Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Network (PS3)

Platform »

The PlayStation Network is the online service by Sony Computer Entertainment, providing downloads of games, trailers, themes and much more. The service is free, but also offers a paid version for various benefits.

So lets say your Sony ... whats your next move?

p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By p_p_o_d

Ok we all know the news.  Shit has gone down, hit the fan and maybe walked away with all your user data. 

So lets say you are in charge at sony right now,  your in a situation that will probably damage your most valuable brand and the whole world is kind of pissed at you.

What to you do next to get everything back on track?

Here is what I think I would do (as of right now... this might change as we get more news)

1 - Find out the full extent of the leak.   We dont know how many of the 77mill PSN accounts where effected. We dont know if CC numbers where got.   you need to know and to let the people know.  everything thinks EVERY psn user has had there account info got at and we dont know for sure yet so fine out.  Might catch a break and find out only a fraction of users got there stuff downloaded.
    At this point people dont care when they can play COD again.  They care if there credit card details are in the hands of south american drug lords.  

2 - a freebee.  PSN will be back and you have to give people something... anything to make up for this cock up.   make PS+ free for a month once the ps store is back online.   its good because its something free and its REALLY good because some of the people might want to continue being a member of Plus.

2 -  Get the trust back.  With the PSN back online "soon" you need to get people wanting to trust your service again.   you know what will get people using the PSN store again?  crazy steam like sales.    toss up a few games for 75% off.   bundle stuff.   make offers so crazy that people wont want to miss them.

4 - Prepare for the worst.   Sales will probably be affected for the next few months.  you probably have a price cut already planned for later in the year so wait and see how that goes but The brand might be fucked for a while.   Might be time to look at rushing the next home console out the door for holiday 2012 or early 2013 with a re-named playstation network.    maybe even think about dropping the playstation brand.

5 - resign or be awesome.    With this kind of cock up you can do one of 2 things.   own up to your mistakes and resign or  have a awesome plan to get everything moving again and he hailed as the guy who lead sony through the crisis.     (I wouldn't be shocked if Kaz Hirai stands down over this.  I guess it depends if the hack was due to a clever exploit the hacker used or just plain bad security)

6 -  HIRE A NEW PR TEAM FOR FUCK SAKE!    
    Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Sayishere
    @p_p_o_d said:
    " Ok we all know the news.  Shit has gone down, hit the fan and maybe walked away with all your user data. 
    So lets say you are in charge at sony right now,  your in a situation that will probably damage your most valuable brand and the whole world is kind of pissed at you.

What to you do next to get everything back on track?

Here is what I think I would do (as of right now... this might change as we get more news)

1 - Find out the full extent of the leak.   We dont know how many of the 77mill PSN accounts where effected. We dont know if CC numbers where got.   you need to know and to let the people know.  everything thinks EVERY psn user has had there account info got at and we dont know for sure yet so fine out.  Might catch a break and find out only a fraction of users got there stuff downloaded.
    At this point people dont care when they can play COD again.  They care if there credit card details are in the hands of south american drug lords.  

2 - a freebee.  PSN will be back and you have to give people something... anything to make up for this cock up.   make PS+ free for a month once the ps store is back online.   its good because its something free and its REALLY good because some of the people might want to continue being a member of Plus.

2 -  Get the trust back.  With the PSN back online "soon" you need to get people wanting to trust your service again.   you know what will get people using the PSN store again?  crazy steam like sales.    toss up a few games for 75% off.   bundle stuff.   make offers so crazy that people wont want to miss them.

4 - Prepare for the worst.   Sales will probably be affected for the next few months.  you probably have a price cut already planned for later in the year so wait and see how that goes but The brand might be fucked for a while.   Might be time to look at rushing the next home console out the door for holiday 2012 or early 2013 with a re-named playstation network.    maybe even think about dropping the playstation brand.

