Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Good adventure games.

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By evanbrau

Hey, I've wanted to get involved in adventure gaming for a while after playing through the first two Broken Sword games. Was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for adventure games from pretty much an era since I'm starting a new job with a longer commute in the near future. I'd prefer if the puzzles were pretty logical and real world. Keep in mind I have literally almost zero experience with this genre apart from the first two BS games and watching my brother play Full Throttle years ago so recommend away!

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Geno

Well for point and click adventure there's the Telltale games, which includes Sam and Max, Monkey Island, Strongbad and Wallace and Gromit. The Longest Journey and Dreamfall are also on Steam, but those are extremely old. Can your games have any form of combat involved? 

Jais

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Jais

Machinarium is probably the best adventure game I've ever played. I strongly recommend it.

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By evanbrau
    @Geno:  I was more talking about point and click so I should probably have specified that but I'd be open to something with combat in it.
    CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By CaptainObvious

Get Sam & Max Season 1 and 2.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jimbo

Full Throtle
    Grim Fandango
    The Longest Journey
    Dreamfall - The Longest Journey
    Syberia
    Little Big Adventure
    Police Quest  series
    Quest for Glory series

I haven't played much of the TLJ games, but they have excellent reputations.  First hand experience of the rest - Full Throttle and Grim Fandango are by far the best games in the genre imo.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By EVO
    @Jais said:
    " Machinarium is probably the best adventure game I've ever played. I strongly recommend it. "
    Same here, although it's the only point and click adventure I've ever finished. But don't let that fool you; it's amazing and one of the most beautiful games ever made.
    Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Cerza

I'd suggest sticking with the Telltale games right now since you are new to genre. Sam & Max Seasons 1 & 2 are both really great. The Monkey Island games are a lot of fun too. I'd also recommend CSI: Hard Evidence and CSI: Deadly Intent. They are very much rooted in real world logic puzzles and they were made by Telltale. Also, if you have a DS I recommend getting Trace Memory. It's a fun game that is well suited for those not overly familiar with the adventure genre and is also rooted in real world logic puzzles.

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Goly

I'm gonnna say Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers. Contains some tough puzzles and you can die like in most Sierra games but the story is well worth it. To say that I'm a Lucasarts fanboy and this is one of the few Sierra adventure games that I liked.

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Castro

Definitely Tales of Monkey Island and the new Sam & Max stuff. If you're willing to go back a ways, you should definitely play the Space Quest and Leisure Suit Larry games. To this day, I still proudly state that Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist is my favorite PC game of all time. It was co-created by Al Lowe, who created Leisure Suit Larry. If you don't want to go that far back, you should check out Blade Runner if you can find it. I remember enjoying that a great deal. If you can find Calahan's Crosstime Saloon, DEFINITELY check that one out.

I'm kinda biased towards Freddy Pharkas because that game made me laugh so hard that I was bawling for pretty much the entire duration of my playthrough, but the best adventure game ever is probably Day of the Tentacle. It's just goddamn genius. Actually, pretty much anything that Lucasarts did back in the day is amazing.

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Goly

Does anyone know if broken sword is gonna get a re-issue like shadows of the templars?

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ToxicFruit

beneath the steel sky is a great game !

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Absurd
    @Geno said:
    " Well for point and click adventure there's the Telltale games, which includes Sam and Max, Monkey Island, Strongbad and Wallace and Gromit. The Longest Journey and Dreamfall are also on Steam, but those are extremely old. Can your games have any form of combat involved?  "
    Yes, these games are great and add Grim Fandango to that if you can. If you really want more realistic games then you could try the Siberia games.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Marz

King's Quest series

Crocio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Crocio
    lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By lord_canti
    @Jimbo said:
    " Full ThrotleGrim FandangoThe Longest Journey Dreamfall - The Longest JourneySyberia Little Big AdventurePolice Quest  seriesQuest for Glory series I haven't played much of the TLJ games, but they have excellent reputations.  First hand experience of the rest - Full Throttle and Grim Fandango are by far the best games in the genre imo. "
    i second this post
    Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#17  Edited By Cirdain
    Saira sorta puzzle/platform/adventure hybird
    Vitamin_Dei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Vitamin_Dei

