Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Everyone's Favorite Italian Finds His Way Onto the 3DS

• 101 results
    vinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By vinny

If there are two things New York excels at during January, it's cold weather and extremely cold weather. Recently, Nintendo invited a small group of press in from the chilly streets of SoHo to come warm their hands against its latest portable offering, the Nintendo 3DS. Outside a nondescript building, awash in exhaust from the city's mechanized army of morning commuters, I eagerly waited in a huddled mass of my peers, kept warm by my cheap black coffee and the notion that by the afternoon I would have my first real experience with Nintendo's hotly anticipated new handheld.

I will buy almost anything from this man.
    The event kicked off with Nintendo punctuality. The always impressive Reggie Fils-Aime took the stage and proceeded to pitch the crowd on his new product. A telescoping stylus, backwards compatibility with DSi and DS games, motion sensors, and of course 3D. A bit of time was spent listing off games available at launch, and within a launch window defined as the time between launch and this year's E3.

Of course, our intimate audience was waiting on what was probably the day's biggest news, the price at launch. Reggie donned his used-car-salesman's smile and teased the crowd that focus groups claimed they would be happy to part with between $300 and $400 for this technical marvel. Reggie's smile shifted from saccharine to sly and revealed that Nintendo would, in fact, be ready to put you behind the wheel of a 3DS for the low-low price of $249.99 on March 27th, 2011. (Reggie didn't mention he would lose his job if we told his boss about this incredible deal he just gave America.)

We were released to an adjacent room to see and play the 3DS ourselves, and I immediately set my sights on Pilotwings. The all-new analog stick on the 3DS really helps with steering the vehicles, which include a plane, hang glider, and the always-welcome rocket belt. I did some training missions with all three and found the experience to resemble my memories of Pilotwings back on the Super Nintendo, which is to say, I really enjoyed it. I can't say there's much more than "Pilotwings" in what I got to play, but for some that may be enough.

Designing the controls intelligently will be key to successful 3DS games.
    I moved onto Steel Diver, which puts you in control of a submarine in two distinctly different gameplay modes. One sequence has you using the touch screen and stylus to manipulate depth and throttle sliders to maneuver your side-scrolling sub through obstacles. That part was was fairly routine, but the other mode is what really caught my attention. Using the motion sensing capabilities of the 3DS, you simulate looking through a periscope, turning your entire body 360 degrees as you search for enemy ships on the horizon. Once you spot your target you fire away and take them down. While it sounds pretty simplistic, the mapping of your rotating body to the rotation of the periscope feels great and very natural. In my opinion it was the best use of the motion controls on display at the entire event.

Super Street Fighter IV 3D was next on my list. From what I played, it seems like a completely competent version of the game. It looks great, and the frame rate seems solid, even though you'll get 60 FPS at 2D versus a halved 30 FPS when playing in 3D. There are some other superficial changes, like Dynamic View, which changes the camera angle to more of a three-quarter perspective. Dynamic View didn't seem like the way anybody would want to actually play the game, but considering you'll be able to spectate during online and local matches, it might be a fun way to watch. The touch screen can display shortcuts to your Supers and special moves, but it's completely optional, and you can filter your competitive matches to exclude folks who indulge in that brand of insanity. 

Super Street Fighter IV 3D was also one of the more interesting examples of the 3DS's new StreetPass feature. Within SSFIV 3D you can build little teams of figurines you've purchased from the game using points you accrued during your playtime . Once you've assembled your figurine fighting force, you can exit the game, even close the 3DS, and then engage any other SSIV 3D and StreetPass enabled 3DS that has the balls to come within striking distance of yours. Later, when you check back in on your gang, you'll see the outcome of any battles that may have occurred while you weren't looking. It sounds fun, but it also sounds like something a lot of folks just won't experience on a large scale because of where and how many of us play our handhelds.

The 3D may not immaculately manicure your nails but it definitely works.

