Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sea of Thieves

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Mar 20, 2018

Set in an era of classic piracy, Sea of Thieves is a first-person open-world game where players form a crew of pirates and sail off to find treasure. As it is a "shared world" game, pirate crews can encounter other crews and engage in epic maritime skirmishes.

Should Sea of Thieves include a battle royale mode?

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Poll Should Sea of Thieves include a battle royale mode? (63 votes)

Yes, it could extend the life of the game and give people more reason to come back to the game 19%
    No, Sea of Thieves should try to be more unique in its design 51%
    Stop it with the battle royale games. There are too many of them 30%

A Sea of Thieves developer recently was asked if they wanted to add a battle royale mode to the game. And I thought that it was an idea that certainly made sense. If there was a game that would benefit from battle royale, it would be probably Sea of Thieves. I can imagine pirates being dropped across a small map and then the pirates would need to head to the center before a storm wipes out their ship. Along the way, players can dig up booty or find weapons/treasure in caves.

People have been saying that the game lacked an content and features. With a battle royale mode, more people might stick around to play the game. It's most certainly not an original idea, but it does make sense in a cynical business point of view.

• 
    Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I forgot to include this but here's the interview I mentioned: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/could-sea-of-thieves-add-battle-royale-mode-dev-we/1100-6460215/

WillyOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Content > BR

Charongreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Right, let's stop working on content updates that the people who are playing the game like and instead create an entirely new mode with new assets and dramatically more people in the same space than the game was ever designed for so we can participate in an already crowded space that already has people complaining about how many games are being released, focused mostly on our bad combat systems.

Colossally bad idea. No one who is playing the game wants it and everyone else has already written it off.

MostlySquares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All games should have a battle royale mode. It's the new Deathmatch, and Deathmatch was always rad! Open world deathmatch isn't fun, so BR kinda solves that with tons of players spread out.

Sea of Thieves isn't the game I'd see benefit the most from BR though. It might just devolve into a massive hellfest where everyone is trying to ambush those who are locked in combat and everyone will just pile on...hmm.... Actually that sounds rad. Make it team based and we might have something here!

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sea of Thieves hand to hand combat... leaves much to be desired. Especially with zero diversity in weapons I can't see this being much of anything.

That being said, prove me wrong Rare!

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

So, I think Fortnite is a good co-op game and a bad competitive game...and the competitve mode is the biggest game in the world right now...

I think Sea of Thieves is similar. I think it’s fun to co-op, but the controls don’t feel percise enough for me to enjoy losing.

There’s no “I’ll get them next time” or “they’re really good.” It feels spammy. Maybe it’s me being bad at it. In any event, when PvP happens, I participate and tend to have the will to play sucked out of me for a while.

So no. I think that’s the wrong thing to focus on. But I’m not huge into PvP these days (aside from Overwatch and Street Fighter).

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Sea of Thieves should worry more about becoming an actual game before it starts trying to emulate others.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.