Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 22, 2019

An action game by FromSoftware, the makers of Dark Souls.

Do you think Sekiro should have a difficulty option?

• 108 results
    Girafro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you think Sekiro should have a difficulty option? (401 votes)

Yes 24%
    No 75%

I was thinking about the old debate around the Souls series having difficulty options and I'm thinking Sekiro is the perfect candidate to re-open the fight!

When it comes to the older Souls games I'm not too sure, you can always grind up and farm gear and improve your character or build a magic user, there are builds that make the game easier, but Sekiro has none of that.

I think with the way Sekiro is more mechanics based, with no real character flexibility outside of skill equips and no real way to grind up you stats or improve your character, no weapons or gear sets to swap for utility, it seems like Sekiro is the perfect candidate to introduce difficulty settings into FromSoft games. Even little things, like reducing damage received so that more casual players can learn the timing of parries better without being constantly punished.

Having level ups and improvements locked behind defeating difficult enemies is a neat idea, but it severely limits the ability of players to get by in the game if they are stumped. Unlike Souls games, where a player can grind up a few stats or change their gear, in Sekiro you don't have much choice but to bash your head against the wall until it breaks or you give up. That's fine for some people, but for many it's a deal breaker.

So, what do you think? Do you agree that Sekiro ought to have a difficulty selection or not? And why? I'm looking forward to reading what you have to say!

• 
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Would a difficulty option make me more likely to play Sekiro (and all the other Souls games?) Yes. Does that mean they should have one? No.

Not everything has to be for everyone. From Software are happy to make games for their fanbase. They don't feel the need to cater to me or anyone else outside of that fanbase. And that's fine. If anything, I respect them more for sticking to their vision and not compromising that for larger appeal.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, there are a million games you can play besides From games if they are not fun for you.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, because it wouldn't solve the central problem of the game controlling like mush.

The central premise is great, but I'm really getting tired of the shitty hit detection, bad camera angles, and control that seem to do what they want 20% of the time.

Otuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, difficulty can be part of a game's aesthetics. That's why videogames are such a cool medium!

If you think about Bloodborne, it conveys a feeling of cosmic dread and eldritch misery not only by audiovisual design, but also with tough, almost insurmountable enemies and bosses. It's super coherent in it's vision of what it wants to be, what kind of world it builds. If you could put it on easy, it would most certainly change the atmosphere. I think.

Also, I'm really loving Sekiro this far, From Software is slowly becoming my favourite developer! I got an insane, transcendent feeling of triumph after beating the ninja-butterfly-lady, I literally jumped off my chair and shouted.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really see a good reason why there couldn't be a difficulty option in the game, but I'm left wondering how you would do it. Most hard fights are usually you getting slaughtered over and over and over until you learn how to do it, and once you do you can usually take it down in a handful of tries. Reducing boss hp or damage doesn't really affect the first part. You might not get slaughtered after doing 10% damage, but rather 30%, but that doesn't change much. It would probably take away a few of the execution runs but that's already not the biggest hurdle (and honestly the more entertaining part).

Basically, unless they complete neutered the fights you still have to learn the fights to stand any chance. There's just no way you could mash your way through slightly tweaked versions of the bosses.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure, absolutely.

I'm not interested in it, but there's no downside to being more accessible to other people. It only weeds out people who are inflexible jerks about it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By Humanity

@efesell said:

Sure, absolutely.

I'm not interested in it, but there's no downside to being more accessible to other people. It only weeds out people who are inflexible jerks about it.

Yah my thoughts exactly. I'm not sure I understand the "purity" stance of people that think it absolutely shouldn't have one. Bayonetta had several level of difficulty if you wanted to get hardcore about it and it also have like an automatic one-button mode for people that simply wanted to see the game which was quite a spectacle.

If Sekiro let you play a more casual mode for folks that wanted to experience the story and atmosphere it wouldn't take anything away from people that wanted to do hardcore no-upgrade runs or whatever. If anything they would sell more copies and maybe they would finally fix the shitty camera that is still a problem at times.

@ares42: An easy way of implementing a more casual mode is to make your hits do twice as much damage and for you to take half as much. This way you still have to learn the patterns but you're not getting instantly slaughtered and fights don't take as long.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't even think they'd have to worry about design conflict either because the way they handle NG+ is already just Make the Numbers Bigger.

