Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 64

Platform »

The successor to the SNES was Nintendo's entry in the fifth home console generation, as well as the company's first system designed specifically to handle polygonal 3D graphics.

Underrated N64 games?

TheKaBlammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheKaBlammer

STOP RIGHT THERE! Before you do anything, I know what you're gonna say, and before I say anything else!

MISCHIEF MAKERS SHALL NOT BE MENTIONED HERE!

Honestly, I'm sick and tired of underrated N64 game threads having the same 6 games every time, and mentioning games that aren't even close to underrated, like Donkey Kong 64 or even SMASH BROS. Anyway, because of this, here's a list of games that will not be allowed, because they have already been mentioned a dozen times.

Any game by Rareware

Any game by DMA Design

Operation: Winback

Any Goemon game

Beetle Racing Adventure

Snowboard Kids 1 or 2

This'll be a fun game of trying to find good N64 games that are not the ones everyone talks about (on different levels). Alright, I'll start:

No Caption Provided

WHY DOESN'T THIS GAME GET MORE ATTENTION?! It's Tetris, but with an extra multiplayer edge that should remind one of Panel de Pon. So, basically, it Tetris Attack with actual Tetris. Oh, and Disney. AND IT'S SO FUN. Interestingly, the music quality is surprisingly high, like, the same quality as the PS1 version, which is obviously a CD. And that's good, because the PS1 version never made it to the States. Considering that carts don't have loading times...you connect the dots. Oh, and the Game Boy Color version also is need of attention.

No Caption Provided

Huh, Disney has a record with good licensed games. Probably mentioned a few times before, but I don't care, this is a fun game based off of an awesome movie, and it deserves a few more looks. Basically, think Super Mario 64, but in normally mundane locations, and from the perspective of Buzz Lightyear. This game literally had me engaged in exploring someone's HOUSE, and it gives you the ability to shoot lasers at...evil toys...robots? Yeah, to say this game took liberties with the source material would be an understatement, but it doesn't matter. I would recommend the PS1 version, if just for CD quality music, but if you don't have one, then definitely pick it up for cheap. Just...get ready to lose to fRICking RC car multiple times and having to restart the level just to try again.

No Caption Provided

WHAT?!A Bomberman game with no multiplayer?! Preposterious! Oh well, Bomberman 64 exists for a reason. Anyway, this is actually a pretty good game. I'm not too far into it, as my younger self got stuck on the first boss and I haven't played it since, but it's still worth your time, I guess. I honestly just remember one level where Black Bomber was in a plane resting on platform and then flew away when I approached him. I kept on replaying that level to see if there were any hidden secrets that I missed, but I never found. Maybe it doesn't exist. Oh well.

So, thoughts? Any suggestions that I may want to try out?

xerseslives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By xerseslives

The N64 has such a small library and the average game quality is so low outside of the first party stuff that there really aren't that many hidden gems.

The only ones that come to mind fitting your criteria -

Ogre Battle 64

Pokemon Puzzle League (if only because it's Tetris Attack, and Tetris Attack rules)

Custom Robo

Bangai-O

Dezaemon 3D

Rocket: Robot on Wheels

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

That's a lot of things I can't name, but I'm gonna break your rule and say Snowboard Kids.

And Rush 2049.

And these aren't uncommon, but Diddy Kong Racing and Perfect Dark always seem to play second fiddle to Mario Kart 64 and Goldeneye despite being superior in every way.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#4 fisk0  Moderator

I'd say Forsaken. It wasn't quite exclusive, but the N64 version differed quite a bit from the PC and PS1 versions in level design, and was a really rad Descent style game that worked well with the N64 controller and had four player split screen. The N64's general blurriness kinda enhanced that games' art style too.

I'd also say the N64 port of Quake 1 was surprisingly decent.

Avatar image for physicalscience
    physicalscience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Diddy Kong Racing Diddy Kong Racing Diddy Kong Racing Diddy Kong Racing

Bleshoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Bleshoo

I always enjoyed Road Rash 64 and Chameleon Twist.

