Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

Why does Jeff hate RDR?

• 128 results
    GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By GoofyGoober

This thread is not clicking with me.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By iamjohn
    Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

I honestly don't understand why people like it so much.

I started Red Dead right off of finally finishing up GTAIV and it just seemed like the same exact game conceptually except you could do less interesting things and the story wasn't gripping at all. It isn't because I was getting bored of that type of play either, because I went back to play Gay Tony when that went on sale and loved it.

Man, I should go finish that.

I actually liked the multiplayer more than singleplayer in RDR though because you could go do that shit with people which made it a lot more engaging. I hope they roll some of that into the next GTA.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By Buscemi

I never understood why people clicked so well with GTA IV. I absolutely loved Vice City, a funnier game, in more than one way, for sure.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#55  Edited By JasonR86
    @iAmJohn said:
    @GoofyGoober said:
    This thread is not clicking with me.
    Great reply, or greatest reply?

I don't know, in my opinion, that reply didn't click with me.  But that's just my opinion.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#56  Edited By Claude

A better question would be "Why does Jeff love fighting games?"

I think they suck. They don't float my boat and they're not my cup of tea if you know what I mean.

SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By SBYM

He didn't give a satisfactory explanation for why he hates this game so much, and frankly I'm getting just a little sick and tired with the way he bashes it at every opportunity. When other people say they like RDR, he makes fun of them and tries to tell them that their opinion is wrong, because he hates the game, you see. Except for here's the TWIST PART, he's only saying he hates the game (actual quote: "I hate Red Dead Redemption.") to seem cool and more like a real critic, y'all. He actually doesn't have any problem with it, but decided to say he doesn't like it because that makes all the sense in the world. That's how much he hates the game, you guys. Seriously, that much. Literally.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By emem
    @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    I thought it was because he couldn't figure out how the horses worked.
    Haha, indeed.
    musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#59  Edited By musclerider

Someone doesn't like a game that most people like? What a fucking surprise.

People need to stop freaking out just because one of the reviewers on a videogame website doesn't like a certain game. 
    If you like it, fine. If you don't, fine. Whatever.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By penguindust

Maybe he didn't like the ropin' and breakin' horses game play.  Goodness, I know I detested it and found it to be one of the worst experiences I've ever had in a game.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By JasonR86
    @Claude said:
    A better question would be "Why does Jeff love fighting games?" I think they suck. They don't float my boat and they're not my cup of tea if you know what I mean.
    I think it would be great if Jeff started the thread...

'Why does Claude hate fighting games?"
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Claude
    @JasonR86 said:
    @Claude said:
    A better question would be "Why does Jeff love fighting games?" I think they suck. They don't float my boat and they're not my cup of tea if you know what I mean.
    I think it would be great if Jeff started the thread...'Why does Claude hate fighting games?"
    Oh my and then Jeff would be just trolling me. I would get a mod to lock it down for my answers would be rather stupid. Like, "I suck at them and wish not to learn or get better at them."
    Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

its just his opinion.  i mean i liked the game and i looked past all its problems and i had a great time.  why isnt there a review for RDR on this site?

SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By SBYM
    @the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:
    its just his opinion.  i mean i liked the game and i looked past all its problems and i had a great time.  why isnt there a review for RDR on this site?
    Jeff saying it didn't click with him is the review.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Claude
    @the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:
    That's a whole different ball of wax. I never heard anything official, but it seemed Rockstar didn't send out a review copy or some shit. And after a week or so, I guess a review didn't matter. I still know the opinions of the crew about RDR, just not in review form.
    ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By ClaritySam
    @Laketown said:
    @ClaritySam said:
    @Tarsier said:
    jeff has been getting extremely ridiculous over the last couple years.. he hates on things that are great for no reason other than to sound like a critic.
    Exactly this.
    I am not a critic and I also hated RDR for the controls being ass and the story being fairly boring, OH NO.Of course I don't understand why he liked GTAIV so much but everyone has different tastes
    Agreed, but when I look at Jeffs "hate list" it just seems like he's arbitrarily thrown lots of popular things on there in order to look cool.  The whole concept of a "hate list" seems a little unprofessional as well, more the sort of thing I'd expect from a 14 year old blogger than a grizzled veteran like Jeff.  
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#67  Edited By Yanngc33

