Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

New to PC Gaming, Would love some suggestions.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DoctorTran

Okay guys, so I'll be getting my parts for my new PC build tomorrow night *hopefully*. Now I just need some game suggestions!

I'm already thinking about buying Star Wars The Old Republic. I will be buying The Witcher: Enhanced Edtion, Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, and eventually Mass Effect 3.... as well as probably Psychonauts. I'll also be getting Diablo III when it comes out... so I'll probably be picking up the Diablo II battle chest.

So... Gimme some suggestions.

Also... this is what I got.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundl....-864947-_-Combo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102959

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By mosdl

First of all, welcome to the PC gaming master race. Our Yacht Club meets Tuesdays at 11am for wine and cheese samplings.

As for what to suggest - install Steam/Origin. Steam because of sales and abundance of games, Origin as it has exclusives (SWTOR and ME3 for example) and also has sales.

Seems you like RPGs, so Dragon Age: Origins is highly recommended.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Marz

*edit* oh looks like you already bought it, nvm
    Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Nekroskop

Don't install origin and buy The Witcher 2.

mortal_sb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By mortal_sb

even if you don't want to buy games, install steam. there are a lot of ok - very good free-to-play games. just try playing Team fortress 2. you're going to have a BLAST.

Jackcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jackcc

I've been enjoying Civ 5 a LOT, never played a Civ before and jumped in feet first. ONE MORE TURN! Also Team Fortress 2 is so good for £40 let alone free!

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ravenlight

@mosdl said:

First of all, welcome to the PC gaming master race. Our Yacht Club meets Tuesdays at 11am for wine and cheese samplings.

This week's Camembert was delectable. I'm looking forward to the Extraorbital Golf Club meet on Saturday.

@DoctorTran:

Bastion, Bastion, Bastion (assuming you haven't already played it).

Pretty much every Bethesda game is better in PC because of the vibrant mod community and Deus Ex: Human Revolution played about 100% smoother on PC in my experience.

A great way to get good games on the cheap is to install Steam and just look at the front page of the Steam Store every day. There's always a deal to be had.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DoctorTran
    @ahaisthisourchance

I'm actually probably getting that on the 360. Though if not I'll be getting it on steam.
    jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#9  Edited By jaqen_hghar

Steam and GoG.com. All you ever need, baby!

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Toxeia

I love the Star Wolves series... but I'm weird. Also Amazon's got a deal going right now with a ton of games on sale, so check that out.

Also, Magicka's pretty sweet. I believe Super Monday Night Combat's out soon, so keep an eye out on that.

Other than that, I myself am heavy into WoW so I'm dry on ideas.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#11  Edited By pyromagnestir

Install steam, wait until Christmas, buy everything.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Super Monday Night Combat, man. Not exactly a blockbuster title, but my favourite competitive online game of 2012 so far.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @mosdl said:

Seems you like RPGs, so Dragon Age: Origins is highly recommended.

Check this out: http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Arts-40899on-Age-Pack7/dp/B006P28VBM/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1334175730&sr=8-9

It's Dragon Age Origins Ultimate (comes with all the DLC) plus Dragon Age 2 and the first DLC for 10 bucks. You can then either download them through amazon, or just input your product key into origin. Even though DA2 isn't amazing, that plus DA: O and all it's DLC plus Awakening for ten bucks is a damn good deal.
    DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DeF

@DoctorTran said:

@ahaisthisourchance

I'm actually probably getting that on the 360. Though if not I'll be getting it on steam.

there is no reason for you to buy an inferior version when you JUST bought a brand new PC that will run the game perfectly fine and make it look better while having the exact same content!

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DoctorTran
    @DeF

@DoctorTran said:

@ahaisthisourchance

there is no reason for you to buy an inferior version when you JUST bought a brand new PC that will run the game perfectly fine and make it look better while having the exact same content!