TaunT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was japan only but Sin and Punishment is one of the best games on the system and the fact it never came over here until a virtual console release years later is a real shame.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Tom_omb

I've always felt satisfied with the games I played on the N64 at the time. I feel like I played the games that I was interested in playing. It's not a console I look back for hidden gems, unlike the SNES. I will say I don't think I played Snowboard Kids, Geomon or Beetle Racing. Those games may have been fun to try, but I don't feel like I'm missing out on any essential part of gaming history. I might have rented that Toy Story game, but I don't recall much about it.

Racking my brain for some deep cuts I recall enjoying Earthworm Jim 64 while I rented it, but I wouldn't go as far as recommending it. Also, Crusin' USA was kind of the one driving game I got into that wasn't a kart racer.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Donkey Kong 64 is an amazing game but people are always ragging on it.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Quest 64 and Nightmare Creatures

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

N64 had a crazy small library so there's not many "hidden" gems but Pokemon Snap holds up extraordinarily well nowadays (Don't know how hidden it is, it IS Pokemon). It's very short, but its much cheaper than $60 now so I can argue that now is the time to play it. They really, REALLY should've made a sequel on Wii U.

Jet Force Gemini was a great third person shooter for the time, but doesn't control too well to today's standards.

TheKaBlammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry if I'm coming across as rude, but I did say to not mention Rareware games, as Rare's "underrated" games are always brought up on these types of threads

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By BisonHero

I have a soft spot for Mega Man Legends, which was released on the N64 as Mega Man 64. It's a weird game that has little of the spirit of OG Mega Man or Mega Man X, and it's anime as fuck, but I liked the setting and look of the world.

Also, the Bonnes and their Servbots are amazing.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I can't believe enough people nominate Winback to have you say don't say Winback. Sorry. I thought I was the one guy who likes that game!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

The N64 was my first console, but for the most part I can't think of any especially "underrated" gems from that system. It has some of the greatest games of all time and some well made stuff from that era, but a lot of the games in its rather small library are also... not very good. I will say that it has a pretty decent port of Resident Evil 2 that somehow manages to cram in all 4 scenarios on one cartridge (and has some random, weird features that aren't in other versions of RE2), though there are still better ways to play it.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just popping in to rep my man Body Harvest. Such an ambitious game for the platform, made by a little company called DMA Design. You may have heard of them!

Jellybones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man, Beetle Adventure Racing has a special place in my heart. I don't want to go back to it because I've never played a racing game that lived up to my memories of it.

And yeah, Body Harvest is really rad and never talked about.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BATTLETANX

sku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sku

Talk smack if you want, but I kind of enjoyed Gex 3D after playing it recently. I think at the time it reviewed well, but holy moly in retrospect. Holy moly.

Honestly? I feel like the internet never underrates N64 games. I don't know what it is about the console but I don't see a whole lot of naysayers, at least not on other websites. You guys seem to know what's up.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By ch3burashka

I don't hear many people talking about Zelda. It's pretty chill.

Loading Video...

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thekablammer: You said not to mention Rare games, but there is one that is definitely underrated and a bit of a hidden gem. Donkey Kong 64. No one ever talks about it nowadays, except to rag on it and I don't really see why. Besides that game I would say that the best N64 games and the only ones really worth going back and playing are the ones that almost everyone knows.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

Misch- oh.

Didn't realize Beetle Adventure Racing was one of those games mentioned all the time. I really didn't expect it to be, that was my second choice.

Is StarCraft 64 underrated?

Avatar image for subliminalkitteh
    SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forsaken, Chameleon Twists 1 & 2, Toy Story 2, and Diddy Kong Racing.

And how is bringing up Mystical Ninja starring Goemon annoying? It's a true statement that that game is HIGHLY underrated especially since people talk more about the shitty side scrolling Goemon's Adventures.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WCW:NWO Revenge

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

There are like 7 good N64 games.

Error52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shaunk: it still has a big fanbase, and more to the point it's disliked by a lot of people because it's just...bad. It's a soulless husk of a game where in place of creativity or good level design they just take a bunch of Banjo Kazooie rejects and stuff a bunch of collectables in it.

But anyway, I'm going with Sin & Punishment. It's not a very well produced game, but it ends up being more than the sum of it's parts. It's awkward controls, ugly graphics, mediocre music and nonsensical plot all come together somehow and create something great. And the sequel on Wii was even better.