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is not only an incredible game but has the dubious honor of being the best Indiana Jones game ever made. It's definitely worth checking out with the rest of the LucasArts stuff in the LucasArts Adventure Pack on Steam. Loom is a great but short experience, too. I can't yet speak for the other two games in that pack, but hey... $9.99 for five classic adventure games is pretty good.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ryax

torchlight 
    samorost

nelander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By nelander
    @Jimbo said:
    " Full ThrotleGrim FandangoThe Longest Journey Dreamfall - The Longest JourneySyberia Little Big AdventurePolice Quest  seriesQuest for Glory series I haven't played much of the TLJ games, but they have excellent reputations.  First hand experience of the rest - Full Throttle and Grim Fandango are by far the best games in the genre imo. "
    If you are going to go old school might as well add the Gabriel Knight and Space quest series
    Ravenhoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Ravenhoe

My favourite Adventure games

Adventure games are the b-movie of the gaming world. In an adventure game, I look for a good mix of story, traditional gaming feel and atmosphere. This is a list of adventure games I enjoy and I would like to recommend to my fellow gamers. 

1. The Curse of Monkey Island

My favourite of the Monkey Island series, the game designers resisted the doomed jump to 3D and decided to go with a quirky, yet beautiful 2D art style. While not as nostalgic as the first two parts of the series, the game is filled with the series' trademark humour and quirkyness. An amazing story that takes you all over the archipelago, meeting bizarre characters and going to the oddest length to solve all sorts of crazy puzzles. Like the other games in the series, Monkey Island feels like a playful children's ghost story, wonderfully entertaining and entrancing.

2. Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle

An incredible game by adventure masters Lucasarts. Quirky puzzles and an amazing (web of) stories make this game incredibly entertaining. This may very well be one of the few adventure games who pull of time travelling without becoming too confusing or ignoring the causal implications of timetravel which would make it interesting in a puzzle-adventure game in the first place. The puzzles are rewarding and not too difficult. If anything, the difficulty is thinking around the corner (or around the time bend), which is fine and a very unique approach to adventure gaming.

3. Alone in the Dark 2

More of the same, which is not always a bad thing. AOTD2 revisits the haunted mansion of the first game adding a few more touches of nice graphics and animation. The story is a bit more like a surreal ghost story, which is primarily owned to the aspect of a kindapped child and an evil clown featured in the game. Especially the ending of the game is quite bizarre but fits well into the canon the game is based upon (HP Lovecraft).

4. The Secret of Monkey Island

One of the greatest adventure game of all time. No game has inspired more adventure games in tone and theme. The Secret of Monkey Island kickstarted a fantastic series, featuring an amazing game world, characters, story and the typical Lucasarts puzzles which might be too quiry for gritty players but very rewarding if you're into it.

5. Blade Runner

Like the movie, the PC conversion of the Blade Runner film owns lots to its appeal to the art direction and the sound department. Unlike many other licensed games, the game designers painfully recreated the feel of the game and it is a joy to roam the dystopian cities of the android-ridden streets of the future. On top of the fantastic presentation lies neo-noir flatfoot game which nicely balances searching locations, talking to characters and investigating clues. Some of the game's locations and situations still give me the goosebumps and I highly recommend this game to fans of adventure games.

6. The Dig

One of Lucasarts best adventures, an amazing story and a very fascinating game world. A futuristic sci-fi game at its core, the story and aspects of science fiction are highly original and should interest both sci-fi enthusiasts as well as genre newbies. Unlike many other Lucasarts games, The Dig lacks the usual humour and quirkyness and is a very dense and intense adventure experience from beginning to start.

7. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge

The second part in the infamous Monkey Island Series is as good and brilliant as the rest of the series. It is slightly more eerie and more difficult than the first part. One should have played the first game in order to enjoy the reference and narrative continuity of the 2nd part.

8. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

An incredible game which features a few RPG elements and action sequences. Yet, the game world and story is so fascinating, diverse and thrilling, the game plays like an adventure game at its core, and players will be more concerned with the background stories and developings in the game world than stats and other secondary aspects of the game.

9. Maniac Mansion

A classic adventure which made the "haunted house" motif famous. A place infested with luncatics and a gang of teenagers going in ! The game had some odd mechanics, you have to choose three our of multiple game characters and only the right combination makes it possible to solve the game at all. The puzzles are not too difficult, just right. The game is eerie in a strange sort of way, it might be the graphic and odd sound effects, but the game still gives me goosebumps sometimes.

10. Alone in the Dark

Based on Lovecraft's fantastic literature. Alone in the Dark is an adventure game which, despite some fiddly arcade sequences is as creepy as the classics get. The pace of this game is very well executed. In between fighting (or running) from Zombies, the players reads diaries and letters telling of the unspeakable horrors which took place in the haunted mansion. Did I mention haunted mansion ? Amazing game.

11. 7 Days a Skeptic

A very creepy and claustrophobic horror adventure game which makes good use of the setting. Isolation and cabin fever add to the eerie tone of crawling terror. A nice story with a few referencs to other games of the series. The puzzles are a bit steeper than the series' other games. A nod to adventure games of the golden era.

12. Laura Bow: Colonel's Bequest

For fans of classic whodunnits, this game is the holy grail. Dont expect action sequences, supernatural entities or monsters. Instead the game unfolds like an Agatha Christie novel. Family and friends (and enemies) gather on the occasion of the Colonel's death whose mysterious demise urges Laura Bow to investigate. Gathering clues and interrogating the people roaming the estate might be tedious for some, very rewarding for others, depending on what type of game you are looking for. Furthermore, the game has multiple endings, and you can end up "solving" the game, although you accused an innocent. The game world is not static, at least its inhabitants are not and depending on where you go and who you talk to people will say and reveal different things. A fantastic and very deep gaming experience that will stay with you for a long time.

13. Sanitarium

Somehow, the horror genre lends itself nicely to the adventure game. Sanitarium is a very eerie story and offers an unique and rewarding game experience. Due to the mental condition of the player's character, one can expect strange locations and puzzles, which manage never to go over the top and feature many classic images and aspects of traditional lovecraftian horror and angst. A great game, which densens and intensifies as it goes along.

14. Sam & Max Hit the Road

It may sound rather weird, an adventure about a hare and dog police duo. Yet, once you start playing, Sam & Max unfold its charm in the classic style of the golden era adventures. The puzzles are quirky, but not too difficult. Like other lucasarts games, lots of love went into the design and artwork of the locations and the whole journey is very rewarding. Some of the puzzles are a bit weird and some players might not be able to solve the game without using a solution, but that should not stop adventure game enthusiasts to track this gem down.

15. 5 Days a Stranger

A great example of how the present can emulate the feeling of the golden era of adventures. A good and first and foremost eerie story in a dense setting. It could use a few more puzzles, but nevertheless a great adventure title. Dry humour and a likeable lead characters make this a game to remember. Part of a series.

16. Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened

One of the newer games on my list, the game merges two of literature's greatest merits. Sherlock Holmes and the Cthulhu mythos. The game oozes with eerie atmosphere and fantastic locations. The game has a few setbacks though. The voice acting is a bit bland, especially the legendary character of Sherlock Holmes falls behind his potential. Another thing is that some of the puzzles are very un-Sherlockian and remind me of "The Incredible Machine", not true to the canon. Nevertheless, are very rewarding game which sucks you down into the terror of HP Lovecraft.

17. Alien Incident

A B-Game of the B-Genre. The quirkyness reminds of classic Lucasarts titles. The game was made in the 90ies and has the overall feel of the 90ies UFO craze about it. The mixture of playful eerieness and whacky geek humour is very well executed. The game features a very annoying puzzle sequence, but other than that the puzzles are original and rewarding.

