Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Journey

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 13, 2012

Journey is thatgamecompany's third release for Sony. Roam the lands discovering the history of an ancient civilization on a trek toward a distant mountain. Go at it alone or explore with strangers online.

Your Favourite Moment of Journey? (Spoilers)

• 69 results
    vivek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By vivek

There are many high points along the Journey, but mine has to be sliding through the tunnel with the sun and mountain in the backdrop, leaving the silhouette of the pillars and your character. A great piece of framing that put a big smile on my face.

Cyrisaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Cyrisaurus

You mean the one where the camera turns sideways? Because that's the exact moment I thought of when I read this thread's title before clicking on it.

The way the sand glimmers in that area is beyond what I thought the PS3 was capable of.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By VoshiNova

I MUST play this game. Dammit.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TentPole

That was great but I think my favorite moment was . . .

. . . huddling together with another player. The wind is blowing us backwards. Our scarfs have frozen off. And then that moment where you push up the last segment as your strength slowly saps until you cannot make another step. First my companion collapses and then . . . This game fucking great.
    vivek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By vivek

@Cyrisaurus: Yeah the part where the camera turns sideways. Blew my mind how beautiful a game could look.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By DrPockets000

@TentPole said:

. . . huddling together with another player. The wind is blowing us backwards. Our scarfs have frozen off. And then that moment where you push up the last segment as your strength slowly saps until you cannot make another step. First my companion collapses and then . . . This game fucking great.

This. But also the couple of minutes after that...

Thread title says "spoilers" so fuck it. Ascending as the leviathan thing swoops around you, then breaking through the barrier and finding yourself in heaven (?) as the HAPPIEST FUCKING MUSIC EVER plays. And then, at the final ledge, waiting for my companion to catch up and land, and greeting him again.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By StrikeALight

The long sliding sequence was fantastic. But my favourite was probably the mountaintop scene towards the end (sunshine and sprinkles). I alse enjoyed the ICO-esque moment, where you have to find shelter behind the stone relics.

But really, there isn't a dull moment. And it all looks like its from the next generation beyond.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By jacdg

Every single one, I honestly can't specify because the way the whole game intertwined was great, sliding scene and the one where you peak above the clouds before finally reaching the top has to be the standout moments though, but honestly, it was all great.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By spankingaddict

Every single part in the game was fantastic , but I would say finding the flower in the desert was mine... or finding flow.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Nekroskop

@TentPole said:

That part of the game was also my favorite.

But the saddest part was when I recovered only to find that my companion was gone...

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By supermonkey122

When you are sliding with those flying things beside you.

zonikjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zonikjj

The first time you're surfing for an extended period of time. I couldn't help but put a smile on!

The epic sunset sideways surfing thing comes in a close second.

RedBullRacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RedBullRacer

Mine was the very very end,

I was with this other person and I just got overcome with emotion like never before in a game. Dunno why, but I could feel this was our last few steps together, and I stopped, we both sent out a symbol as if to say our final goodbye and then we walked into the light. I was crying my eyes out man, this game has left me feeling stunned. Didn't know a game could do this to me!
    Avatar image for blastprocessing
    BlastProcessing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BlastProcessing

@DrPockets000 said:

Thread title says "spoilers" so fuck it. Ascending as the leviathan thing swoops around you, then breaking through the barrier and finding yourself in heaven (?) as the HAPPIEST FUCKING MUSIC EVER plays. And then, at the final ledge, waiting for my companion to catch up and land, and greeting him again.

This. Fucking this. I've never had my jaw drop as long as mine did after this sequence.

RoBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RoBear

Yes, YES, and YES! The moment when you are surfing down the tunnel with the side view looking out at the sunset had the most dramatic lighting in any piece of media I can think off. The lighting alone there floored me. During that scene and after it surfing with the scarf dolphins (they sounded like playful dolphins to me) was so exhilarating.

I also will probably never forget the moment the first stone dragon comes alive. I really didn't expect this game to shock me like that, it worked so well because I had no clue this game was going to go for that tone. During the "underwater" tunnel after that I had a very unique moment where my companion and I where slowly walking along the sides of the lit path trying to avoid the stone dragon. I got ahead of him and witnessed the second dragon come to life but I think he was behind a wall and missed it. Turns out he must have because he walked brazenly out in the middle of the path and got scooped up by it in terrifying fashion. I didn't see where he landed, and I was too worried about both dragons to venture out into the middle and find him. It was pretty sad, and I did meet up with someone at the end of the tunnel but I don't know if it was the same person. In the last room of that chapter I had the most exhilarated experience when I carelessly walked out in the middle of the path after seeing the monument marking the end of the chapter. I was immediately ambushed by both dragons and made a break for it. I had such a long scarf that i flew over them and barley made it to the light shield in time. The dragons where so distracted by me that my companion was able to safely run down the slope to join me.