Because RDR is just kind of boring. Riding the horse is a pain and I never want to cattle herd ever again

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By JasonR86
    @Claude said:
    @JasonR86 said:
    @Claude said:
    I think it would be great if Jeff started the thread...'Why does Claude hate fighting games?"
    Oh my and then Jeff would be just trolling me. I would get a mod to lock it down for my answers would be rather stupid. Like, "I suck at them and wish not to learn or get better at them."
    Or you could just say 'fighting games don't click with me' and then he could go on a rant about why saying that game's don't 'click' with people is a load of bull-shit.
    SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By SBYM
    @ClaritySam said:
    @Laketown said:
    @ClaritySam said:
    @Tarsier said:
    jeff has been getting extremely ridiculous over the last couple years.. he hates on things that are great for no reason other than to sound like a critic.
    Exactly this.
    I am not a critic and I also hated RDR for the controls being ass and the story being fairly boring, OH NO.Of course I don't understand why he liked GTAIV so much but everyone has different tastes
    Agreed, but when I look at Jeffs "hate list" it just seems like he's arbitrarily thrown lots of popular things on there in order to look cool.  The whole concept of a "hate list" seems a little unprofessional as well, more the sort of thing I'd expect from a 14 year old blogger than a grizzled veteran like Jeff.  
    Stepping out of sarcasm mode for a second, I'd like to point at that in all likelihood, Jeff was not the one who made the Hate list on his page; it's editable by anyone on the site (try it yourself!).
    ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By ClaritySam
    @SBYM said:
    @ClaritySam said:
    @Laketown said:
    @ClaritySam said:
    @Tarsier said:
    Exactly this.
    Stepping out of sarcasm mode for a second, I'd like to point at that in all likelihood, Jeff was not the one who made the Hate list on his page; it's editable by anyone on the site (try it yourself!).
    I didn't think of that to be honest.  I can't think of any reason why someone would writ a fake hate list for someone else, but y'know...... Internets...... :-)
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Characters in Red Dead (and debatably GTA4) exist to be dramatic device appropriate to the setting and narrative, and not to actually be living humans on the screen.  Compare it to Uncharted or Mass Effect, where the characters, for all their tropes and cliches, exist as people and not dramatic devices.  Compare Mass Effect's Mordin Solus to Red Dead's Macdougall.  On the surface they are both motormouth scientific types, very entertaining to watch.  But one stops there and the other keeps going.  Every character in RDR exists to play a type, none of them feel 'real', they just seem like a creature of their era.  The snake oil salesman is just a snake oil salesman, the world weary gunslinger has no arc, the embattled rancher woman is exactly that deep.  Meanwhile if you took Jack, Elena Fisher, and Zevran as criminal, reporter and assassin, you're missing out on so much of their characters.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Hot_Karl
    @ClaritySam: But to some people, things you hate might seem like you "arbitrarily threw lots of popular things on there in order to look cool".
    Look, here's an example of things I hate. 

I hate Children of Men. People cream their fucking pants over that movie, and I think it's terrible.
    I hate Mirror's Edge. IMO, That game sucks in every single possible way, but again, people really like that game.
     Call of Duty. the millions & millions who buy that game on a yearly basis can have it, I don't think it's a fun game.
    And so on...
    To someone, that might seem like I threw popular, beloved things in there just to make myself look cool. I don't. I legitimately don't like these things. 

People have differing opinions. Shocker! No need to get worked up about it.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Claude
    @JasonR86 said:
    @Claude said:
    @JasonR86 said:
    @Claude said:
    Or you could just say 'fighting games don't click with me' and then he could go on a rant about why saying that game's don't 'click' with people is a load of bull-shit.
    I would read that argument. Someone should get Jeff's ass in here. He's got some splainin' to do.
    ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By ClaritySam
    @VinceNotVance: Who's worked up? ;-)
    Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Hot_Karl
    @ClaritySam: Everyone else, apparently.