As a professional non-game designer it sounds to me like the opposite of that for a casual mode is to make the same numbers a little smaller.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By Stephen_Von_Cloud

I think, having played this game for a few hours, it's tuned too damn hard and needs to be toned down anyways. I think, starting with Dark Souls II some but III especially, From started to lose their way with some of the difficulty and balance of their gameplay with challenges for what I think was perfectly done in Demons Souls and Dark Souls 1.

It's left me thinking we will never get games as good as those two again from From sadly.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Few other games have ever given me the same feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment that Sekiro does when I eventually beat an encounter that at first makes me say, "Wait, what am I even supposed to DO against this?" I like having the knowledge that the only thing stopping me from progressing is my own ability, not that I haven't grinded enough XP or found the right armor or weapon yet. In previous From Software games, when faced with a difficult situation my response was always to either go level up some more or call in some help. I was using them as crutches. Now, I just buckle down and try to get better, and it feels great.

If this was what From was going for when they were designing Sekiro, then they nailed it. As far as difficulty options, I'm not one for telling others how they should play or enjoy their games, but I'm not sure how an Easy mode could have been included without completely changing the feeling of the game. I guess there is always Cheat Engine on PC if you want to make the game easier, though.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stephen_von_cloud: While I can see Sekiro being too hard, I'm surprised you would say Dark Souls III is too hard. I personally found III to be the easiest game of the lot and never go stuck. Not saying you're bad, maybe it's a specific build thing.

I dunno how I feel about it. I do think the difficulty of From's games is part of the aesthetic, and I hate the "git gud" or "not all games are made for you" (while technically true, it's obvious how someone could be interested in Dark Souls games without having the gaming experience necessary or capabilities to actually beat them, the game is still "made for them", it's just inaccessible).

In general I think they should have accessibility options à la Celeste, worst case scenario make it disable achievements or shit. It needs to be obvious it's not the way to play, but still be there.

As for Sekiro's difficulty I find that it varies greatly. I just got to a boss that seems doable, but the mini-boss before it was extremely difficult and I basically used a cheap tactic to cheese it. I find the controls to be fine, but some of the hit detection on the enemies' part is somewhat dubious. It lacks a certain fine tuning I guess, which was also the case for Souls game but they were much easier to me.

I love the game otherwise.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Sekiro probably has the roughest start to any of these games but I wouldnt say it's that much harder.

I think, having played this game for a few hours, it's tuned too damn hard and needs to be toned down anyways. I think, starting with Dark Souls II some but III especially, From started to lose their way with some of the difficulty and balance of their gameplay with challenges for what I think was perfectly done in Demons Souls and Dark Souls 1.

It's left me thinking we will never get games as good as those two again from From sadly.

I'd say Bloodborne is the second easiest Souls game From Software have made, it's also my favourite.

Anyway to answer the question, No. These games for better or worse attract people who want to prove to themselves and/or others that they've got skills. If they added an easy mode I could see there being a backlash against it. Personally I wouldnt be too bothered but I think the difficulty makes it cool for people (From Software even lean into this with their marketing) and if you took that away, even as an option, people would be mad.

As an aside when I eventually end up playing Darksiders 3 i'll probably play on that easier/arcadey mode. I dont think having the option is a bad idea but From Software has a reputation with these types of games to live up to and ultimately it seems like what most of the fans want is a difficult game.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@boozak: I still haven't played that one, should be clear on that. Why I was trying to speak to those I had, but from what I hear you are right with that.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#14 sweep  Moderator

I like difficult games and I like the sense of achievement you get for beating them. When it comes to Dark Souls and Bloodborne and now Sekiro, the story is a jumbled mess, so if you take the challenge away then you have very little else.

I appreciate that accessibility is important, but I also have a lot of respect for artists who say "this is my vision and it can only be properly appreciated one way". So no, I don't think there needs to be an easier difficulty.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recently got through Ornstein and Smough in one attempt, so no.

dkraytsberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the difficulty being unavoidable, rather than something like Devil May Cry where you need to go out of your way (hard difficulties and SSS ranks) to get a challenge. Something about it being unavoidable makes it feel more meaningful. Most games have easy modes, or even set normal to be able to be completed by most players, so I like that these are different. Different is good, in my book.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only if it makes some From fans angry, that "casual" people will be able to play and finish the game.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. The difficulty is apart of its identity.

goosemunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have very poor reflex but was able to enjoy DS1 and 2 regardless, thanks to character builds that didn't put much demand on timing. Fromsoftware decided, starting with Bloodborne and DS3, people like me have no business playing their games and sounds like Sekiro doubled down on that. Oh well. I understand that not every game has to be for everyone, but it's a shame I generally admire their craft and world building, and I don't get to experience it first hand.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I wouldn't want any temptation there to just turn the difficulty down if I get stuck on a boss.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell said:

I don't even think they'd have to worry about design conflict either because the way they handle NG+ is already just Make the Numbers Bigger.

