Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil Village

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released May 07, 2021

After a disturbing encounter with Chris Redfield, Ethan Winters must rescue his daughter in a village overrun with mutant creatures in the follow-up to Resident Evil 7: Biohazard.

Am i the only one disappointed that they went back to fps?

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Giant_Gamer

In my opinion RE7 was like RE:Survivor with AAA budget. I can't say i didn't like it (because i also like Survivor back in the day) but i'm pretty sure that i'm not going to play it again in the future.

After it came in RE2 remake and got us all so happy about it. RE3 remake was great too although i wished they didn't stray too far from the original game.

Anyway, after all the positive feedback that Capcom got from us about the remakes i find that i'm a bit disappointed that they went back to fps. Is it just me or do you like RE7 style better?

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

It's disappointing there's no vr mode , at least not that I've heard . I probably prefer 3D view , though as long as it's a quality game I don't really care.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By liquiddragon

They already announced REmake4 so it’s not either or. Both styles are cool in their own way and this one feels really different and new. Not much to complain about on my end.

If one of the approach becomes the clear path forward beyond RE8 and REmake4, then I’m sure they'll take that route. But for now, I’m happy w. the double pronged development.

ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

After the positive feedback Capcom got from Resident Evil 7 I'm not at all surprised they decided to make another game in first person view, and I think it's an refreshing take on the series.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad they are going back to first person for 8, I liked 7 in a way I haven't enjoyed an RE game in a long time. I like the combat in the recent remakes a lot too, but I don't really have a hard preference over either, they both bring their own pros and cons and I'm more just happy that they have found away to move forward with both approaches.

shorap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’m a bit bummed, especially after how well the two remakes controlled and how great the characters looked in third person. I’m more disappointed that they went back to Ethan as the protagonist. Like, his arc felt pretty tied up and there’s plenty of previous resident evil characters to bring back.

doerr007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I Wish they would remake Re:CV since 4 is more modern than that one.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh shit, they're remaking RE4? Are you telling me that i've waited for 5-6 years on this RE4 project to finish, only for an official remaster to appear that might be of a higher quality? :D

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@shorap: Agreed. I really wasnt a fan of Ethan, without going into spoilers I was glad to be done with him. (and i'm sad thats hes back) I also find it harder to care about a character I cant/never see.

I thought Condemned did it better (having third person cutscenes) and had the superior Ethan. (despite things getting really wacky and the character being overhauled in 2) Resident Evil 7 is the better game though.

I also find third person (from a gameplay perspective) seems to work better for survival horror games in my experience. Less shit is shoved in your face and there arent as many hide and seek sequences which devolve into trial and error for me. (especially in games like Outlast and the like)

I have faith in Capcom though, and we're (apparently) getting an RE4 remake and seemingly more third person remakes coming in the future so I cant complain. It will probably help prevent fatigue the more they mix things up between the games.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ToughShed

Given there is another tract of third person RE games its hard to complain. You're going to get RE 4 Remake and maybe something else after (I am not sure if they will do any others). 0 and Code Veronica would be cool I think to try to salvage those games. 5 is fine but so bloated I think I'd rather just leave it and 6 alone.

I get wanting the new though. I personally didn't like RE 7 so much and this trailer didn't do anything for me either.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ToughShed
    @onemanarmyy said:

Oh shit, they're remaking RE4? Are you telling me that i've waited for 5-6 years on this RE4 project to finish, only for an official remaster to appear that might be of a higher quality? :D

I feel for those guys. They're close. Been following it also. I think it will have its place though.

