Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

God of War III

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Mar 16, 2010

God of War III puts players back in the role of Kratos to continue his brutal and bloody war against Olympus as he sets his sights on Zeus himself.

Do you agree with the review?

• 96 results
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

Personally, im not really sure if I agree with the review. Personally, I think it maybe shoudl have been a 5 out of 5. Although, I guess the review isnt surprising because the crew didnt seem very hyped for it. What do you think? Im not saying Ryan is blatantly wrong, im just saying I dont agree with it.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

It follows the formula and doesn't stray much from it. If they deem that enough of a criticism to warrant dropping a star then sure; it is true after all.

Not sure if I agree 100% on the actual score (despite it being very good), but Ryan's review was pretty spot on.

Edit: Though, unlike a lot of other people, I enjoyed it immensely from start to finish...so there's that.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Gabriel
    @GetEveryone said:
    " It follows the formula and doesn't stray much from it. If they deem that enough of a criticism to warrant dropping a star then sure; it is true after all.  Not sure if I agree 100% on the actual score (despite it being very good), but Ryan's actual review was pretty spot on. "
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By Yummylee

Haven't played it yet, but the critiscms sound to be reasonable enough for such a score.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By natetodamax

Because a 4/5 obviously means the game is crap and the reviewer has no clue what they're doing. 

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Yukoei
    @natetodamax: Yessir! Uhh...scratch that >_>
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By beargirl1
    @natetodamax said:
    " Because a 4/5 obviously means the game is crap and the reviewer has no clue what they're doing.  "
    clearly. 
    Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Hamst3r

Look at your avatar.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By EVO

First Heavy Rain, now this. If they're not deserving of 5 stars, I dunno what is.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#10  Edited By the8bitNacho

I agree wholeheartedly.  The God of War formula works, but  the developers are just staying too safe with it, and not doing a whole lot to move it forward.  The review read fine, which is the important part of the entire thing.  And, if Ryan felt that the game didn't deserve a "perfect" score, then it didn't from the perspective of the reviewer. 

This (mostly) doesn't apply to Giant Bomb, but it seems that everyone believes a site's official review to be voicing the opinions of the entire staff and community and immediately feel the need to raise their torches and pitchforks.  It lacks and extreme amount of logic. 

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#11  Edited By AgentJ
    @natetodamax said:
    " Because a 4/5 obviously means the game is crap and the reviewer has no clue what they're doing.  "
    Right-o. (Places monicle)
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Ghostiet

God, and I thought those "WHY RAPELAY GOT 9.7 AND NOT 9.8????????????///??" disputes were annoying.

I guess people will always find a way to bitch about the scores even if the reviewer measures the game in hot-dogs. "10 hot-dogs? Bullshit! It deserved 5 tacos!"

wh1terav3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By wh1terav3n

Seemed like a finely written review to me, he clearly enunciated why it didn't get a 5/5, and if you don't agree with his reasoning, then write your own user review. 
    @EVO said:

" First Heavy Rain, now this. If they're not deserving of 5 stars, I dunno what is. "
    Apparently all the games that got a 5.
    Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Damien

Yo Ryan's opinion is Ryan's opinion.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CaptainCody

Just to stop all of the trolls needing to make posts saying, "4/5= BEST SCORE EVER!" I will say that a 4/5 is the worst score that can possibly be given to a game.
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Skald
    bigall94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bigall94

I do actually. Personally, I think the game is near perfect, but I bought it and I rarely can afford to buy games, so I'm biased. Also, it is EXACTLY my kind of game, and I'm not reviewing it, so I ignore all the flaws Ryan pointed out.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Afroman269

Yes. I had a blast playing it but the game still sticks close to the formula that is in the past two games. I don't have a big problem with that. Also watching all the heads of fanboys exploding over this review is an added bonus for me.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By sopranosfan

I am surprised it took this long for this thread.  If he would have given it a 5/5 that means that he thinks it is perfect(or very close to it) and he didn't so he didn't give it a 5.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By chrissedoff
    @extremeradical said:
    " I'm more surprised that a world that hates Dante's Inferno could like God of War this much. "
    but don't you see, dante's inferno made a mockery of the divine comedy, and you know how gamers cherish 14th century italian poetry
    Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#21  Edited By Symphony

Personally, I think using the word "personally" two sentences in a row is redundant. Personally speaking, of course.