Yeah, that's kind of what I've been thinking. I just keep hearing conflicting information about what the 360's content is as opposed to the PCs. I keep hearing that there's addition content on 360 but, I doubt it's truly worthwhile.
    Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Nekroskop

The PC version already has that content for free anyway. You can also use a 360 controller in the game too.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17  Edited By crusader8463

Not certain what genres you care for, so I will just list off my favourite PC only/best on PC games. Will try to get a mix of old and new:

Those are a few that hold a special place in my heart. Tried to keep some of it a little more obscure to keep from just repeating all the bigger main stream games I'm sure people will repeat again and again. Also, for games in the future keep an eye out for XCom Enemy Unknown and Planet Side 2. Planet Side is a huge MMO FPS that looks like it will be amazing if they can pull off all the things they have been talking about, and XCom, well god dam that game just looks like it's going to consume me.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DeF

@DoctorTran said:

@DeF

@DoctorTran said:

@ahaisthisourchance

Yeah, that's kind of what I've been thinking. I just keep hearing conflicting information about what the 360's content is as opposed to the PCs. I keep hearing that there's addition content on 360 but, I doubt it's truly worthwhile.

the 360 port is the enhanced edition. the PC version will get that same content via patch if you buy it before the EE launches (and the enhanced edition comes out on PC, too). there is zero difference in content, only in visual quality :)

since your machine can run it, you can only win with the PC version. (I believe you're also getting a free backup copy without DRM [as usual] of the game on gog.com with your purchase of the retail version)

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#19  Edited By Kidavenger

@DoctorTran said:

I'll also be getting Diablo III when it comes out... so I'll probably be picking up the Diablo II battle chest.

If you get the collector's edition, it includes the Diablo 2 battlechest on a USB stick

As far as recommendations: Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos, StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, Portal 2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Defense Grid: The Awakening and seriously install Steam, the next big regular sale happens in the summer, watch for it, that one sale will set you up with enough games to last... well more time than you have to play.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Shivoa

Not sure why you're paying $180 for a 6850 when it costs $150 for a 6870 (also with free Dirt 3 copy).

The 6870 has a few more cores (the 6850 has a block of the GPU switched off so only has 960 shader units, not the 1120 of the 6870), runs at 900Mhz rather than 775Mhz, and has memory clocked at 4.2GHz rather than 4GHz. The 6850 you selected has 2GB of RAM but that isn't going to matter with the processing power you're looking at (turning things to Ultra detail aren't an option for either card, and at this value segment you want as much processing power as you can get).

Grab Steam, check some of the Free2Play stuff, wait for the sales, and generally buy anything that catches your attention as long as the reviews say it's a good port or original PC title (places like RPS, which focus solely on the PC, can usually tell you if the PC version is butchered by publisher indifference; it is worth grabbing a wired 360 pad for games where the joypad controls are ideal and they never managed to figure out a good mouse/kb alternative).

Edit: Oh, and GOG.com have your back if you're looking for some older titles to see what PC gaming of old was about (if you've been console gaming up to this point). Also indies often use the older genre forms from PC's past as jumping off points for their games so having a working knowledge of the older stuff can help guide your hand to grabbing indie titles that fit your tastes. There are a load of bundles (Humble, Indie Gala, etc) that give cheap access to indie hits if you keep your ear to the ground.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By monetarydread

@DoctorTran said:

@ahaisthisourchance

Buy it on PC. There is no reason to buy the game on 360 if you have a pc.

iBePeRFeCT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By iBePeRFeCT

I would definitely get Steam as other have suggested and keep an eye out for there crazy sales. I'm not sure what kind of game you like, but it looks like you enjoy BioWare games so I would grab that Dragon Age pack at Amazon for only $10. That is an incredible deal in my opinion. Also, The Witcher 2 is another game that I would highly recommend.

If you like shooters then Team Fortress 2 is Free to Play now and is awesome and Blacklight Retribution is another game that has recently come out and I'm enjoying it. It is still a little buggy, but they are patching it almost every other day.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Deusx

Just get steam and buy all of the games people have said here. Also apply for some betas.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

Legend of Grimrock just was released today ... I'm only 3 levels in, but if you want a bit of oldschool RPG action you should get it (it's pretty cheap too).

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DoctorTran
    @Shivoa

Not sure why you're paying $180 for a 6850 when it costs $150 for a 6870 (also with free Dirt 3 copy).

The 6870 has a few more cores (the 6850 has a block of the GPU switched off so only has 960 shader units, not the 1120 of the 6870), runs at 900Mhz rather than 775Mhz, and has memory clocked at 4.2GHz rather than 4GHz. The 6850 you selected has 2GB of RAM but that isn't going to matter with the processing power you're looking at (turning things to Ultra detail aren't an option for either card, and at this value segment you want as much processing power as you can get).

