Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

Are you buying L.A. Noire for the 360 or PS3 ?

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201  Edited By BrockNRolla

As much trouble as there is with the PS3 right now, gotta go with the PS3. 

People keep saying switching discs isn't a big deal, and it probably isn't, but if you have the option not to, why would you?
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#202  Edited By NTM

PS3, only because I've never gotten anything from Rockstar on a Microsoft system. And it's not because I think Xbox is worse platform to get it on. Rockstar's games just seem more suited to the Playstation systems (if not PC).
    unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#203  Edited By unchained

PS3. I recently switched my pre-order from a 360 version to a PS3 version when I heard about the disk swapping. I'm a lazy, lazy man and I'd rather not get off my ass to change disks. Also, learning that the PS3 was the lead platform sealed the deal. 

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#204  Edited By Sooty

PS3 due to disc swap

Diablos1125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#205  Edited By Diablos1125

Single Disc, Lead Platform, Exclusive Content > My preference for a 360 controller
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#206  Edited By Rockdalf
    @haggis said:
    @Rockdalf said:
    So you'd rather interrupt game play twice to get up and switch discs than let your PS3 install the game once before you start playing.  That's not even taking into consideration that you SHOULD install your games on the Xbox 360 if you value it.  I agree that it is a minute point, but if we know no difference between the two other than one occupies three dvds and the other occupies one blu-ray, I as a neutral consumer will take the one that requires less work.

Besides, my point wasn't even a comparison of the pre-install time to disc swap time.  Besides, in which situation would you not install the game on your 360?   Maybe if you were renting it, I could see your point.  I was just trying to logically explain why some people don't like to manually load their game data, instead of playing seamlessly.  What is beyond my comprehension is why that seems unreasonable when I make my purchase decision.

Regardless, I won't be flopping my pre-order six times and rolling in bed at night worried I'd chosen wrongly.  If PS3's version turns out the inferior version (which no evidence suggests one way or the either), who cares, I'll still play and enjoy the experience as any sane person would.
    So, I install disc one on the xbox, then I only have to change discs once. So, yes, I'd rather change discs than sit for a half hour for an install when I just want to play the game. Usually what I do is stick the game in and play, then when I'm done install it to the hard drive. I can't do that with the PS3 usually. I understand that this is a matter of preference, but there is always some amount of waiting involved, and the difference in time is negligible. Which is why I don't think the multiple discs are really a huge issue. I'm not trying to convince you, I'm just giving my opinion. Calling disc-switching "work" is crazy. I timed it this morning playing ME2. Fifteen seconds. And I didn't even rush. It's not work, in my opinion. It's not even an inconvenience. Given that there are other differences between the two version and not just the multiple-disc issue, yes, I think it's silly to even consider it. That you think the difference is a "minute point" is actually the point I've been trying to make. Compared to the other differences ... it doesn't matter. Which is why I find it strange that people even bother considering it, which a lot of people do.What situation would you not install the game on the 360? When you're playing more than one game. The hard drive on my 360 isn't large enough for more than one install at a time, so at any given moment I'm playing three or four games, in two or three of those instances, I'm not playing from an installed copy. So, most of the time. I never said it was unreasonable, I just said that the difference between multiple discs and a single disc is not very much. If that miniscule amount of time means a lot to you, that's fine. I just think that it's too small to make a difference either way.
    Have I related disc-switching to work or are you putting those words in my mouth?  And a thirty minute install, really?  I find it ironic that you're giving a rant on people blowing disc-swap out of proportion yet are exaggerating your argument.

