Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation

Platform »

Sony's first video game console established the PlayStation brand. It dominated the 32/64-bit era and was the best-selling home console up until the PlayStation 2.

Playstation Classic - Out December 3rd

• 101 results
    glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By glots

Guess Sony thought they should follow-up on Nintendo’s example.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/09/18/introducing-playstation-classic-with-20-pre-loaded-games/

20 games, priced at $99.99.

• Battle Arena Toshinden
    • Cool Boarders 2
    • Destruction Derby
    • Final Fantasy VII
    • Grand Theft Auto
    • Intelligent Qube
    • Jumping Flash
    • Metal Gear Solid
    • Mr Driller
    • Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
    • Rayman
    • Resident Evil Director’s Cut
    • Revelations: Persona
    • Ridge Racer Type 4
    • Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
    • Syphon Filter
    • Tekken 3
    • Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
    • Twisted Metal
    • Wild Arms

At least Sony will probably provide more units than Nintendo did.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Loading Video...

$100 is a lot for Playstation games!

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We had to pay 120€ for SNES Mini here at the start, so it’s an improvement over that at least.

Not sure if I’m actually interested. Crash and Spyro already got their make-up jobs and Resident Evil 2 is not far behind. That boot-up intro, though...almost worth the price alone.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By liquiddragon

Figure out the line up before announcing this thing at least, jeez. It’s not a bad price but I’m just unwilling to pay $100 for old games. But man, this thing is going to sell. FF7 and Tekken 3, that’s pretty much a slam dunk for mainstream audiences. I guess the only thing they have to really try to get is Tony Hawk 1 or 2.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unfortunately, like 95% of the games I love on the PS1 are niche 3rd party games, so the chance of this being something I'd care about are pretty slim. (Any PS1 collection without Suikoden 2 is just not acceptable.)

I'll give them props for including Wild ARMs at least, but I'd be way more excited if it was Wild ARMs 2. I'm also a little surprised not to see Legend of Dragoon. Pretty sure that's a first party Sony title, and I feel like that actually has more acclaim than Wild ARMs. Although maybe that's just so many years of people demanding a sequel.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Relkin

20 titles isn't nearly enough for that systems catalog. I could fill up a list of just 20 JRPGs that I would want on this device.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I’m not sure why a person wouldn’t just pick up a PS3 and nab the PS1 ports there.

richyhahn4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do not care if I'm 26, I'm asking my mother to buy me a PlayStation for Christmas again.

I'd be happy with a tiny PlayStation on my shelf, but yo its got Wild Arms and an HDMI port? that's worth $100 to me I'd say.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

This may be a stupid hill to die on, but a controller without analog sticks--and thus no potential for Ape Escape, which is an iconic PS1 game for me--makes this a no-go.

Well, the $100 price point for something that will likely have 20 games I already own (or can easily emulate...) was already a big turnoff, so I guess I'm out regardless.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By glots

@sparky_buzzsaw: Probably for the same reason people didn’t just buy WiiU and use it’s virtual console instead of Snes/Nes Mini. (Oh and apparently Tekken 3 at least isn’t available digitally)

I don’t know how it’s in the US, but you can’t pick a PS3 from the store shelf here anymore. Maybe a used one from a game store, if anything. Admittedly still probably easier to find than a WiiU.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By liquiddragon

Apparently this thing doesn’t come with an a/c adapter. It comes with just a usb cable for power.

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This is super cool, wonder what the other games are, I'm so hoping for Crash Team Racing, c'mon Sony, I need it again in my life. I was hoping for a remake after the Crash Trilogy but that didn't happen so that's another chance of some CTR again.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No a/c adapter, no dualshock, 130$ CND, probably weak line up because of a lack of third party games. Noooooope.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

Stupid that they didn't include controllers with analogue sticks. I wonder what their reason is? Is it supposed to be more nostalgic? If so I think that's a dumb decision. After all the DualShock was introduced during the OG Playstation's lifespan and a lot of games supported it.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At first i thought it was a joke guess it's real. Tekken 3 is okay but early 3d games are just hard to go back to they age really badly, unlike SNES games. that's why i never want a N64 classic just the thought makes me puke.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Seikenfreak

Not surprised this is coming. Almost certainly picking one of these up.

The one problem I have is the lack of analog sticks. Seems like that would kill half their catalog, all of it from the second half of its life. Maybe they did it deliberately hoping to cash in on a second console, maybe a PSOne (which would probably be the same size as the original) that has analog sticks and comes with later titles.

Gran Turismo needs to be on this system but that'll suck without sticks. Metal Gear Solid has same issue. Also bet hacking it to add your own stuff won't be as enticing since the games are much larger and, if Sony is deviously smart, will size the memory as close to minimum as possible, encouraging people to want a "Vol. 2" model. Another option is them releasing a little adapter dongle that lets you use PS1/PS2 controllers with it.. and maybe another one that lets you use wireless PS3/PS4 controllers. That's what I'd do if I wanted to be an evil money hoarding exec.