As a professional non-game designer it sounds to me like the opposite of that for a casual mode is to make the same numbers a little smaller.

Honestly, this is my favorite argument I've heard for a difficulty change. Total agreement here.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

No. Everything this game is, stems from the difficulty. The difficulty is essential and ingrained into the game at a fundamental level. Playing this on an easy mode would just be a different game. I believe most people would get more out of banging their head against the first boss or even mini boss for hours and finally defeating it than cruising through it on an easy mode, even if they never beat another boss again.

Also, it feels kind of good just to have a set difficulty on a game these days. When someone says, yo I beat Bloodborne (or Sekrio), you know exactly what that means and think fuck yeah dude. That game is hard and we triumphed. You feel like you are part of a club.

I mean realistically, these games are not as hard as people make it seem, but they do take time and patience to get through and they are as rewarding as anything else in videogames. I mean of course it doesn't mean you are some elite gamer or some bullshit for beating them, but it is still a fun challenge and everyone understands exactly what you went through to beat them. And that's kind of fucking cool.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By soulcake

@glots: Best answer :D.

Also Flaming Bull is the worst boss ever made in a souls game. Just super lazy design.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1d502761653
    deactivated-5d1d502761653

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No!

The entire premise is to improve and overcome challenges you initially deemed impossible to master.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By Tennmuerti

I was banging my head against the game initially (and it never quite went away tbh). Between having to break years of ingrained Soulslike habits, occasional traditional soulslike bullshitery of cramped quarter fights with bad camera getting stuck and largely my own stubbornness of playing for too long int the night and being obstinate about trying to crack a deliberately hard boss while tired. The salt got going, let me tell you.

But now, where I am in the game now, looking back I realise what Fromsoft has done is told me the "Souls" "veteran" to "get good" again. The game said: "look fucker, either you learn, learn the mechanics and learn the patience and the enemy timings and the parry/strike rhythms, learn the counters, or you're gonna have a bad time". Simply put the game said "learn" in unequivocal simple terms. And learn I did, through the salt through the rage and through many many deaths and getting stuck for dozens of boss attempts at a time, eventually it got through my thick skull and all my bad habits i've picked up playing souls games that all became too easy in recent years. Eventually I learned (ever so slowly and in tiny chunks and never fully). Fromsoft has done it again, and to someone who all but forgot what that initial Demons Souls experience was like, this felt great!

The point of this little story is that I do fully believe that without it's difficulty, without putting up those severe barriers up, it would not be the same game at all, not even close; I would have brute forced most of bosses (as I already did to some) instead of learning; and learning nothing from those walls, I would have been less prepared for the gameplay ahead, less interested in this game, less engaged, it would have become a yet another been there done there slog. So I am kinda appreciative of what Sekiro did for me as a player again, something I did not expect, kicked my comfortable little ass and told me to learn again. In fact that kinda did happen for a time, I did brute force the game for a bit, I did stop learning and then later on when I started coming up on elite enemies for which I refused to actually learn how to "fight" instead of just beat on like everything else, I got punished hard for said laziness and brute forcing of fights, by not having that core part of the gameplay down, those fights felt ridiculous; even tho had I took my time earlier those same fights would have been totally manageable I am sure (as I have seen them done much easier by people who did learn the patience and the rhythms of Sekiro's combat). And I'm still paying back for said lack of learning in the later half of the game, still. Those are also the reasons why I don't think a tweak up to your dmg or enemy dmg down, would work, it would be detrimental to what the game is, as it would literally enable more of said laziness and never learning and just becoming yet another generic slog. At which point you just have fundamentally different game experiences. Is that ok? Sure in a lot of cases it will be for many, myself included, that's why most games do have difficulty settings in them after all. But in this particular case where the difficulty is such a large, core part of the whole work, I don't begrudge the developers from not including an easy option, and am honestly kind of grateful for it, speaking just for myself as selfish as that may be.