But enough of that, I am curious what your other differences are that you refer to.  Besides pure console preference, what "other" differences swing you in the way of the 360 version and justify disc swapping?
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#207  Edited By alistercat

Xbox. Rather be on there in an Xbox live party than PS3.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#208  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @AlisterCat said:
    i've never used a X360, but isnt an Xbox live party = online/multiplayer? LA Noire is singleplayer only
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#209  Edited By alistercat
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    @AlisterCat said:
    i've never used a X360, but isnt an Xbox live party = online/multiplayer? LA Noire is singleplayer only
    It's a chat lobby that exists at the dashboard level, so people can all chat together while playing different games.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @AlisterCat said:
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    @AlisterCat said:
    It's a chat lobby that exists at the dashboard level, so people can all chat together while playing different games.
    neato !
    fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#211  Edited By fjordson

Watched two 360 streams now and it looks hot as fuck. Identical to the PS3 media we've seen so far.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I went and switched my pre-order from 360 to PS3. Only for the fact that I want to build up my PS3 collection a little bit.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#213  Edited By jorbear

XBOX. I don't mind the disk swap too much.

clark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#214  Edited By clark

Grabbing it for xbox. It's just more convenient for me as the PS3 is a shared family device. My only concern was the disk shit but then I heard that becuase of how the missions are it isn't a big deal.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#215  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

PS3

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#216  Edited By haggis
    @Rockdalf said:

@haggis said:

@Rockdalf said:
    So you'd rather interrupt game play twice to get up and switch discs than let your PS3 install the game once before you start playing.  That's not even taking into consideration that you SHOULD install your games on the Xbox 360 if you value it.  I agree that it is a minute point, but if we know no difference between the two other than one occupies three dvds and the other occupies one blu-ray, I as a neutral consumer will take the one that requires less work.

Besides, my point wasn't even a comparison of the pre-install time to disc swap time.  Besides, in which situation would you not install the game on your 360?   Maybe if you were renting it, I could see your point.  I was just trying to logically explain why some people don't like to manually load their game data, instead of playing seamlessly.  What is beyond my comprehension is why that seems unreasonable when I make my purchase decision.

Regardless, I won't be flopping my pre-order six times and rolling in bed at night worried I'd chosen wrongly.  If PS3's version turns out the inferior version (which no evidence suggests one way or the either), who cares, I'll still play and enjoy the experience as any sane person would.
    So, I install disc one on the xbox, then I only have to change discs once. So, yes, I'd rather change discs than sit for a half hour for an install when I just want to play the game. Usually what I do is stick the game in and play, then when I'm done install it to the hard drive. I can't do that with the PS3 usually. I understand that this is a matter of preference, but there is always some amount of waiting involved, and the difference in time is negligible. Which is why I don't think the multiple discs are really a huge issue. I'm not trying to convince you, I'm just giving my opinion. Calling disc-switching "work" is crazy. I timed it this morning playing ME2. Fifteen seconds. And I didn't even rush. It's not work, in my opinion. It's not even an inconvenience. Given that there are other differences between the two version and not just the multiple-disc issue, yes, I think it's silly to even consider it. That you think the difference is a "minute point" is actually the point I've been trying to make. Compared to the other differences ... it doesn't matter. Which is why I find it strange that people even bother considering it, which a lot of people do.What situation would you not install the game on the 360? When you're playing more than one game. The hard drive on my 360 isn't large enough for more than one install at a time, so at any given moment I'm playing three or four games, in two or three of those instances, I'm not playing from an installed copy. So, most of the time. I never said it was unreasonable, I just said that the difference between multiple discs and a single disc is not very much. If that miniscule amount of time means a lot to you, that's fine. I just think that it's too small to make a difference either way.
    Have I related disc-switching to work or are you putting those words in my mouth?  And a thirty minute install, really?  I find it ironic that you're giving a rant on people blowing disc-swap out of proportion yet are exaggerating your argument.

But enough of that, I am curious what your other differences are that you refer to.  Besides pure console preference, what "other" differences swing you in the way of the 360 version and justify disc swapping?
    No, they're your words: "...I as a neutral consumer will take the one that requires less work." And I'm not ranting at all. I'm explaining my perspective, which you've said is somehow incomprehensible. And I'm not exaggerating at all. Several of my PS3 games have taken that long to install. I've heard that LA Noire's is to be shorter, but ... we don't know for sure yet. But even a ten minute install would still be longer than the time necessary to switch discs twice during a forty hour game.