Next stop was the augmented reality station. A helpful Nintendo attendant placed a black card with a question mark printed on it in front of us on a table. She then pointed the 3DS at it and used the cameras on the backside of the 3DS to display video of the table and card on the 3DS screens. Within moments, the card appeared to unfold on the table and multiple targets sprang up. It was up to me to position myself around the ordinary-card-turned-virtual-targets and shoot them all. After I had eliminated them, a rather mean dragon appeared and I had to maneuver to find its weak spots and take him down. The whole experience was really impressive. Unlike other recent attempts to inject more variety into the way we interact with games, the augmented reality left me eager to get on board with the technology. The session was short, and it wasn't perfect. The system would occasionally get confused with the tracking, which would cause the screen to fuzz out like an analog TV with a bad reception. The lapse was only momentary and it would reengage quickly, allowing me to continue playing in an environment that felt more like science fiction than reality, even if it was augmented.

Kid Icarus rises up.
     Kid Icarus rises up.
    There were plenty of other items on display. Face Raiders was another, though less impressive, augmented reality game. Kid Icarus: Uprising was on display, which puts you on rails through some air combat and combines it with some fast and furious ground levels. There was a new release of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, with updated graphics and the addition of some tilt controls, most noticeably during the first-person aiming portions. I also played Ridge Racer 3D, Dead or Alive: Dimensions, Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D, and more which all claimed to be releasing at launch or during the launch window. While some of these games seemed impressive on their own, they didn't really strike me as anything that was taking full advantage of all of the fun technology that Nintendo has packed into the 3DS. If God had intended all things to be portable, he wouldn't have made HDMI.

The one aspect that was shared across every game I played that day was the 3D. While it's right there in the system's name, the 3D portion of the 3DS seemed to have the least impact on me in terms of gameplay. It worked, for sure, and objects receded into space as intended, but it was sometimes disorienting and I found myself turning the slider to 2D when my eyes just didn't want to deal with it anymore. On every game I played, the 3D was purely cosmetic, and disabling it didn't seem to change the gameplay. The 3DS has so many new features that actually allow us to interact and play games in interesting and novel ways; putting so much muscle behind an entirely cosmetic attraction seems to sell the rest of the system short.

The 3DS has a lot of promise. When developers tap into the combinations of controls the system has on offer we will be having experiences that just aren't possible to replicate on any other platform. There is no question that the 3DS is a worthy successor to the DS. The haze in the gaming crystal ball obscures whether developers take advantage of this stuff, or if we will find ourselves drowning in titles that just don't seem to meet the expectations of the console and its eager audience. I walked away from the event with the firm belief that the system is absolutely more than a DSi with added 3D. As aways, the wait is now on to find the software that make me give Nintendo my money.
    vinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By vinny

If there are two things New York excels at during January, it's cold weather and extremely cold weather. Recently, Nintendo invited a small group of press in from the chilly streets of SoHo to come warm their hands against its latest portable offering, the Nintendo 3DS. Outside a nondescript building, awash in exhaust from the city's mechanized army of morning commuters, I eagerly waited in a huddled mass of my peers, kept warm by my cheap black coffee and the notion that by the afternoon I would have my first real experience with Nintendo's hotly anticipated new handheld.

The event kicked off with Nintendo punctuality. The always impressive Reggie Fils-Aime took the stage and proceeded to pitch the crowd on his new product. A telescoping stylus, backwards compatibility with DSi and DS games, motion sensors, and of course 3D. A bit of time was spent listing off games available at launch, and within a launch window defined as the time between launch and this year's E3.

Of course, our intimate audience was waiting on what was probably the day's biggest news, the price at launch. Reggie donned his used-car-salesman's smile and teased the crowd that focus groups claimed they would be happy to part with between $300 and $400 for this technical marvel. Reggie's smile shifted from saccharine to sly and revealed that Nintendo would, in fact, be ready to put you behind the wheel of a 3DS for the low-low price of $249.99 on March 27th, 2011. (Reggie didn't mention he would lose his job if we told his boss about this incredible deal he just gave America.)

