Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption II

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 26, 2018

The third game in Rockstar's Wild West-themed series is a prequel to the events of Red Dead Redemption, returning to the open-world action of its predecessor.

Red Dead Redemption 2 Coming 2017 to Xbox One and Playstation 4

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

It is console exclusive because of the amount of money that GTA V earned post-purchase compared to the PC release. RDR Online is going to be a huge focus of this game, just like GTA Online was for V.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@howardian said:
    @horseman6 said:
    @howardian said:

Holy shit no PC. After all of GTA V's success on the platform.

Holy shit, unbelievable these guys are.

My guess is that if anything the launch would be in Fall of 2017 but PC release would be late 2017, early 2018. GTA V on PC was released much later than on console.

Which begs the question: was PC included in the initial announcement for GTA V or not? Some research needs to be made.

Nope. The initial announcement was Xbox 360 and PS3. Then I believe they announced the PC, PS4, and Xbox One versions of the game, and then delayed the PC version by a few months.

If I'm remembering correctly, Rockstar repeatedly denied rumors of a PC release for quite a while, until the PS4 and Xbox One versions were released. They'll probably do the same thing with this game, for whatever reason.

@kasaioni said:

@wheresderrick But it's the second "Redemption" game in the series. So it's Red Dead Redemption 2. If they used the word Revolver instead, it would be Red Dead Revolver 2. The only way there would be a 3 anywhere in the name is if they called it Red Dead 3: Re_______. Metal Gear Solid 2 is the fourth game in its series, but it's only the second "Solid" title; hence, 2.

And its the third Red Dead game, but now this gets abbreviated to "RDR2" when it is actually "RDR3"

I get its the second Redemption game, but if its also suppose to be a prequel (and not a sequel or sequel/prequel) its odd it is numbered as the second.

The Red Dead part of the name is easily recognized and anyone would know exactly what you are referring to if they had chosen another word to finish it off. Redemption 2 just feels weird

The practice of making a numbered sequel a prequel to a previous entry isn't unheard of. Let's talk about Metal Gear for a minute.

There's Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2, Metal Gear Solid (being the third game in the series), Metal Gear Solid 2 (fourth game), Metal Gear Solid 3 (fifth game and a prequel to all the others), Metal Gear Solid 4 (sixth game and the furthest along in the series aside from Revengeance), and Metal Gear Solid 5 (seventh game, sequel to the fifth game in the series which is the third Solid and prequel to all other Metal Gear games). And Peace Walker is in there somewhere but it's not a numbered entry.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Dan_CiTi

People are surprised by the name? I guess I would have liked another "Re" word but it makes sense. It's kind of like Metal Gear Solid, the sequel to Metal Gear 2: SOLID Snake was Metal Gear Solid, which was almost a reimagining of MG2 (which itself almost felt like MG1 redux, and so on.)

They gave a sequel some cool new name and that one became mega popular so it became the archetype for the series going forward.

Oh and no one (rightfully) gives a fuck about Red Dead Revolver. Not a bad game, but was kind of just another PS2 game in the grand scheme of things.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesus_phish:So that's a chart of people spending money on GTA Online money packs right? It certainly does look favoured to consoles. And it spikes around the PS4/XBOX One remasters, so it's not just a matter of 4 platforms vs PC.

I would be very surprised if there wasn't a PC port in addition somewhere down the line. GTAV seems to be in the top 10 games on steam all the time and it hasn't ever had a really deep price cut. If it's going to have as long a tail as GTAV has had, a later PC release is part of that.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By MeierTheRed

@jesus_phish said:
     Why Rockstar might not actually give a shit about a PC release summed up in one image.
    Why Rockstar might not actually give a shit about a PC release summed up in one image.

Sure all of those micro-transactions sell a ton on console, on PC players just hack and cheat the multiplayer. No wonder their margins are larger on the console online front. Also there are no values on that Y axis, why is that?.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By kasaioni

@dan_citi said:

Oh and no one (rightfully) gives a fuck about Red Dead Revolver. Not a bad game, but was kind of just another PS2 game in the grand scheme of things.

