Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Dont you wish Shepards class could factor into your interactions?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee

It's something I've always picked at even during the original Mass Effect. The story, and Shepard's interactions, seem to essentially play along as if you're just another grunt whose sole skill is with weapons. A charismatic grunt for sure, but none of Shepard's potential biotic or tech abilities ever come to mention. It was the most notable with your conversations with Kaiden as he drones on and on about his rough education (this scene would greatly prosper from a renegade action notice) with biotics and the L2 implants, while I'm there as an Adept wondering ''where the fuck was I?'' What sort of implants does Shepard have?'' ect.

I would never have expected Shepard to be completely transformed as a character with the addition of tech and/or biotic skills, but some dialogue at least would have been appreciated. The Mass Effect series' most common repercussion from your choices is through some extra snippets of dialogue after all, so it's a surprise as to why Shepard's specific skills didn't bring about any.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By nintendoeats

I have also felt this way, but I can respect that every new factor that they include vastly increases the script size and amount of voice acting that they need.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Dany

It would be cool to have some dialogue like in ME1 with Kaiden, but I would also love some more background things making it in the game

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By eroticfishcake

Dragon Age did a similar thing with the player's class didn't it? I can't remember much but it was a nice touch when it worked so it'll be nice to see something like that in ME3.

Kelswitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Kelswitch

It was especially annoying in Lair Of The Shadow Broker where you saw Liara and the other biotic Asari going nuts with their powers in a cutscene flying outta windows and such. Then you see Shepard bumbling away falling down out the window etc while im supposed to feel that my Shepard was an out-and-out biotic badass, borderline untouchable.  
    So yeah class specific interactions in ME3 would really help.

Avatar image for coheedfavorhouse
    CoheedFavorHouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By CoheedFavorHouse
    @eroticfishcake: i think it just had NPC's react differently if you were an elf of a mage or something,
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Yummylee
    @eroticfishcake said:
    " Dragon Age did a similar thing with the player's class didn't it? I can't remember much but it was a nice touch when it worked so it'll be nice to see something like that in ME3. "
    Totally. Playing as a rogue gave you extra quests but as a Mage, there was a considerable amount of deviation with dialogue choices and not to mention how some people would respond to you. Not to mention whether you were a human or elf mage, at that. Unsurprising for a game like Dragon Age, though, with its extreme focus on allowing you create your own unique character and witness its unique effects towards characters and the world.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Yummylee

On the tech side of things as well, if Shepard's going to be an Engineer then let me have the ability to overload the never ending stream of hacks! Or have some kind of benefit, or just something.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xyzygy

Alpha Protocol did this with the Recruit and Veteran classes. It was pretty cool.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Not really, because that stuff may have had a bit of an impact in the first game, but by the third game, Shepard is so famous (or infamous) across the galaxy that I don't think his particular brand of ass-kicking would really factor into much. 

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Yummylee
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    " Not really, because that stuff may have had a bit of an impact in the first game, but by the third game, Shepard is so famous (or infamous) across the galaxy that I don't think his particular brand of ass-kicking would really factor into much.  "
    It's not like I'm asking it to shape the entire story; just some actual acknowledgement. Plus Kelswitch's comment is another really good point regarding the ridiculousness of Shepard's biotic/tech skills being completely ignored on a cinematic level. v

@Kelswitch said:
    " It was especially annoying in Lair Of The Shadow Broker where you saw Liara and the other biotic Asari going nuts with their powers in a cutscene flying outta windows and such. Then you see Shepard bumbling away falling down out the window etc while im supposed to feel that my Shepard was an out-and-out biotic badass, borderline untouchable.  So yeah class specific interactions in ME3 would really help. "
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By napalm
    @Kelswitch said:
    " It was especially annoying in Lair Of The Shadow Broker where you saw Liara and the other biotic Asari going nuts with their powers in a cutscene flying outta windows and such. Then you see Shepard bumbling away falling down out the window etc "
    lmaolmaolmao
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @Abyssfull: Yeah, that totally makes sense, but I'm looking at it from the point of view of someone who always played soldier (aside from when I S-Ranked ME1 and had to create a couple more characters), so I was thinking of it more as me not wanting to miss out on something because I chose guns over Biotics.  

