Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Journey

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 13, 2012

Journey is thatgamecompany's third release for Sony. Roam the lands discovering the history of an ancient civilization on a trek toward a distant mountain. Go at it alone or explore with strangers online.

A Journey To thatgamecompany's New PSN Game

• 183 results
    Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad

When I heard there was a new game called Journey at E3, I thought, wait a minute, there was already a game called Journey. It was in a cocktail machine and had a cassette tape in it. What more Journey could you possibly need? Who do these people think they are? 

No Caption Provided
    "These people" are thatgamecompany and its creative director Jenova Chen, the guy who built a beautiful and moving experience around flowers last year. After Flower I'd be willing to follow thatgamecompany anywhere, so I followed them to an E3 meeting room to see Chen present Journey, a lonely trek through a barren, otherworldly desert that looks like the closest thing to a traditional video game thatgamecompany has made yet. But it's still got their signature artsy touch fully in evidence.

== TEASER ==In Journey you play the armless, red-robed explorer you can see in the screenshots, roaming around an arid, empty-looking world that's occasionally dotted with ancient ruins, sandfalls pouring over rocks, tombstone-like markers rising out of the sand, and long tapestries of cloth flapping in the breeze. Those are pretty much all of the notable features I saw in the short demo, so yeah, there's definitely a lot of empty space out there.

With Journey thatgamecompany is setting a record for the number of buttons used in one of its game: two. One is for jumping, and one is... singing? You run around with the analog stick and control the camera with Sixaxis tilt. Much like it did with flowers in, um, Flower, the developer has put a lot of effort into its sand tech in Journey, and you leave a trough behind you when you run around in it. You can also ski down sandy hills to move around faster.

No Caption Provided
    Chen is tired of the empowerment fantasies inherent in most modern games. He said he wants to return players to a feeling of being small and powerless, with a sense of awe toward the wide unknown world. That means no rocket launchers or double jumps in Journey. The game is about exploring this strange world as a hapless character with no foreknowledge of his or her strange surroundings. There's an ever-present giant mountain with a beam of light off in the distance that serves as your constant goal, but other than that, you're just there to explore.

There will be some things to find. Chen ran behind a sandfall in one area and found a cloth covered with ancient glyphs on it. That seemed like some sort of collectible. Later, there was a bit of rudimentary platforming across a series of long tapestry-like pieces of cloth, which your character can "harmonize" with when it touches them, stiffening them and allowing you to climb on them. Finally, Chen encountered a statue that briefly came to life and imparted some sort of information to the player character, but he didn't elaborate on the meaning of that interaction. There will also be other AI-controlled characters in the game as well. What, you think they gave us anymore information about that?

No Caption Provided
    You may have heard Journey is an online game. (If you haven't, Journey is an online game.) But it doesn't sound like any sort of normal online game. Chen was extremely cagey about the multiplayer details since thatgamecompany is still figuring out how it will all work, but for now the gist of it seems to be that you'll have the potential to occasionally encounter another player running around in your game world. Chen likened this setup to hiking. You go out for a hike, and while hiking, you might pass some other hikers. You might stop and engage them in conversation, and then walk with them for a while. Or you might just let them go their own way while you go on yours. 

You're probably wondering if you can play Journey entirely by yourself. You can. And I'm not sure exactly what you'll do with another player, but Chen did say that's what singing is for. There's no voice or text chat in the game, but you'll be able to produce different kinds of singing based on the way you press the sing button, and this is intended to provide some degree of communication between players. You can even harmonize with the other player if you sing well. Hey, just like that other Journey! 

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad

When I heard there was a new game called Journey at E3, I thought, wait a minute, there was already a game called Journey. It was in a cocktail machine and had a cassette tape in it. What more Journey could you possibly need? Who do these people think they are? 

No Caption Provided
    "These people" are thatgamecompany and its creative director Jenova Chen, the guy who built a beautiful and moving experience around flowers last year. After Flower I'd be willing to follow thatgamecompany anywhere, so I followed them to an E3 meeting room to see Chen present Journey, a lonely trek through a barren, otherworldly desert that looks like the closest thing to a traditional video game thatgamecompany has made yet. But it's still got their signature artsy touch fully in evidence.