Not everything needs to be for everyone at all times, it's fine for games to have specific niches that limit their overall audience at times on purpose (I have bounced off many game genres too because of their inherent difficulties to me as well). Otherwise we might as well have gruel all around (something the industry danced real close to at a point many years ago).

PS: I know it may sound real dumb and I wouldn't blame anyone for rolling their eyes and telling me to fuck off. But. People say that games are art; or at least large parts of them can be; and we know it's not just about the art assets in the games or the audio/visual aspect of them, game design itself is at times an artistic form imo, so expand this just a tiny bit further, difficulty can be used as part of that artistic intent too. Obviously not every game needs to do it, nor is it even healthy for every game to do so. Occasionally however it's great that it can be.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By gerrid

For me, Miyazaki games are an artistic attempt to fuse the gameplay and the narrative and the world into a coherent whole. The interactive parts of the game aren't just a vehicle for the narrative or the world, or vice versa.

All of those things are carefully balanced so that each one teaches about the other, and they combine into a singular thematic journey for the player. What you go through in the game informs the way you understand the story and the world, and both of those things give more depth to the gameplay too. It's through struggling repeatedly that you are supposed to come to some insight about the games' themes and the reflections that the creators are exploring. You as the player struggling with the game and your learning and progress and failure are part of the game's world as much as the NPCs and the enemies are. They present a core part of understanding not only the story, but also empathising with the characters or asking questions about how you personally approach things.

A good example for me is in Dark Souls 2, seeing the lamentable state of King Vendrick, a fight that is much more poignant when you yourself have had to go through the struggles he has, but you managed to find the will to carry on where he did not. This isn't reaching for unspoken themes either, it's very explicit in Dark Souls, characters repeatedly warning you about going hollow and giving up, and praising you for not doing that or being surprised that you have had the will to carry on despite the setbacks.

So, personally, being able to just steamroll through the gameplay element would break the thing that actually makes these games stand out. Saying that the Miyazaki games are popular just because of the difficulty is reductionist I think, it really is the thoughtful application of videogames as a craft that elevates them above others, like Lords of the Fallen or Nioh or the Surge, which pull the same trick with gameplay, but never reach the heights of these games. Having an easy mode would be, to me, like saying the puzzles in The Witness should be easy, or have an "auto complete" button in case you get stuck. By making them accessible like that, you essentially ruin the integrity of what is being presented, since you are only engaging with the games as a single facet of what they are - just looking at the raw mechanical aspect of the game.

The irony is though, that people who get put off by the difficulty obviously never get far in enough to catch any of that artistic harmony (and of course some people just don't engage with games on that level anyway), so the games just seem hard for the sake of it. Or it seems like the reason they are hard is so that you feel satisfaction when you overcome a challenge, which is not really what the game is about either. And I definitely agree that sometimes the games are hard because of bad design, or certain sections are hard for the sake of it, there's no denying that. But overall the intention is explicit.

Put it this way, if thematically the game is about perseverance and determination, what does it look like when no perseverance or determination is required from the player? What you end up with is a story you are witness to but not part of, and a weaker one for that.

The thing is, if you really only engage with games on a mechanical level, or personally didn't jive with the way these stories are presented or think they say anything worthwhile, everything I said sounds like a load of artsy horse crap. I get that.

Gazoinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Gazoinks

I have kind of complicated feelings about this. On one hand I'm all for accessibility, but I'm also all for using game mechanics as a narrative device, and I think the Soulsbornekiro games do that very well in a way that would be harmed by reducing the difficulty. That said, there's maybe a place for something like Celeste did where they straight up say "we think the difficulty is really important to what we're trying to do with the game, but it's too much for you here's some stuff to help you out". So I don't know. I don't have an answer, but it's an interesting question.

A second thing is this: Would these games be fun if they were easy? Like with Celeste's accessibility stuff, you've still got the core of athletic platforming, which is kind of inherently enjoyable. But in something like a Souls game, the actual mechanics are pretty simple and a lot of the interest in the gameplay is in how you deal with and adjust to mounting challenges. I feel like they could be potentially pretty boring if made easier. I don't meant that in a "hur git gud" way, but just in the sense that it might reveal how bare-bones a lot of the core systems in these games actually are. That might be less of the case in Sekiro though, I haven't played enough to know.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

On one hand, I don't see how a difficulty option for people that want/need it would be a bad thing. It wouldn't change anything for people that want to play on the original difficulty.