We were released to an adjacent room to see and play the 3DS ourselves, and I immediately set my sights on Pilotwings. The all-new analog stick on the 3DS really helps with steering the vehicles, which include a plane, hang glider, and the always-welcome rocket belt. I did some training missions with all three and found the experience to resemble my memories of Pilotwings back on the Super Nintendo, which is to say, I really enjoyed it. I can't say there's much more than "Pilotwings" in what I got to play, but for some that may be enough.

I moved onto Steel Diver, which puts you in control of a submarine in two distinctly different gameplay modes. One sequence has you using the touch screen and stylus to manipulate depth and throttle sliders to maneuver your side-scrolling sub through obstacles. That part was was fairly routine, but the other mode is what really caught my attention. Using the motion sensing capabilities of the 3DS, you simulate looking through a periscope, turning your entire body 360 degrees as you search for enemy ships on the horizon. Once you spot your target you fire away and take them down. While it sounds pretty simplistic, the mapping of your rotating body to the rotation of the periscope feels great and very natural. In my opinion it was the best use of the motion controls on display at the entire event.

Super Street Fighter IV 3D was next on my list. From what I played, it seems like a completely competent version of the game. It looks great, and the frame rate seems solid, even though you'll get 60 FPS at 2D versus a halved 30 FPS when playing in 3D. There are some other superficial changes, like Dynamic View, which changes the camera angle to more of a three-quarter perspective. Dynamic View didn't seem like the way anybody would want to actually play the game, but considering you'll be able to spectate during online and local matches, it might be a fun way to watch. The touch screen can display shortcuts to your Supers and special moves, but it's completely optional, and you can filter your competitive matches to exclude folks who indulge in that brand of insanity. 

Super Street Fighter IV 3D was also one of the more interesting examples of the 3DS's new StreetPass feature. Within SSFIV 3D you can build little teams of figurines you've purchased from the game using points you accrued during your playtime . Once you've assembled your figurine fighting force, you can exit the game, even close the 3DS, and then engage any other SSIV 3D and StreetPass enabled 3DS that has the balls to come within striking distance of yours. Later, when you check back in on your gang, you'll see the outcome of any battles that may have occurred while you weren't looking. It sounds fun, but it also sounds like something a lot of folks just won't experience on a large scale because of where and how many of us play our handhelds.

Next stop was the augmented reality station. A helpful Nintendo attendant placed a black card with a question mark printed on it in front of us on a table. She then pointed the 3DS at it and used the cameras on the backside of the 3DS to display video of the table and card on the 3DS screens. Within moments, the card appeared to unfold on the table and multiple targets sprang up. It was up to me to position myself around the ordinary-card-turned-virtual-targets and shoot them all. After I had eliminated them, a rather mean dragon appeared and I had to maneuver to find its weak spots and take him down. The whole experience was really impressive. Unlike other recent attempts to inject more variety into the way we interact with games, the augmented reality left me eager to get on board with the technology. The session was short, and it wasn't perfect. The system would occasionally get confused with the tracking, which would cause the screen to fuzz out like an analog TV with a bad reception. The lapse was only momentary and it would reengage quickly, allowing me to continue playing in an environment that felt more like science fiction than reality, even if it was augmented.

Kid Icarus rises up.
     Kid Icarus rises up.
    There were plenty of other items on display. Face Raiders was another, though less impressive, augmented reality game. Kid Icarus: Uprising was on display, which puts you on rails through some air combat and combines it with some fast and furious ground levels. There was a new release of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, with updated graphics and the addition of some tilt controls, most noticeably during the first-person aiming portions. I also played Ridge Racer 3D, Dead or Alive: Dimensions, Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D, and more which all claimed to be releasing at launch or during the launch window. While some of these games seemed impressive on their own, they didn't really strike me as anything that was taking full advantage of all of the fun technology that Nintendo has packed into the 3DS. If God had intended all things to be portable, he wouldn't have made HDMI.