5 - resign or be awesome.    With this kind of cock up you can do one of 2 things.   own up to your mistakes and resign or  have a awesome plan to get everything moving again and he hailed as the guy who lead sony through the crisis.     (I wouldn't be shocked if Kaz Hirai stands down over this.  I guess it depends if the hack was due to a clever exploit the hacker used or just plain bad security)

6 -  HIRE A NEW PR TEAM FOR FUCK SAKE!    
    "
    I like all your ideas, especially  number 2, the free PS plus for a month

this actually works because (to my knowledge?) when you cancel your PS plus account you lose all the free stuff you downloaded? am i correct here?  if thats the case then as you say it would persuade people to keep the service going, which gets them more subscriptions. 

p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By p_p_o_d
    @Sayishere:    

Yup thats how plus works and thats the beauty of that idea.

Turing a negative into a positive.    

Pink_o_mat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Pink_o_mat

"Get the trust back" will be damned hard. They waited 7 days to inform users their CC numbers might be lost. This is more than a slight mistake.
    p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By p_p_o_d
    @Pink_o_mat said:
    " "Get the trust back" will be damned hard. They waited 7 days to inform users their CC numbers might be lost. This is more than a slight mistake. "
    which is where idea 6 comes in.

Hacks happen and maybe there is nothing they could have done.  If hackers want to hack something they will.   but Sony handled keeping users up to date so poorly its crazy.
    ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By ssj4raditz

Excellent ideas.

Pink_o_mat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Pink_o_mat

@p_p_o_d:

Well, japanese companies aren't exactly known for offensive communication. Especially not in cases like this.

But you are right, this is not the first hack and it will not be the last.

Blommer4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Blommer4
    @Pink_o_mat:  There's no proof they knew it before they told us. According to Sony, they hired a pro that used some days to find out what had happened, and when he told Sony they told us.
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By wrighteous86

Fake your own death.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MeierTheRed
    @Blommer4 said:

" @Pink_o_mat:  There's no proof they knew it before they told us. According to Sony, they hired a pro that used some days to find out what had happened, and when he told Sony they told us. "

Indeed, Sony stated they hired a respectable and known crew from the outside to investigate. And Sony claimed they didn't know the magnitude of the breach before these experts told them.
    Thats not to say they couldn't have given their consumers more useful updates, instead of almost total silence.

I won't stick up for Sony, but i won't blame them for the incident either. The hacker who gained access and compromised our contact info and for all we know stole our credit card details is the real one to blame here. I'm getting sick and tired of this hacker bullshit thats going on, seems like gaming isn't about gaming anymore, but more about being complete dicks.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I think right from the moment they got hit they were on investigating what exactly happened and I think their priority should continue to be keeping the public 100% up to date on what's really happened. Apart from that I agree they need to do a lot of compensating to try and win people back.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By hockeymask27

free psn + for a month for everyone. Psn+ for 2 months free for current plus members.

Pink_o_mat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Pink_o_mat

@Blommer4:

You're right! I'm just pissed because my CC data might have been copied.

Pink_o_mat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pink_o_mat

Back to the topic of the threat, I think Sony should be completely open and keep the customers up to date from now on. It's the only chance to survive a PR disaster like this. Mercedes Benz had a technical f-up a couple of years back (the A-class rolled over during driving trials) and they were really open about it. It was forgotten 3 months later.
    phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By phish09

They are going to drop the price BIG TIME at E3.  There is no way they can compete, given this recent scandal, without seriously getting competitive on price.  I think you're going to see the base PS3 (160 GB model) going down to $229 and a bundle including Move for $299. 

I don't know how their PR department is going to spin this, but that will be their marketing strategy.