== TEASER ==In Journey you play the armless, red-robed explorer you can see in the screenshots, roaming around an arid, empty-looking world that's occasionally dotted with ancient ruins, sandfalls pouring over rocks, tombstone-like markers rising out of the sand, and long tapestries of cloth flapping in the breeze. Those are pretty much all of the notable features I saw in the short demo, so yeah, there's definitely a lot of empty space out there.

With Journey thatgamecompany is setting a record for the number of buttons used in one of its game: two. One is for jumping, and one is... singing? You run around with the analog stick and control the camera with Sixaxis tilt. Much like it did with flowers in, um, Flower, the developer has put a lot of effort into its sand tech in Journey, and you leave a trough behind you when you run around in it. You can also ski down sandy hills to move around faster.

No Caption Provided
    Chen is tired of the empowerment fantasies inherent in most modern games. He said he wants to return players to a feeling of being small and powerless, with a sense of awe toward the wide unknown world. That means no rocket launchers or double jumps in Journey. The game is about exploring this strange world as a hapless character with no foreknowledge of his or her strange surroundings. There's an ever-present giant mountain with a beam of light off in the distance that serves as your constant goal, but other than that, you're just there to explore.

There will be some things to find. Chen ran behind a sandfall in one area and found a cloth covered with ancient glyphs on it. That seemed like some sort of collectible. Later, there was a bit of rudimentary platforming across a series of long tapestry-like pieces of cloth, which your character can "harmonize" with when it touches them, stiffening them and allowing you to climb on them. Finally, Chen encountered a statue that briefly came to life and imparted some sort of information to the player character, but he didn't elaborate on the meaning of that interaction. There will also be other AI-controlled characters in the game as well. What, you think they gave us anymore information about that?

No Caption Provided
    You may have heard Journey is an online game. (If you haven't, Journey is an online game.) But it doesn't sound like any sort of normal online game. Chen was extremely cagey about the multiplayer details since thatgamecompany is still figuring out how it will all work, but for now the gist of it seems to be that you'll have the potential to occasionally encounter another player running around in your game world. Chen likened this setup to hiking. You go out for a hike, and while hiking, you might pass some other hikers. You might stop and engage them in conversation, and then walk with them for a while. Or you might just let them go their own way while you go on yours. 

You're probably wondering if you can play Journey entirely by yourself. You can. And I'm not sure exactly what you'll do with another player, but Chen did say that's what singing is for. There's no voice or text chat in the game, but you'll be able to produce different kinds of singing based on the way you press the sing button, and this is intended to provide some degree of communication between players. You can even harmonize with the other player if you sing well. Hey, just like that other Journey! 

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Dizzyhippos

looks cool

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Daveyo520

Looks interesting.

blacklab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By blacklab

Loved Flower, this looks very creative and different as well.

Xanth93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5  Edited By Xanth93

This looks great. I hope it's as good as Flower.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By FinalDasa

Looks interesting

ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ZmillA

a game all about isolation and discover, in an environment rarely used in games, and is made by a company with a proven track record for quality artsy games? YES PLEASE. Im going to need a ps3 at some point.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Looks kind of weird and kind of incredible.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Oni

Sounds very cool and unique. The multiplayer seems to take some inspiration from Demon's Souls. No chatting or text, just emoting with random strangers whose names you'll never know. Digging it.

Rossford85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Rossford85

What the?... thatgamecompany haven't let me down yet, but this sounds so weird. Though, i would have said the same about Flower before i played it.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FCKSNAP

Creative! Nobody makes games that you just explore without a care in the world anymore :/

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By VoshiNova
    @FinalDasa said:
    " Looks interesting "
    @Daveyo520 said:
    " Looks interesting. "
    @Dizzyhippos said:
    " looks cool "
    Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Akrid

I have very high hopes.

TonyBlue87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TonyBlue87

I really like the idea of being able to harmonize with other players.  I can see the massive choir performance on YouTube already.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By OneManX

The real question is... Is it art?

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By CoolDrMoney

A game where you walk through a desert and sing? Riveting.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By Hitchenson

Looks pretty interesting, odds are I'll pick it up when it's out.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#18  Edited By metalsnakezero

After having a lot of enjoyment from Flower I believe they can deliver with this. 

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Really interested in the online concept. I also like that there won't be any voice or text chat to ruin it.  