On the other hand, I don't really know if that many more people would play the game because of it. Difficulty is really what people play these games for. I've tried all of the previous ones, but always burn out before finishing. And not just because I get frustrated after repeated deaths on a boss or whatever. The basic game play of these games has just never been that enjoyable to me. Because of that, I doubt I will ever even play Sekiro, whether it had a difficulty option or not.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a bit conflicted because I don't like the idea of gatekeeping games but on the other hand the Souls games have always tied the difficulty and death mechanic into the story. Death, dying, and difficulty has never been more highlighted than it is in Sekiro now.

The game's narrative stems from you dying and being undying. It's a lot like the whole ordeal with the Undead curse in Dark Souls, only the tone has shifted from "you will die over and over again" into "you dying is hurting the world and the people in it". There's a bigger and better connection to the story than there was in previous games and I actually feel a tinge of regret and guilt when I see the Dragonrot notifications pop up. I don't know these people all that well, but I know I'm causing them suffering with my poor play. Which makes it getting better at the game feel better also. I'm playing well not just so I don't die, but also so these people don't share the pain of my mistakes.

But this is also a 100% single player experience. One thing about the Souls games was the difficulty could be mitigated by summoning other players. That's pretty much akin to easy mode, even if your summons were worse than you. Just having an extra body to take aggro off, even if they weren't very good, helps against boss fights you're facing a wall on. The fact that there are NPCs to summon for almost every major boss fight in each of the Souls games shows that they at the very least wanted to give players some help if they were struggling solo. But as far as I'm aware of (I'm past the first lightning boss) there's been only one case of an NPC fighting along side you and he was pretty worthless. The game is leaning pretty heavily on the "No, seriously, get good" issues this time around. As much as the game rewards "lame it out" in some early boss fights, eventually you can't cheese enemies by running away or chipping at their health. You need to master or at least get way more familiar with the perfect deflect and posture system. Some people just won't be able to beat this game.

It honestly makes me worry about future games in this genre. I'm getting older, I can notice a significant decrease in my finger dexterity in some games. When I'm no longer able to physically get good, I don't know if I'll be able to play these kinds of games without some sort of difficulty adjustment. Luckily that's where mods come in, but judging from how defensive gamers got over people modding out Mr. X from RE2make I doubt it'd go over well.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
    deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted no, I see the argument that it doesn't detract from people that want to play it the hard way but for me if the option's there and I'm stuck on a boss I'm always gonna have the temptation to drop the difficulty.

The game's already given me some of my most satisfying victories and I'm not very far in, a big part of that satisfaction is from having to really nail the combat to progress. If the option was there, instead of retrying and improving until I was actually good at it, I may have just dropped it and R1 spammed my way through, cheating myself out of that satisfaction.

This exact thing happened to me with Furi, played up to the last jailer on the standard difficulty, got pretty competent (but not enough) with the mechanics. After many failed attempts I dropped the difficulty and spammed through instead of mastering the combat and I really wish I hadn't.

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I know I won't finish it, but Sekiro is a brilliant game.

Almeida69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Well, its a From game. I think the whole point of these games is to be challenging. The Souls games are more flexible but they still present a challenge, just not like this. You might spend hours grinding in a Souls game, just to get more health and damage, but you need to spend that time in Sekiro learning how to parry and dodge the boss you are fighting. The parry window is already very large. You can basically spam the guard button a lot of times and you will parry something. And I think the point of this game is to learn how the combat works tbh. Its basically a fighting game. There are only two fights in this game that I would call cheap tbh.

Mild Spoiler:

The game can be way harder on the second run. You have the option to get have less poise and take more damage

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its rough to see a No on the basis oh "I don't want to be tempted".

It wouldn't be for you! Think of other people!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

I know I won't finish it, but Sekiro is a brilliant game.

Not with that attitude you won't!

I'm kidding. I felt like that at the first few mini bosses and the first boss...then I started beating them, and getting better, and progressing further and further. I don't think I'm even good at these games, but I'm going to make it.

Girafro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for all the thoughtful responses guys, I've enjoyed reading what you all think!

Personally, I still side with Yes (not that this was meant to change anyone's mind so much as to open a dialogue) even though I am the type to bash into that wall until I crack it. I've been stumped in Soulsborne games before and I've pulled through.