We will see how much changes in the Remake (I hope some, I would like to be done with the entire last part on the Island for my 2 cents, the zombie commando shit is dumb).

djredbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@giant_gamer: You didn't play 7 in VR did you cause if you did you would not find FP disappointing. I completed the game 3 times twice in VR and once on the PC and without VR it lost so much of the tension. Even though 8 hasn't been confirmed to have VR considering PS5 will support PS4 VR and rumor has it there working on a new headset the chances are very high if not at launch it will be added later on.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They have to call RE9 RE sIX if they want to keep sneaking in the sequel number in the title. 🤣

djredbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By djredbat

@onemanarmyy: I remember when Capcom contacted Invader Studios who were working on there own RE 2 remake and asked them to stop development they then turned there work into Daymare: 1998 and released it on PC, PS4 and Xbox One. So I am surprised the same hasn't happened to the RE4 project.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cikame

RE7 was so well received it makes sense they'd do it again, but i'm a massive fan of 4, 5 and 6 so naturally i'm a little disappointed.
    It's true that they're still making 3rd person RE games, but i didn't really like RE2:Remake all that much, being stuck in one location, being constantly interrupted by the worlds most annoying invincible monster, nerfing the combat so it doesn't feel satisfying at all, it all helps the survival horror feel of the game i guess but that's not what attracted me to the franchise from 2005 to 2015. I haven't played RE3:Remake yet because i know it won't blow me away, i will some day, but i'll probably watch someone else play 8 like i did 7, and the RE4 remake... i have mixed feelings about, RE4 is one of the best games of all time, one of the few to get perfect scores from multiple outlets, you're going to re-invent that? Good f***ing luck, at least it sounds like they're going to take their time with it.
    For everyone else there's the RE4HD Project.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

As an outsider looking in, from what I see people generally want to feel scared when playing Resident Evil, and RE7 seemed to do that really well with it's first person perspective.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm very happy about it, myself. Mostly because of the chance of another VR Resi, but also because 7 was such a breath of fresh air that it'd be crazy for them to not revisit that at least once more.

Also, it fits. If we go strictly by numbered entries: The first three games were classic tank-style RE. The second three games were third person action-heavy RE. It'd follow the trend for 7, 8, and possibly 9 being creepy first-person RE. After 9, I'd hope they switch it up again.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

As an outsider looking in, from what I see people generally want to feel scared when playing Resident Evil...

No Caption Provided

For me it was all about having fun :P.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cikame said:
    @humanity said:

As an outsider looking in, from what I see people generally want to feel scared when playing Resident Evil...

No Caption Provided

For me it was all about having fun :P.

Umbrella just wanna have fun

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: True, to that. They also like watching streamers and YouTubers lose it at a scare. It's what made Slenderman a big deal and somehow every RE game after it includes its version of Slenderman.

Too bad Konami, didn't jump in. Because it would be really great if we get a new SilentHill game or a remake at least.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@giant_gamer: A Silent Hill 2 remake using the RE engine would be really spectacular. That game deserves to actually be fun to play because the narrative is really interesting as is the whole psychological nightmare setting. But oh lord was Silent Hill 2 absolute rubbish to play.

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

This series is in transition. They ended up with bad diminishing returns on the gameplay style of RE4, and made a leap to FPS which I think really paid of in RE7, though it's not my favorite. I think they're trying to find a groove again. The most memorable parts of RE7 for me took place very early on, but if they can refine it some I think they'll end up with a good game. I would move the needle more towards the obvious PT influence on RE7, if I could.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@shorap said:

I’m a bit bummed, especially after how well the two remakes controlled and how great the characters looked in third person. I’m more disappointed that they went back to Ethan as the protagonist. Like, his arc felt pretty tied up and there’s plenty of previous resident evil characters to bring back.

Speaking of, I'm a little disappointed they went back to Chris. IMO, he's the worst playable RE character.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't handle the 1st person view in 7. I don't imagine i'll do any better in 8. I'm happy those who liked it get another go.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ginormous76
    @toughshed said:

We will see how much changes in the Remake (I hope some, I would like to be done with the entire last part on the Island for my 2 cents, the zombie commando shit is dumb).

RE4 was my second RE game (the first was playing RE5 co-op). I played it on XBLA. I enjoyed it and my wife and I will still some times talk in the merchant voice. However, I cannot play that game again. I have tried many times. I'll play a few hours and then I'm just done. The back half (maybe more) of the game is just a nuisance to me.