I've already said why I'm not not buying the PS3 version: I'm irritated with Sony over the PSN fiasco. And other reasons: friends are selling their PS3s lately, and buying 360s. We often share games, therefore I'm considering selling the PS3. I also have a buyer lined up that will pay a good price. That is, reasons that have nothing to do with the game itself. If I weren't considering selling the console, I'd probably be purchasing the PS3 version because of the extra content and the fact that it was developed first for the PS3 (I almost always buy games for the primary development console). I just don't think that the disc swapping on the 360 is important enough to figure in the decision. That is, I don't think that disc swapping needs "justification" because it's so innocuous. Which you'd know if you actually read what I wrote. But maybe that's asking too much.
    spree4567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By spree4567

Like the 360 controller a lot more and I'd rather get the achievements on 360 to compare with my friends instead of trophies
    TheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#218  Edited By TheKing

After seeing the screen comparisons, Xbox 360.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By benjaebe
    @TheKing: The comparisons someone posted on a topic here? Fake, bro.
    laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By laserbolts
    I was gonna say 360 until I dusted off my ps3 yesterday and started playing it. Now playing uncharted 2 which is reminding me of how god damn awesome my ps3 really is. Infamous next then la noire.
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#221  Edited By flaminghobo

Xbox 360. Disc-swapping doesn't bother me and the PS3 in my house doesn't belong to me.

Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#222  Edited By Mayu_Zane

PS3, because my 360 is broken.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By Azteck

360, 'cause I don't got no PS3 to play on.

ckeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By ckeats

360 cause I just really love points.

wealllikepie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#225  Edited By wealllikepie

360 for achievements :P

ethan_raiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#226  Edited By ethan_raiden

PS3, good to see that it's ahead in the poll.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By xyzygy

After seeing the comparisons, 360. I can't get over how muddy the PS3 version looks. It almost has that same muddy, gross look that Bayonetta PS3 has. Like you're looking through a dirty window while playing or something.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By Rockdalf
    @haggis said:
    @Rockdalf said:

@haggis said:

@Rockdalf said:

No, they're your words: "...I as a neutral consumer will take the one that requires less work." And I'm not ranting at all. I'm explaining my perspective, which you've said is somehow incomprehensible. And I'm not exaggerating at all. Several of my PS3 games have taken that long to install. I've heard that LA Noire's is to be shorter, but ... we don't know for sure yet. But even a ten minute install would still be longer than the time necessary to switch discs twice during a forty hour game.I've already said why I'm not not buying the PS3 version: I'm irritated with Sony over the PSN fiasco. And other reasons: friends are selling their PS3s lately, and buying 360s. We often share games, therefore I'm considering selling the PS3. I also have a buyer lined up that will pay a good price. That is, reasons that have nothing to do with the game itself. If I weren't considering selling the console, I'd probably be purchasing the PS3 version because of the extra content and the fact that it was developed first for the PS3 (I almost always buy games for the primary development console). I just don't think that the disc swapping on the 360 is important enough to figure in the decision. That is, I don't think that disc swapping needs "justification" because it's so innocuous. Which you'd know if you actually read what I wrote. But maybe that's asking too much.
    I never said your point was incomprehensible.   If you're against installing your game or you don't have a PS3, yeah, you'll be going with the 360 version.  I'm not sure what the PSN fiasco has to do with it seeing as you can play the game offline, but sure.  What I can't comprehend is why disc swap is not a valid point to consider when I'm throwing down $60.00 for a game.

Also, I'm not sure which games have had 30 minute installs, as the longest I know of (in a single install) is DMC4, which is 20 minutes and FAR outside the norm.  MGS4 also has multiple annoying installs, which may add up to more, but I don't think that is really relevant to comparison either.

Besides that point, if I'd rather install the game instead of disc swapping is that unreasonable?  Especially since I would install the game on either console (as should anyone with any game).  I'm not trying to say you're wrong, I'm just saying that disc swap is a valid criticism to make and the majority of people in this thread and soon to be consumers of this product have proven that, by voicing their opinions and will prove it further when they buy the PS3 version over the 360 version.
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By haggis
    @Rockdalf said:

@haggis said:

@Rockdalf said:

" ...I never said your point was incomprehensible."