Also this; I didn't know Revolver existed and that Redemption was somehow related to it until I looked it up. I'm pretty sure the average person who liked Redemption doesn't care or know about Revolver, so it makes sense to call this "2" if they're going to call it Redemption.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope this takes place in the 1850's.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Jesus_Phish

@meierthered: The company who provide the data have that behind a paywall. They put that graph up themselves, if people want to know more they have to pay for it.

@paulmako yeah that's what it is. You can see spikes at the next gen launches and some of the free dlc packs like the lowrider one, but overall the magnitude they sell on console vs pc is staggering.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meierthered: The company who provide the data have that behind a paywall. They put that graph up themselves, if people want to know more they have to pay for it.

@paulmako yeah that's what it is. You can see spikes at the next gen launches and some of the free dlc packs like the lowrider one, but overall the magnitude they sell on console vs pc is staggering.

Ah i see, from what i gathered from their twitter post the graph represents GTA Online.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'd actually like to know what's actually going on at Rockstar. They have studios all over the world but their next game will be a 4 year gap from their previous one. Surely they have more going on than just GTA Online and now RDR2?

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Doesn't this guy look a hell of a lot like Bill Williamson? Prequel?

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#113  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@kasaioni: I wish I could be that strong but for Rockstar and Red Dead I just can't. Unless they come out and say the PC version is like 3 months out or something.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_ruiner: posted about that in the other thread. One looks like Javier Esquela and John as well, to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a55abbb2b8a9
    deactivated-5a55abbb2b8a9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would have to imagine it will be a prequel. Red Dead Redemption ends on 1914. If it takes place closer to 1920, it becomes Boardwalk Empire. That would be amazing in it's own right (love that show) but it wouldn't be the cowboy Red Dead, that we know. Either way, today is a great day and cannot wait for that trailer to drop :D

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

@jesus_phish: You're right, let's just totally discount the 5+ million copies of GTA V that sold on PC.

Of course they're going to release this game on PC.

an_ancient

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mmm yes, I was kind of hoping for this. It's time for free marketing by creating petitions and lots of angry youtube videos!

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I'm down for a prequel as long as they get Marston's VA back,

I hope to comes to PC!

One of my favorite game worlds of last gen

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell yes I'm down for another one of these. This will be great.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Red Dead Redemption 2 is a dumb name, especially if this is a prequel. Red Dead Renegade is much better, or Red Dead Rebellion, Red Dead Reunion, Red Dead Resolution, etc.

That said, this news is awesome. I'm in, and can't wait for the Thursday trailer.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I really hate the fact that they just called it Red Dead Redemption 2. I get why the marketing team would push that, but it's the most fucking unimaginative, uncreative bullshit title.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
    deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a prequel about Dutch's gang in the vein of the magnificent seven. It's gotta be.

Also, I was going to say the title is fine but then I saw "Red Dead Reunion". If this is the game I think it is, that would've be a neat title. Oh well, it's not any dumber than Metal Gear Solid 2.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Jeff hates it already.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hate the name. It's bullshit.

OceanEve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they're almost certainly also working on Red Dead Online to. The article ln gamespot about this announcement mentions that a domain name was recently discovered. R*'s press release also says something like "and The game's vast and atmospheric world will also provide the foundation for a brand-new online multiplayer experience." It made them a ton of money in the past I guess! O.o

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

A prequel starring many of the same characters is just about the least imaginative thing they could've done, so I really hope there's more to the game than that.

ToySoldier83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know why they're going with Redemption 2, but kinda wish they would not have gone numerical and just kept changing the last word in the title until they ran out of R words that would have made sense (Red Dead Retribution) and then started to use R words that didn't like "Red Dead Rockstar" or "Red Dead Rocket".