18. The Trials of Odysseus Kent

A great freeware game, clearly inspired by the Monkey Island series. The mix of scary story and offbeat humour is highly entertaining. The puzzles are a nod the Lucasarts adventures and some require you to think around the quite a bit. The game is rather the short, due to nature of its production circumstancs but should be played and loved for what it tries to be.

19. The Legend of Kyrandia

Not a lot of people remeber Legend of Kyrandia, despite it being a charming and lovely little game. Overshadowed by King's Quest, Legend of Kyrandia is a beautiful fairy tale. The puzzles might be too easy for some, but the traditional air of old school fantasy, a nice soundtrack and the fact that the game is part of a rewarding series make this a recommendation.

20. Loom

Loom is a rare game and I give Kudos to the designers for daring to make a game which was different from what people expected from adventure games. Like all other Lucasarts games, Loom has a great story, beautiful artwork, a quirky humour and so forth. What is unusual is the interface. The player charactes plays "magical" notes which translate various forms of interactions with the gameworld. Recently, the has been a resurgence of experimental adventure games playing with alternative forms of interface, controls and perspective, but back in the day, Loom was awe-inspiring and it still is.

21. 6 Days a Sacrifice

Not as orginal as the first part of the series (5 Days a stranger) but a solid revisit to the original setting. Solid adventure game in the vain of classic adventure games of the golden era

22. Nocturne

More or less a 3rd person action adventure (like Alone in the Dark without the action), Nocturne still qualifies due to the emphasis on horror and the dark theme it features. It is very rewarding and engaging to explore the haunted locations in the game and a very enjoyable journey.

23. The Black Cauldron

By Now, Disney games are never worth playing and pretty much cash-makers for the franchises. Back in the day, Disney made the effort to think who to commission with programming their games. This one was made by Al Lowe (of Larry fame). A nice and cute fairy tale game.

24. Beneath a Steel Sky

SciFi used to be a very respected form of literature, gaming and movies. I dont know what happened in the 90ies but ever since the genre become an orphan child, looked after by geeks and nerds. Beneath a steel sky is a classic example of High-Sci-Fi. A dystopian future, corporate cities and droids with loose gobs. The story takes a while to unfold and the game never leaves the general area of neo-noir, which might be a bit too low-key for some, but I enjoy the b-movie atmosphere and time it takes to digest the game.

25. Eagle Eye Mysteries in London

Eagle Eye Mysteries is a children's game, but it is charming enough to entertain grown-ups as well, if not only to be reminded of classic children's book series. The fact that the game is set in London makes is very interesting and the city's rich history make the "cases" (the game has several episodic "cases" or "chapters") very interesting.

26. Death Gate

The Interface might resemble classic RPG games, but dont be fooled, this is a classic inventory based adventure game. The story is very deep and complex, albeit a bit bizarre and might be a bit too looney for some, a strange mix of steampunk and traditional fantasy. Despite the static feel of the game (no in game avatar), the artwork makes the gameworld feel alive. The puzzles are tricky but rewarding and the pace of the game is never slowed down to a painful degree.

27. Bureau 13

A nice B-Game depicting the doings of paranormal research unit. The game starts out very good, althoiugh it becomes a bit weird as it goes along. Nevertheless, the overall eerie feel and underlying notion that something "paranormal" is going on make the ride quiet enjoyable. Not the best adventure game out there, but it does not deserve its status of oblivion.

28. Castle of Terror

Before you go out and play the game until you drop dead. The true terror of the game (pun intended) is the fact that you cannot beat it ! Apart from that, it is a nice game of hunting down the evil count in his castle. The game has a very good soundtrack which adds greatly to the atmosphere and the game owns lots of its appeal to the brooding music.

29. Hugo's House of Horrors

A very simple adventure game which might only be interesting to genre enthusiasts. The simple premise of the "haunted house" and the quirky execution makes this an enjoyable and refreshingly unconventional experience.