Imagine trekking through this beautiful desert, taking in the sights and sounds. All of a sudden you see the silhouette of another person who is also lost and just as curious as you. You walk over to greet them, imagining the adventure you're about to partake with them.

"FAG!" they exclaim. The moment is ruined.

FireSketch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FireSketch

Thatgamecompany can sell me on anything. While walking long distances can annoy me in other games, here it sounds excellent.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Vorbis

The settings reminds me of one of the text-based adventures in Nier, which is a good thing. 
    After Flower i'm willing to believe they can pull it off, looking forward to hearing more.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Oni said:
    " Sounds very cool and unique. The multiplayer seems to take some inspiration from Demon's Souls. No chatting or text, just emoting with random strangers whose names you'll never know. Digging it. "
    Exactly what I was thinking. I'll probably turn these interactions into the same thing: I run around in circles and trick people into jumping off cliffs. Either that or I run around in circles and show people secrets.
    Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Nasar7

I like.

Avatar image for prince_of_space
    Prince_of_Space

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Prince_of_Space

Very striking graphics.

dussssstin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dussssstin

I have yet to play Flower but this sounds fantastically different.

Euey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Euey

Loved Flower & this looks equally special. Count me in.

This_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By This_Dude

Thatgamecompany is one of the few developers out there that always does something interesting and focuses on using a simple idea to convey a fairly complex message to players.  I can't wait to see what they have in store for gamers with this title.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Steve_C

Did you manage to squeeze any info on a release date out of him?

Need this game.

adamfedoruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By adamfedoruk

shoulda made vinny write this

Kagamine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Kagamine

Looks kinda neat

GozerTC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By GozerTC

It is yet more proof that thatgamecompany is doing something we don't see enough of in gaming.  Be CREATIVE.  Seriously this may be crazy wierd and strange, but it is a lot of what made some of us old folks love about games in the first place, the strangeness and "unknown" qualities.  Something to make us go, "Hmm what's that?"  
    gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By gunslingerNZ
    @VoshiNova said:
    " @FinalDasa said:
    " Looks interesting "
    @Daveyo520 said:
    " Looks interesting. "
    @Dizzyhippos said:
    " looks cool "
    "

Globox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Globox82

Cool, but Brads preview didnt do anything for me, i mean he went there to SEE IT, so what are your impressions? I mean are you interested or meh?

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By themangalist

i almost thought the Flower people were little faeries from lalaland.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Spoonman671

Zombies.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By mosdl

That looks like a game that could use the move perhaps?  What about Flower, that too could work as well with the Move?

Faramir82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Faramir82

Looks pretty cool

Ethereal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38  Edited By Ethereal

This game looks interesting, Flower was cool, therefore I will buy this

MadeinFinland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MadeinFinland
    @gunslingerNZ said:
    " @VoshiNova said:
    " @FinalDasa said:
    " Looks interesting "
    @Daveyo520 said:
    " Looks interesting. "
    @Dizzyhippos said:
    " looks cool "
    "
    "
    Looks interesting.
    MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40  Edited By MisterMouse

Wow looks really cool, I cant wait to find out more about this game.

Remy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Remy

Any way I want this, that's the way I need this. 

(What?)

thed4rkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#42  Edited By thed4rkness

This looks kinda neat.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Animasta

anyone think it sounds somewhat like shadow of the colossus? the exploring part, anyway. Sounds really cool (need a PS3 gyuh)

Mattalorian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Mattalorian

Compelling! Between the remarkable graphics and the SING BUTTON, what can go wrong?

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#45  Edited By cornbredx

You mean... that Atari 2600 Journey, right, where you gotta get to your limo before the fangirls get you? Man that was a weird game. 

This one looks weird too 

Edit: I know, Journey Escape. It was about the band Journey... escaping... =P
    gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#46  Edited By gearhead

So is this game going to be up it's own ass too?

grokman10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By grokman10

Seems like a cool trippy game. Too many "kill stuff" games dominating the market. 

Twazuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Twazuk

Why can't this be out yet!? Don't they want my money!?!?

Avatar image for creativecolossi
    CreativeColossi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By CreativeColossi
    @Gearhead: I lolled. 

I love these types of games, but I hate the people who slap them on their "games r art" blog posts.
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By RE_Player1

This is why PSN is superior than XBLA for me. Sure XBLA has great games but they don't have the weird games that are interesting. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.