@liquiddragon said:

They have to call RE9 RE sIX if they want to keep sneaking in the sequel number in the title. 🤣

Could be Crucifix (lots of places to go with that, especially following werewolves). Could just be "fix" and they finally stop zombies... for now! Could go "Ixora" and make more plant zombies! So many choices.

@humanity said:

@giant_gamer: A Silent Hill 2 remake using the RE engine would be really spectacular. That game deserves to actually be fun to play because the narrative is really interesting as is the whole psychological nightmare setting. But oh lord was Silent Hill 2 absolute rubbish to play.

I was too scared of horror when I was younger. Now, thanks to RE7 mostly, I am really enjoying and wanting to play horror games. I really want to play SH2, but I don't have a PS2 or gaming PC, I hear the HD remaster made it worse, and it just seems like a game I can't go back to and enjoy.

@regularassmilk said:

This series is in transition. They ended up with bad diminishing returns on the gameplay style of RE4, and made a leap to FPS which I think really paid of in RE7, though it's not my favorite. I think they're trying to find a groove again. The most memorable parts of RE7 for me took place very early on, but if they can refine it some I think they'll end up with a good game. I would move the needle more towards the obvious PT influence on RE7, if I could.

I think RE7's probem is that it goes on too long without changing things up. That's a bad summary, so I will elaborate. I enjoyed everything until the ship. Once you got to the ship, it was more of the molded, a video section that you basically did again as Ethan, and it just felt like it dragged on. It's the section that makes it hard for me to replay RE7, because I know it's there.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@giant_gamer: I have enjoyed both so far. I think RE7 was great as a horror experience until it wore out its welcome. I'm down for more first person RE.

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@ginormous76: Right, this is basically what I felt. I know that this series is...well, what it is, but I thought injecting the spooky backwoods monster family with all of this DEEP GOVERNMENT LORE was deflating, to say the least. The game gives you a bunch of machine gun ammo and then the wheels fly off that motherfucker.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#29  Edited By Icemael

RE7 was great, by far the best one since 4. Fantastic atmosphere, scenarios and pacing, and each area was dripping with character (aside from the parts towards the end, which are the low point of the game). They really nailed the horror aesthetic overall and the first-person perspective was essential to the experience.

I don't understand the love the recent remakes get. In 2, the police station was a great environment and the part where you got pursued by Mr. X was awesome, but every single part of the game that took part outside of that environment was mediocre at best. Also it would 100% have been better and more aesthetically effective as a first-person game in the vein of 7. 3 seems like more of the worst parts of 2 with very little of what made it stand out.

So I am all for them going back to what they had with 7 and expanding on it, especially since the 2 and 3 remakes give me no reason to trust them to produce a version of 4 that's superior to the original, which remains a masterpiece to this day with level design, enemy design and combat mechanics that come together in a way that no other Resident Evil game before or since has been able to match.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ginormous76: yeah but it’d be really good if they went w/ sIX given the response to RE6. 🤣

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By NTM

No, I am happy about it. I was impressed and surprised by it with RE7. It was something to finally change it up, and it worked extremely well in my opinion. After eight, I'll probably be okay with at least one more in that perspective. Plus, you're already getting the remakes in third-person. The main series, for now, stay in first-person, and if remakes keep coming, those can be third.

michaely

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By michaely

Yes, you are right to some extent. After playing the game, I was left with a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. Throughout the game, I felt something wasn't right. Also, I didn't have a strong sense of dread as I did with the previous installments. That's why I loved them. These games could truly scare you and keep you in suspense. I didn't feel that in this one. Although maybe that's because the previous installments have hardened me. But at the same time, there should be some changes in the game. The same thing can quickly get boring. In principle, this does not make the game bad. These mechanics change the passing style, nothing more. There are a lot of good fps games out there. Such as Squad. A great game, though, with not the best optimization. You can learn how to improve the optimization here - https://digitalmasta.com/the-best-settings-for-squad-fps/. I don't understand people. People want games to keep their individuality, but on the other side, demand new mechanics.

personz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

My guess is they just did not want to make a face for Ethan Winters and first person is the easiest way to deal with that. Now that he's dead maybe they will go back to third person with 9 where you play as Rose?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.