4/5 isn't a bad game. Hell, there's plenty of 3/5s they had positive things to say about, and I fully expect FFXIII to get a 3 from Brad, even though my own opinion may differ by a very large margin. If you feel so slighted by the score one person on one site gave it, go write your own review.

Huey2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Huey2k2

Jesus Christ I don't understand why people worry so much about review scores. You have the god damn game, you are loving the game. Why do you care what someone else thinks about it? Seriously.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By animateria

I agree with the review.

And well, don't think 4 stars as 80% rating.

4 Stars are in the 80%-90% range, if you are into numbers anyways.

I just put it down as, "might be worth the money" which is pretty much what a 5 star rating is for me.

DeadRockstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DeadRockstar

I agree with the score given, but my reasoning would be different.  

Personally, I'd knock off a star for the caverns/labyrinth levels. They mess up the pacing and momentum of the game and just don't seem on the same level of quality as the rest of it. I'm surprised the level design wasn't really mentioned in the review and instead the main criticism was leveled at the formula. I don't consider sticking with the same formula/structure "safe" at all. In fact I think it means the devs know what the fans wanted. 

SuperZamrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SuperZamrod

To answer you question, no, I do NOT agree with this review.  This is a 5 star game in my opinion, but I understand that Ryan thinks it is 4 stars and that's alright.  His job is to be overtly critical. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@Huey2k2 said:
    "Jesus Christ I don't understand why people worry so much about review scores. You have the god damn game, you are loving the game. Why do you care what someone else thinks about it? Seriously. "

I understand where you are coming from, but some people want better scores because they want the game to sell well.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By xyzygy

I rented it and got all I wanted out of it in less than 7 hours. I can honestly say that from my opinion, a 4/5 is being generous to this game. It's way, way too short and unsubstantial.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By spankingaddict

its ryan davis, he almost never gives games 5 out of 5... just saying

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#29  Edited By natetodamax
    @Godlyawesomeguy said:
    " @Huey2k2 said:
    "Jesus Christ I don't understand why people worry so much about review scores. You have the god damn game, you are loving the game. Why do you care what someone else thinks about it? Seriously. "
    I understand where you are coming from, but some people want better scores because they want the game to sell well. "
    If a 4/5 stops someone from getting a game, they should stop playing games in general because they are messed up in the head.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#30  Edited By Hailinel
    @extremeradical said:
    " I'm more surprised that a world that hates Dante's Inferno could like God of War this much. "
    That's because Dante's Inferno is a poor man's God of War.  It's a wrote copy to such an extent that its gameplay only stands out when it does something clearly inferior to God of War.
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Skald
    @chrissedoff said:
    " @extremeradical said:
    but don't you see, dante's inferno made a mockery of the divine comedy, and you know how gamers cherish 14th century italian poetry "  
    You're right! How could I forget this totally well-known fact?
    septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32  Edited By septim

I do agree that the game feels a little too beholden to the previous games in the series. 

On the other hand I feel that the game does what it does so well that it deserves 5/5. In the previous games the different segments were so clearly sectioned off that it would grind the game to a halt. God of War III never loses its pace, all the different elements feel integrated.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Hailinel
    @Symphony said:
    " Personally, I think using the word "personally" two sentences in a row is redundant. Personally speaking, of course.  4/5 isn't a bad game. Hell, there's plenty of 3/5s they had positive things to say about, and I fully expect FFXIII to get a 3 from Brad, even though my own opinion may differ by a very large margin. If you feel so slighted by the score one person on one site gave it, go write your own review. "
    Personally, I agree with you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@natetodamax said:
    " @Godlyawesomeguy said:
    " @Huey2k2 said:
    I understand where you are coming from, but some people want better scores because they want the game to sell well. "
    If a 4/5 stops someone from getting a game, they should stop playing games in general because they are messed up in the head. "

Yeah I agree, but I was mostly thinking about a game I thought was great and I want it to sell well but got it bad review (dante's Inferno).
    Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38
    @spankingaddict said:
    " its ryan davis, he almost never gives games 5 out of 5... just saying "
    I was gonna come in to say this. He's tough with his scores. He probably cares less about that then he cares about people reading his actual review of the game, though. He gave it a lot of praise and mentioned a few small things that irked him so, if you go by what he says about the game rather than how many stars he gave it, he really liked it.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hailinel
    @Godlyawesomeguy said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    " @Godlyawesomeguy said:
    " @Huey2k2 said:
    If a 4/5 stops someone from getting a game, they should stop playing games in general because they are messed up in the head. "
    Yeah I agree, but I was mostly thinking about a game I thought was great and I want it to sell well but got it bad review (dante's Inferno). "
    Ryan hates that game, thus it got a bad review from him.  He justifies his positions on both games in his reviews.  I don't see a problem here.
    pepsipat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By pepsipat1