Cr0ssbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Dead Revolver was a shitty game that sold less than a million copies. They named it Redemption to separate itself from Revolver's troubled game's production and reception (and because they had nothing in common). Red Dead Redemption sold over 10x as many copies and is considered one of the best games from that generation. Of course they'd just put a 2 on the end of it.

DevourerOfTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 65

Duder Feed asks me what my gut reaction to this announcement is:

Loading Video...

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will add it to the list of Rockstar games i won't finish because there wasn't a PC release at the time, much like the first.

tyn0mite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just finished this game within the last few months for the first time and loved it! I'm going to guess that the seven people are members of Dutch's gang and you will play the lead up to Marston getting picked up by the government.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

#133  Edited By Colonel_Pockets

@colourful_hippie: I don't know if GTA V's sales ever trailed off.

I'm not sure why everyone is assuming this is a "story sequel" to Red Dead Redemption. Grand Theft Auto IV is technically a sequel to Grand Theft Auto III, but they have completely different characters.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@howardian: Because they are going to get a significant amount of people who will buy it twice, just like GTAV. They always intended to release on PC and they know it will do well, they're doing the same here.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Ezekiel

@notnert427 said:

Red Dead Redemption 2 is a dumb name, especially if this is a prequel. Red Dead Renegade is much better, or Red Dead Rebellion, Red Dead Reunion, Red Dead Resolution, etc.

That said, this news is awesome. I'm in, and can't wait for the Thursday trailer.

I like Red Dead Damnation. The story would be the opposite of Redemption, a protagonist becoming evil and dooming him or herself. Numbered titles are trite.

I do hope they're playing the same game as they did with GTA V, making people double dip for the PC version six months to a year later, but if not, I won't be too bothered, as GTA V was mediocre and RDR not much better with a second (attempted) playthrough. The story will probably be just as weak and filled with immature humor and the controls will still be sluggish.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not going to play it twice, so I'll be waiting for PC. It'll be a long wait, I'm sure. No shortage of other shit to play. Whatevs.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Doesn't this guy look a hell of a lot like Bill Williamson? Prequel?

Any other familiar characters in there?

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Jesus_Phish

@mike: What am I right about?

Because I never said we should ignore anything. Or that the game wouldn't come out on PC. Which you seem to be inferring.

It's just an interesting graph that shows why they're likely focusing on consoles first since that's the place they're making all their after sale money on.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Hopefully they make this game fun to play. I'm all about atomosphere and cool settings but one thing the Mafia games (and the original Red Dead Redemption) taught me is it can only take you so far.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl said:

Any other familiar characters in there?

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5d056614f191a
    deactivated-5d056614f191a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

This is good news. I should replay the first redemption game. Never beat it.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comparing 4 platforms to one, that's very fair indeed...

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We have the trailer for this landing in a couple of hours! Funny that it's been scheduled for the same day as a new console reveal as that's pretty much the only thing big another to overshadow a new Rockstar game. Aside Half Life 3 and a new Elder Scrolls.

I am very interested to see what it looks like. The GTAV reveal showed a decent amount of the world and had people speculating about the characters.

tyn0mite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By tyn0mite

Now that the Nintendo Switch is old news.... 5 minutes until the Red Dead 2 trailer!

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By paulmako
    Loading Video...

YEEHAW

Well that looks exquisitely beautiful. Wow.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eeeeeek I'm so excited!! Positively giddy actually. It looks so beautiful, I'm glad Rockstar gets to make lovely, moody worlds like this and not just overbearing stereotypes running around caricatures of American cities.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By hassun

At 46s what are those tower things? Petroleum drilling?

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Jesus_Phish

It looked pretty, but there was barely anything in it to get excited over.

And pretty looking video game trailers mean nothing.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#149  Edited By Milkman

Not really much to see in that trailer. Looks like Red Dead.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With the shot of the canoe, I wonder if this game has any water traversal. The first game had specifically zero swimming. Oh and the fire scene has some real Days of Heaven type shit going on.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.