And of course the ending. Feeling your characters heart beat and then slowly stopping in the snow. Just, wow.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By BoG

@RoBear said:

Yes, YES, and YES! The moment when you are surfing down the tunnel with the side view looking out at the sunset had the most dramatic lighting in any piece of media I can think off. The lighting alone there floored me. During that scene and after it surfing with the scarf dolphins (they sounded like playful dolphins to me) was so exhilarating.

This is absolutely true. I was filled with wonder and awe at this moment.

Phoenix654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By Phoenix654

@RedBullRacersaid:

Mine was the very very end,

I was with this other person and I just got overcome with emotion like never before in a game. Dunno why, but I could feel this was our last few steps together, and I stopped, we both sent out a symbol as if to say our final goodbye and then we walked into the light. I was crying my eyes out man, this game has left me feeling stunned. Didn't know a game could do this to me!

My response: Exactly my feelings. And as we walked into the light, the person I was playing with and I slowly, almost subconciously walked closer and closer to one another. I imagined myself putting my arm around their shoulder, and them doing the same to me. Powerful stuff... it will stay with me for quite a while now.

:D

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By GunstarRed

After playing through it again and loving it far more second time through. I had a pretty magical moment in the temple when the whole room is full of water-energy stuff. Just floating around that room with the big rug-fish and all the jellyfish was wonderful. There was someone else joining me and we both had the white/gold robe with mega long scarves. all of the waveyness looked really pretty.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By phantomzxro

yes that moment where your sliding done while the sun is shining over the horizon while the sand sparkles as if it was a sea of diamonds was great. But i have to say the Night underwater like area was my favorite.

Minor Spoilers

It was such a different feel from what you played before and having a buddy with me as we both explored these dark depths was awesome. Then as we both walked out in the open to encounter our first enemy was a great surprise and feeling. Followed by my unknown buddy wondering out in the open with reckless abandonment only to be spotted and attacked and how it quickly turned to every man for himself, never saw him after that he will be missed.

Sliced_Bread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sliced_Bread

Having stuck with the same companion through the entire game.

The last bit, where we were trudging up to the peak. No music, unable to chirp. Then watching them fall facedown into the snow seconds before I do. EASILY the saddest and most awesome moment I've experienced in a video game.
    MajorToms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By MajorToms
    LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By LegalBagel

Holy crap. I had heard good things but I was not prepared for the emotional impact of this game. It was like it took the wonder, joy, and overall experience of a game like Ico, only heavily concentrated and distilled into a perfect two hours.

Hard to pick a favorite moment. My first time I spent almost the entire game with the same companion, and the combination of the final icy climb, the ascension and joyous final fight, and the hand in hand walk to the light were amazing after the fun exploration and climb before that. Probably the culmination was the best - got to the top, let out a last song blast, and then walked into the light together. Just incredible.
    efman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By efman

It goes without saying that alot of the moments in this game are memorable, not the least of which the ones everyone has mentioned. But the one part of the game that really had me was the entire part where you were pushing through the snow storm, leading up to where the floating creature was scanning the area, as you had to seek refuge under the little huts alá VR Training in Metal Gear Solid for the PS1. All the parts where you had to wait the little bursts of storm out had me all aghast at the sense of interaction going on with me and my companion, constantly whistling back and forth as if we we're telling one another to "stop," "no, wait," "alright move." Loooooved those parts of the game.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By murisan

@Sliced_Bread said:

Having stuck with the same companion through the entire game.

The last bit, where we were trudging up to the peak. No music, unable to chirp. Then watching them fall facedown into the snow seconds before I do. EASILY the saddest and most awesome moment I've experienced in a video game.

That was mine as well. I couldn't figure out spoiler tags, so I'm gonna throw my +1 here.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Blackout62

Man I really want to get a playthrough with the same companion. But so far my favorite moment is definitely the mountain, always gotta love a good dramatic are they gonna make it or not low before the final high point and end of a story.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
    deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DrPockets000 said:

This moment, but for me it was a little different.

It was breaking through that barrier, and seeing my companion on the other side.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#27  Edited By Sooperspy

@Vivek said:

There are many high points along the Journey, but mine has to be sliding through the tunnel with the sun and mountain in the backdrop, leaving the silhouette of the pillars and your character. A great piece of framing that put a big smile on my face.

YESSSSSSS! That whole sequence, but mostly that part, looked soooooo amazing. My jaw was left hanging in awe.

