in it. My thought would be they could both happen, then Kratos and Hercules decide the world would be better off if they killed all the gods. Then they can tear through Babylon and Egypt and have a good ol time. "
    Kinda hard to wear a mask without a head, don't ya think?
    Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Daniel
    @ShalashaskaUK666: I didn't like the final words either, they were kind of lame. I would have preferred something bad-ass like, "The reign of the gods is at an end".
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By TwoOneFive

playing as the brother and working towards killing kratos would be gay, you cant simply kill kratos. only kratos can kill himself.  if all it took was for his brother to kill him, he could have done it a bunch of times when kratos was in the underworld. 

what about co-op god of war?

Ramyun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Ramyun

To be honest, I thought the end was real cheesy; especially the part where Kratos comes back from 'death' because of HOPE!! Ugghh..... Though I did really enjoy the trippy fear dream sequence, mainly coz it reminds me of Max Payne. 

Also: First person hack n slash!!!!!

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ArchScabby

It should have ended with Kratos taking some Riddlin, and when he finally calmed the fuck down he sat down to read a book.

Ramyun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Ramyun
    @ArchScabby:  Psst, apparently it's found inside the chest cavity of Zeus. "Zeus! You can no longer hide behind the skirts of Athena! WHERE MY RIDDLIN??!!"
    Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Cerza

I agree that the ending could have been done better, but overall I liked it. I thought it made sense and was fitting for Kratos and who he is. As underwhelming as Athena's last words were I thought they were fitting for her and fitting for the Gods in general since they were just using the mortals in an effort to achieve their own ends the entire time. Again, it could have been done better and it definitely left something to be desired and made me a little angry. However, it was fitting and I hope they don't make another God of War with Kratos and the Greek pantheon. I hope that if they do another God of War it will be completely different and deal with a completely different main character and pantheon of Gods, because I feel the existing cast and formula has gotten stale.

RavenX302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By RavenX302

I kind of wished for a better ending.As a matter of fact I wish the finally 3 hours or so were much more better. I felt the attempt to have Kratos show some emotion and smypathy came from basically no where an was very underwhelming to say the least. Really... the ending is fine and for any number of other games it would have been nice and sweet. Unfortunately I can't help but feel the ending was lacking any kind of greatness due to the fact that this is apparently the last Kratos game. Also, the explanation of what happened was so F-ing tacked on it wasn't even funny, though it does sound like Sony just didn't give Santa Monica enough time to finish with a proper ending so hopefully we will see future DLC for a proper send off of this character.

It seemed to me the very final scene after the credits was simply Sony wanting to make sure that they can have some half-assed unexplained ending in which they can make another God of War game. Even though I would love to see another game like this trilogy by a studio as talented as Santa Monica,  I can't see it being interesting if they simply recycle Kratos and THESE Greek themes again and again. But that is just my two cents...Everyone feels different about these things.

broqz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By broqz

i asssume most people that played and beat this game also played the first two.  i was kinda hoping the overall ending would tie into some of the wall painting in the fates temple from the second one.  if you rmember it kinda showed a three story in a few painting that sorta (imo) was hinting at the end of the greek god pantheon (polytheisim) and the start of modern religion (monotheisim).  one of the pictures seemed to show the three wise men following the star of bethleham (maybe?)   
    now i'm not saying they were going to try and say kratos is jesus or anything but it hinted at something along those lines. 
    was kinda disappointed the ending didn't really deal with that.  maybe that's what athena ment when she said "they wont know what to do with it"  i assume she means the hope that kratos had in him from pandoras box that then he released when he died instead of giving it to athena?  that without her we (the mortals) wont know what to do with hope. 
    i guess this is the disjionted story arch you get when you have a diffrent lead for each game???

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.