Grab Steam, check some of the Free2Play stuff, wait for the sales, and generally buy anything that catches your attention as long as the reviews say it's a good port or original PC title (places like RPS, which focus solely on the PC, can usually tell you if the PC version is butchered by publisher indifference; it is worth grabbing a wired 360 pad for games where the joypad controls are ideal and they never managed to figure out a good mouse/kb alternative).

Edit: Oh, and GOG.com have your back if you're looking for some older titles to see what PC gaming of old was about (if you've been console gaming up to this point). Also indies often use the older genre forms from PC's past as jumping off points for their games so having a working knowledge of the older stuff can help guide your hand to grabbing indie titles that fit your tastes. There are a load of bundles (Humble, Indie Gala, etc) that give cheap access to indie hits if you keep your ear to the ground.

Well to be honest the whole thing is a gift from my dad for all te help I've been giving them with some family stuff. So my brother who knows more about hardware than I do Did the research and told dad what to order. Then I'll put it all together. I guess he was gonna swap video cards with
    DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DoctorTran

Me because his card would basically be the third part to form the Scorpius or whatever. But we're not doing that (yet) since he lives a couple of hours away.

nixatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By nixatron

Defs get Trackmania 2 Canyon and play on the giantbomb classic server, fun game, plenty of dubstep to enjoy ironically, or literally, and you might catch Jeff on there every once in a while

Talis12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Talis12

smaller games:

bastion, orcs must die, stacking, limbo, gotham city imposters, trine 2, rochard

bigger games:

skyrim, rage, bf3, arkham city, portal 2

free to play:

DC universe, APB reloaded, team fortress 2, age of empires online, alliance of valiant arms

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DoctorTran

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys! I just bought the DA:O/DA2 pack. I've already played DA2 on the 360 but I really dug it so, why not? And for both of them for 10 bucks, whats to lose?

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DoctorTran

Okay, So I moved my Witcher 2 pre-order over to the PC version, And almost have Diablo III paid off. Downloading the patch for Star Trek Online as we speak. Also downloading DA2.... eventually DA:O/U. On this pay check I'll pick up my Witcher 2 pre-order and also pick up The Witcher, Star Wars The Old Republic, and probably a gamepad... and maybe some other games on steam. Also I've redeemed my Dirt 3 voucher... Just... still haven't downloaded it yet.

Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
    whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Shogun 2. I wouldn't waste any time with Mass Effect on the pc, it's a so-so port and plays like a console game (because it obviously is)/

Tribes Ascend is a fantastic game and doesn't cost a penny if you just want to check it out.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mordukai

@Shivoa said:

Ummm...This.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Bell_End

@Jaqen_HGhar said:

unless he wants to play Diablo 3 of course/

Avatar image for bigchickendinner
    BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BigChickenDinner

I don't know who these people think they are telling you to buy all these new games, you'd best load up UT99!!

But seriously, think about getting a few classic PC games for real cheap.

whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Bell_End said:

@Jaqen_HGhar said:

unless he wants to play Diablo 3 of course/

Torchlight II. 1/3 the price, basically the same game with modding, lan e.t.c....

Ghostin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Ghostin

how far back are you willing to go?

norenewalfee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By norenewalfee

My suggestions would be:

• Crysis 1 & 2
    • Skyrim (if you haven´t played it)
    • Starcraft 2
    • Old Adventure games (can´t go worn with LucasArts)
    fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#39  Edited By fox01313

Few other good ones on steam: Star Trek Online (free), Torchlight, Amnesia Dark Descent, Portal2, The Orange Box, Civilization 5, Trackmania Forever, Moonbase Alpha (free). If steam keeps up with the trend lately of having a summer & winter event then just be sure to check it every few days as when it happens, just about everything goes on sale (anywhere from 25-75% off on either individual games or just about everything a publisher/studio does) so well worth the time.

arjybarjy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By arjybarjy

Trackmania 2 - Canyon - GB's server is great, but explore and you will find some truly stupid European servers playing bad music on insane courses.

Also sign up for Humble Indie Bundle and Indie Royale for cheap (depending on your generosity) smaller games all usually come with steam codes.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mordukai

@DoctorTran said:

Also downloading DA2.... eventually DA:O/U.