The end to the snow part was also amazing. The whole time I was wondering if we would make it to the top of the mountain, and then my companion instantly dropped face down into the snow. A second later, I dropped to my knees but managed to stay up for another few seconds before unconsciousness (death?). I didn't want it to end. :(
    RoBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RoBear

How about when you reach the top of the tower and you see all of the murals depicting your path. Then the last mural is a picture of you and your companion trudging through the snow and wind. The one in front face up, the one behind face down. I really though one of us wasn't going to make it. I also though it was super cool that it showed both of you in those final murals. I wonder if it shows only one person if you get there alone.

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By Dreamfall31

One of my favorite moments was my 2nd playthrough and I got randomly put in with a guy who was white instead of red! My mind was blown! He was awesome and showed me the "Flower" and "Flow" easter eggs!

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By rentfn

The first time I saw the sea monster and I thought it wanted to be my friend so i sent out the symbol....but it didn't want to be my friend...sad

coolasj19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By coolasj19

Mine is the the first encounters with the Machine Hunters. The room where you have to slide down into a force-field type area, past a Machine, me an my partner sent our signals and went at the same time, sadly I (we) were spotted for the first time by one and my pulse shot up to unhealthy levels!! The monster headed towards us and we barely made it into the safety room before the force-field appeared and stopped the Machine. Both of us then frantically spammed our Chimes in celebration and fear and excitement and following along with my partners ritual to that point, I decided to meditate this time with him for a solid minute before heading on to the underground tunnels and elevator that lay ahead. That was the first time I felt bonded with my partner and the strongest even until the very end.

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#32  Edited By xpgamer7

So many. Seeing a monster ram my friend and then looking out from a corner, making a few light sounds and hearing nothing at all. Eventually I moved on but he came back.

The end where you fly without end.

The first part where you slide racing.

Pushing through the snow.

But my favorite was the one where you slide almost effortlessly down the hill while pillars pass by against a sun shaded hill, passing by my friend while looking at the mountains just marveling at the light display and elegance.

Branwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Branwulf

There was a part where my companion had a shorter scarf? than me and couldn't make a jump to get to a glowing thingy, i used my chirp to help him get up to it and we carried on through the rest of the game togther, the snow part was awesome, i got blown back a few times and he/she'd wait for me to catch up before we moved on together.

I rarely find any emotional attachment to games or anything, but when it was over I was sad, i felt like i'd made a friend and he was gone :P

vivek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By vivek

Great to hear everyone moments. I am going to do another play through this weekend and hope to have another great Journey.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Akeldama

@Vivek said:

@Cyrisaurus said:

You mean the one where the camera turns sideways? Because that's the exact moment I thought of when I read this thread's title before clicking on it.

The way the sand glimmers in that area is beyond what I thought the PS3 was capable of.

Easily the most memorable sight I have seen in a game in a long ass time. Unforgettable and absolutely gorgeous.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By glots

The whole snow bit was amazing. Like, really really amazing! 'course all other parts were great too, amazing visuals all-around. Though I can't help but to wonder, how incredible™ this game would've been, if it lasted for 8-10 hours. But...I guess that it could get repeating with that length and loose some of the impact...but maybe just few more hours added. With some foresty-like levels and whatnot...great experience in any case!

Must say that I would love a chance to play the whole thing with the same companion. Guess there's no clever way to set that up, maybe playing at the same time and trying to change your companion enough times by always running far enough. Oh well, hopefully I'll be lucky enough this weekend to get some helpful companions! I know I had one during my first playthrough and 'twas heartbreaking to loose him/her.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Blackout62

I finally got my single playthrough with one dude. I could tell from his robe that it was his first playthrough so when we got to the flying war machines scarf eater things I awesomely led him down the path so that neither of us ever got caught by them, and I got him all the extenders for that level, and guided him the same way through the mountain. That and everything else that was awesome about 1 playthrough, 1 companion, sandsurfing, ascension, etc.

So yeah, he'll probably not read this but thanks Salty_Snake, in the words of Sword & Sworcery "now we are cosmic friends forever, ok?"

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#38  Edited By Yanngc33

The part where you surf on the sand and the camera pans so you can see a pretty landscape and the lighting blows your mind

randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By randiolo

So many to choose from, as of this post i finished it only 5 min ago and i knew i had to write something about it. The final climb at the end was probably the best part, however what i will never forget is the one player who i met on the very first level and then continued to journey with until the very end, we worked together, helped each other, communicated with each other, side by side the whole way. I was utterly speechless. After the credits rolled, i got this..

No Caption Provided

... Turning strangers into friends the world over.