But I do agree that there are lots of little things like that which could be done to improve the overall experience. Also, things like having squadmates react more on missions that aren't their specific loyalty ones, but we can't get everything, right? I mean, they only have so much time to put into a game, so obviously they can't have thought of everything, or had the time to implement everything. 
    dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By dtat

I feel like the background of Shepard is way more important than his/her class, but I can see some branching dialogue based on your class.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Yummylee

@MooseyMcMan said:

" @Abyssfull: Yeah, that totally makes sense, but I'm looking at it from the point of view of someone who always played soldier (aside from when I S-Ranked ME1 and had to create a couple more characters), so I was thinking of it more as me not wanting to miss out on something because I chose guns over Biotics. But I do agree that there are lots of little things like that which could be done to improve the overall experience. Also, things like having squadmates react more on missions that aren't their specific loyalty ones, but we can't get everything, right? I mean, they only have so much time to put into a game, so obviously they can't have thought of everything, or had the time to implement everything. "

Did you only play through once, or least only as a male? If so then there would have been a lot you inevitably missed out on with those other variables alone, never mind if your class could determine anything into the game.

And yeah, I know, there has to be cuts somewhere, but still, I would have figured that Shepard's class alternating some dialogue sequences would have ranked up there pretty high. They even recommend playing through again as another class for ''an entirely different experience'' during the loading screens. Obviously that's solely meant for the class specific ability, but still sold it a little more than it deserved.

garyoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By garyoldman

Something I would hope to see! i get what your saying, but I want to say, im not sure though, maybe the difference in what a game can do or not is in the format, i.e. DVD, blu ray, download. But then again, I was expecting to see people walking up and down the stands in madden... something done really well in MLB The Show. Im Ramblin, I understand if nobody gets what Im sayning

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I remember Kaidan in ME1 saying something about Shep's implants if you're a biotic user.
    Can't recall what but I'm pretty sure!

But yes, it would be great for stuff like Shadowbroker cutscene but overall meh I wouldn't miss it.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @Abyssfull: I definitely have played through both games enough to see all sorts of different paragon and renegade stuff, but that was mainly with my soldier character. I think I did play through my biotic guy to the end at least once, but I know my that once I got the last tech power Achievement, I stopped playing then and there, because at the time I needed a break from so much Mass Effect.  

I only ever played as male Shepard though, because Canadian sounding/Dutch model looking Shepard is the only Shepard for me.  

Also, I still don't really think that beyond a couple of instances like those biotic terrorists in the first game, there weren't really too many situations where there could have been different dialog stuff. 
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Yummylee
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    " I remember Kaidan in ME1 saying something about Shep's implants if you're a biotic user. Can't recall what but I'm pretty sure!  But yes, it would be great for stuff like Shadowbroker cutscene but overall meh I wouldn't miss it. "
    Played through that again fairly recently, as an Adept, and I remember pretty distinctly that there was no mention of Shep's biotic implants.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Animasta
    @xyzygy said:
    " Alpha Protocol did this with the Recruit and Veteran classes. It was pretty cool. "
    it actually did it a fair bit with the other class stuff too. Operative etc.
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Abyssfull said:

" @TaliciaDragonsong said:

" I remember Kaidan in ME1 saying something about Shep's implants if you're a biotic user. Can't recall what but I'm pretty sure!  But yes, it would be great for stuff like Shadowbroker cutscene but overall meh I wouldn't miss it. "

Played through that again fairly recently, as an Adept, and I remember pretty distinctly that there was no mention of Shep's biotic implants. "
    I think there's only one bit of dialogue that mentions it, which is Kaidan mentioning Shepard is an unusually strong L3 biotic that matches his L2 output. <- From a moderator on the Bioware forums.
    I'll fire up Mass Effect 1 tomorrow and find you that piece of conversation!

Youtube failed me but I remember it because I found it cool that the game picked up on such a detail.

Edit: Wiki to the rescue!
     If Shepard has any biotic talents, Kaidan will claim that though his abilities spike higher than most L3s, Shepard is the exception, indicating that the Commander is an L3
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Yummylee
    @TaliciaDragonsong:  
    Huh.. well... IIII dunno. I left that selfish biotic to die on Virmire, though, so maybe it was during one of the later convos.
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Abyssfull said:
    " @TaliciaDragonsong:  Huh.. well... IIII dunno. I left that selfish biotic to die on Virmire, though, so maybe it was during one of the later convos. "
    I explored every available dialogue option in that game I think...I mean I had 26 saves to import to ME2 when I fired that up the first time.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Yummylee
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    " @Abyssfull said:
    " @TaliciaDragonsong:  Huh.. well... IIII dunno. I left that selfish biotic to die on Virmire, though, so maybe it was during one of the later convos. "
    I explored every available dialogue option in that game I think...I mean I had 26 saves to import to ME2 when I fired that up the first time. "
    Fiiiine. Still, that's about the extent of it so my complaints still stand. U_U
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Abyssfull said:
    " @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    " @Abyssfull said:
    I explored every available dialogue option in that game I think...I mean I had 26 saves to import to ME2 when I fired that up the first time. "
    Fiiiine. Still, that's about the extent of it so my complaints still stand. U_U "
    Sure, just adding in that it is noticed.
    It's probably too much work to get all that done in the script...but lil references would be nice.
    General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By General_D23
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    " @Abyssfull said:
    That dialogue is definitely pretty early in the game, from what I recall...I want to say one of the first conversations you can have with him. You can definitely chat up Chakwas immediately about it, and I'm pretty sure that dialogue changes depending on Shepard being a biotic or not.
    MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MarkWahlberg