NOOOOOOOOOOO! Do not do that. Play DAO. DA2 is a complete stinker. If you're gonna play anyways get it on consoles because that where the game was designed to be played. For the love of everything good in this world Play DAO first.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Zelyre

Orcs must die was tons of fun. People have been speaking highly of the new Tribes. I have been enjoying Legend of Grimrock a ton. Freespace 2 is cheap on GoG.com. Modded, it looks fantastic to this day. I don't think you'll find a game experience like it nowadays. I sank a ton of time into New Vegas, Fallout, Oblivion, and Skyrim. New Vegas has some really awesome mods.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#43  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Quoting myself from a similar thread 

• Deus Ex is by far the greatest gem to ever grace the platform. Download the texture pack and have one of the best most innovative stealth FPS cyberpunk experiences out there. 
    • RTS on SP campaign quality of CoH... I think World in Conflict is the most acclaimed choice. 
    • The Witcher is miles ahead of the 7-8 other RPGs that I've played. Such a bleak, bleak universe that's almost as scary to explore as Stalker's. The character is way too badass for you to handle and the story is very unique. Swordplay is a little stale but the various attack stances and the awesome magic spells that you can upgrade make up for it.
    • Crysis. If anyone tells you it's a tech demo, they didn't play for more than 30 minutes. That gameplay blew my mind in 2007 and has been doing so on an annual basis.   
    • S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernobyl . Hands down thee best atmosphere in a game, big dysfunctional world around you with mutants and beasts and bandits and military, and the shooting is extremely unique. Download the Complete 2009 Mod.
    • Half-Life 2 is the obvious choice for a more linear and story driven FPS.
    • Max Payne 1 and 2, extremely old, yet the gameplay, aesthetics and story telling haven't aged a single day. Some of the best Third Person Shooters you can find on the platform, and by far the best noire atmospheres in a game.
    • Dreamfall: The Longest Journey is a pretty good adventure game.
    • Mount & Blade is a... I'm not even sure how to describe it. But it's very good at what it does.  Help, someone!
    • Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad if you're interested in a realistic slow-paced WW2 multiplayer shooter with up to 64 players.
    • Neverwinter Nights 2 is, I think, the go-to party-based RPG on the PC. 
    DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DoctorTran

@mordukai said:

@DoctorTran said:

Also downloading DA2.... eventually DA:O/U.

NOOOOOOOOOOO! Do not do that. Play DAO. DA2 is a complete stinker. If you're gonna play anyways get it on consoles because that where the game was designed to be played. For the love of everything good in this world Play DAO first.

Oh nononono trust me. I'm playing DA:O first. I bought the ten dollar bundle on Amazon. For some reason I just downloaded DA2 first. And yeah, I've already played DA2 on the 360 and got about 10 or more hours into DA:O on the 360.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#45  Edited By Phatmac

Team Fortress 2 is a good start since it's free and quite awesome. You may want to get L4D2 since it has a ton of great mods and is great on the PC. Just check Steam for sales and free games.

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#46  Edited By BiG_Weasel
    whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ghostin said:

how far back are you willing to go?

GOG has alot of great titles. Alot of them ages (and imo) still better than games today. Planescape Torment for example. Pro story telling, none of that Masses Effects nonsense.

Tamaster92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#48  Edited By Tamaster92

for more free suggestions - try out super monday night combat, blacklight retribution, tribes:ascend and world of tanks. all good/great games.

mneuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By mneuro

Deus Ex: Human Revolution was 100 times better on PC in my experience. I can't recommend it enough. Also the Bethesda games are great, I would recommend at least getting Morrowind and Skyrim. For a few free to play games I recommend Blacklight Retribution and Tribes: Ascend (First is cyberpunk, second is futuristic sci-fi). Both are amazing online First Person Shooter (in my opinion). Also World of Tanks, and Path of Exile (in beta but basically the best Diablo style game I've ever played). PoE is Diablo 2 gameplay but more difficult with the materia system from Final Fantasy 7 and the Sphere grid thing from Final Fantasy 10. That's pretty much all I've been playing lately on PC minus a few random games like Just Cause 2 and Legend of Grimrock.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.