The one aspect that was shared across every game I played that day was the 3D. While it's right there in the system's name, the 3D portion of the 3DS seemed to have the least impact on me in terms of gameplay. It worked, for sure, and objects receded into space as intended, but it was sometimes disorienting and I found myself turning the slider to 2D when my eyes just didn't want to deal with it anymore. On every game I played, the 3D was purely cosmetic, and disabling it didn't seem to change the gameplay. The 3DS has so many new features that actually allow us to interact and play games in interesting and novel ways; putting so much muscle behind an entirely cosmetic attraction seems to sell the rest of the system short.

The 3DS has a lot of promise. When developers tap into the combinations of controls the system has on offer we will be having experiences that just aren't possible to replicate on any other platform. There is no question that the 3DS is a worthy successor to the DS. The haze in the gaming crystal ball obscures whether developers take advantage of this stuff, or if we will find ourselves drowning in titles that just don't seem to meet the expectations of the console and its eager audience. I walked away from the event with the firm belief that the system is absolutely more than a DSi with added 3D. As aways, the wait is now on to find the software that make me give Nintendo my money.
    Avatar image for freezingvibrations
    FreezingVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Mario?

DJRamshackle92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DJRamshackle92

Awesome Vinny

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Aus_azn

Why do I see Pokemon BW there? I thought that was a bog-standard DS game...

McQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By McQuinn

VINNY IS GOING TO BE ON THE 3DS 

*reads article* 

sigh...

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Gizmo

You are my favourite Italian, Vinny.

sissylion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sissylion

Vinny can write, too? Christ. Why can't he be, like, my uncle? 

joey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#8  Edited By joey

aaaaa i cant waittt

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By toowalrus

You got me, Vinny. Good job. So is it much tougher to play SSFIV at 30FPS? I don't think it would be, but you never know.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By JJWeatherman

Cool write-up, Vinny! 

My 3DS excitement continues to build, yet my wallet remains at a constant. That constant being, practically empty.  :(

blackblade500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By blackblade500

So about that E-shop.......

Avatar image for deactivated-59d1ab87a7ca4
    deactivated-59d1ab87a7ca4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Gizmo said:
    " You are my favourite Italian, Vinny. "
    Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Julmust
    @FreezingVibrations:
    No... VINNY!
    Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Great article! I like the title, too.

Joey Blanton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Joey Blanton

I see what you did there. 

Pretty sneaky, Vinny.

tmj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By tmj

Thought March 27th was the release date? Vinny wrote March 3rd. :P

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Grissefar

Wow, it´s a Vinny article!

vinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By vinny
    @tmj said:
    " Thought March 27th was the release date? Vinny wrote March 3rd. :P "
    Oops, yeah, you're right! Fixed! Thanks.
    Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Dylabaloo

I think Layton will do some interesting things with the 3DS or puzzle games in general. Picross 3D 3D.

shinluis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By shinluis

Vinny is also my favorite italian.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#21  Edited By Little_Socrates

Totally dig this article, even if I already listened to you talk about just about all of this on the Bombcast, Vinny. Amazingly well-written and well-directed, and acknowledges the minor faults in a strong way. I'm sure I'll be using the 3D slider a lot, too, taking it down to 2D for most longer play sessions.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RE_Player1

My favourite Italian is Vinny :D

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By yoshimitz707

Vinny really doesn't get enough spotlight in the site. Amazing article!

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
    weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By weegieanawrench

I genuinely thought that you would be making an appearance in a 3DS game, Vinny. It's awesome to see an article from you though!

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By nick_verissimo

Ezio is coming to the 3DS!!?....oh, you're tricky Vinny.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#26  Edited By wefwefasdf

Great article, Vinny! 

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Akeldama

I also thought it was Vinny.

Sneaky_Gopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By Sneaky_Gopher

I'm pro Vinny articles. 

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By mikemcn
    @McQuinn said:
    " VINNY IS GOING TO BE ON THE 3DS  *reads article*  sigh... "
    I laughed for a good bit after reading that. 
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#30  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Good work Vinny! Quite radical. 

