Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 21, 2017

Set in a galaxy far from the Milky Way, Mass Effect: Andromeda puts players in the role of a Pathfinder tasked with exploring new habitable worlds and investigating mysterious technology.

Halo 4's Lead Writer Joins New Mass Effect

• 103 results
    Avatar image for steelknight2000
    steelknight2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

So everyone knows who the villain is except the audience.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I don't like how Patrick tends to get more and more aggressive and negative in his news articles. This and the Witcher 3 DLC news kinda makes me wonder what his aim is.

AdamALC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By AdamALC

Can't be any worse than where the original trilogy went.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't play the original Halo trilogy, but if Halo 4 is any indication, the two franchises seem to cover very similar ground, plotwise, so one writer moving from one to the other wouldn't feel too out of place.

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

How about hiring from established mediums that have awesome writers like movies or books? More movement between the mediums would be awesome.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By SethMode

@almostswedish said:

I said this when Drew and Alexis played through it: Halo 4 has Metal Gear Solid levels of stupidity, and NOT in the good way. He might be a great writer, but Halo was not the right place for his writing.

Definitely agree! Although I think some people are unfairly writing (nailed it) him off because Halo 4 wasn't that great of a story. It doesn't make him a bad writer. Halo fiction has been spiraling out of control for a while now.

Mass Effect fiction though? Oh, crap. Nevermind.

Either way, I'm fine with waiting this out and not automatically assuming this is going to be bad.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I don't understand why the lead writer isn't someone who already wrote for Mass Effect. A lot of those people exist. I don't want someone with a movie and tv background.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#58  Edited By korolev

Halo 4's storyline wasn't exactly the best. It depended far too much on the player being familiar with the backstory of the Halo Universe, and as someone who likes the Halo games but wouldn't describe myself as a "superfan", the story felt borderline incomprehensible at times. Mass Effect was great in that it had a huge backstory, but you didn't NEED to read it to understand the basic plot points.

I hope to whatever deity is out there that he is not the lead writer.

Jangowuzhere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By Jangowuzhere

I disagree, I think Halo 4 had a fine story. Out of all the Halo games, Halo 4 was the only one where I actually understood what was going on.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

more like halo bore amirite

TheShrubber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By TheShrubber

I'm still confused when it comes to writing story in videogames. But yeah, I wouldn't hold it against him for Halo 4's story (which I didn't play, just going by the general consensus here). The thing is, like in movies, so many bad things can occur between writing a story up to the final product, I can never fully blame the writer on just a single project.

Also: say what you want about the ending of the Mass Effect trilogy, I appreciate it more and more for the single fact that it had a definite ending.

Dberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spitz1000 said:

As long as it's not a writer who worked on Destiny, I'm good.

Destiny had writers?

'Had'. To be fair, the writer for Destiny left mid-project.

blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By blair

I don't like this.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Hopefully he got tired of writing about rampancy. They kind of have to nail ME4 or its going to be the Medal of Honor "we cant make another one of these for a while" situation all over again.

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a Halo fan, the weakest part of Halo 4 wasn't its story. Yes, it relied on you knowing aspects of the larger Halo fiction, but that does not make its story weak.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked moments from Halo 4 and some of the characters like Sarah Palmer but the Forerunner stuff was handled sloppily and the villain was super generic.

I'm still very curious to what changed that made Ryan Payton leave the project. One of the writers of Destiny recently left Bungie for Telltale. Halo's focus is gameplay so I imagine its very tempting for a writer to go from a studio where story is a secondary concern to a studio where story is the driving force behind design is very appealing.

greyfoxv1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@sanzee said:

Halo 4's storyline was fine. The problem was that it assumed you had read all the books. If you had read all the books, it was a real treat. If you hadn't read the books, you were left scratching your head. Especially about the Didact and what not.

Then it's a story told badly so...bad story. If the audience doesn't know what the hell you're characters are talking about then you're doing a bad job. Whether that is Schlerf's fault or someone else we do not know.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By NTM

Halo 4 had a good story as long as you got to know what was going on. Sure, if you merely saw what was in the cutscenes during the campaign, it'd be a bit confusing, like who are the Prometheans, and who is Didact? That's, with the collectibles in game easy to figure out. The story isn't bad, so I'm not sure how that's rightfully seen as one of the worst parts.