Yes, you did: " What is beyond my comprehension is why that seems unreasonable..." Did you even read your own posts? Or think about what you were writing?

"I'm not sure what the PSN fiasco has to do with it seeing as you can play the game offline, but sure."

You didn't read my post, then, either. I said very specifically that my reasons for buying the game on the 360 had nothing to do with the game, LA Noire, but a series of other reasons unrelated even to the PSN outage. Clearly you didn't bother reading what I said.

"... but I don't think that is really relevant to comparison either."

And I don't think disc swapping is relevant to choice either. We clearly disagree. I'm fine with the disagreement. I'm not sure why you're not. Somehow I'm being unreasonable for not respecting your position on this (which I never said, I just think it's a silly complaint), but you're not being unreasonable for thinking my position is irrelevant? The world does not revolve around you, you know. Make whatever decision you like. It doesn't really bother me. I still think it's silly.

"... Besides that point, if I'd rather install the game instead of disc swapping is that unreasonable?"

I think it's silly, yes. If I had space on my 360 to install all three discs, I still likely wouldn't bother. Why? Swapping discs only takes a few seconds. Installs have only marginally increased load speeds (the best increase I've seen is on Dragon Age 2), and I've had no disc scratching issues. Clearly you disagree. Again, I have no problem with this. I think it's picking nits. In the grand scheme of things, I think it's not important. You apparently think it is very important.

"I'm not trying to say you're wrong, I'm just saying that disc swap is a valid criticism to make and the majority of people in this thread..."

By saying that it's a valid criticism, you very clearly are saying I'm wrong, because I don't think it is a valid criticism. I don't have a problem with this disagreement at all. And I'm fine with you thinking (and even saying) that I'm wrong. I just think it's silly. I'm just explaining my perspective on it. I don't think there's really a right or wrong here, I just think that people who make a big deal of this one issue are making something out of nothing.

"... will prove it further when they buy the PS3 version over the 360 version."

I doubt that if the disc swapping issue went away (say, that both versions fit on one disc) that the survey results would be any different, given the extra content available on the PS3 version and that most of us prefer buying games on the primary development platform. The disc swapping issue is an also-ran on the already long list of differences between the versions. I think that people list it not because it's a deal-breaker, but because it's just one more difference to list.
    PokeIkzai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By PokeIkzai

I'll probably end up with the PS3 but I'm just worried it's going to look like utter crap on it. (Remember Red Dead Redemption?)

ninjalegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By ninjalegend

PS3. I think Red Dead looked just a tiny bit better on 360, but I hate disk swapping. If it let me do an install like Forza, then maybe 360. In all honesty, judging by RDR and GTA4 on the PS3 and 360, I don't think it matters much.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By Rockdalf
    @haggis said:

@Rockdalf said:

@haggis said:

@Rockdalf said:

" ...I never said your point was incomprehensible."

Yes, you did: " What is beyond my comprehension is why that seems unreasonable..." Did you even read your own posts? Or think about what you were writing?

"I'm not sure what the PSN fiasco has to do with it seeing as you can play the game offline, but sure."

You didn't read my post, then, either. I said very specifically that my reasons for buying the game on the 360 had nothing to do with the game, LA Noire, but a series of other reasons unrelated even to the PSN outage. Clearly you didn't bother reading what I said.

"... but I don't think that is really relevant to comparison either."

And I don't think disc swapping is relevant to choice either. We clearly disagree. I'm fine with the disagreement. I'm not sure why you're not. Somehow I'm being unreasonable for not respecting your position on this (which I never said, I just think it's a silly complaint), but you're not being unreasonable for thinking my position is irrelevant? The world does not revolve around you, you know. Make whatever decision you like. It doesn't really bother me. I still think it's silly.

"... Besides that point, if I'd rather install the game instead of disc swapping is that unreasonable?"

I think it's silly, yes. If I had space on my 360 to install all three discs, I still likely wouldn't bother. Why? Swapping discs only takes a few seconds. Installs have only marginally increased load speeds (the best increase I've seen is on Dragon Age 2), and I've had no disc scratching issues. Clearly you disagree. Again, I have no problem with this. I think it's picking nits. In the grand scheme of things, I think it's not important. You apparently think it is very important.