And while I agree that the difficulty is part of the game's selling point I think most of the environmental story telling and "so mysterious" characters can be pretty charming regardless of how tough it is to reach those areas. Some folks are probably happy just to explore the world, to not be so harshly punished. I'm not sure what an easier mode would look like, reduced damage could be a great way in Sekiro to master the combat system, less punishing to try and retry, maybe greater rewards to push along progress? And if you did these two things without changing the timing and skill, just reducing the punishment, does that really reduce the quality of the game?

And here's another follow up question, I've seen a few folks mention that getting stuck would be too big of a temptation to just drop difficulty to clear a hurdle but, what if there was set difficulty? As in, "you cannot change this after you've selected it" like some games have.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Ungodly

The difficulty to these games come from learning the systems at work. Usually once you learn how to play the games, they become easier. Sure there’s a couple of spots where you think the games are being bastards, but by and large you could find yourself thinking it’s too easy once you figure it all out.

That’s why I don’t think they can change the difficulty. It’s inherent to the gameplay, and to give you a difficulty option, would fundamentally change the experience. I’m not one to shame someone for how they play games. I’m also not one to boast about how great I am for being better at games than most people. I will say that the first thing you should know about From Software’s games; 1) You need patience 2) Don’t feel bad about dying 3) These games aren’t as hard as people say they are, and 4) You aren’t special if you beat a Souls game.

In short. I don’t think these games need a difficulty option, because they’re not difficult in a conventional way.

goosemunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have problem learning the systems. I'm just physically incapable of reacting in time. You might as well tell a colourblind person to learn to see a new colour. An ideal "easy" mode for me wouldn't be reduced enemy health or damage or anything like that, but rather slowed game clock or relaxed timing windows. In lieu of selectable difficulty, maybe the ideal solution is to have the game dynamically adjust difficulty based on player's skill/performance. But then again almost everybody hates dynamic difficulty.

Avatar image for deactivated-6357e03f55494
    deactivated-6357e03f55494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I think this would be good for some people who are intrigued by the souls games, I think it would compromise the game in the eyes of the devs. I personally, love banging my head against a boss for hours and then I finally see something which makes it a breeze. This, in my opinion, is what the devs want to happen.

I think what the creators want for their game should come first and foremost, and they cater where they can.

darklingscribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By darklingscribe

I have to say yes I think it needs a difficulty option. I’ve never had good reflexes, but the dark souls games and even Bloodborne gave me wiggle room to plan fights in advance and approach them however I wanted to. The problem with sekiro is that, by and large, there is only one correct way to do certain fights and the game kills you if you don’t do the fight that way. There are certain fights where I know what it is I need to do, but my reaction times just are not where the game demands them to be and they never will be.

Put me in a room with 100 people where everyone has a light and a button. If you asked everyone to press their button as fast as possible after they see the light turn on, I’d guarantee you that I’d be in the slowest 5% no matter how many times it’s done. That’s how my body works. This has never been much of a problem with the other FromSoft games for me, but with Sekiro I’ve reached a point in certain fights where I know exactly what it is I need to do and what the tells are, but i’m too slow reguarless and dying another 100 times to the same guy isn’t going to change that.

Avatar image for bicycle_repairman
    Bicycle_Repairman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gerrid: You are 100% correct. Exactly how i feel and experienced the soul games. The difficulty in these games is not because some kind of hardcore true gamer BS. Its an integral part of an artistic piece. I actually slightly teared up meeting Vendric for the first time.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#42  Edited By geirr

The Souls games already have difficulty levels. When you hit start you're technically playing on the lowest difficulty - and like many other games, you unlock higher difficulty levels as you go; NG+1, +2, +3 etc.

If the game was easier from the start I feel I'd lose out of amazing streams like Jeff eating a sandwich while playing Dark Souls, in which you see a fine, superbly mature man first dick around in the game and then 50+ streams later, against all the naysayers, manage to do the impossible.
    I dare say Load Our Last Souls here on GB would be kinda boring if you didn't know they were playing on the "default" difficulty setting.

If you absolutely think the Souls games would be more fun on "easy mode", get one of them PC and try it with cheat engine. I think it sounds ruinous BUT a friend of mine is enjoying Sekiro with endless healing items only. They still die all the time but at least some of the difficulty has been lifted.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jesus_Phish
    @sweep said:

I like difficult games and I like the sense of achievement you get for beating them. When it comes to Dark Souls and Bloodborne and now Sekiro, the story is a jumbled mess, so if you take the challenge away then you have very little else.