The story is only not so great to those that have little interest in going past just the cutscenes, otherwise I think those that have enough interest would already know what's what... I just think it's a weird complaint, and not a completely valid one, unless like I said, you simply stop at the cutscenes, which isn't all the game has to offer, but I guess having to go on the internet to get some of the stuff isn't a good option.

DirkGently

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm said:

Halo 4 had a good story as long as you got to know what was going on. Sure, if you merely saw what was in the cutscenes during the campaign, it'd be a bit confusing, like who are the Prometheans, and who is Didact? That's, with the collectibles in game easy to figure out. The story isn't bad, so I'm not sure how that's rightfully seen as one of the worst parts.

The story is only not so great to those that have little interest in going past just the cutscenes, otherwise I think those that have enough interest would already know what's what... I just think it's a weird complaint, and not a completely valid one, unless like I said, you simply stop at the cutscenes, which isn't all the game has to offer, but I guess having to go on the internet to get some of the stuff isn't a good option.

Yes, part of the problem with leaving players confused and lacking in story motivations for what they were doing was first having to find the terminals, which is normally something you seek out on later replays of the campaign, then once you find one, having to quit the game, go to the waypoint app and read/watch a short clip on there, then load up the game and carry on. Or you could play the spartan-ops to get more snippets of background plot and suffer a drip feed interspersed with fighting all possible combinations of enemies/locations which got repetitive because there weren't many of each.

Even then if you happened to find half of the terminals, some key plot points would still be missing and combined with the actual gameplay which got frustratingly tedious thanks to the low diversity of enemies, I wound up just playing Halo to see what was going on with Cortana/MC. Combined with a disappointing multiplayer that had a scheme alienating large portions of the world by locking levels based on pre-order bullshit in some countries, while offering full unlocks in other countries just for launching the game once. 343 managed to take me from a big halo fan to having zero interest in playing any future halo games.

GunsAreDrawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol rip mass effect

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

#71  Edited By Chocobodude3

I liked halo 4

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

@jedted said:

He can't be any worse than Mac Walters.

Maybe he's being brought on to make Mac Walters look good.

"You think I suck, huh? Well, let's show you what would happen if someone worse had a go at it."

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

“As a writer, I write for characters,”

see, that quote makes halo 4 make a lot of sense, as it did a piss poor job setting up the trilogy, but was a good story about Chief and Cortana.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
    deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Considering Bioware's in-house writers over the last few years have done a really poor job with writing this can only be good news.

I just want to be a C-Sec cop.

TDot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

“As a writer, I write for characters,”

see, that quote makes halo 4 make a lot of sense, as it did a piss poor job setting up the trilogy, but was a good story about Chief and Cortana.

And in the end, that's the only reason I really come for BioWare games. All of their plots have been actually quite dull but its the characters that are memorable and make those games fun to play.

TDot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blair said:

I don't like this.

INTERNET COMMENT OF THE YEAR

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I'm not going to trash anyone's writing ability. Writing for games must be a thankless job, its a hard medium to tell a story in like trying to write a theater production where YOU KNOW the audience will interrupt your actors to make them teabag each other.

warpedzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best aspects of the Mass Effect series were it's characters, story, and lore. Unless they do something crazy with the combat, I can see Mass Effect 4 being a huge disappointment. While I enjoyed the Halo games, I couldn't care less about it's characters or really couldn't tell you what the hell happened story wise. That says a lot.

blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdot: Thanks Toronto! :D

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Hmm, no thank you.

skuupin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Halo 4's writing was bad. ME3's writing was bad. Oh well.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really can't understand how anyone could like the story in halo 4. Convoluted nonsense, generic ass vilain, boring ass new secondary characters with next to no screen time. I guess there's some alright but brief MC/Cortana moments but I can't get into them at all when they take place in whatever space heaven land. I mean look at this shit:

Loading Video...

(bonus points for reminding me the game ends in a fucking quick time event)

Now compare this with the much maligned mass effect 3.

Loading Video...