I think the ultimate argument for any of this should be: "I don't like this game/movie/book/whatever. Why? Fuck you, that's why."
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I hate Futurama too.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By cookiemonster

Don't understand why people get so wound up about other people not liking a game, or music or a film or whatever. Its just not for them, for whatever reason they give. Its really not going to affect their lives too much if they don't think they are missing out.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By mnzy

That list is long and has alot of things on it that I love.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By JazGalaxy
    @HandsomeDevil said:
    I hate the excuse of "I didn't "click" with me." What does that even mean?
    I dunno. I can kind of see it.

I mean, I liked RDR, but I can COMPELTELY see how someone wouldn't.

Rockstar's life simulation style of gameplay frequently means I'm doing stuff I don't want to be doing in thier games, whether that's driving from place to place, doing inane missions that feel like a chore, or nursing game mechanics that I don't care about like having friends in GTA 5. I like the games overall, but I can see how someone wouldn't ESPECIALLY given how long it takes to get to the point where you're actually PLAYING modern games.
    williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By williamhenry
    @SBYM said:
    @ClaritySam said:
    @Laketown said:
    @ClaritySam said:
    @Tarsier said:
    Exactly this.
    He didn't write any of that list, it was made by users. He even said so on Patrick's first podcast. Its not factual at all either, its all jokes. I don't think he has written anything on his own page.

And honestly, who the hell cares if Jeff doesn't like a certain game and what his reasons for not liking that game are. He has an opinion just like everyone else and god forbid its different than most people's.
    Avatar image for activatetheasset
    activatetheasset

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By activatetheasset

It's also worth mentioning that these guys don't have time to play through every single game released to completion. If you're not writing a review and you can tell early on that you're not going to enjoy the game, why would you want to spend more time with it? (especially if the game is as long as Red Dead)

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By mnzy
    @HandsomeDevil said:
    I hate the excuse of "I didn't "click" with me." What does that even mean?
    You've probably seen a movie people recommended and didn't like it. Without being able to exactly point at the reason. That's what it is.
    Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#83  Edited By Sooperspy

Not regarding the topic, but after reading the things that jeff hates, how can he hate Bruce Campbell, "Aliens", Jerry Seinfeld and his show, Resident Evil, and superheroes?

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#84  Edited By Vinny_Says

There is a podcast before the release of the game where Jeff went to PAX or GDC or DICE and mentions that he wanted to go to the Rockstar booth but if anyone saw him there they would "kill him"....anyone know what that's about?

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#85  Edited By Lelcar

I respect most of Jeff's opinions and he usually puts forth some pretty solid points, however, I agree that there are a few things that Jeff dislikes for seemingly no logical reason whatsoever. For instance, the Limbo debate during the GOTY talks. I still don't understand how his argument carried any water.

But, you know, the same goes for Brad or Ryan or Vinny. Each of them can make sound arguments that make a lot of sense, but occasionally they all do have their childish vices for not liking a game simply because "i just don't like it." All of us have that though.

That's why there are multiple people at Giantbomb all with contrasting opinions. Something for everybody.

Pandasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Pandasaurus
    @brainboy77 said:

@Pandasaurus said:

i can tell you why i don't like RDR:
    the character development of Marshal does not fit the actions he does in missions (killing countless unnamed men, who probably have pixel families too) 
    that he is might to be a intelligent and self determined character yet he follows the order of people that both you and he must know will never actually help him- that irish guy, that medicine guy
    Marshal is meant to be a "rouge who is trying to redeem himself"- his actions don't live up to this reputation
    also fucking Mexico
    You pretty much lose all credibility about this subject when you can't even remember the protagonist's name and if you had actually played through the game's ending, you would have seen the "redemption" and the sacrifices Marston had to do to achieve it
     i could make a pithy rebuttal about the character being forgettable but that would be snide and untrue- instead i simply forgot a characters's name/ remembered it as a very similar one. I'm not sure that entirely invalidates my opinion on a game. 

I agree with you that the story is very clever, and the ending could have been potentially great, but i think that the gameplay mechanics largely nullify the impact of that story and its ending. Rockstar really wanted us as an audience to care about Marston but most of his missions involved so much violence, murder and mindless-following-of-orders that I ended not caring about him at all. Marston is a contradictory character- the Marston we see in cut scenes is not the same one we are controlling for the most part.