I appreciate that accessibility is important, but I also have a lot of respect for artists who say "this is my vision and it can only be properly appreciated one way". So no, I don't think there needs to be an easier difficulty.

Very few games present their stories the way From games do. The stories have to be unraveled as you go through, often only getting answers for early questions through item descriptions you acquire late in the game. It's one of my favourite part about them and there's not enough games that can manage to get away with it.

I'm happy to let From make the games the way they want to. If they don't want to let you play it on an easier difficultly setting then that's their choice.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
    deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell said:

Its rough to see a No on the basis oh "I don't want to be tempted".

It wouldn't be for you! Think of other people!

It would still be a real risk to my enjoyment, why should I put other peoples enjoyment above my own? How is that any better than them putting my enjoyment first and leaving the difficulty as is? Plus, if this poll is anywhere close to being indicative of the broader sentiment, a minority of people would actually want the change anyway.

I don't mean for that to sound shitty but I can't think of a more sensitive way to put it...

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SethMode

@someoneproud: What? How does having different difficulty levels impact your playing of the game at all?

This is like the Smash discussion all over again. Simply having the option there does not impact your life in any capacity whatsoever. It isn't taking something away from you so that someone else can enjoy it more. It is ADDING something so that more people might enjoy a thing. When people take issue with this it makes them sound like part of their enjoyment is knowing other people can't or don't enjoy something and that's really weird and yes, sounds pretty shitty.

Nordom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode said:

@someoneproud: What? How does having different difficulty levels impact your playing of the game at all?

This is like the Smash discussion all over again. Simply having the option there does not impact your life in any capacity whatsoever. It isn't taking something away from you so that someone else can enjoy it more. It is ADDING something so that more people might enjoy a thing. When people take issue with this it makes them sound like part of their enjoyment is knowing other people can't or don't enjoy something and that's really weird and yes, sounds pretty shitty.

For some people including myself, I do not play games above normal difficulty and have no problem turning it down if need be.

However, that also means that if I am to enjoy a difficult game, not having the option to turn the difficulty down can be important. I am certain that when I died the first time playing Dark Souls 1 and there was a way for me to turn the difficulty down, I would have done that right away.

If you ask me to bang my head against a wall in order to break it down, don't give me an option to walk around the wall because I might very well take that option and not get the potential greater experience in the long run.

So it does affect me. Which is why I am glad they don't put in difficulty options. Though I sympathize with people that cannot get into these games because of it. But considering that most games, expecially at this budget and scale, allow you way more options and let you play how you want, I like and want there to be room for games to do things differently and I think it is one of the reasons these Soulslike games get alot of attention and acclaim.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SethMode

@nordom: My point wasnt that it didn't impact a person, it was that it's a bad reason to advocate the feature not being there. If you want it to be difficult, stick with the hard difficulty. Other people shouldn't be left out just because others somehow seem to have no self control when it comes to difficulty options in video games...which is a thing I can't believe that I'm typing.

If keeping a hard game hard is important to you, keep it on hard. Otherwise,I guess it isn't as important as you're saying and it certainly isn't a reason to basically exclude other players.

EDIT: To be clear, I voted for no difficulty options, because I think if the designers wanted to put one in, they would have. I just am bothered by this idea that people think a good reason to not include them is because they can't help themselves if other options are there.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode: you are once again totally invalidating somebody's opinion and thoughts because it doesn't mesh with your own. If somebody doesn't want there to be difficulty options thats totally upto them and it's totally a vaild opinion stop trying to pretend like it isn't and stop trying to make them feel somehow bad for it.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SethMode

@frodobaggins: What are you even talking about? Just because my opinion differs from you about this, I'm not telling anyone to feel bad. Feel however you want. But this IS an internet forum so we're all offering our opinions about something we have zero control over. If anyone is trying to invalidate anyone here, it's you. I'm allowed to think that that's a bad approach. I never said anyone was a bad person, or that they shouldn't feel the way that they do, I just don't think it's particularly fair or healthy IN MY OPINION. This is a topic about difficulty levels in Sekiro, and I'm on topic. Either way, if it bothers you so much, just block me.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.