At least mass effect had great, colorful and reletable characters. That new lead writer hasn't shown he can even write a single good character. The kind that can make it through a whole trilogy. The kind you still want to hang out with after it's all over (looking at you citadel DLC).

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, not too bothered by this. I don't remember the dialogue in H4 being any better or worse than that of ME, and I say that as a big fan of both series.

What is important, is that some KOA: Reckoning and Gears Judgment guys are working on this, so if nothing else, the ME series will finally have some great gameplay.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#84  Edited By csl316

@sanzee said:

Halo 4's storyline was fine. The problem was that it assumed you had read all the books. If you had read all the books, it was a real treat. If you hadn't read the books, you were left scratching your head. Especially about the Didact and what not.

I don't understand this. I paid attention and was able to follow everything just fine. I didn't read that Forerunner book trilogy.

I read Fall of Reach back in the day, sure, but I had no other knowledge leading Halo 4 and understood what was happening and what the Didact was up to.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdot said:

@blair said:

I don't like this.

INTERNET COMMENT OF THE YEAR

i'm just hoping there's a "Biggest Blown Out Of Proportion Internet Freak-Out Award" in the GOTY this year.

TheWind89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By TheWind89

@soap said:

Halo has a story?

At the time of the original's release, I was sure that it was the best story I had ever seen in a first person game on a console. It was cinematic and absorbing in a way that no previous game had been. Maybe that was just the honeymoon and it doesn't hold up. I'm looking forward to finding out with the Master Chief Collection next week.

Regardless, Halo 4's story was a convoluted mess with way too many sci-fi tropes to be entertaining.

I thought you were describing Half-Life there for a sec until you said console, makes me wonder how many kids would have attached to Half-Life instead of Halo if they just had access to a PC. Halo is solid but it always seemed like a descendant of generic and over militarized games like Doom. I cant blame the guy for having a simpler take on halo 4 with the whole all story thing, not a lot of interesting stuff there in my opinion (but hey some people didn't have a PC in 1995 so I understand if you don't see where i'm coming from).

Avatar image for theterriblefamiliar
    TheTerribleFamiliar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theterriblefamiliar said:

@soap said:

Halo has a story?

At the time of the original's release, I was sure that it was the best story I had ever seen in a first person game on a console. It was cinematic and absorbing in a way that no previous game had been. Maybe that was just the honeymoon and it doesn't hold up. I'm looking forward to finding out with the Master Chief Collection next week.

Regardless, Halo 4's story was a convoluted mess with way too many sci-fi tropes to be entertaining.

I thought you were describing Half-Life there for a sec until you said console, makes me wonder how many kids would have attached to Half-Life instead of Halo if they just had access to a PC. Halo is solid but it always seemed like a descendant of generic and over militarized games like Doom. I cant blame the guy for having a simpler take on halo 4 with the whole all story thing, not a lot of interesting stuff there in my opinion (but hey some people didn't have a PC in 1995 so I understand if you don't see where i'm coming from).

I was in high school in 1995 and I built a PC specifically to play Half-Life. It was a great gaming experience. There was nothing else like it at the time either. You're right - Half-Life is the reason I qualified my Halo statement with "console". After Halo was released, it felt like a better overall package to me in terms of story and accessibility, but I recognize that the format of a cinematic shooter was established more or less by Half-Life.

In terms of multiplayer, it was easier for me to get a group of friends together to play a few rounds of Halo than it was Half-Life after college. They're both great games. Halo just left the more lasting impression on me.

TheWind89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By TheWind89
    blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jangowuzhere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subyman said:

How about hiring from established mediums that have awesome writers like movies or books? More movement between the mediums would be awesome.

Infinity Ward hired the writer of Traffic to work on Call of Duty: Ghosts, and it was easily the worst CoD story ever made.

Famed military author Jim DeFelice worked on Assault Horizon, but it was as generic as any other video game story involving Russians as the enemy.

Great writers from other forms of media don't translate well into video games. I imagine that they write the story like a regular book or movie without recognizing that it's a game. The developers then have to rip apart the story just to make it work as an interactive medium.

abrasion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know much about Halo 4 but I know what I think about 1 and 2 - and god help me if he's as bad as the people who wrote that schlock. Boy oh boy.

abrasion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jangowuzhere:

Terry Pratchett's daughter did a pretty slick job in Tomb Raider (the new one) the writing was .... very surprisingly good.