"I'm not trying to say you're wrong, I'm just saying that disc swap is a valid criticism to make and the majority of people in this thread..."

By saying that it's a valid criticism, you very clearly are saying I'm wrong, because I don't think it is a valid criticism. I don't have a problem with this disagreement at all. And I'm fine with you thinking (and even saying) that I'm wrong. I just think it's silly. I'm just explaining my perspective on it. I don't think there's really a right or wrong here, I just think that people who make a big deal of this one issue are making something out of nothing."... will prove it further when they buy the PS3 version over the 360 version."I doubt that if the disc swapping issue went away (say, that both versions fit on one disc) that the survey results would be any different, given the extra content available on the PS3 version and that most of us prefer buying games on the primary development platform. The disc swapping issue is an also-ran on the already long list of differences between the versions. I think that people list it not because it's a deal-breaker, but because it's just one more difference to list.
    I thought about responding.  I even typed a few responses out, but this grows dull and pointless.  If you think I'm ridiculous for preferring the PS3 version over the 360 because I'd rather install the game than swap discs, fine.  Go along your way, you'd sooner convince me that blue is a stupid favorite color than my opinion is wrong in this manner.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By AhmadMetallic

unnnncomfrtabllllleeeeee

vaportra1l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By vaportra1l

Xbox, because I like the controller like, way better.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By captain_clayman

probably ps3 so i can share it with my friends...or possibly one of my friends will get it and let me borrow it :D

plus 1 disc instead of 3.
    Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By Nekroskop

I don't mind switching discs if they're using the same engine as they did in GTA4 and RDR. The PS3 versions always seem to lag behind in the graphics and frameratedepartment on that engine.

So unless some legit comparisonvideo proves me wrong, I'm going to buy the 360 version.
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By haggis
    @Rockdalf said:
    I thought about responding.  I even typed a few responses out, but this grows dull and pointless.  If you think I'm ridiculous for preferring the PS3 version over the 360 because I'd rather install the game than swap discs, fine.  Go along your way, you'd sooner convince me that blue is a stupid favorite color than my opinion is wrong in this manner.
    Rockdalf, as I've been saying the entire time, I'm not trying to convince you. And I also said that I didn't think there even was a right or wrong in this case. You'd know that if you actually read my posts. Maybe you would have figured this all out earlier if you actually took the time to read the posts you were responding to.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @vaportra1l said:
    Xbox, because I like the controller like, way better.
    i have nothing against the X360 but i find its gigantic controller uncomfortable. the PS3 controller feels 'cooler'
    RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#239  Edited By RichardLOlson

Probably the 360, but the disc swapping issue does have me scratching my head.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By sickVisionz
    @Manhattan_Project said:

I don't care at all about disc swapping but I do care more about achievements than stupid trophies.
    I wouldn't call them stupid... but this.  As long as you play through a whole disc at a time rather than having to constantly go back and forth, disc swapping isn't an issue for me.  I also like achievements more than trophies, plus my friends will be buying it on the 360 so it'll be easier to compare how we're doing.

Shadows being slightly jaggier doesn't bother me (I never pay attention to shadows unless a scene is nothing but shadows) and the reviews make it seem like the other problems are pretty rare.
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#241  Edited By Rhaknar

i buy all my multiplatform games (that arent on PC) on my system that WON'T melt... it might be offline for aweeks, but it won't melt :P

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By probablytuna

PS3 because that's the console I own.

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By Robo

Ok people, having to take a couple minutes of your time to swap discs is a non-issue.

