Wearing the inkblot mask he fashioned from a discarded dress, a beige trenchcoat and fedora, Rorschach resembles a kind of twisted comic version of an old school detective. He considers the mask his true face and not a costume at all. Rorschach had been one of the members of the Crimebusters, but has continued his one-man battle against crime long after costumed vigilantes became both detested and illegal (made illegal by the Keane Act). Rorschach, many would argue, is the protagonist of Alan Moore's Watchmen. A man with a very black and white sense of the world, embodied in his ink blot mask (there is no gray), Moore portrays him as a person hoping only to eradicate filth from the streets. He sees any transgression of the law as wrong, no matter how small, and seems to punish each with the same impunity. He speaks with an economy of words, using fractured sentences and seeing no need for conjunctives, as seen with, "Give me smallest finger on man's hand. I'll produce information. Computer unnecessary.
Rorschach was played by Jackie Earle Hailey
in the Watchmen movie, directed by Zack Snyder (best known for directing the film adaptation of 300). He is one of the two main protagonists in the prequel video game, Watchmen: The End is Nigh
, which is available for download on XBLA, PSN, and PC. Rorschach is also slated to appear in DC Universe Online
as an NPC.
Quotes from Watchmen
- None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me.
- No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise
- Give me smallest finger on man's hand. I'll produce information. Computer unnecessary.
- Stood in firelight, sweltering. Bloodstain on chest like map of violent new continent. Felt cleansed
- The void breathed hard on my heart, turning it's illusions to ice, shattering them. Was reborn then, free to scrawl own design on this morally blank world
- The world will look up and shout 'Save us!' and I'll whisper 'No.'
- An attack on one, is an attack on all of us
- Funny story. Sounds unbelievable. Probably true.
- Is that what happens to us? A of conflict with no time for friends... ...so that when it's done, only our enemies leave roses.
- Hurrm. Never disposed of sewage with toilet before. Obvious, really. Two - nothing.