Jangowuzhere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Jangowuzhere

@abrasion said:

@jangowuzhere:

Terry Pratchett's daughter did a pretty slick job in Tomb Raider (the new one) the writing was .... very surprisingly good.

Really? I thought the writing was the worst thing about that game. All of the characters were one dimensional stereotypes and Lara's arc from normal everyday girl to bad ass adventurer is completely unbelievable.

Again, it felt like a story that did not work for a video game. A woman thrust unto a deadly island who changes by the end could work for a movie or book, but it doesn't work for a shooter.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Good luck to him. It can't be easy to have this many eyes on him.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#95  Edited By Humanity

Any writer coming over from the Halo franchise to Mass Effect would be bad news. None of the Halo games had particularly deep or involved stories. People like to dump on Halo 4 but seriously, Halo 1 is as generic as it gets. Halo has always been the super generic sci fi shooter experience. Maybe in the Mass Effect universe this guy can spread his wings now that he's not writing for an emotionless green helmet that goes around shooting bad guys and then wins in about 7-8 hours.

spctre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Halo 4's story was fine. Not as good as the earlier games, but still fine. That doesn't fill me with any confidence nor any dread for Mass Effect.

Yeah, pretty much.

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subyman said:

Infinity Ward hired the writer of Traffic to work on Call of Duty: Ghosts, and it was easily the worst CoD story ever made.

Famed military author Jim DeFelice worked on Assault Horizon, but it was as generic as any other video game story involving Russians as the enemy.

Great writers from other forms of media don't translate well into video games. I imagine that they write the story like a regular book or movie without recognizing that it's a game. The developers then have to rip apart the story just to make it work as an interactive medium.

Anecdotal evidence. We have no clue how much creative control they had, if any.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: The difference between halo 1-3 and 4 ( also Reach and ODST to some extent) is that the main line games knew what they were. Cool sci fi action games with just enough character and mystery to the universe to keep you interested. Cortana and master chief were never the greatest duo but they had an interesting dynamic going. The halo universe was not the most original sci fi universe but it was interesting (giant space rings super weapons, unstoppable alien parasite, etc) and had enough mystery to keep you hooked. In halo 4 and the side stories they focused too much on characters when those characters really couldn't deliver beyond the usual ''man of action'' persona. They also lost the mystery when everything was pretty much known by the end of halo 3 and they only added new stuff that didn't fit in the universe or were all that intriguing.

What's interesting about a villain known by everyone except the player with next to no character and generic motivations(Halo 4)? What's interesting about a new race of alien they pulled out of their ass but were somehow instrumental in winning the war even though we've never seen them before (ODST)? What's interesting about the origin story of cortana when it didn't amount to anything relevant in the main events of the franchise?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#99  Edited By Humanity

@pyrodactyl: As ridiculous as a drama between a stoic space grunt and a computer program was I actually considered it the best part of Halo 4. This emotional bond that forms between Master Chief and Cortana kind of underlines how messed up that character really is - how basically a computer program is the dearest "person" in his entire life. All the other stuff surrounding their affairs was your standard Halo space-opera: here come the big bad aliens and we have to stop them again, albeit this time no one had time to introduce them so they're even more arbitrary than the covenant. All that wasn't very interesting to me personally, but the part where Master Chief is sort of like an emotionally stunted child thats suddenly discovering emotions when this little hologram he's grown up with is about to go away was really intriguing. In the grand scheme of things it didn't really make sense why Cortana was suddenly becoming so lifelike (not to mention the body overhaul) but I genuinely enjoyed all her scenes and thought they were delivered quite well. The fact that all her melodrama was being bounced off this emotionless husk only amplified the nuance of their "relationship."

EDIT: You know, if by the end of that game they suddenly found a magic machine that would transfer Cortana into a human body and she'd become this real person and they had that scene in the end where she touches him for the first time and takes off his helmet.. that would be cheesy as all hell but I'd be totally into it.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I have played, beaten, and enjoyed every Halo game and I cannot explain the story at all besides kill aliens.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.