Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

God of War III

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Mar 16, 2010

God of War III puts players back in the role of Kratos to continue his brutal and bloody war against Olympus as he sets his sights on Zeus himself.

Last 3 hours are kinda bad...

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By vitor

Anyone else agree? After the final Titan fight, things quickly go downhill with bland environments, few if no new enemies and dull boss fights that never reach the (awesome) heights of the first 5 hours. It's a shame because as much as I enjoyed some parts of the game, I've been left with a feeling of general disappointment both with the game and with reviewers once again being too eager to delve into hyperbole when reviewing a major sequel (GTA IV and MGS4 spring to mind as games whose flaws were never even hinted at in the reviewers of the time but which sprung out to me on my first playthrough).

durog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By durog

I don't think last 3 hours are "bad" but they weren't as fun and epic as the titan fight and the hades fight, imo.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By vitor
    @durog said:
    " I don't think last 3 hours are "bad" but they weren't as fun and epic as the titan fight and the hates fight, imo. "
    Not 'bad' bad but definitely the weakest part of the game. The box temple was ugly and dull when I was expecting some labyrinthine riff on Pandora's Temple from the first game which was deep, beautiful and fun. Also, the MC Escher-esque garden was frankly just plain ugly (as were any character models other than Kratos and the bosses) and filled with invisible walls impeding my progress and making the whole thing feel contrived.
    Ecinsiefil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Ecinsiefil

Didn't think it was bad. The Zeus fight could have been better (it was basically exactly the same as the one in God of War 2).

I'm guessing the ending that they cut was fighting Gaia. Might have made the game go out with more of bang - who can tell?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By xyzygy

I was wanting to game to end for the last half of it. It's kind of sad that the last half of it was only 3-4 hours. Very disappointing, and my standards weren't even high for this game.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By vitor
    @xyzygy said:
    " I was wanting to game to end for the last half of it. It's kind of sad that the last half of it was only 3-4 hours. Very disappointing, and my standards weren't even high for this game. "
    That's how I felt. There was a massive drop in overall quality and pacing that really killed any immersion I had. The start of the game actually had be both in awe and disgusted at the same time - I've never before really seen Kratos as more villain than anti-hero but some of the scenes in this game were so brutal that I couldn't help seeing him cross that line. I found that really interesting but then when the clichéd redemption plotline came through, I really felt as though Santo Monica Studios hadn't earned this massive tonal shift.  

Even the hope section at the end with the drastically different art style (the one Jaffe said looked like an oil painting in motion) I found flat because I don't think they had done enough in the build up to it so the delivery suffered as I wasn't emotionally invested.  

Both in terms of gameplay and story, the game just let me down at the end. 
    MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By MildMolasses

I actually wasn' that impressed by start of the game either. It did have a fantastic middle though. I think my problem with the start was that "the first 30 minutes" had been hyped to hell as being the most epic thing ever, that when I finally got to it, it didn't seem like much. The section running from the demo area until I left the Labrynth I really enjoyed. The Escher puzzle in particular was awesome. But the ending was a let down. The boss battle was really disappointing due to it's small scale (for the first parts anyway) and the whole bit about Kratos learning to love was fucking retarded. The entire game is built around this guy holding everyone but himself responsible for his own actions and murdering absolutely anything that dares exist when he's around, and apparently he's been the embodiment of Hope the whole time. No thanks.
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By captain_clayman
    @Ecinsiefil said:

" Didn't think it was bad. The Zeus fight could have been better (it was basically exactly the same as the one in God of War 2).  I'm guessing the ending that they cut was fighting Gaia. Might have made the game go out with more of bang - who can tell? "

that would have been epic.  
    but i think at the end, when *spoilers*kratos kills himself, and then athena was like "i'm disappointed in you spartan", and then kratos just did like a sneer look on his face, instead of that frown look i think he should have smiled.  like, a big goofy smile.  that would have been so great.*spoilers*
    ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By ZmillA

@captain_clayman said:

" @Ecinsiefil said:

" Didn't think it was bad. The Zeus fight could have been better (it was basically exactly the same as the one in God of War 2).  I'm guessing the ending that they cut was fighting Gaia. Might have made the game go out with more of bang - who can tell? "

that would have been epic.  but i think at the end, when

"

um dude thats not how you do a spoiler warning (well I did it right but you didn't)
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By LiquidPrince

Completely disagree.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.