Hello Kitty and Sanrio Friends Racing is a kart style racing game developed by Majesco Entertainment (With Scarab Entertainment doing the PC port) and published by Majesco Entertainment (US 3DS release), Scarab Entertainment (PC releases), and pQube (European 3DS releases).
Players select one of ten Sanrio universe characters and race against each other or the computer in a series of 3 lap races.
The game features three core modes of play, as well as the option to play them in split screen multiplayer matches.
- Play Now! - In Play Now! players can choose any single track from the game and play a single race on it.
- Contests in Happy Lands - Contests in Happy Lands is the progression mode in which players play through four different tours. Each of these tours contains four races which are played back to back with the players placing at the end of each race determining the amount of points gained.
- Adventures With Sanrio Friends - The final mode of the game has players trying to complete a series of challenge races. Each of these challenges is competed in alone. The three challenge races are to get all the cupcakes before time runs out, go through a set number of gates before time runs out, and the final type is to collect 99 apples before time runs out.
There are three different types of vehicles that can be driven, similar to that of Diddy Kong Racing. There is the typical car, or kart. The next is an airplane. Last up is a boat or hovercraft. Each vehicle type has 10 different ones to choose from, with each of those having 5 different paint jobs. The different body styles and paint jobs do not affect the vehicles handling or speed in any way.
There are five different weapons/power ups that can be obtained during a race by driving/flying through a floating question mark.
Hello Kitty and Sanrio Friends Racing contains five unique tracks to race on. Each of the tracks can be raced on with any of the three different kinds of vehicles, however every racer must be using the same type. In the main progression mode these tracks are repeated multiple times, just changing the vehicle type used, or reversing the track.
- Hello Kitty's Happy Town
- Chococat's Tropical Island
- Little Twin Stars Galaxy
- My Melody's Ski Resort
- Badtz-Maru's Balloon Forest (which is mis-spelled in game as Badz-Maru's Baloon Forest)