As pointed out earlier this is a problem that appears in all Rockstar games: Rockstar Protagonist Syndrome. I think GTAIV gets away with it because the story is written in such a way that every mission advances the plot in some way, and more importantly that it's protagonist is a stone-cold killer psychopath bent on revenge. Sure Niko Bellic has some redeeming qualites and has his own character arc, but i always felt totally aware that he was essentially fucked-up. There is a reason Bellic seems willing to murder anything that moves in GTAIV, because essentially he is just as evil as the people he is hunting down. Marston is simply too "good" a character to be riding around murdering fools on a horse for 30 hours.

i'm not talking about the actions in cut-scenes but the actions in the gameplay itself
    amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By amomjc

I don't think people are getting all riled up about this because Jeff hates a game that most everyone likes. I think they are getting worked up about it because of Jeff's status on this website. From what I have seen, a review completes games, at least past the beginning, to truly put an opinion it. That way if the beginning sucked, but the rest was great, he can express his opinion that way.  When you do not even finish something, but act like you have and make accusations and opinions that only someone who has would, that's when people get pissed.

It's not like were talking about some random-schmoe's opinion, its a person we all come to a website to hear from and when the content said person releases is lackluster and shit, we get mad.

Just my opinion though, and since I have to get on the gravy train, RDR didn't really click with me either.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By MrKlorox

Cause it's not a hood flick.

firewrkninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By firewrkninja
    @monte said:
    Fuck... after reading that list. How can someone hate Futurama?
    Exactly
    ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#90  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan
    @Underachiever007 said:
    @Sin4profit said:

@TheSeductiveMoose: yeah, the whole list seems to be fan made and questionable. 

I'm fairly sure he gave Ninja Gaiden Black a very positive review. Don't know where that came from.

He was just filling in for Greg Kasavin for the video review. I don't think he's a fan.
    donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By donchipotle
    @Redbullet685 said:
    Not regarding the topic, but after reading the things that jeff hates, how can he hate Bruce Campbell, "Aliens", Jerry Seinfeld and his show, Resident Evil, and superheroes?

It is very easy to hate Seinfeld. That show is and was a piece of shit.

But on topic...I have nothing else to add. Dude doesn't have to like popular games rabble rabble rabble
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#92  Edited By natetodamax

Jeff is a TOTAL DICK. He dislikes this game that I like. Clearly, he's just trying to be all critical and get attention. No other reason.

Give me a break.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#93  Edited By Icemael

The movement controls are really stiff, the guns are boring and he doesn't like Westerns.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By RsistncE
    @VelvetLore04 said:
    @Redbullet685 said:
    It is very easy to hate Seinfeld. That show is and was a piece of shit. But on topic...I have nothing else to add. Dude doesn't have to like popular games rabble rabble rabble
    Fuck you, Seinfeld was and always will be the funniest show to ever grace television.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By natetodamax
    @RsistncE said:
    @VelvetLore04 said:
    @Redbullet685 said:
    It is very easy to hate Seinfeld. That show is and was a piece of shit. But on topic...I have nothing else to add. Dude doesn't have to like popular games rabble rabble rabble
    Fuck you, Seinfeld was and always will be the funniest show to ever grace television.
    You're wrong, buddy.
    Avatar image for deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a
    deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People like different things, that's just how it works.
    I personally loved RDR. Though now L.A.Noire is occupying my time...

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By RsistncE
    @natetodamax said:
    @RsistncE said:
    @VelvetLore04 said:
    @Redbullet685 said:
    You're wrong, buddy.
    More like, "I'm right."
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By natetodamax
    @RsistncE: Now you just sound like HitmanAgent47.
    Natesaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Natesaint

I've never finished a Rockstar game. I can enjoy some open world games, but I just don't finish them. I get lost in the myriad of seemingly pointless missions. Go here. Do this. Hey. Go over there. I always end up just shooting civilians. Except GTA4, that game sucked so bad I didn't even bother killing civilians. I completed a couple of mission in RDR, guess what? It didn't click for me. I liked the surroundings, the scenery was nice, but when I got closer I recognized what it was. Just another damn Rockstar game.
    donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By donchipotle
    @RsistncE said:
    @VelvetLore04 said:
    @Redbullet685 said:
    Arrested Development was a far superior show. Hell, Night Court was a funnier show.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.