Pink_o_mat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pink_o_mat
    @phish09 said:
    "They are going to drop the price BIG TIME at E3.  There is no way they can compete, given this recent scandal, without seriously getting competitive on price.  I think you're going to see the base PS3 (160 GB model) going down to $229 and a bundle including Move for $299.  I don't know how their PR department is going to spin this, but that will be their marketing strategy. "

I don't see them doing this. A price drop attracts new customers, but it doesn't help the current customers who are affected by the problems. Also, handing out free 1st party PSN stuff / free PSN+ doesn't cost them any money.
    Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Vexxan
    @Wrighteous86 said:
    " Fake your own death. "
    Reasonable, no clue how the hell they're going to get the trust back. One too many slips already. Giving out free stuff might not be enough, when it comes to personal information people can get really crazy about it. One, two or even twelve months of free PSN+ can't fix that.
    Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

If i was sony, i would make a broadcast laughing at my users, telling them i know they will come back regardless of what i do and/or not do and light up a cuban with a 100$ bill. 

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Twisted_Scot

Good ideas. Definable free PSN+ for a month would be a relativity cheap and easy way for them to win over a good number of people but I think if i was a PSN+ member and all I got out of the deal was a free extra month id still feel a bit pissed. They would have to really up the stakes for them. Judging from how badly handled this whole thing has been I wouldnt be shocked if all you got was a crap arcade game of a netflix voucher of something completely shit. This isnt the end for Sonys PS3 but it could very well be the end of it for 2011. What makes it worse is they appear to have known about issues including the hacker / Anonymous mess and really didn't do anything to upgrade their security. Its a complete disregard of their customers. This is worse that the Toyota deal a while back or the RROD bull from MS. If it turns out to bad as bad as some suspect it is more than just an inconvenience of being without your games system for a few weeks, or using a rental car it could potentially screw people lives up with credit, defaulting on bills or mortgages etc. Sony is very lucky that it happened this time of year and not the run-up to Xmas or release of some major exclusive titles or they would more than likely feel a bigger hit in sales than what they are about too. Some parents would avoid a system tarnished with news like this especially when some are as scared of online tech already.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By EuanDewar

Spend my time planning an hour and a half long apology for E3. Oh and some Uncharted 3 if there's time.

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Pessh

Fire all the PR dudes, hire hotz, keep investigating the 'intrusion,' let people know whats going on for once. Scrap, build a brand new premium network that should at the very least be on par with Live. Make it free for a year. They must already have shit in the works for the PS4 right? Compensate Plus members with an extra month.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By benjaebe

Get off their asses and release cross-game chat.

Pink_o_mat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Pink_o_mat
    @EuanDewar said:
    "Spend my time planning an hour and a half long apology for E3. Oh and some Uncharted 3 if there's time. "

The press conference will be very interesting...
    Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By Punk1984

Easy 1-2 punch:

Punch 1: Current Users "We're sorry, we will do better in the future, here are some discounted PSN titles and a free month of PS+" (Yeah this would be enough)
    Punch 2: General Public in the E3 Keynote "We're sorry, we will do better in the future. PS3 is $249/$199 and $299 with a Move; also Resistance 3, Twisted Metal, Uncharted 3 and after that Last Guardian, Final Fantasy Versus 13, God of War 4!"

Remember a lot of people are assuming this is going to go nuclear and it hasn't yet. There is no evidence of credit card or identity theft. As of right now this is all they need to do. It is stuff they should do anyway, a price cut would be a good idea to get ahead of Microsoft and squash any buzz for Nintendo's new box and a preview month for PS+ would help drive up subscriptions.
    Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Cross the border to Mexico and hide.

thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By thegoldencat7

Well first I'd look up the word 'you're'. Get that one down pat. Then I'd fire myself for incompetence.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @TheDudeOfGaming said:
    " If i was sony, i would make a broadcast laughing at my users, telling them i know they will come back regardless of what i do and/or not do and light up a cuban with a 100$ bill.  "
    yup
    p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By p_p_o_d
    Ok lets talk short term.

what will be in todays update and in the next few days.    Sony have been updating us at least once every a day and haven't said much since they dropped the bomb last night.

I guess if they have more detail on the size of the leak thats would help.   at this point people think everything has been had so anything less then that would be a boost.  ifs its all out then at least we know.  

also more information on how they stored private info before this mess happened would be nice.     

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By onarum

my Sony what?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.