I play as an infiltrator, which fits alright with the cutscenes. What I really want is for your background to play a larger role. My shepard was severely traumatized by Cerberus on Akuze,  but he just straight up ignores that through the entire game. Makes absolutely NO sense. You can't just say it's an issue of having to make dialogue for every tiny option, because it's straight up fiction-breaking for Shepard not to confront anyone about it.

WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

It would be great if there something like this, probably along the lines of the speciality dialogue options in New Vegas. I the one case I can remember was an Adept option but I think that was only aboard the Normandy. 

I feel like the Cerberus thing was hand-waved after the very beginning, Shepard should still take more an issue with it, even when you select the most challenging options they seem tame.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Yummylee
    @MarkWahlberg said:
    " I play as an infiltrator, which fits alright with the cutscenes. What I really want is for your background to play a larger role. My shepard was severely traumatized by Cerberus on Akuze,  but he just straight up ignores that through the entire game. Makes absolutely NO sense. You can't just say it's an issue of having to make dialogue for every tiny option, because it's straight up fiction-breaking for Shepard not to confront anyone about it. "
    I know what you mean. I always just outright forget the whole Origin story stuff because of how little it's referenced.
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By NTM

Don't know if you know, but there is a part in the original Mass Effect where there is a character in it that's only in it if you have the spacer background you choose which is cool.  Not the this really has anything to do with your problems, but still.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I wouldn't mind some extra character interaction options. Just imagine how much of a dick you could truly be if you were a renegade biotic. I'd be trippin fools left and right.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Yummylee
    @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    " I wouldn't mind some extra character interaction options. Just imagine how much of a dick you could truly be if you were a renegade biotic. I'd be trippin fools left and right. "

Fucking yes! Biotic enhanced renegade actions mid dialogue would be brutal! 

@NTM said:

"
    Don't know if you know, but there is a part in the original Mass Effect where there is a character in it that's only in it if you have the spacer background you choose which is cool.  Not the this really has anything to do with your problems, but still.

"
    Yeah, there's loads of small tid bits like that based on your origin - for the original Mass Effect at least. ME2 literally boiled it down to a couple of references in particular chats with your party, like when Miranda explains how you achieved your greatness through sheer skill and she was engineered for it blah blah PMS.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By mordukai
    @Abyssfull:
     I still don't understand why people pick the Soldier class. It's hands down the most boring class with the least amount of variety.  There's only one saving graces about it. That the would the option to pick the M-98 Widow sniper rifle at a cretin point (I won't spoilt it) in the game which is the best (none heavy) weapon in the game. When you combine it with the Heightened Adrenalin Rush can deal the most amount of damage for a single shot outside of the M-920 Cain. It's kinda funny because most people who play as a Soldier don't pick the sniper rifle weapon nit realizing how powerful it is but opt to go with the shotgun or assault. I played as a soldier on one play through and after 15 hours I had to give up. Boring Boring Boring. 
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Yummylee
    @Mordukai said:
    " @Abyssfull:
     I still don't understand why people pick the Soldier class. It's hands down the most boring class with the least amount of variety.  There's only one saving graces about it. That the would the option to pick the M-98 Widow sniper rifle at a cretin point (I won't spoilt it) in the game which is the best (none heavy) weapon in the game. When you combine it with the Heightened Adrenalin Rush can deal the most amount of damage for a single shot outside of the M-920 Cain. It's kinda funny because most people who play as a Soldier don't pick the sniper rifle weapon nit realizing how powerful it is but opt to go with the shotgun or assault. I played as a soldier on one play through and after 15 hours I had to give up. Boring Boring Boring.  "
    I totally agree. Just so plain and with it relying mostly on ME2's not-so-stellar shooting made my soldier playthrough pretty boring. I recall I even ignored recruiting Thane and Samara because I just wanted to get that playthrough over with. 
    I then used that Shepard for my insanity run, just this time as a Sentinel, and that's what he's going to go with for ME3 X) 

Maybe they'll improve all classes with some more passive abilities/combat skills (like soldier's could equip more heavy ammunition by default) and the like, but if the Soldier stays the same way in ME3 then it'll be getting the cold shoulder from me U.U
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#35  Edited By mordukai
    @Abyssfull said:

" @Mordukai said:

" @Abyssfull:
     I still don't understand why people pick the Soldier class. It's hands down the most boring class with the least amount of variety.  There's only one saving graces about it. That the would the option to pick the M-98 Widow sniper rifle at a cretin point (I won't spoilt it) in the game which is the best (none heavy) weapon in the game. When you combine it with the Heightened Adrenalin Rush can deal the most amount of damage for a single shot outside of the M-920 Cain. It's kinda funny because most people who play as a Soldier don't pick the sniper rifle weapon nit realizing how powerful it is but opt to go with the shotgun or assault. I played as a soldier on one play through and after 15 hours I had to give up. Boring Boring Boring.  "
    I totally agree. Just so plain and with it relying mostly on ME2's not-so-stellar shooting made my soldier playthrough pretty boring. I recall I even ignored recruiting Thane and Samara because I just wanted to get that playthrough over with. I then used that Shepard for my insanity run, just this time as a Sentinel, and that's what he's going to go with for ME3 X)  Maybe they'll improve all classes with some more passive abilities/combat skills (like soldier's could equip more heavy ammunition by default) and the like, but if the Soldier stays the same way in ME3 then it'll be getting the cold shoulder from me U.U "
    There loads of improvement to the classes they can make. I have a loooong list on how to improve. I opt to go with an Infiltrator for the insanity run. It's almost like a soldier but with way more variety. Eventually  had t give up for the dumb ass team AI.  

NO Miranada. Kneeling on some boxes is not considered "Taking Cover"
    Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36  Edited By Junkerman
    @Abyssfull:   Its either Kaiden, when he's talking about his implants or doctor Chawkwas when you ask her about Kaiden; but there is for sure a mention by one of them (or both) that shepard has L3 implants.  This always stands out to me, because I've never played a biotic character and they still reference it.

**Edit**
    Nevermind, didnt read the last post.  Dragonsong beat me to it!
    UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By UnrealDP

Not really i mean maybe it's just me but locking away small gems of text because i like shooting dudes instead of throwing them into the air sounds kinda jankey. I dont it wouldnt be a big deal either way.
    FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FreakAche

Mordin > Tali > Legion > Garrus > Miranda > Wrex > Ashley > Grunt > Jack > Thane > Liara > Jacob > Kaiden > Samara

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#39  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

It could be awesome but with the amound of things going into each dialog already it would be crazy.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MarkWahlberg
    @Abyssfull said:

@NTM said:

"

Yeah, there's loads of small tid bits like that based on your origin - for the original Mass Effect at least. ME2 literally boiled it down to a couple of references in particular chats with your party, like when Miranda explains how you achieved your greatness through sheer skill and she was engineered for it blah blah PMS. "
    I think each background has a special character/side quest that appears in ME1; I ended up having to shoot mine. But Miranda and Jacob straight up ask you about how you dealt with Akuze when they're testing your memory, and the lack of an "You dickwads killed my men and gave me a badass scar" dialogue option was very odd.

@Mordukai said:
    " @Abyssfull:

I love that gun. Playing as infiltrator, they give you the option to pick that, or get the ability to use the assault rifle or something else. I was like, "If I wanted to use an assault rifle, I would have picked the fucking Soldier class. I want to snipe bitches. Hard".  As frustrated as I get with the Infiltrator class, I'd still pick it every time over Shooty McLamepants.
    SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SlightConfuse

i second renagade biotic interupts. that would awesome

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Yummylee

@UnrealDP said:

" Not really i mean maybe it's just me but locking away small gems of text because i like shooting dudes instead of throwing them into the air sounds kinda jankey. I dont it wouldnt be a big deal either way. "

What about the small gems of text that are locked away because of your origin, gender and with how many paragon/renegade points you have?.. There's already quite a few variables in there to begin with, so.

sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By sfighter21
    @xyzygy said:
    " Alpha Protocol did this with the Recruit and Veteran classes. It was pretty cool. "
    How much is that game worth, in your opinion??  Even with some of the negative reviews, I still have this need to experience it.  What is the highest I should pay for this game?
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By meteora

Its a shame that Bioware didn't gear the dialogue and scenes to make it more class-oriented. Because I sure as hell don't think a Infiltrator would go in guns blazing. >_<

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By xyzygy
    @sfighter21 said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    How much is that game worth, in your opinion??  Even with some of the negative reviews, I still have this need to experience it.  What is the highest I should pay for this game? "
    I paid 10 bucks CAD for it. I would glady have paid double that. Given that fact that it's already over half a year old, 20 bucks is a good price. It's a really great game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.