I'd probably say it's harder to pick only 20 games for the PlayStation than it is for the SNES. For me at least.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the original PlayStation but I'm sorry. 20 games isn't anywhere near enough. 50 and you have my money.

clapmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So they only announced 4 or 5 games so far and the thing is already available to pre-order? Doesn't make any sense to me.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By nicksmi56

Too late, Sony. Pretty much every game I would play on this thing I already own or will get through game publishers' love of re-releasing/remastering old games.

Crash Trilogy I'll eventually get on Switch.

Spyro Trilogy is also coming most likely, and even though that pack's crappy release method may put me off, I ain't paying $100 for 3 old games.

Metal Gear Solid - PS3

Final Fantasy 6 and 7 - PS3 and 9 is coming to Switch

Symphony of the Night - PS3

Resident Evil 1 - Could get REmake for Gamecube and Wii, wouldn't be surprised to see that come to Switch as well down the road. Gotta see if I like 4 first though.

Resident Evil 3 - Played on PS3, didn't take to it.

Mega Man X4 - Could get X Legacy Collection on Switch, though that's a maybe in general considering the classic series is so schizophrenic in quality.

Tomb Raider- Anniversary remake regularly goes on sale for .99 on Steam and has full controller support, so I'll get that at some point.

Dragon Quest 7 - Could get 3DS port if I like 8.

And so on and so forth.

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still have my OG PlayStation and all the games they have announced and another 100ish games. No reason for me to get this other than as a collectors item.

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Excited to see Microsoft get on board with the XBOX classic where the controller and console are reduced to be barely under the size of modern consoles.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

This made me realize how much more nostalgia I have for the early PlayStation stuff than any Nintendo property, even though the NES was my first real console. The price is too high, 20 games is not enough and the lack of an AC adapter is disappointing. However, if the games end up including Metal Gear Solid, then fuck, I might end up buying this dumb thing.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

This better come with NBA Jam.

*nods*

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bigsocrates

I have a working PS3 and basically all these games digitally and I'll still probably buy this thing because I have more money than sense and I love classic games so much that I want to encourage them to keep doing this. Plus I have nostalgia for the form factor of the console itself. So many hours spent with that thing.

On the other hand...this is a terrible way to present classic games. Digital is better, or at least make a mini console that can connect to the Internet and you can buy more games on. This is just annoying and cluttery and it means you can't keep everything hooked up because no TV has 9000000 HDMI ports.

Also, while I think classic RPGs are cool, I hope the machine isn't too RPG heavy. In terms of actually playing this thing I am much more likely to fire up a couple tracks on Ridge Racer 4 or a few rounds of Tekken 3 than to try to go all the way through FF VII again. It's the same thing with the NES and SNES systems. I'll play 20 minutes of Gradius from time to time but the original Final Fantasy? Who has time for that in this day and age? FF VII has aged much better than that game, but with only 20 games I'd hope more of them were pick up and play experiences.

At least the controller cables will hopefully be long enough to actually reach my couch.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Microsoft basically letting you put old games into the console to play them seems like a better option than this bundle attached to a novelty piece of hardware. The main use-case of the classic that I can think of is a gift for a non gaming friend/family member that maybe wants to play some of those classic games from their past but doesn’t want the hassle of actually dealing with a modern console.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27  Edited By big_denim

After Nintendo gets slammed for releasing the NES Classic with teeny 5 foot cables, Sony has the gall to release their's with 5 inch cables! Look at those glorious little noodle chords. You could choke out a goldfish with those things!

On a more serious note, please include bluetooth or at the very least an adapter so we can use a DS4 for analog support.

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm excited about this, I noticed the lack of analog sticks as well but I'll live. I'll admit I'm a complete sucker for these classic mini consoles and will probably get my preorder as soon as it pops up over here.

I know they can't fill it with only JRPGs but a part of me wants to see Breath of Fire III on there. It was my first PS game I bought after I got a PS for Christmas and I have fond memories of playing that game.

I'm trying to think of what other games that will be announced but a majority of my gaming on that console was JRPGs.

GASP UmJammer Lammy?...naaah probably Parappa.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By MocBucket62

I gotta give them props for putting Jumping Flash as one of the first 5 games to showcase for the classic console. I might be interested since I'm not super well verse into the PS1 library. Here's what I think will end up being in the final 15 slots though:

• Metal Gear Solid
    • Twisted Metal 2
    • Um Jammer Lammy or actually Parappa the Rapper (I say Lammy gets in over Parappa because Parappa had a remaster recently and I'd say recent remasters rule out certain PS1 games, but Parappa might get in over Lammy anyways just on being more popular).
    • Gran Turismo
    • Crash Team Racing (Will sub the Crash games for this as the Crash rep since Team Racing isn't remastered yet).
    • Tomb Raider
    • Resident Evil 2 (Sure its getting a Remake, but this might get in as a compare and contrast between the original and the Remake.
    • Hot Shots Golf 2
    • Rayman
    • Wipeout (Originally for Ape Escape, but there is no analog sticks so Ape Escape isn't happening sadly. SOny doing what they can to bury Ape Escape for no good reason)
    • Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey (I know there was a remake of this not that long ago, but this game sold incredibly well and its one of the few PS1 games that has CGI that's aged well).
    • Final Fantasy Tactics (A TBS alternative to FF7)
    • Vagrant Story
    • Street Fighter Alpha 3
    • Silent Hill