On more important yet UNRELATED issues that may actually factor into one's decision, how about this? From Brad's review:
    "Having spent a lot of time with both versions of L.A. Noire, the PlayStation 3 game is the clear-cut winner. Both versions of the game look fantastic, but there were a few instances of painful frame rate drops and objects drawing in too slowly on the Xbox that didn't exist on the PS3. Also, the shadows look a bit more jagged. This is splitting hairs since, both games look good enough that you should just get the one on the platform you prefer, though the PS3 also has the added benefit of being on a single disc to the Xbox's three, and includes an exclusive downloadable case (which I didn't get to try, and you probably won't be able to play either until the PlayStation Store is back online). "

However, I can't help but wonder if that smoother framerate and less pop-in comes as the result of a somewhat graphically dumbed-down version of the game on the PS3, as it has in the past with titles like RDR. That last mention of the shadows appearing more jagged on the 360 leads me further to believe that may be the case, because a sort of overall 'blurriness' was present in RDR to mask the lower resolution. I wound up selling my PS3 copy of that game and buying the 360 version because of that. (Call me picky, but I want the best version for my $60...not the "good enough" version)

There seems to be a distinct lack of reading comprehension present here, I'll dumb this down for people:
    The point I'm making in the previous paragraph is that a faster framerate and less pop in on the PS3 version could be a result of other graphical features being cut, tweaked, or otherwise lessened.
    Such as the age-old practice of cutting down the resolution of a game and applying a sort of Gaussian blur effect to mask jagged edges and muddy textures that would be present as a result. Something that has been the unfortunate case for many PS3 versions of multiplats since the console's release.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#244  Edited By AlexW00d
    @Robo: What? The quote says that the PS3 version is better, not the PS3 version is worse but has a higher framerate. By the sounds of things Team Bondi have learnt to use the Cell Processor a little bit and have implemented some AA, something console games lack, hence the less jaggy shadows. Considering AA uses up processing power yet the PS3 version has a higher framerate, it just shows it was coded well for PS3 instead of a knock-off port like normal.
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By benjaebe
    @Robo: You still haven't realized by now that the game isn't using the Rockstar engine because Team Bondi built it from the ground up for LA Noire on PS3, huh?
    Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By Robo
    @AlexW00d

@Robo

said:

I can't help but wonder if that smoother framerate and less pop-in comes as the result of a somewhat graphically dumbed-down version of the game on the PS3, as it has in the past with titles like RDR. That last mention of the shadows appearing more jagged on the 360 leads me further to believe that may be the case, because a sort of overall 'blurriness' was present in RDR to mask the lower resolution.

I know which version he is saying performs better. I'm questioning whether that better performance in terms of more constant framerate & less pop-in comes at the cost of other factors of overall fidelity (sharpness, lighting, textures, removed foliage or geometry, etc.) as it has in the past with other multiplatform titles - not just R* games.

@benjaebe: 

Watch a gameplay video and tell me if you really believe that.
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By benjaebe
    @Robo: The engine is Team Bondi's inhouse and they're using Darksprint for real-time global illumination. I'm sorry you can't accept that PS3 was lead dev and performs slightly better than the 360 version (even though both games look fantastic), but it's already been confirmed in several interviews with the developers and by Brad's review.
    tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By tebbit
    @AlexW00d said:
    @Robo: What? The quote says that the PS3 version is better, not the PS3 version is worse but has a higher framerate. By the sounds of things Team Bondi have learnt to use the Cell Processor a little bit and have implemented some AA, something console games lack, hence the less jaggy shadows. Considering AA uses up processing power yet the PS3 version has a higher framerate, it just shows it was coded well for PS3 instead of a knock-off port like normal.
    I thought my brain had broken when I read that sentence.

"Wait" I says to myself, "the PS3 version isn't the one with the shoddy framerate and jagged edges?".
    Mark this one down in the record books.
    Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By Robo
    @benjaebe: I'm pretty sure I just asked a simple question and posited my own simple theory based on past experience (regardless of developer) which has yet to be objectively disproven (not just someone's opinion).

No need to jump down my throat over it. I have both versions pre-ordered. I don't care if a Wii version ended up being the best looking. I have every right as a consumer to question which is better though. And why shouldn't I when generally speakingwith past titles from various developers thathasn't been the PS3 version.

@Tebbit: It apparently did. I simplified it for you two.
    Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By Jackel2072

the PSN store might still be down. but i just think in the long run getting the PS3 version is the better bet 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.