I hope no one kills me but I dont agree with the review. Oh god no one kill me. It's God of War cranked up to 11. 4 out of 5 isnt bad its really good but I believe that it should have been a five. "But thats just my opinion no need to go spreading it around." 
    Edit: I also personally don't really like ryan davis. Though I did agree with his Dante's Inferno review.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel said:
    " @Godlyawesomeguy said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    " @Godlyawesomeguy said:
    " @Huey2k2 said:
    Yeah I agree, but I was mostly thinking about a game I thought was great and I want it to sell well but got it bad review (dante's Inferno). "
    Ryan hates that game, thus it got a bad review from him.  He justifies his positions on both games in his reviews.  I don't see a problem here. "

I dont either, I just hope that people buy Dante's Inferno despite his review.
    Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#39  Edited By Lazyaza

I absolutely loved the fuck out of the game, easily my game of the year and I'd still give it a 4 out of 5.  But then I dont care about scores so someone can rate it whatever they like. Its when I read an opinion that is just flat out wrong that I get annoyed by reviews.  Ryan's review though was pretty much exactly how I felt.  I do find it quite hilarious that people get so worked up over stars, letters and numbers, like they actually mean anything.  

pbhawks45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40  Edited By pbhawks45
    @DeadRockstar said:

" I agree with the score given, but my reasoning would be different.   Personally, I'd knock off a star for the caverns/labyrinth levels. They mess up the pacing and momentum of the game and just don't seem on the same level of quality as the rest of it. I'm surprised the level design wasn't really mentioned in the review and instead the main criticism was leveled at the formula. I don't consider sticking with the same formula/structure "safe" at all. In fact I think it means the devs know what the fans wanted.  "

This. The game peaked with the Cronos battle. It was still amazing, but I definitely agree with you on the third act of the game. The whole labyrinth  thing felt like a way to lengthen the game.
    veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By veektarius

Ryan's stingy with that fifth star, but you know what, that's all right, because when you see the fifth star, you know it means something.

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By bhhawks78

I think 4 out of 5 is a little generous.  Honestly though if you're the type to throw a fit calling a review too low, you didn't need the review in the first place and should shut the fuck up.

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By evanbrau

3-5 are what I consider to be in the range of a decent game to fantastic game. 1-2 means I won't buy like it did with Alien Versus Predator which I was set to pick up day one. Agree with Ryans review so far but haven't finished the game, am about 5 hours into it. I've rarely seen a videogame site that has people with tastes as close to my own as I have in this one (previously used Eurogamer but got sick of them obviously cynically marking games that were popular, just like Edge and especially after that MMO that the reviewer didn't even fucking play).

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @sopranosfan said:
    " I am surprised it took this long for this thread.  If he would have given it a 5/5 that means that he thinks it is perfect(or very close to it) and he didn't so he didn't give it a 5. "
    first off, 5/5 does not mean perfect or even near perfect at all.  
    and to the op:
    nope. i think ryan is a bit jaded. i think its crazy not to give this game a 5/5 
    eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By eclipsesis

I liked Ryan's review, but to comment on the score i would have to understand what the stars really mean but for comments sake, i always thought it meant 1 star= bad game, 2 star = mediocre attempt/ not up to par, 3 star = pretty even deliverance/ flawed however/rental, 4 star = rental/ambitious effort/ overall good game, 5 star = must buy/excellent game. In which case i do think GOW falls into the 5 star category, but hey opinions go that way people, 

Job well done ryan. 

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#46  Edited By Vinchenzo

The review is fine and the score is fine. Shut up.

Talesavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Talesavo
    @GetEveryone said:
    " It follows the formula and doesn't stray much from it. If they deem that enough of a criticism to warrant dropping a star then sure; it is true after all.  Not sure if I agree 100% on the actual score (despite it being very good), but Ryan's review was pretty spot on.  Edit: Though, unlike a lot of other people, I enjoyed it immensely from start to finish...so there's that. "
    You mean, like Modern Warfare 2? Probably the most iterative game I've seen in some time, minus the pretty deec spec-ops.
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Coombs

No
    It should have been a 3.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By luce

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Ryan's written review justifies his score of 4/5.  Those are the rules, so shut the fuck up.   

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.