While I think Spryo should be on that list, I don't think it gets in because on the remastered Trilogy its getting. Also I wanted to put Tony Hawk in there too, but licensing might be a nightmare. Also recently Symphony of the Night got rated on the PS4 in Korea so I think that rules out Symphony of the Night being on here.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d5f33a6b34f9
    deactivated-5d5f33a6b34f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why in god's name would you not include the Dual Analog Controller? The shitty D-Pad on the PS1 controller destroyed my thumb as a kid.
    Cool to see Wild Arms on there though, underrated JRPG imo.

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@doctordonkey: They already announced Tekken and FFVII so they already have at least some support from third parties and they have nd to know you can't release this without MGS and Crash so I think it will be fine on that front.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They didn't even... come up with another name.

jeremyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

If I was a big PS1 fan I'd probably still have a bunch of old discs. I guess this is "neat," but people can play these games anywhere... $100 is also too much. But I got a mini SNES, so that's my bias.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

20 is a shocking number of games framed against the original Playstation's enormous roster of classics. I'll be extremely curious to see the full list.

Obviously the better PR play would've been for Sony to start unifying their libraries the way Microsoft has rather than further fracturing them. But I guess there is some solace to be taken in Sony's efforts to keep vintage games accessible. I guess.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm sold if it has THPS and/or THPS2. Tomb Raider and RE or RE2/3 would be cool too. I still have a bunch of my old PS1 games and a way to play them but there are a lot that got lost or stolen over the years that I would love to see included here.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stonyman65: it is very unlikely to have Tony Hawk or Gran Turismo or any other game with complex licensing. Or if it does a lot of the music will be ripped out, which will ruin the nostalgia.

One of the reasons we’ve seen many more 16 but collections than 32 bit is that 32 was the era of the start of licensing in non-sports games. We won’t see a lot of classic PlayStation stuff for this reason. Just like if we get an N64 classic we won’t see. Goldeneye or Beetle Adventure Racing.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I’m at least interested in seeing how they can even whittle the PS1’s expansive library down to just 20 titles, especially given the lack of analog sticks. They’d better be amazing if they’re going to justify that $100 price point, especially since you can still get PS1 games on PS3 for dirt cheap during a sale.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think going straight for the Nintendo model is a bad move. As you all stated, playstation games are readily available. Also because they are 3D games, they can look much better than their original via PC ports or even emulation. Sure, you can emulate every SNES game but the graphical fidelity isn't really going to be that much better.

If I was running Sony...I would make a playstation classic handheld. It would play PSP, ps1, and ps2 games. And obviously it could connect to your TV.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BradBrains

I’m interested in places like my life in gaming picking this thing apart more than anything

I want to know what’s under that hood

kurtbro900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell yes, that's radical!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d5f33a6b34f9
    deactivated-5d5f33a6b34f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bradbrains said:

I want to know what’s under that hood

An old version of Bleem!

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I’m at least interested in seeing how they can even whittle the PS1’s expansive library down to just 20 titles, especially given the lack of analog sticks. They’d better be amazing if they’re going to justify that $100 price point, especially since you can still get PS1 games on PS3 for dirt cheap during a sale.

A lot of that will be whittled before Sony even starts curating a list, I'll bet, to echo what @bigsocrates mentioned. Licensing entanglements have probably narrowed their choices more than we realize.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

You can buy a PS3 and play any PS1 game on disc and a rather large library of them digitally, with an HDMI output. And it can even play PS3 games, too! And it's not that much more expensive! And the controller even has analog sticks!

But I still might buy this, especially if it's easily hack-able and I can put any PS1 ISO on it that I want to.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Search Google for "best ps1 games"... 20 is no where near enough.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Dan_CiTi

The controllers not having dualshock is a deal breaker for me. That means no Ape Escape so....yeah I'm good. I'll see what the hacking scene is like I guess.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Won't be worth getting until its able to be hacked and get all/most games on it like the NES/SNES were. 20 games just isn't enough for $100

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BallsLeon

Rasberry Pi 3 is $30-40, and you could use bluetooth DualShock 4s.... just saying.

Avatar image for securityguruguy
    SecurityGuruGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But does it have crossplay?

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Woof. 100$ seems a pretty steep price tag for 20 (mostly unknown) games, non analog controllers, and no power supply (that last one is less of an issue since I assume they assume most people will just plug it into their TVs USB slot for power, but this will definitely be a problem for some people.) Obviously we'll get the whole list of games by the time it comes out, but it leaves me worried they don't already have a full line up out there.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@richyhahn4: Rock on! I will follow your lead. (unsuccessfully)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.