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#31  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Great article.  Still on the fence about picking one up on day one, but I know I'll end up picking one up sooner or later.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Dany

It is going to be a success, no doubt about that but new core Nintendo titles is what this things need and well. No new mario anything, zelda or metroid is what i can see as to the reason why their are so many skeptics

Protonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Protonguy

I really dislike Reggie for some reason. Vinny on the other hand is definitely my favourite italian ;)

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#34  Edited By Hailinel
    @Dany said:
    " It is going to be a success, no doubt about that but new core Nintendo titles is what this things need and well. No new mario anything, zelda or metroid is what i can see as to the reason why their are so many skeptics "
    Kid Icarus and Steel Diver aren't core enough for you?
    Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle

VInny writes fantastic articles. 

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
    spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

That was a great article. I enjoyed it even though I just listened to an hour of 3DS deliberations on the Bombcast. It's been a while since we've seen Vinny writing stuff up.. I'd like to see more of it though

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Dany
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Dany said:
    " It is going to be a success, no doubt about that but new core Nintendo titles is what this things need and well. No new mario anything, zelda or metroid is what i can see as to the reason why their are so many skeptics "
    Kid Icarus and Steel Diver aren't core enough for you? "
    I have only ever owned a GB and a GB Advanced, those two don't stick out to me. But the three that i mentioned are the ones from a distant viewpoint of some games they should have on launch, imo but again, been awhile since i owned a nintendo device
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#39  Edited By Hailinel
    @Dany said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Dany said:
    Kid Icarus and Steel Diver aren't core enough for you? "
    I have only ever owned a GB and a GB Advanced, those two don't stick out to me. But the three that i mentioned are the ones from a distant viewpoint of some games they should have on launch, imo but again, been awhile since i owned a nintendo device "
    Well, if what you're looking for is the Big Core Nintendo TItle for the 3DS launch, the closest you're going to get is Kid Icarus, which according to Gamestop's information should be shipping in June.  I wouldn't really sweat it, though, and I don't think that Nintendo is, either.  I mean, the games available alongside the launch of the original DS were a cavalcade of shit.  A veritable avalanche of fecal matter.  By comparison, the first three months of the 3DS's life are looking pretty darn rosy.
    MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#40  Edited By MikeFightNight

Solld write up Vinny, the 3DS has me intrigued if nothing else.
    kingofpeanuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By kingofpeanuts
    @FreezingVibrations: Vinny
    Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Detrian

Oh I thought this article was going to be some shitty Mario something announcement copy pasted from another site by Brad.

I'm glad someone else told me it wasn't.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By zityz

Professor Layton and the 3D Vinny Mishap.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#44  Edited By Trilogy
    @Detrian said:
    " Oh I thought this article was going to be some shitty Mario something announcement copy pasted from another site by Brad.  I'm glad someone else told me it wasn't. "
    Kind of funny that a video producer is a better journalist than... well a journalist. 
    cjmabry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By cjmabry

The title confused the poop out of me. 

First I was like, "Assasin's Creed?" 
    Then I was like, "Wait no, of course - Mario!" 
    Then I was like, "VINNY!?!?" 

Well played, sir.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#46  Edited By l4wd0g

Vinny's going to be on the 3DS? sweet!

***Joke

I still like Vinny more than Mario

originalgman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By originalgman

"Oh sweet, they announced a Mario game for 3DS too?"

Click, Ctrl-F, "Mario" and Enter

"Huh, nothing. Oh wait, Vinny wrote this? EVEN BETTER."

illmatic19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By illmatic19

Vinny you clever son of a bitch.

Kintaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49  Edited By Kintaro

Everyone's favorite Italian? So Vinny is coming to the 3DS?

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#50  Edited By falling_fast
    @Kintaro said:
    " Everyone's favorite Italian? So Vinny is coming to the 3DS? "
    would buy this game. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.