Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

One-Handed Gameplay

Concept »

Games that can be played with one hand, typically using only half of a standard controller or only the mouse/keyboard.

looking for games i can play after an injury

watershreder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By watershreder

iv had some nerve damage in my right arm (radial nerve palsy basically i cant lift my right hand and fingers) so im only able to use my left hand. im lookin for games i can play mostly with a mouse. i been playing a ton of civ and iv already put hundreds of hours before so its growin stale.

any suggestions are welcome.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

watershreder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

awesome thanks i will check it out

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

With Exquisite Corps going on and the new XCOM 2 expansion out in less than two weeks, there's never been a better time to jump into XCOM or XCOM 2.

On that note, most turn-based strategy games should fit the bill and will melt away your gaming time: Civ V or VI, Children of Zodiarcs, Endless Legend, Endless Space 2. Similarly, most CRPGs aren't strictly speaking turn-based but they can operate in a similar manner, so you could take a look at stuff like Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Divinity: Original Sin, and Pillars of Eternity.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By OurSin_360

You could try getting one of those left handed gaming or MMO mice with rows of buttons on the side for your thumb, i have a right handed one i bought and it seems to work pretty well for most games(havent' tried it a bunch yet though).

But anyway, 4x and strategy games are a good one. Civ, endless legend, endless space 2, Stellaris are ones i like. I think the darkest dungeon(turn based rpg) could be played with just a mouse. Check out some vids about those gaming mice and see if that would be a good investment for you, could assign wasd and some hotkeys for fps games too but would probably take some getting used to. They are really good for ARPG games like diablo and grim dawn etc.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

If you use any old xbox controller and the steam input stuff then you could map one of the sticks to WASD, put it on the floor and then play FPS games and walk with your foot. With enough thumb buttons for other stuff it might just work.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Kentucky Route Zero seems great based on the 1st ep.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Try some old point and click adventure games like The Longest Journey. That one still holds up real well.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Justin258

Diablo and its ilk.

Those old Infinity Engine games and their modern spiritual successors.

First person dungeon crawlers - Grimrock and Might and Magic X are good.

One Finger Death Punch.

Is Factorio entirely playable with a mouse?

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

You may be looking for something more active (in terms of interaction), but you can play basically all visual novels with one hand. I highly recommend Danganronpa, the Zero Escape series, and VA-11 HALL-A, and to a lesser degree stuff like Long Live the Queen and Black Closet. Steam has a ton of other great visual novels including Clannad and Steins;Gate, but I haven't finished these, so I can't personally recommend them.

I don't have a ton of experience with this genre, but point and click adventure games could also work. I finished Detention recently and really enjoyed that.

Games where you can stop the action like XCOM could also be played with one hand, although you may have to jump back and forth between the keyboard and mouse to make some navigation stuff easier.

MudKatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Try stronghold crusader! The old and janky one. I love that game, and iirc you don't use the keyboard at all. Maybe look at some turn based RPGs that you can take your time with? I think you could probably do fine in say FF Tactics or 6, though getting through menus may be a little annoying.

DarkeyeHails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Yawhg and Reigns are solid short term distractions that will go with one hand.

The Shadowrun games will work as well. No need for anything but a mouse.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bravery Default on 3ds. Love playing it one handed. Hur hur.

rockyboyussr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darkest Dungeon would work. Pillars of Eternity or the Divinity games probably too.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Can't go wrong with some Sims. I think Banished might be solely playable via a mouse too, and that was a really neat city builder. Plague Inc. is a fun little world domination game with really simple mouse controls. Gets a bit repetitive but it's definitely got a lot going for it. The Blackwell series, Technobabylon, Kentucky Route Zero, and many, many adventure games should be great for what you're after.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LeStephan

FTL <3 (Its even best played on an ipad imo)

Convoy

OG Rolercoaster tycoon(Not because newer ones are worse but the original is the only one ive played so I don't know anything about the others)

Darkest dungeon

VVVVVV (Only uses the arrow keys if im not mistaken, might need to factcheck that one :p )

Any old school point&click adventure game like, Day of the tentacle, Broken sword, Thimbleweed park, the Deponia games, theres a LOT of em both new&old.

cid798

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cid798

All that comes to mind, because of a lot of great suggestions already in the thread, is RTS games if you can deal with edge scrolling.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If you're after something twitchier, try Divekick!

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Turn based/slow moving puzzle games games are your best friend my duder. If you got a 3ds then go for Fire emblem, pokemon professor layton, phoenix wright, zero escape series, etc.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

My favourites:

Adventure Games: Monkey Island Remasters, Day of the Tentacle Remaster etc.

"New" Adventure Games: Oxenfree (this was awesome!)

Strategy: XCOM, XCOM 2, Civ V or Civ VI, Total War (I use keyboard during Real Time Battles but all do-able with mouse + spacebar)

RPG: Pillars of Eternity, Divinity: Original Sin, Tyranny

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd caution against Pillars of Eternity actually. It's real-time with pause, not turn-based. And in real-time the game is pretty hard to play with just a mouse; those key board shortcuts are extremely helpful. You can customize the pauses to the point where it is essentially turn-based, and therefore is playable with just a mouse. However, because so little happens in a turn compared to a true turn-based game, it is an extremely slow, frustrating experience IMO.

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

warzone109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By warzone109

not sure if this still valid, but you could play the original fallout games... 1&2 made by interplay, if you like post apocolypse stuff.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.