Avatar image for subliminalkitteh
    SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How could we forget the real Doom 3, the best Doom 3, the one known as Doom 64?

Is Fighter's Destiny considered underrated, maybe that's just me, but I never see it talked about either.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By mrcraggle

@fram said:

Just popping in to rep my man Body Harvest. Such an ambitious game for the platform, made by a little company called DMA Design. You may have heard of them!

Body Harvest was just super ambitious. The graphics were garbage but that game was a lot of fun, even though I was rubbish at it and I don't think I ever worked out what I needed to do to even progress past the first area. I'll give rep to another DMA Design game, Space Station Silicon Valley.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was going to say Bomberman Hero when I read the title. I don't think it holds up now but it was a decent 3D platformer back in the day.

So I'm going with Excitebike 64. It reviewed very well back in its day but I don't think many people played it because I don't hear a lot of people other than myself mention it. The best thing about it was that it has tons of modes. The core racing modes were decent but there was so much more. It of course has a track editor like the NES game, it also has the NES game, it also has a 3d remake of the NES game with its own track editor, it has a competitive hill climbing mode, it has a relaxing mode where you search a randomly generated desert for flags.

I can guarantee that people don't remember Excitebike 64 because it has a soccer mode where you drove around hitting a giant soccer ball into a net and despite all the podcast time and articles written about Rocket League last year no one mentioned this game doing a crude version of that 15 years ago.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By fram

@fram said:

Body Harvest was just super ambitious. The graphics were garbage but that game was a lot of fun, even though I was rubbish at it and I don't think I ever worked out what I needed to do to even progress past the first area. I'll give rep to another DMA Design game, Space Station Silicon Valley.

I never played SSSV, I might have to ebay that thing.

But yes, Body Harvest was hard as hell, I think I made it to the third area and never got further. That game has an awesome soundtrack too:

Loading Video...

Speaking of underrated N64 games that are hard and have awesome OSTs, I also nominate Tetrisphere. That game was fucking rad.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: Winback was the very first cover shooter, so I think at least some people have clued in and given it its due by now. At the time it really seemed to go under the radar, though: I remember an Australian publication, N64 Gamer, reporting that they handed off the cart to an intern or something expecting it to be garbage, and that guy coming back after a while and saying "holy shit this game is incredible!"

I think maybe Shadow Man fits this category, for being this long, engrossing, epic, kinda janky Zelda-esque horror thing that nobody seems to talk about anymore. I played it something like 5 years ago when I found it at a pawn shop and felt that it still held up. There was a Playstation port, but apparently it was a bad port because the PS1 couldn't handle the scale of the environments; apparently there were also PC, OS X, and Dreamcast ports, but iuno, I really think of this as a N64 game. If anyone put in the hours on PC with this, speak up I guess.

Tonic7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Tonic7

@jellybones: So you're the only other person I've ever known who loved Beetle Adventure Racing. My God, the hours my friend and I lost to that game... Other than Diddy Kong Racing, it is the racing game I think back on most fondly. Phew! I'm gonna go dig up some Youtube videos right now.

I'd also like to throw Quest 64 out there.

Jellybones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tonic7: It's SO good. Diddy Kong is also fantastic (and the hub world structure was super novel). I also really loved Top Gear Rally and Top Gear Overdrive, although I imagine those don't hold up nearly as well.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Dude Toy Story 2 was one of my favorite games (and movies) as a kid.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Mystical Mother-effing Ninja.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Tetrisphere and Beetle Adventure Racing were two of my favorite N64 games.

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
    thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By JasonR86

Forsaken 64 was a fantastic Descent rip off. Top Gear Rally and World Drivers Championship were fun racers. Shadowgate was a pretty good adventure game with a cool atmosphere. Body Harvest was a cool open world mission based action game by the team that made GTA. That's all I can think of right now.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

About six months ago I decided to revisit Rocket: Robot on Wheels and was pleasantly surprised by how well this 3D platformer held up. Rocket controls well and each new level has a new set of challenges that must be competed to earn a ticket. Which is the main collectible of this game. If you enjoy platformers this is a game worth playing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.