30. Lords of Doom

A hidden treasure of adventure gaming. Lords of Doom is delightfully eerie. It might not be the best adventure game out there, but I include this as a recommendation to save it from oblivion.

31. Runaway: A Road Adventure

One of the first new wave of adventures. The story takes a while to get used to and is not very original, but the overall experience resembles classic adventure game, so does the artwork and character design. The game is rather short, and seasoned players will finish it in a few hours. Nevertheless, worth tracking down.

32. Cirque de Zale

A freeware adventure in the spirit of quirky Lucasarts/Sierra adventures. Not very long and the artwork is not as good as the commercial games, but the game is enjoyable nevertheless.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#22  Edited By Legend

Definitely check out the Runaway series. I recommend playing all three games in order. There was a certain part in the third game that totally blew my mind, and kept me thinking about it several days after I beat the game.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#23  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

My favorites: 

Full Throttle - Some of the best comedic writing in gaming, period, and to this day, it's one of my all-time favorites. 

Grim Fandango - Fantastic writing, unique setting, and memorable characters.  It doesn't handle quite so well as Full Throttle, but definitely enjoyable. 

Gabriel Knight series - Available on GOG.com (and maybe other digital distributors - anyone?), this is a great atmospheric series with good writing and some incredible moments.  Plus, Tim Curry does voicework in later games, which is always a bonus. 

Space Quest/Leisure Suit Larry/King's Quest/Police Quest - You can find collections of these games for under $20 on Amazon and Steam (and other places), which is a downright steal.  However - some of these games are 20+ years old, and the text input is admittedly dated at its best.  However, the later point-and-click games are still excellent and well worth a look.  Just stay the hell away from the last two LSL games.  Total crap. 

Quest for Glory series - If you can find these gems, they are my absolute favorite adventure games of all time, and implement a well-done combat system along with some light RPG elements. 

Sam and Max - Hit up the recent Telltale games, and you can't go wrong.  Definitely pick up the older one too if you can find it. 

Monkey Island series - You cannot go wrong with any of these.  The recent Telltale versions have some wonky controls, but once you get into the swing of 'em, they're as brilliantly written as the original games (yeah, you fellow old-schoolers - I just said that). 

Freddy Pharkas - Brilliant writing.  It's an amazingly unheard of game, but if you can find it, nab it.  It's a riot. 

Dreamfall and Longest Journey - Sadly, I've yet to finish either of these, but what I've played, I've really enjoyed.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24  Edited By jonnyboy
    Day of the Tentacle. Be warned though, it's hella 90's yo. Better dust off that flannel shirt and watch 'Bill and Ted's' before embarking.

Seriously though, it's fantastic, works on ScummVm, and is arguably the best Scumm engine game Lucasarts ever made.
    warpedzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By warpedzappa

Visit Good Old Games.. they have a large catalogue.  Unfortunately you won't be able to find all the Lucas Arts adventure games (best imo).  You should check out The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.  Both of which you can get on Steam.  If you can get your hands on Maniac Mansion or Day of the Tentacle than your in for some fun. 

Have fun!  It's good to see people talking about adventure games.  The genre is deteriorating with exception to Telltale's recent attempts. 

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Get the telltale pack on steam, its a great deal.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By monetarydread

I like Grim Fandango, 7th Guest,  Circle of Blood, Gabriel Knight, D, D2, and Penumbra.  
    @Ravenhoe: Man, u know your adventure games. I still remember Nocturne and the fact that I was happy to have 128mb of ram at the time of release. Its weird to think that it was the graphical powerhouse at the time.

BillyMethers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BillyMethers

Beyond Good & Evil

thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By thecleric

A less known op, but if you an find it.. 

Toon Struck is amazing.

Avatar image for aperturesilence
    ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By ApertureSilence
    JohnnyAutoFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By JohnnyAutoFire

The Boat is afraid of drowning...
     The Boat is afraid of drowning...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.