Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

PS4 Sale: Do I buy Dying Light or Just Cause 3?

Avatar image for poprocksandsoda
    poprocksandsoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

The PS4 sale is going on and I can only afford one game. Do I get Dying Light (with Following expansion) or the Just Cause 3 XL version? I thought Dead Island wasn't great but Brad loved Dying Light. Just Cause 2 was real good but is JC3 just more of the same? Thanks in advance for the opinions!

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Just cause 3 was pretty boring and ran like crap when I played it last. Dying Light seems way cooler, though I haven't played it.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince

Not really a fan of either, but of those two, Dying Light looks significantly better.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@poprocksandsoda: If you disliked the gameplay of Dead Island and enjoyed the gamepaly of Just Cause 2 then maybe you will enjoy more of the same gameplay in Just Cause 3 instead of gameplay somewhat similar to Dead Island in Dying Light.

That said I think Dying Light will get you more bang for your buck.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I haven't played Dying Light, but as someone who liked JC2, JC3 was kind of a let down. The game runs unacceptably slow when explosions happen, in a game where a lot of explosions happen, and is basically more of the same.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By shivermetimbers

Neither game is perfect, but Dying Light 100%. Just Cause 3 is just too boring. At least there's a sense of progression and fun to be had in Dying Light.

I only ever rented both, so I dunno if Dying Light gets really bad by the end or Just Cause gets better.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I have't played JC3, but everything I've seen looks just like JC2. Which is to say, not quite as insane and unhinged as the tools they've built would like you to be.

Dying Light, however, is absolutely excellent. The parkour and combat mesh perfectly and and difficulty curve forces you to get used to the movement before it gets integrated into combat. The story is forgettable but not without its high points, and there are some excellent side quests and the writing is pretty sharp.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

dying light is the better game for sure

just cause 3 is... disappointing

soiledsanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I don't know about PS4 but on xbox Just Cause 3 had some bad slow down wasn't always noticeable but when id switch between playing it and other games and come back I would really notice it.

I beat Dying Light (still playing The Following ) and loved it a lot. I'd frankly go Dying Light unless blowing shit up and having "stupid" fun is more your style then go Just Cause

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NTM

I didn't play Just Cause, and didn't have any desire to honestly, but I really enjoyed Dying Light, and they relatively recently updated it, so controls can be set a bit differently, visuals were tweaked (as well as the option to turn off grain effect), and the difficulty is slightly ramped up, though still not hard. Dying Light is better than Dead Island.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The PS4 sale is going on and I can only afford one game. Do I get Dying Light (with Following expansion) or the Just Cause 3 XL version? I thought Dead Island wasn't great but Brad loved Dying Light. Just Cause 2 was real good but is JC3 just more of the same? Thanks in advance for the opinions!

Just cause 3 is straight up broken right now on PS4. Stay FAR away.

Loading Video...

To think they put the game on sale after doing this is repulsive. The game should literally be pulled from the PS Store until they fix this shit.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I have JC3 on PC. It runs decently but I was bored by it.

So meh to JC3.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only truly great thing about Just Cause 3 is the wingsuit and associated challenges. Everything else is as only just as good as Just Cause 2 or a bit worse.

I've not played Dying Light so can't offer an opinion, but I'm not sure I'd forgo any game for Just Cause 3.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dying Light is really dull. I played maybe 7 or 8 hours coop with a friend but even coop couldn't save it for me. It felt like it was missing a layer of systems and reminded me a lot of Dead Island but without the cool analogue combat. I was really disappointed. If you enjoyed JC2 I'd say 3 is more of that. Gating things with challenges was a bad move but if you like goofing around and blowing stuff up it's a good time.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By MachoFantastico

Dying Light any day, had a blast playing that on PC and that's coming from someone whose sick of zombies.

I was disappointed by JC3.

mathj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dying light. amazing game.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

If you decide to go Just Cause 3, it's $30 @ best buy for a few days.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dying light seemed cool but be wary if you have even slight motion sickness issues as it made me want to throw up on ps4(demo). Fov change might solve it but not sure if it's an option.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

The PS4 version of JC3 runs like shit. It's one of the only games I've ever traded in because of performance issues. I feel like they shouldn't have even bothered with the console versions if that's the best they could do. On top of that, I didn't like the way the game was structured, having to do all sorts of BS to unlock basic abilities like precision aim with a gun.

Dying Light, on the other hand, is a fantastic experience with arguably the best first-person platforming/parkour to date. I think your choice is simple.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you decide to go Just Cause 3, it's $30 @ best buy for a few days.

It's also completely broken right now, and not even worth five dollars. See post number 11. DO NOT BUY JUST CAUSE 3 on PS4.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

@spaceinsomniac: more reason for the op to consider the physical copy for less than the digital one then. me personally, i couldn't care less about jc3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.