Sakura is a female ninja that is in Team 7 along with Naruto and Sasuke. Initially she has a crush on Sasuke, and the events that lead up to his escape hurt her dearly, which puts her in the same spot as Naruto in trying to bring him back. While she despised Naruto at the beginning, she is able to come around to him and eventually envy his
courage as she sees him in battle. Sakura is shown to be very intelligent, but often in games is quite powerless when compared to her male ninja companions. Later in the series Sakura studies under Tsunade and becomes much more skilled in the arts of healing and chakra control.
At the end of the series, it is revealed that she had eventually been romantically involved with childhood crush Sasuke Uchiha, and the two had a daughter together named Sarada.
At the start of the series, Sakura's only defining characteristic is her intelligence, largely due to her interest in memorizing things and the taking of quizzes while in the Academy. Because of this, Sakura is unable to contribute largely in battles, her stamina and overall talent being below average. Soon after the start of her first mission, however, Sakura discovers that she has an excellent control over her chakra, and as such she can use jutsu to their maximum efficiency. While this particular ability is never put to great use in Part I, it becomes a focal point of Sakura's fighting style in Part II.
Sakura's natural control of her chakra has been taken to new heights over the time skip, an ability utilized to its fullest by the training she has done with Tsunade. With her excellent chakra control, Sakura has turned into an excellent combat Medic-nin, and has shown herself to be able to heal fatal injuries with relatively little effort even when more experienced medics would deem it a lost cause. In her training to become a Medic-nin, Sakura has also acquired the ability to pick up on an enemy's movements in a short period of time, a good medic needing to be able to survive a battle if they are to fulfill their purpose. This allows her to predict what will happen before the move comes to play and giving her the upper hand.
If she cannot avoid a battle, Sakura can rely on the super strength taught to her by Tsunade. By building up and releasing her chakra with precise timing, Sakura can easily decimate any obstacle and turn it to rubble. Over time and through repeated use, Sakura has become able to use this strength instinctively and does not need to put any effort into using it. This strength, coupled with her medical expertise and the beauty she gains over the timeskip has caused many to see Sakura as another Tsunade; most likely capable of surpassing her master.
- The name "Haruno" means "spring field". A spring field can be cultivated and orderly or it can be wild, like how Sakura's personality is. "Sakura" means "cherry blossom", which represents loyalty, love, and samurai, in addition to being the national flower of Japan.
- Sakura Haruno shares the same name as Wandaba Style's bratty nursery rhyme singer.
- "Shannaro!" (original Japanese only; it has no literal meaning, but is often translated as "Hell yeah!". The English dub uses "Cha" instead.)
- "Naruto, Sasuke, I'll save you both."
- "Sasuke! I'm so in love with you, I can't even stand it!"
- "Its always like this. The only things I can do for Naruto are small and insignificant."
- "I have to protect those who are important to me."
- "I can't let it end here!"
- "Naruto, I'm worried about you!"
- "...I promised Naruto...I said that this time we'd be together!"
- " I have to help however I can."
- "I'll always get stronger as long as I try!"
- "Didn't you know? Women have to be strong in order to survive."(said to Ino during chunnin exams)