Avatar image for whitebrightknight
    WhiteBrightKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just finished it, had to write something about it. I think my most memorable moment was when I was scaling the mountain and my partner had hid from the monsters but i didn't and got thrown back to the start of the area. I had avoided all of the ones in the underground area, and when this happened it was kinda shocking. Of course the surfing and the end were amazing as well. The only thing I'm a little disappointed about is at the end it said I had met 7 people, but thinking about I can only think of 3 or 4. Apparently it changed without me realizing it so I can't know who it was so fun to be with.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By VisariLoyalist

Well for me the way my journey went is I found a buddy and we stuck super super close to eachother the whole time boosting non stop. We finished in about an hour and a half. The best parts for me were the times when we lost each other because of something and we were always reunited.

ethan_raiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#42  Edited By ethan_raiden

I'm going to give top 3 because there are just so many moments in this game.

1. My and my partners final steps through the snow toward the mountain, after seeing him collapse I stopped to check only to fall myself.
    2. Walking toward the light with my partner at the very end, both of us stood short of the light for a good few minutes before both signaling to carry on.
    3. The first time that I met my partner, it was on the "2nd level" with the ruined bridge. I saw something in the distance and chased after it, we sang and jumped with each other before carrying on with the rest of the game side by side.

This is an absolutely phenominal game, I've not done anything like this in my life, let alone a videogame, I would like to think that I want to play more things like this, but I think that it would spoil the perferction of this game. What I will say is that I hope that the bigger companies out there can take something away from the experience that this short, cheap game can give to it's players.

thespartandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By thespartandon

The whole game is amazing.

But one specific moment that stuck out to me was when me and my partner were working our way up the mountain, trying to avoid the enemies by using the cover. My buddy ended up making a run for the next piece of cover as the monster approached. In a moment of despair, I decided to follow him, which was a huge mistake as the monster caught me and threw me all the way back down the mountain.

Lost and without my scarf, I tried to reorient myself and find the pathway back up. However in the distance I saw a small flashing light. I sung at the light, and it responded. Moments later I see my buddy come running down the mountain, singing a long, as he came to my aid.

The feeling of camaraderie in that game is ridiculous. The fact that some anonymous person was willingly to throw away all the time and effort they had just made to come back and save me was genuinely amazing. That one little sequence made more of an impact on me, than all of the scripted sequences that were deliberately designed to be emotional (not to discredit those scenes in anyway)

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SSully

As everyone else here, that game fucking hit me hard. Such a beautiful experience that honestly cannot be expressed in words, it just does not do the game justice.

One of my best parts was the first encounter with the stone monster when it is scanning to kill you. My buddy and I were walking down that big hallway when the beam of light came on us. I booked it and was banging on the chirp button while running away, but my buddy stood there facing down the monster and charging up a chirp. He left out his loud chirp and the stone monster swooped in and threw him in the air. I ran towards the direction he was in and saw him laying on the ground. I thought he was dead, and then he slowly got up. It was one of the most terrifying moments in a game for me and it was for a faceless character. Simply stunning.

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By FunkyHugo

I played through the whole game co-op, it was one of the most delight, empowering gaming experiences I've ever had. [spoiler]But if I had to choose one, it would be towards the last act, in the snow storm, me and my co-op buddy were walking side by side at a snail's pace. And even then we were both trying to communicate with one another, and having the icons barely appearing. It was fucking depressing. [/spoiler]

FunkyFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By FunkyFox

@TentPole said:

This is also mine. Such a powerful moment.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#47  Edited By donutfever

I JUST finished it. I see a lot of people posted the slow drain of energy in the snow, and for me it was thing because my companion for the whole snow area and me would try and make music together with our chirps, like we were singing. Then, as we began to run out of energy, I tried to start singing again, but the sound and light were so small that he didn't notice until JUST before we "died". Also, the first dragon sequence was pretty great, and at one point, in the sneaking section, he found me, hit me, and for the next 30 seconds or so I walked with a limp, and slower than my companion.

deadmoscow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By deadmoscow

Just played again last night. At the very end of the game, on top of the mountain in the snow, my partner drew a heart for me with their footprints. It was the most adorable thing.

space_sandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By space_sandwich

So many high points in this game, but I have to say the sand-boarding bits were definitely my favorite, from a gameplay perspective. I loved weaving through the gates and hitting ramps for mad air (brah). Then again, the final moments had me in tears, so I guess it's really a toss up.

EToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By EToaster

There were a ton of fantastic moments in the game, but one I didn't discover till my third or fourth go is with the cloth dragons in the final stage. If you hop on one's back in the lowest lake, you can ride it all the way up and it'll carry you through the final gate before the glowing ascent section, and it's glorious.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.